https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 04.07.10

Started by White Noise, July 03, 2010, 10:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Sven Goran Eriksson heads Fulham shortlist to replace Roy Hodgson

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 9:58 PM on 3rd July 2010

Fulham plan to appoint a high-calibre manager to succeed Roy Hodgson in the next fortnight, with front-runners Sven Goran Eriksson and Mark Hughes joined by US World Cup coach Bob Bradley.

Owner Mohamed Fayed wants a manager with an established reputation and former England manager Eriksson, who has a good personal relationship with chief executive Alistair Mackintosh from their time together at Manchester City, is seen as the leading contender.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1291794/Sven-Goran-Eriksson-heads-Fulham-shortlist-replace-Roy-Hodgson.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0senQjyYO

White Noise

Capello is also likely to include youngsters Jack Rodwell, of Everton, and Arsenal pair Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs, along with Fulham's 29-year-old striker, Bobby Zamora, either against Hungary in August or the following month for the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1291670/WORLD-CUP-2010-Englands-flops-chop-confirms-Fabio-Capello-injured-skipper-Rio-Ferdinand-backs-retained-boss.html#ixzz0seoyc1Mc

White Noise

Roy Hodgson wants Ashley Young to lead Anfield revival

By Joe Bernstein

Last updated at 10:49 PM on 3rd July 2010

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young is top of Roy Hodgson's wishlist as he tries to add British players to his Liverpool team.

Hodgson, who has strongly denied that he is not a big enough name to persuade Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres to stay, will try to find out this week if Villa manager Martin O'Neill is willing to let Young leave.

The winger, who celebrates his 25th birthday on Friday, made a big early impact at Villa following a £10million move from Watford in 2007.

But inconsistency last season meant he missed out on going to the World Cup with England.
Liverpool have sold Yossi Benayoun to Chelsea for £6.5m and replaced him with 29-year-old Serbia World Cup player Milan Jovanovic, a free agent. Hodgson could also sell Javier Mascherano to Barcelona for £25m and bring in Brazil's Gilberto Silva at a fraction of the price.

He said: 'We would be foolish not to be aware of the importance of homegrown players with the way UEFA and Premier League rules are going. Otherwise we're going to struggle to get our squad numbers together.

'I think the club have been trying to do that already with younger players like Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling but it takes time for them to come through so we might have to go into the transfer market.'

Hodgson is anxious to sort out the futures of Torres and Gerrard but if the Liverpool and England skipper decides to join Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid, Liverpool want Holland forward Rafael van der Vaart in part-exchange.

The manager turned down the chance to sign Jovanovic for a fee when he was at Fulham but sees him as a good capture on a free transfer.

He said: 'We have furnished the World Cup with more players than any other team but looking at the squad at Melwood, it did seem very small in terms of seniors.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1291775/Roy-Hodgson-wants-Ashley-Young-lead-Anfield-revival.html#ixzz0sevUQo2G

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/dont-go-changing/

Don't go changing

Filed under: General — weltmeisterclaude @ 8:20 pm

When you look here there's much to make you happy.

Will this change, I wonder?

Persistent rumours suggest that we're going to lose Mark Schwarzer next, but that either David James or Rob Green would join in his place.   I'd prefer Green, I think, as I like people who have a need for redemption.     (Did you watch Paraguay v Japan the other day?   Always sad when one person alone misses; you want at least two to fail as that way there's shared blame.   The poor lad who hit the bar... oh dear).  Green seems like a good egg and part of me wonders about getting a "Green #12″ England shirt just as some sort of gesture of solidarity.  (But that would be a waste of money so I won't).

Otherwise we don't know, do we?  The thing with new managers is that they all have their favourites, their own style.  We've got used to Roy's way of playing to the point where we know it inside-out; next year will be interesting for this very reason, looking out for changes in approach (particularly away from home), different ways of doing things.   How long will Roy's organisation last if a new manager does things differently?   If Roy said stand "there" and new man says stand "there", which of the two "theres" does the defender go to in the first few games?       Does Dickson Etuhu turn into a pumpkin?   Zoltan Gera a left-winger?  Chris Baird a Championship player?   Where do all the players play?   Why did the Fulham Chronicle say that Phillippe Senderos didn't come here for Roy, he came here to play football?   Instead of whom?

