watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Wimbledon

Started by Peabody, July 04, 2010, 06:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Firstly well done to Rafa Nadal, great player. Now, is it any wonder that British tennis is so poor. When I was young, living on the Fulham Palace Road, you could go to any number of parks and get onto a court, including those in Bishops Park which were public courst and for 2 bob you could get a few hours on a court. OK, the sport was elitist and we never produced any Wimbledon winners but now, either the public courts are in a very bad state or those like Bishops Park are now private clubs and are very choosey as to they have as members. Until we change our attitudes, Britain will remain as a tennis backwater in another sport that we gave to the world.

finnster01

You mean just like English football, Mr Peabody?  :dft006:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Peabody

Quote from: finnster01 on July 04, 2010, 06:42:21 PM

You just wait until Bobby Z starts banging them in.

Dugliss

But at least football`s not snobby and elitist

WhiteJC

Quote from: Dugliss on July 05, 2010, 10:23:53 AM

But at least football`s not snobby and elitist

just too expensive

The Equalizer

I completely agree Peabody. I used to go and play in Normand Park and Hurlingham Park, but even then it was too expensive for a kid to be able to afford. And the courts were in a horrific state.

But it's not all doom and gloom for British tennis. Emile Heskey did a great job winning the ladies title on Saturday...  :dft012:

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc