watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Should Matches be longer?

Started by Andy S, December 08, 2014, 07:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

90 minutes was the standard time of a match before there were a probable 6 substitutions. So with players being substituted who some how always manage to walk off from the far side of the pitch waving to their own supporters and shaking the hand of the ref on the way as well as deliberate time wasting by managers and players alike. would it now be the right time to add a statutory 10 minutes to a game, (5 minutes to each half) Then the referee could book time wasters and get rid of the added time boards pitch side giving the punter better value for money

TonyGilroy

I think there's a case for only counting time when the ball is in play.

Maybe 30 minute halves but of real playing time

Northern Cottager

The way we've played for the last few years I'd be up for them shortening games to 20 minutes, were usually well put of the game by then...

westcliff white

Every day is a Fulham day

Andy S

That is not true northern Cottager as a lot of our goals were conceded during the last 10 minutes

MJG

TG is right that the ball is only actually in play for about an hour anyway out of 90 minutes.
I'm in favour of taking the time keeping away from the Ref and like in other sports we should all know exactly how long is left in a game. Stop clock when ball is out of play,  injuries and substitutions.

Berserker

Longer when it's nice warm weather, shorter when it's cold, or wet or both
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

YankeeJim

Yep, we needed a longer match last Friday. There just wasn't enough pain to go round.   079.gif
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Andy S on December 08, 2014, 07:43:17 PM
That is not true northern Cottager as a lot of our goals were conceded during the last 10 minutes

Sorry, do apologise! Should have done my homework before cracking a joke!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

MiltonBurrows

Quote from: MJG on December 08, 2014, 07:53:02 PM
TG is right that the ball is only actually in play for about an hour anyway out of 90 minutes.
I'm in favour of taking the time keeping away from the Ref and like in other sports we should all know exactly how long is left in a game. Stop clock when ball is out of play,  injuries and substitutions.

Really, the ball is out of play for 30 minutes within a game?? That seems a very long time.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

MJG

Quote from: MiltonBurrows on December 09, 2014, 02:44:43 PM

Really, the ball is out of play for 30 minutes within a game?? That seems a very long time.
http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/05/how-much-football-is-there-in-match.html

This shows its from 55-65 minutes pretty much

MiltonBurrows

Quote from: MJG on December 09, 2014, 02:49:29 PM
Quote from: MiltonBurrows on December 09, 2014, 02:44:43 PM

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/05/how-much-football-is-there-in-match.html

This shows its from 55-65 minutes pretty much

Christ, never realized it would be that much before. So in theory, there should be at on average around 15 minutes of stoppage time at the end of each half?

MJG

This covers all the 2010-11 games in the PL

TonyGilroy

West Ham and Stoke on the left presumably.

MJG

The three games that had 44 minutes worth of actual football in them that season were

Blackburn Rovers vs Stoke City (Matchday 19)
   Sunderland vs Newcastle United (Matchday 23)
   Stoke City vs Sunderland (Matchday 26)

EDIT: TG almost spot on

Syd Cupp

Should Matches be longer ??? .....It depends on who is in goal for us ....Some games could end up embarrassing..!!

In all honesty i think if the ref would have to stop the match everytime the ball went out a game could easily last over 2 hours and worse if it was a cup game with extra time.
but still interesting to see how much of the 90 mins is actual game time.

MJG

Quote from: Syd Cupp on December 09, 2014, 03:01:09 PM
Should Matches be longer ??? .....It depends on who is in goal for us ....Some games could end up embarrassing..!!

In all honesty i think if the ref would have to stop the match everytime the ball went out a game could easily last over 2 hours and worse if it was a cup game with extra time.
but still interesting to see how much of the 90 mins is actual game time.
See my last few posts for that data.

To play a FULL 90 min game you would need to play about 135 minutes for example. If you stopped clock every time ball stopped.

MiltonBurrows

Quote from: MJG on December 09, 2014, 02:57:14 PM
The three games that had 44 minutes worth of actual football in them that season were

I'd like to see those stats for Palace under Pulis  to see whether he has the most horrible football brain I have ever seen.

MJG

Quote from: MiltonBurrows on December 09, 2014, 03:05:33 PM
Quote from: MJG on December 09, 2014, 02:57:14 PM

I'd like to see those stats for Palace under Pulis  to see whether he has the most horrible football brain I have ever seen.
Its not data they produce that often and cant find it for last season. But Palace last year did have the worst possession and pass success rate of any team in the PL which may point to how they played.