watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Schwarzer joins Leciester

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, January 03, 2015, 12:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snibbo

I think a lot depends on the manner of a player's departure.

Schwarzer said he wanted first team football. "Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer believes he still has plenty to offer in Europe's top-flight, but is demanding regular first-team football from any suitors for his signature."
Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/210151.html#Xhdx3wsthrgvaoSs.99

and yet he then signed to sit on the bench down the road. Understandably, it left a few of us mystified.

Mokes

Quote from: Snibbo on January 04, 2015, 11:31:55 AM

Schwarzer said he wanted first team football. "Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer believes he still has plenty to offer in Europe's top-flight, but is demanding regular first-team football from any suitors for his signature."
Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/210151.html#Xhdx3wsthrgvaoSs.99

and yet he then signed to sit on the bench down the road. Understandably, it left a few of us mystified.

Just because a news source says something does not make it so. The only quote they have from Mark in that article is "Something will be sorted out - I've got no worries about that. I've got no idea at this stage where I'm going to be. I'm open to anything."

So much of what is written is total BS. It says he is focused on the world cup, yet he had retired from international football.

Maybe he did not want to sit on the bench at Fulham, but he is not an idiot and knew that at 40 he wasn't going to get guaranteed football without taking a pay cut and dropping a divison. Not exactly the wisest move for someone already on the wrong side of the average retirement age of a footballer.

Jims Dentist

In 48 years of supporting our club, I would rate him as the best,  which includes consistency, keeper I have seen play for us.
Mentions must also go to LVS, although when he was first here made a few errors, also Gerry Payton, pity about his ball kicking skills,  and Maik Taylor who was superb and only got replaced br LVS because the club having been promoted to the Prem needed a high profile signing, a 7m keeper, to encourage other higher profile signings.

Travers Barney

Quote from: Jims Dentist on January 04, 2015, 07:35:38 PM
In 48 years of supporting our club, I would rate him as the best,  which includes consistency, keeper I have seen play for us.
Mentions must also go to LVS, although when he was first here made a few errors, also Gerry Payton, pity about his ball kicking skills,  and Maik Taylor who was superb and only got replaced br LVS because the club having been promoted to the Prem needed a high profile signing, a 7m keeper, to encourage other higher profile signings.

40 years so less than you Jim but far and away best I have seen in a Fulham keepers vest...lost count of how many times he would calm the nerves when the opposition  were throwing the kitchen sink at us when we were trying to cling on to something....saved a few penalties in that last season he played for us from memory...proper bloke too...coyw
We are the whites

Harold Shand

I kinda agree that he wasn't the keeper he was in his last season.....but then he ended up saving more penalty's than any other keeper in the Premier league (that season).

So that more than made up for it.

Snibbo

Quote from: Mokes on January 04, 2015, 03:25:25 PM
Quote from: Snibbo on January 04, 2015, 11:31:55 AM

Just because a news source says something does not make it so. The only quote they have from Mark in that article is "Something will be sorted out - I've got no worries about that. I've got no idea at this stage where I'm going to be. I'm open to anything."

So much of what is written is total BS. It says he is focused on the world cup, yet he had retired from international football.

Maybe he did not want to sit on the bench at Fulham, but he is not an idiot and knew that at 40 he wasn't going to get guaranteed football without taking a pay cut and dropping a divison. Not exactly the wisest move for someone already on the wrong side of the average retirement age of a footballer.

You could be right but seems strange that his desire for first team football was reported in numerous papers in uk and Australia and on bbc and abc. His retirement from international football came later after he moved to Ch**ki. In fact he was dropped from the Australia team before he  retired - ironically because he was not getting first team football. So he sacrificed a lot for that CH**ki deal, including a possible world cup tournament.