Main Menu

Old Sod's Army with the right 'ump!

Started by bog, December 18, 2014, 01:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Just got a speeding ticket from Bradford last weekend!!!! 48 in a 40!  :doh:

092.gif

Lighthouse

I sympathise. Five years ago I was done for speeding over a length of 50 yards so as to avoid an accident with a car swerving into me. These speeding fines are more to generate funds than avoid accidents.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

If you can't do the time....!   :wine:

Actually, if you were proceeding OUT of Bradford you have a legally watertight excuse...no speed is too high for that manoeuvre.

absent cottager

Be grateful your not in Australia, where the average ticket Is around $200 and you get that for being just 3km over the limit....

bog

I was on the way to the game. Always vulnerable when you don't know the area. 3 points for the whites and likewise for me....as said these are money making measures. First one for 45 years... :doh:

092.gif 

f321ffc

I have a really annoying  device in  my car that tells me to slow down whenever i start to go too fast, its called THE WIFE.  092.gif
                                                             :merry christmas:
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Jimpav

I got busted for speeding whilst in New Zealand. The worst bit was that I didn't get notified until about 2 months after our holiday when the letter landed on the mat.

Oh well, at least I avoided points on my licence.

epsomraver

Quote from: bog on December 18, 2014, 04:17:41 PM
I was on the way to the game. Always vulnerable when you don't know the area. 3 points for the whites and likewise for me....as said these are money making measures. First one for 45 years... :doh:

092.gif 

really annoying, I didn't realise that is now  £100 for that and 3 points and some yob gets a£60 public order offence for fighting and causing trouble in the high street ,
Near to here on the Reigate Road Nork there is a section of duel carriageway on a hill and for some obscure reason it is 30 mph, never been a serious accident, they removed a fixed camera from half way down, guess where the camera van sits regularly every sunny day!  the world has gone mad

bog

Epsomraver, we have a similar one near Margate. And they top it up sometimes with a one in a mobile van!  :dft007:

092.gif

TonyGilroy

Years ago I got done twice in 20 minutes by a mobile speed check. To and from the supermarket. 35 mph in a 30 zone both times.

epsomraver

To my annoyance i was done twice in Reigate road,by the mobile van  the second on my way to Redhill court to be a witness for Surrey Police in a serious road rage case and was running a bit late, 38 mph uphill on a duel carriageway! , it is not only the points and the fine, then the insurance companies start!

bog

What a nightmare they are. Twice as close as that would finish me off I think. When we hear of so many nasty feral yobs getting away with real crimes I find it really annoying. That term could be a lot stronger and laced with profanity....

092.gif

nose

Quote from: epsomraver on December 19, 2014, 11:06:06 AM
To my annoyance i was done twice in Reigate road,by the mobile van  the second on my way to Redhill court to be a witness for Surrey Police in a serious road rage case and was running a bit late, 38 mph uphill on a duel carriageway! , it is not only the points and the fine, then the insurance companies start!

and as I learned to my distress, the uinsurance company keep the premium higher after the points are wipped from your licence. I went through a period of getting caught regularly doing 34 in 30mph limits. The same as if i was driving much faster and dangerously..... they really need to make the punishment fit the crime.
I have taken the driving awareness course twice and learned quite a lot, but we are all human and sometimes transgress. I do try to stick to the limit and in the villages of surrey often have tailbacks of iritated Audi and BMW drivers hating that i am at the limit.

filham

I got caught by a speed camera doing about 36mph in a 30mph zone by a camera on a duel carriageway with no other traffic on the road and was fined 80 quid and 3 points recorded on my licence. The real rub is the effect on the insurance.

Because of the three points my insurance premium has increased by about £100 per year for 5 years.

There are a lot of people carrying 3 points, the insurance companies must be doing well out of the speed cameras which the taxpayer is financing.

bog

I may be able to go on one of these speed awareness courses where you pay £80 but do not have any points stuck on your licence.
Hmm.

092.gif 

TonyGilroy

Quote from: bog on December 19, 2014, 03:58:18 PM
I may be able to go on one of these speed awareness courses where you pay £80 but do not have any points stuck on your licence.
Hmm.

092.gif 

If they offer it it's a no brainer.

They're actually quite interesting - they don't lecture you. I've been on two though so presumably the first one didn't quite do the trick.

Lighthouse

I was never given the option to go on one. Despite my first ever infringement and one that was over such a short distance and one that was clearly to avoid an accident happening and despite the mobile operator seeing it.

No I am over it now. Blimmin catch penny.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fernhurst

I'm always getting em...

It appears as soon as one disappears off my licence another appears.
Never been offered a course, possibly because my licence hasn't been clear since the mid 80's!!
Bloody boy racer in his mid 60's
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

epsomraver

Quote from: TonyGilroy on December 19, 2014, 07:27:08 PM
Quote from: bog on December 19, 2014, 03:58:18 PM
Hmm.

092.gif 

If they offer it it's a no brainer.

They're actually quite interesting - they don't lecture you. I've been on two though so presumably the first one didn't quite do the trick.

Notice some insurance companies who not only ask for 5 years points history although you can have them removed after three, are now asking as well, " have you been on a speed awareness course? " they don't miss a trick!

Supermitch

I got done by a camera for doing 58 in 50 limit on the Bournemouth ring road back in 2005.  £60 then plus 3 points but luckily my insurance company didn't hike my premium.  I told them but their then policy was 3 points is ok but any more and you'll be hammered.  No doubt that has changed now.