Roy's left a good machine, but one that perhaps only he knew how to operate.    Interesting times...

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/07/01/top-5-contenders-to-replace-roy/

Top 5 contenders to replace Roy

Filed under: Fulham — chopper68 @ 10:43 am

I no longer believe anything I read in the media. I think they are scavengers desperate for news to fill their ever expanding empires of greed. I'm also eternally optimistic and, despite the evidence to the contrary, have been hoping that Roy would eventually turn down Liverpool (and/or England) and commit himself to Fulham. It didn't happen. It's a sad day for the club.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. Hello, I'm Chopper (Dave to my friends, David to my Dad) and I used to write The Hammy End Chronicle. Richard has kindly offered me the chance to write occasionally (and sporadically) for CCN and I'm delighted to do so. It means I can finally lay HEC to rest but still have an outlet for my ramblings about Fulham. I'm also slightly obsessed with lists and Top Fives so for the time being that will be the route most of my posts will take.

Much like the old saying about death or taxes, it's inevitable that at some point a manager will either get the sack or move to a bigger/richer club. Picking a new manager is never easy. There is no magic formula for getting it right and even if you do there's always a period of transition when you don't quite know which way it's going to pan out. These are the current top five contenders with the bookies.

1. Alan Curbishley – Managed Charlton for 15 years, winning promotion to the Premier League twice. He built up a very good reputation and was touted (not least by himself) as a contender for the England job in 2006. In December 2006 he took over at West Ham who remained favourites for relegation until a run of seven wins in nine games saw them safe. In 2007/08 he led the Hammers to a 10th place finish but resigned within a month of the start of the following season citing board interference in team selection. I doubt anyone would be excited by his appointment. I went off him towards the end of his spell with Charlton as he seemed too often to look for excuses for bad results rather than take them on the chin.

2. Sven-Goran Eriksson – I suspect we've all got a view on Sven. In many ways he's quite similar to Roy. A cautious manager who doesn't like to take chances and possibly influenced by Hodgson's spell in Sweden around the time he began his own managerial career. He's had a lot of experience managing a who's who of European clubs including; IFK Gothenburg (League Champions, two Swedish cups and the 1982 UEFA cup), Benfica (two spells including three League championships, one domestic cup and runners-up in the 1983 UEFA cup and the 1990 European cup), Roma (a Coppa Italia) and Lazio (winning UEFA Cup Winners Cup in 1999 and Serie A in 2000 as well as a number of domestic Cups). Of course in England he'll be remembered for his spell with the national team and his inappropriate off-field activities. Based on cold facts he actually did pretty well with England reaching the quarter-finals at the 2002 and 2006 World Cup Finals and the 2004 European Championships. His year at Manchester City (2007-08) saw him achieve a (then) respectable finish of 9th in the league and his departure was a result of interference from owner Thaksin Shinawatra. City fans were unhappy at this and mounted a campaign in support of Eriksson. Subsequently he has followed an odd path from Mexico to Notts County to the Ivory Coast but has failed to find the success of his early career.

3. Mark Hughes – The people's choice? Mark Hughes is a young and ambitious manager with a respectable track record so far. Whilst still playing he became Welsh national manager in 1999. Wales were some way from qualifying for the 2002 World Cup finals but came very close to reaching the 2004 European Championships eventually losing out to Russia in the playoffs. In September 2004 he quit the Welsh job to take over at Blackburn Rovers. In his second season he led Blackburn to a top six finish and UEFA cup qualification. 2006-07 saw Rovers reach the last 32 of the UEFA cup and the Semi-Finals of the FA Cup. Hughes left Blackburn in June 2008 to take over from Sven at the newly flush Manchester City. His dismissal from City in December 2009 saw the club 4th in the Premier League, one of the dangers of managing a club with very rich owners.

