watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Christmas Films

Started by SP, December 09, 2014, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Born Free (1966) - must be 30+ years since watching this film at the Saturday Morning Pictures & it's still stands up pretty well despite the slightly wooden acting.  Virginia McKenna & Bill Travers star with a beautiful sound track by John Barry & Matt Monro singing the title song. 

Any other forgotten gems?

MisfitKid

Begins and ends with "A Christmas Story".
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Forever Fulham

It's a Wonderful Life.  You've got stuttering Jimmy Stewart, an angel named Clarence (trying to get his wings), and the evil town banker, Mr. Potter.  Jimmy Stewart's character was utterly believable, and 20 minutes into the film, you're hooked. 

Move forward a whole lotta decades, and there's "Elf", something of a tour de force by comic actor Will Ferrell. 

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Forever Fulham on December 09, 2014, 09:27:24 PM
It's a Wonderful Life.  You've got stuttering Jimmy Stewart, an angel named Clarence (trying to get his wings), and the evil town banker, Mr. Potter.  Jimmy Stewart's character was utterly believable, and 20 minutes into the film, you're hooked. 

Move forward a whole lotta decades, and there's "Elf", something of a tour de force by comic actor Will Ferrell. 

These two and A Christmas Story are those that immediately come to mind as seasonal "must see's" for me.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Forever Fulham

Also, there's a Finnish movie (2010) titled Rare Exports, A Christmas Tale.  I've never seen it.  Critics raved about it when it came out, and I've been meaning to finally rent it.  Anybody watched it?  Any good?

Mince n Tatties

Bad Santa....Billy Bob Thornton.

Berserker

Quote from: Forever Fulham on December 09, 2014, 10:05:12 PM
Also, there's a Finnish movie (2010) titled Rare Exports, A Christmas Tale.  I've never seen it.  Critics raved about it when it came out, and I've been meaning to finally rent it.  Anybody watched it?  Any good?
Yes saw it in Dublin when the film was first released. Loved it so much I pre-ordered it when i came back on DVD.

Also like A Nightmare before Christmas
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Fulham Tup North

Princess Bride..... Wallace Shawn, Andre the Giant, Robin Wright.
'Swash-Buckling' fun for all the family and a great scene where two guys have to decide which glass has poison in it.  Very funny scene.
:)
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

HatterDon

We have about 15 versions of A Christmas Carol in the house, and always try to watch a half dozen or so. There's nothing quite so uplifting as a man so lost being redeemed.

Most of the very popular Christmas movies don't work for me. The one about the little fat bespectacled child from Cleveland who wants a bee-bee gun is the greatest atrocity of them all. I must confess, though, that despite the fact that I usually cringe at the very sight of Will Farrell, I do enjoy Elf immensely.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

Yes I like Elf.

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Lighthouse

Yes like Mr Hatter I always play A Christmas Carol at Christmas. Has to be old Alistair Sim doing his stuff. Oh and The Muppets Christmas Carol.

Although not a Christmas film I always watch Pleasantville. Another feel good film.

In days of DVD I tend to watch films all the time as the days of good Christmas TV are gone. When my Sister was alive she insisted on watching the Lord of The Rings trilogy. Which took up most of the Christmas Hols. But I shall stick to films like Peter Cushing in Doctor Who and hope some decent Marx Brothers films or some classic black and white holiday musicals turn up.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

colcliff

Bad Santa  totally bad taste  but brilliant
for a real sickly Xmas film miracle on 34th street
and then they always show escape to victory  worth watching for Peles overhead kick and Stallone's terrible goal keeping

The Equalizer

Die Hard - the best Christmas film ever!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

MJG

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 10, 2014, 08:57:14 AM
Die Hard - the best Christmas film ever!
I had been thinking about posting that as well.
Depends what you want really, is it a list of films shown at XMAS or set during XMAS?

If its the latter I'm going to have to say White Christmas, if its the former can only be The Great Escape.

Berserker

Alan Rickman was good in Diehard

- Martin Luther King Jr.

muiscatron

Scrooged - Bill Murray at his best. Best scene - where the homeless shelter guys think he's Richard Burton.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Berserker on December 10, 2014, 11:05:41 AM
Alan Rickman was good in Diehard

Good? GOOD? He was bloody amazing! Best movie villain of all time, in my opinion!

"It's Christmas Theo! It's the time for miracles!"
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Fulham1959

For older members :

Bachelor Mother (1939) starring Miss G. Rogers, David Niven and Charles Coburn

Set at Christmas and moving through into New Year, this is as good a romcom as you'll ever see.  It's very slickly made, very funny and Miss Rogers never looked more desirable : mainly demure in this role but quick witted and very occasionally sassy.  The DVD was hard to find but my thanks goes to the originator of this topic as I've just checked on Amazon and it was released this year.

I do have a colourised version on DVD, within a box set, but have never watched it, preferring to view my old b/w VHS copy transferred to DVD.

By the way, I'm not ashamed to say I love well made romcoms from any era.

(When I tried to type the actress's first name, it was changed to 'special one'  -  I kid you not!  You try it.)

Deanothefulhamfan

It's a wonderful life, Elf, Home Alone, The Grinch and Die Hard are among our DVD's that we bought in China that we simply had to watch at Xmas....

This year we will add to the collection no doubt, and your suggestions are being noted....

I am 29 going on 6, and absolutely love Christmas.... God knows what I will be like when I have kids haha

The Equalizer

Quote from: Fulham1959 on December 10, 2014, 12:16:44 PM
For older members :

Bachelor Mother (1939) starring Miss G. Rogers, David Niven and Charles Coburn

Set at Christmas and moving through into New Year, this is as good a romcom as you'll ever see.  It's very slickly made, very funny and Miss Rogers never looked more desirable : mainly demure in this role but quick witted and very occasionally sassy.  The DVD was hard to find but my thanks goes to the originator of this topic as I've just checked on Amazon and it was released this year.

I do have a colourised version on DVD, within a box set, but have never watched it, preferring to view my old b/w VHS copy transferred to DVD.

By the way, I'm not ashamed to say I love well made romcoms from any era.

(When I tried to type the actress's first name, it was changed to 'special one'  -  I kid you not!  You try it.)

Make that for 'all members', I'm 38 and absolutely love the classics. I've seen this film before, quite a while back, and can't actually remember it very well. Will keep an eye open for it.

Thanks for the recommendation!