watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 04.07.10

Started by White Noise, July 03, 2010, 10:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/07/04/bilic-wanted-as-new-fulham-boss-102039-22380037
/

Bilic wanted as new Fulham boss

Jul 4 2010 by CRouter CRouter, The People

SLAVEN BILIC has emerged as a main contender to become Fulham manager.

Chairman Mohamed Al Fayed is a huge admirer of the Croatia boss, and is keen to sound him out over the prospect of replacing Roy Hodgson.

Stuart Pearce has also entered the frame following the fall-out from England's World Cup nightmare.

But Bilic was approached about becoming manager before Hodgson began his reign in 2007 – and Fulham will try to tempt him away from his national side again as they move into a new era. The 41-year-old remained in contact with Fayed during Hodgson's time at Craven Cottage.

The Fulham owner even invited the whole Croatia side to Harrods when they played England in September, and is hugely impressed by Bilic's list of European contacts and impressive knowledge of potential transfer targets overseas.

Fulham return to pre-season training tomorrow and chief executive Alistair Mackintosh is being bombarded with applications.

Sven Goran Eriksson is favourite and keen on the job but has not yet been approached, while Alan Curbishley and Mark Hughes are options that will be closely considered. England under-21 manager Pearce is on the short-list too though, and would be interested.

He worked with Mackintosh at Manchester City and believes he has improved as a boss and coach since leaving Eastlands in May 2007.

Pearce went to the World Cup as part of Fabio Capello's team and realises it could be time to return to club management.

Despite rumours of a move to Liverpool, captain Danny Murphy, 33, is set to remain at the club as they plan to offer him his first coaching role once he hangs up his boots.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/07/04/mexico-star-heads-for-upton-park-102039-22380036/

Hammers plan to spend in the next few days, with a battle on to beat French club Bordeaux to Nice striker Loic Remy – an offer of £12m could be accepted shortly.

And Lyon striker Frederic Piquionne is also talking terms with them after his club put him up for sale at £1.2m. He is swaying towards West Ham after West Brom failed to match his wages.

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on July 04, 2010, 10:19:57 PM

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/07/04/bilic-wanted-as-new-fulham-boss-102039-22380037
/

Despite rumours of a move to Liverpool, captain Danny Murphy, 33, is set to remain at the club as they plan to offer him his first coaching role once he hangs up his boots.

Good move for you Danny and the team!
Fulham for life!

ScalleysDad

What I love most about this "stuff" thread is how quickly it can throw up all sorts of sub topics and points of view. So here we are just before cocoa time and we have revelations from the dressing room and Bilic in the frame. I wonder who will have the biggest kiss and tell book. Probably a thoughtful collection of prose from Hangeland competing with a pamphlet in crayon by Konch..........

Maybe IF the revelations have some substance the player exit might not be such a threat

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 04, 2010, 11:06:54 AM

Some Fulham players think Roy Hodgson's move to Liverpool could all end in tears.

"I'm not entirely sure this is the right move for Roy," one senior player at Fulham told the Sunday Mirror. "He's a lovely bloke and I wish him all the success in the world but I suspect he might have taken on more than he can handle going to Liverpool.

"He loathes confrontation and can't handle egos and troublesome personalities. He bit off more than he could chew with Jimmy Bullard at Fulham, so can you imagine him dealing with players at Liverpool like Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Fernando Torres who have enormous power in and out the dressing room?

"He can also be rigid and inflexible as well. Certain players hit a bad run of form at Fulham but Roy refused to make changes even though their performances on the field were deteriorating."

Another player said: "Roy likes to surround himself with a certain type of player. Foreign players are less likely to come and smash down the manager's door complaining about not playing.

"He doesn't want troublemakers at the club, he wants players who are happy to sit patiently biding their time waiting to play. If there are problems he will promise you the world, fail to deliver but leave his coaching staff to deal with the fall-out.

"Personally, I think he has made a big mistake going to Liverpool. Steve McClaren is a good example of what can happen when you step out of your comfort zone. Didn't he lead Middlesbrough to a major European final? Look what happened to him when he left and took over England. It's a big gamble

Who do you think said these things? Duff and Dempsey perhaps?
The Dude abides.

White Noise

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/184713/GianFranco-Zola-top-choice-for-Fulham-job

GIANFRANCO ZOLA TOP CHOICE FOR FULHAM JOB 

Gianfranco Zola is the player's favourite to manage Fulham

Sunday July 4,2010

By Colin Mafham

GIANFRANCO Zola last night emerged as the players' favourite to succeed Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage.

They believe the popular Sardinian and Steve Clarke are the pair to build on the team bonding template Hodgson established so successfully at Fulham.

Zola is, however, still licking his wounds over his sacking by West Ham and will need some persuading to return to management so quickly.

Alan Curbishley is still the bookies' favourite for the job, with Sven-Goran Eriksson also in the running.

White Noise

Kop job could be too tough for Hodge

Published 23:00 03/07/10 By Paul Smith

Roy Hodgson has taken a monumental gamble joining Liverpool, according to senior sources at Fulham.

The 62-year-old, who joined the London club in 2007 and guided them to the Europa League final last season, is even being tipped to fail at Anfield by some players at Craven Cottage.

Others claim that, although Hodgson is widely respected in the game, his brand of management and style of football will have to change radically if he is going to succeed at Liverpool.

"I'm not entirely sure this is the right move for Roy," claimed one senior player at Fulham. "He's a lovely bloke and I wish him all the success in the world but I suspect he might have taken on more than he can handle going to Liverpool.

"He loathes confrontation and can't handle egos and troublesome personalities.

"He certainly bit off more than he could chew with Jimmy Bullard at Fulham, so can you imagine him dealing with players at Liverpool like Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Fernando Torres who have enormous power in and out the dressing room?

"He can also be rigid and inflexible as well. Certain players hit a bad run of form at Fulham but Roy refused to make changes even though their performances on the field were deteriorating."

Another player said: "Roy likes to surround himself with a certain type of player. Foreign players are less likely to come and smash down the manager's door complaining about not playing.

"He doesn't want troublemakers at the club, he wants players who are happy to sit patiently biding their time waiting to play.

"If there are problems he will promise you the world, fail to deliver but leave his coaching staff to deal with the fall-out.

"Personally, I think he has made a big mistake going to Liverpool.

"Steve McClaren is a good example of what can happen when you step out of your comfort zone. Didn't he lead Middlesbrough to a major European final? Look what happened to him when he left and took over England. It's a big gamble."

But it's Hodgson's style of play that will have to change if he is to make a real success of his move to Liverpool.

A senior insider at Fulham said: "I think you can get away with a certain style of football at a club like Fulham but that won't be tolerated at Liverpool.

"Perhaps senior figures at Liverpool and the supporters want a more settled team after the way Rafa Benitez rotated the squad.

"But Roy has a certain way of playing and sticks to it. Perhaps he will adopt a more flexible tactical approach at Liverpool but he certainly showed no sign of doing that at Fulham.

"He also has to contend with a very unstable environment, co-owners at each others throats and very demanding supporters who have been starved of success in recent years.

"At Fulham Roy could manage without pressure but he won't have the same luxury at Liverpool.

"And I'm not sure how he will deal with Kenny Dalglish, who clearly wanted the job ahead of him."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Senior-Fulham-players-are-septic-about-whether-Roy-Hodgson-can-succeed-at-Liverpool-article512791.html#ixzz0skuS0Zkt