4. Sean O'Driscoll – "Noisy" played almost 150 times for Fulham between 1979 and 1984. This coincided with my first visits to the cottage and what was a very exciting time under manager Malcolm MacDonald. O'Driscoll was one of those players you could rely on to put in a decent performance, never spectacular but always doing the job he was tasked with. He moved to Bournemouth in '84 and stayed there for the rest of his playing career making well over 400 appearances. In August 2000 (after 5 years on the coaching staff) he took over as Bournemouth manager. His record over six seasons saw the club finish 7th, 21st (and relegated to League 2), 4th (and promoted back to League 1), 9th 8th and 17th. The move to Doncaster suggested Sean was keen to have the financial backing to match his ability. In his first full season at the club Rovers finished 3rd and promotion to the Championship. Despite being favourites for relegation they have achieved two very respectable finishes of 14th and 12th in that league. Rovers also won the 2007 Football League Trophy. At both sides O'Driscoll has formed a reputation for playing neat passing football and remains the same quiet and level headed person he was as a player. He was approached to take over at Burnley last season but opted to stay with Doncaster.

5. Carlos Queiroz – Yes, I'm not really sure why Queiroz is so high in the odds either. Actually Ray Lew was slightly ahead of him when I checked but, much as I like Lew, we really don't want to go down that path do we? Obviously best known in this country for two spells as assistant to Sir Alex at Manchester United. In between those he had a season at Real Madrid but was sacked after only finishing 4th in the league and doing poorly in the cups. He has managed Portugal twice, his first spell from 1991 to 1993 followed a successful period as the under-20s coach. He is currently contracted to remain national coach until 2012, though has suffered a bit of criticism following Portugal's performance against Spain in the World Cup.

My preference is Mark Hughes. He would be a contrast in manner and style but I think he's a good manager who would be able to build on the foundations laid by Hodgson. A few days ago I would have been aghast at Eriksson getting the job but having written this his football qualities begin to sound more attractive. A couple of personnel favourites are ruled out due to their current roles. Martin Jol has a three year contract with Ajax and came very close to overtaking FC Twente last season. Steve Coppell has only just taken over at Bristol City. Slaven Billic has also been linked with Fulham in the past, he seems poised to move into club management but I worry about the "Sanchez factor" with him.

Whatever the outcome things are going to change and however you feel about Roy's departure it's going to be a fascinating few months.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6243556,00.html?

Pantsil - Gyan must forget

Fulham man urges Ghana striker to move on from penalty miss

Last updated: 3rd July 2010    

John Pantsil insists Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan must put his World Cup penalty anguish against Uruguay behind him.

Gyan hit the crossbar with a crucial spot-kick in the late stages of extra-time which would have booked Ghana a place in the semi-finals.

Uruguay went on to win 4-2 on penalties and will now face Holland in the final four, but Fulham defender Pantsil has urged Gyan to forget the incident or risk it having a long-term effect on his career.

Forget
"We said to Asamoah that anyone can miss a penalty and it is part of football and it was the only mistake he made," said Pantsil.

"In fact, it was not a mistake at all. It is part of football and he kicked it from his heart and we all wanted to win the game.

"We have been talking to him. He is feeling bad about that. It is not easy just to forget about something like that.

"He is a young lad and, if he continues to think about it, it is going to affect him."

Pantsil believes Gyan showed courage by stepping up to convert Ghana's first penalty in the shoot-out.

"It shows his character that he took our first penalty in the shoot-out," he added.

"He did well to come back and put another one away in the end. That shows he will very soon forget about it. He has to."

Ghana Football Association president Kwesi Nyantakyi said: "Asamoah was inconsolable afterwards. He was down.

"We tried to psych him up. It is not easy to live with something such as this but he just has to try and live with it."

Painful
Pantsil admits the whole squad were devastated after just missing out on becoming the first African side to reach the semi-finals.

"Everyone was sad and crying, the mood was down, no-one was happy about what happened," he said.

"We were so close to making it. We know we were doing it for all of Africa as well as Ghana.

"It is very sad for the country. It was very painful. This happens once in a lifetime but you have to let it go."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/865814/HODGSON-IN-LINE-FOR-40M-KITTY.html

HODGSON IN LINE FOR £40M KITTY

Reds boss has got cash to spend

Read By Chris Bascombe

ROY HODGSON can expect a minimum £40m kitty to rebuild the Liverpool squad.

The new Kop boss is already guaranteed £12m, and the coffers will be swelled when he sanctions the sales of Javier Mascherano and Albert Riera, which are expected to raise around £30m.

All proceeds from future player transfers will assist Hodgson, but he won't get any of the £5.5m received from Yossi Benayoun's switch to Chelsea.

That money has been put aside to help pay off ex-boss Rafa Benitez and meet the £2m compensation bill to Fulham to recruit Hodgson.

Hodgson will review his squad over the next month, but knows there is pressure to move quickly.

The quality of his first signings will determine whether skipper Steven Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres believe the club can compete for honours next season.

The duo won't return to pre-season training for another three weeks, by which time they'll hope serious plans are in place to ensure next season isn't merely transitional.

Although Hodgson is determined to keep Gerrard and Torres, he'll take a more relaxed view on Argentine skipper Mascherano, knowing the proceeds of his sale are crucial to any significant transfer activity.

Mascherano is increasingly likely to move to Barcelona rather than Inter Milan, having been earmarked as a replacement for Yaya Toure.

Riera, who didn't return to pre-season training in midweek as he tries to find a new club, is attracting attention from Juventus.

One man who will be handed a fresh chance at Anfield, however, is midfielder Alberto Aquilani.

Aquilani endured a miserable, injury hit debut season on Merseyside.

But Hodgson wants the £20m Italian to reap the rewards of a full pre-season and fulfil his potential under new management.

The transfer priorities for Liverpool this summer are a new left back, a wide man, a replacement for Mascherano and a supporting striker for Torres.

Hodgson is also expected to shuffle his backroom team.

Both Sammy Lee and Kenny Dalglish are deciding whether to accept roles at the club.

Liverpool are eager for Dalglish to stay after he publicly endorsed Hodgson's appointment.

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/865798/FERGIE-MAY-KOP-HUMP-OVER-ROY-MOVE.html

FERGIE MAY KOP HUMP OVER ROY MOVE

Hodgson fears for Sir Alex relationship

By Chris Bascombe

ROY HODGSON fears his pal Sir Alex Ferguson will consider his Kop appointment 'unforgivable'.

The new Liverpool boss says he is dreading his next phone call to Fergie as he suspects he'll disapprove of his desire to end Manchester United's supremacy over the Merseysiders.

The two have huge respect for each other. But such is the intensity between the opposing fans, Hodgson recognises the dynamics of their rivalry may change.

Hodgson, 62, said: "I know Sir Alex is not really a Liverpool man so I'm a bit concerned about my excellent relationship with him.

"I hope he forgives me for moving north and, hopefully, we can have a glass of wine together, maybe in secret.

"I hope that's how he is going to see it but he is one of the people I intend to ring to find out.

"When I rang the Fulham chairman to say I wished to move to Liverpool, that was one call I had to get out of the way and Alex might be the next one.

"I must say I've always believed you don't have battles with other managers.

Ridiculous
"Football teams have battles with other football teams, clubs have battles with other clubs and I've never subscribed to that theory that it's me and you.

"I used to find it quite ridiculous in Italy when they used to compare your record against another manager. It's a nonsense. If you happen to be manager of a club who is fighting for survival against a club which wins the title every year, the chances are that in the battles you've had he's won one and you've won five. That's the way it goes."

Hodgson intends to revive the passing game which is imbedded into the culture of the club, citing the great Kop sides of the 1970s as an inspiration on his coaching career.

