News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our young players …how many are going to make the grade ?

Started by colinwhite, December 31, 2014, 03:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

The jury seems to be very much still out on a number of our talented youngsters who have had to take  over the batten at least in part from our premiership squad of nomads and has-beens .
Its early days and if there is one things young players need to develop it is time , so its too early judge anyone but I thought we could  see where we stand in a sort of progress report . In general terms I think we have some decent prospects but few have set the division alight .
Hits have already made the grade . Misses are still promising , but have to prove that they can perform at this level .Cynical it may be but it must be how the club is viewing these players .

We can't expect any more from the group than they have delivered and i know I have missed out a few but have concentrated on the ones that have regularly been in the match day squad . Haven't include Burn or Stafalydis although  they could also be regarded as prospects .
Heres my summary :
LVC  . Has taken the step up really shown that he has what it takes . Mobile ,strong ,great fighter ,good feet , scores goals . The type of player we have been crying out for for years , please god we can hold on to him .  Hit

Cauley Woodrow. I think he has what it takes and needs a good run in the team . Is the only hold up forward we have and if  he can start scoring more goals , will surely be a regular in the  side. Saw him make his debut last season and I was really impressed with his composure ,decision making . not lightning fast, but quick ,shoots with  both  feet , strong and works hard .  HIT

Mousa Dembele. Has the potential but very inconsistent and a bit lazy . Scores goals but doesn't contribute in link up play. Has been given chances to play but hasn't delivered yet . Bit clumsy ,but strong (although he has been pushed all over the place in games ) and will get stronger ,poor first touch and doesn't shield the ball well enough. good anticipation in the box . so far Miss

Emmerson hyndman . Its difficult for a player of his age to play in such an important position . He will make the grade I believe but isn't there yet .Great feet , first touch and fast short passing . Unbelievable decision making for his age . Poor forward passing and needs to bulk up 5 kilos in muscle .Has  shown no quality in offensive play in terms of assists , shots or goals . so far miss

Marcus Bettinelli . Done very well for us .Good shot stopper and excellent for the most part . Ok at dealing with crosses , distribution could be better . Not easily flustered and has shown a lot of bottle . Can see him being our number 1for many years to come . Hit

George Williams . has potential and lots of good qualities . Pace,  good one on one , and works hard , good physique . Poor final outcome to his play . Delivery of crosses and shots on goal not good enough as yet . Miss

Patrik Roberts  . We can all see the potential of this kid , but as yet thats all it is . Okay he has  not played a lot  but he looks nowhere near ready, physically and we don't know how much stronger he can get . Amazing feet and has lots of eye-catching tricks , but as yet has no goals or assists (apart from pen against SW).Has no idea about shape or defensive duties and wants to run with the ball and take people on which means he is probably going to  play in a wide position ,but like Williams is poor defensively .  so far Miss

Kavanagh . Has been torn apart when played at full back  , and done a lot better as a left sided midfielder . Good feet ,great left foot
and strikes the ball really well . good positional sense and decision making .Left back Miss  .left midfield Hit  The jury is split on him

Of course all these players have potential but the clubs expectations of them has been unrealistic . I have tried to judge them on what they have delivered so far and on not on the potential they undoubtedly have .

colinwhite

sorry forgot :
Jack Grimmer . Big strong boy , but looks uncomfortable at full back . has looked slow on the turn and not stopped enough crosse coming into our box . Nieve defending at times although he has had his good moments too . Mobile .hard working and strong . Has played due to lack of back up in this position . Need s to go back out on loan . so far miss

ToodlesMcToot

I believe that all you've listed can make the grade in the Championship to some degree or another. If you're talking PL level success, the jury isn't even in the courtroom to make that judgement. They are way too young and inexperienced to do more than just guess.

Heck, Fofana likely has the biggest name within the group of youngsters and the biggest shot at PL success but, he's really nowhere near ready for it IMO.

All are getting a great jumpstart by virtue of Magath's inability to build a squad however.

Based upon what I've seen, for the PL, I'd say only LVC and Betts have shown enough to say they've a legit shot at playing roles in the PL. The rest, to me, haven't shown enough yet to demonstrate that they'd rise above youth team fodder for PL squads.

I'm not saying that I judge them to be incapable of success at that level.....only that they've not shown enough to me to be able to say that they will. But, what do I know?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

filham

Agree with all of the above, no mention of David though who at the end of last season looked so good and ready made for the Championship.

Of course us old guys have a yardstick in the form of Johnny Haynes a home grown youngster who came into the team at a very young age, took control of matters and never looked back, He was of slight build and in those days defenders were no slouches and referees were more lenient.

So by our Haynes benchmark I really expected the likes of Roberts to have established a place in the team by now.

colinwhite

Good point toddles . No I am talking championship  ,because that is where we are just now .Even Ross Macormack hasn't  made the grade at that level yet .(The Premier League )

David and Kavangh, haven't been involved with kit so thats why I left them out .