And he's vowed to nurture more English talent through the Anfield ranks.

He said: "I do have ideals and principles we'll follow. I like a high-tempo passing game, I like players to work hard, I like players to get back in position.

"All the things I've always liked are the things Liverpool were famous for in their heyday. Pass and move, always move it quickly and once you lose get back in to position was the mantra that took Liverpool through their great years.

"We have to find a basis of English players because of the way UEFA and Premier League rules are going. We've got to get more homegrown players otherwise we're going to struggle to get our squad numbers together.

"Kenny Dalglish can play a very, very important role in this.

"The club has already brought in a couple of players like Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling. Top English talent."

Hodgson is also promising a clean slate for those who felt sidelined under the previous regime.

He said: "Whenever a new manager comes in, players who have been on the periphery start to see it and maybe think, 'this could be my chance, I'll have a go'.

"You'd be foolish as a manager not to give them that chance."

Demise
Hodgson knows it was Fulham's eye-catching season, allied to Liverpool's demise, which earned him the Kop job.

But he's only been dismissed once from his last 15 jobs and his mid-90s departure from Blackburn swiftly followed the loss of the spine of his side in Stephane Henchoz, Tim Sherwood and Chris Sutton.

He'll be praying history doesn't repeat itself and he can keep Liverpool's big names together this summer.

Hodgson added: "I suppose that might be a sad indictment on the way coaches are selected.

"Win three matches and you're in line for top job. Lose three and you can forget all about it.

"I'd like to think people here would have been good enough to recognise my qualities without last season. But, of course, it plays a part.

"Mind you, I've had 35 years and never been out of work."

White Noise

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/football/865320/SIDWELL-PONDERS-MOVE-U-TURN.html

SIDWELL PONDERS MOVE U-TURN

Hodgson exit puts deal in doubt

03/07/2010

STEVE SIDWELL could be set to make a £3million U-turn on his Fulham move by joining rivals West Ham.

The Cottagers had a bid accepted by Aston Villa this month, but the midfielder, 27, now wants to keep his options open following Roy Hodgson's departure to Liverpool.

That has alerted Hammers boss Avram Grant, who was Sidwell's manager at Chelsea.

The midfielder is also wanted by Bolton and Blackpool but is believed to fancy a move back to London - putting West Ham in the box seat.

mike_f

Transfer news: Roy Hodgson wants Newcastle's Steven Taylor at Liverpool - Premier League - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Roy Hodgson has earmarked Newcastle United's Steve Taylor as one of the players around whom he wants to rebuild Liverpool's defence.

The new Anfield boss will also go back to Craven Cottage with a £7million bid land his impressive former central defender Hangeland, who has been regularly linked with Arsenal.

Hodgson believes his close relationship with the 29-year-old Norwegian could help lure him to Liverpool – and the fact that he brought Swiss international centre-back Philippe Senderos to Craven Cottage in one of his last acts as Fulham boss will also strengthen his hand. Hodgson is lining up a £5m bid for former England Under-21 skipper Taylor, who has just entered the final year of his contract at St James' Park.

Lighthouse

I Love Fulham Stuff and think you all do a great job with it. Could we have less Liverpool news and Roy Hodgson news please as it he is not our manager and Liverpool are not my club.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 04, 2010, 12:22:36 AM
I Love Fulham Stuff and think you all do a great job with it. Could we have less Liverpool news and Roy Hodgson news please as it he is not our manager and Liverpool are not my club.

+1

The Hodgson era is over.

clintclintdeuce

I second that.
The Dude abides.

White Noise

Fair point. Its Bullard all over again!  :dft004:

Tom

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on July 04, 2010, 12:41:26 AM

I second that.
+3
Fulham for life!

WHITEwitch

Good point but of course the Hangeland stuff is relevant and I would kind of like to see Liverpool end the Manure/Scum monopoly at the top. 

Lighthouse

FootyMAD > FulhamMAD > Latest > News 

Fulham Players Fear For Roy

By Kevin Markey Sunday, 4th July 2010

Some Fulham players think Roy Hodgson's move to Liverpool could all end in tears.

The 62-year-old, who joined Fulham in 2007 and guided them to the Europa League final last season, is even being tipped to fail at Anfield by some players at Craven Cottage.

Others claim that, although Hodgson is widely respected in the game, his brand of management and style of football will have to change radically if he is going to succeed at Liverpool.

"I'm not entirely sure this is the right move for Roy," one senior player at Fulham told the Sunday Mirror. "He's a lovely bloke and I wish him all the success in the world but I suspect he might have taken on more than he can handle going to Liverpool.

"He loathes confrontation and can't handle egos and troublesome personalities. He bit off more than he could chew with Jimmy Bullard at Fulham, so can you imagine him dealing with players at Liverpool like Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Fernando Torres who have enormous power in and out the dressing room?

"He can also be rigid and inflexible as well. Certain players hit a bad run of form at Fulham but Roy refused to make changes even though their performances on the field were deteriorating."

Another player said: "Roy likes to surround himself with a certain type of player. Foreign players are less likely to come and smash down the manager's door complaining about not playing.

"He doesn't want troublemakers at the club, he wants players who are happy to sit patiently biding their time waiting to play. If there are problems he will promise you the world, fail to deliver but leave his coaching staff to deal with the fall-out.

"Personally, I think he has made a big mistake going to Liverpool. Steve McClaren is a good example of what can happen when you step out of your comfort zone. Didn't he lead Middlesbrough to a major European final? Look what happened to him when he left and took over England. It's a big gamble

Lighthouse

Former Charlton and West Ham boss Alan Curbishley is expected to hold talks with Fulham with a view to filling the club's vacant managerial position.
Full story: Sunday Mirror

But the players' favourite for the job is former Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola.
Full story: Sunday Express

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/07/04/hodgson-wants-hyypia-to-return-as-coach-102039-22380033/

Hodgson wants Hyypia to return as coach

Jul 4 2010 by CRouter CRouter, The People

ROY HODGSON wants to bring Sami Hyypia back to Liverpool as a player-coach – with doubts over whether his trusted No 2 Mike Kelly will follow him to Anfield.

Kop legend Hyypia, 36, was controversially allowed to leave for Bayer Leverkusen last year but Hodgson, who managed him during his time as Finland boss, sees him as a potential ally on the coaching staff.

Hodgson is desperate for ­veteran Kelly, who is Fulham's assistant manager and ­goalkeeping coach, to join him on Merseyside.

But Kelly, 67, has expressed doubts about joining his friend, especially as he was married only last year and is settled in the south.

While it has been widely reported ­Kelly will be Hodgson's ­Anfield No.2, there has been no official ­approach to ­Fulham about his ­services and no deal has been put in place.

Facing a daunting task to revive Liverpool's fortunes, Hodgson needs his long-time lieutenant by his side.

Hodgson is expected to retain Liverpool first-team coach Sammy Lee but would love to bring back Hyypia, who was his Finland captain, and the pair have a great mutual respect.

Hyypia was a hugely popular figure during a decade at Anfield but was given the cold shoulder by former boss Rafa Benitez and moved to Germany last ­summer.

He continued to be a star ­performer in the Bundesliga, despite his ­advancing years, and could be a useful ­addition to Liverpool's playing squad as well as joining the coaching set-up.

Pepe Reina has begged ­Liverpool's star trio Steven ­Gerrard, Javier Mascherano and Fernando Torres not to quit ­Anfield this summer after all three players have been linked with moves away.

But keeper Reina said: "Men like Fernando, Javier and ­Gerrard are vital in this new project and not only on the pitch – but also because they are ­footballers who are now very much a part of Liverpool's history.

"Without the three of them our situation will be very ­different.

"And with the ­international money crisis, it would be very complicated to find perfect replacements.''