watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Schwarzer joins Leciester

Started by Toby Ward-Smith, January 03, 2015, 12:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Ward-Smith

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2894835/Mark-Schwarzer-joins-Leicester-City-free-transfer-Chelsea.html

Why didn't we go in for him as number 2 to Bettinelli. I no we tried but got rejected, so why has Jose changed his mind and sent him to Leciester. Great signing for them.

Snibbo

Good signing, assuming he's as good as he was 3 seasons ago, which he won't be.

But yes, he'd make a good number 2. Happy with Betts as number 1 though.

HatterDon

He was once very good, but was washed up two seasons ago. We didn't miss a thing.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

dannyboi-ffc

Good luck to him, up there with our greats. But I agree with HD, we're not missing much. In his 40's now with very little game time in the past couple of years.

We need a reliable number two but it's not Mark.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on January 03, 2015, 03:33:57 AM
He was once very good, but was washed up two seasons ago. We didn't miss a thing.

Washed up and in his 40s. Still better than Kiraly.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Berserker

Quote from: The Equalizer on January 03, 2015, 12:01:51 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on January 03, 2015, 03:33:57 AM

Washed up and in his 40s. Still better than Kiraly.
Do we know how good Mark is now?
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

gang

I could never understand why he wanted to be guaranteed to be 1st choice here but then signed for Chelski. to be the understudy.
Oh unless it was for money and that outweighed his hope of playing for Australia in the world cup.
Lost a lot of respect for him then.

rusty shackleford

I havent lost any respect for him. He was playing under a clown on a clear sinking ship. Id take him back in a heartbeat.

Mokes

Quote from: gang on January 03, 2015, 12:32:35 PM
I could never understand why he wanted to be guaranteed to be 1st choice here but then signed for Chelski. to be the understudy.
Oh unless it was for money and that outweighed his hope of playing for Australia in the world cup.

Schwarzer retired from international football before the world cup anyway and was left with a few choices. Stay with fulham and end up on the bench, go to another club or league on what would only be a 1 year contract (as a 40 year old) and compete again for a place between the sticks, or, stay in the same house, get a pay rise and possibly finish his career with a trophy and get to have a crack in the champions league.

Loyalty only goes so far and once he was told he is no longer going to be guaranteed to start he made the best decision for himself. After a career as long as his he has earned that.

K33NY

Quote from: gang on January 03, 2015, 12:32:35 PM

3 things made him go to them:

1: Money
2: Titles
3: Hope on WC play

Irelands_number1

Very unfair to Mark... went to Chelsea for money? That's a very petty assessment, and he deserves the fullest respect.

He played 3 champions league games - including a semi final (and never conceded a goal if I'm correct - don't hold me too it). Would you turn down the chance to experience some of those games as a player in your last years? I don't think money had anything to do with it.

gang

If you don't think money had anything to do with his decision you are dreaming.

K33NY

Quote from: Irelands_number1 on January 03, 2015, 04:03:23 PM
Very unfair to Mark... went to Chelsea for money? That's a very petty assessment, and he deserves the fullest respect.

He played 3 champions league games - including a semi final (and never conceded a goal if I'm correct - don't hold me too it). Would you turn down the chance to experience some of those games as a player in your last years? I don't think money had anything to do with it.

are you serious? You dont think our first team keeper went to a big team to be a benchwarmer for money and titles? Dream on

Northern Cottager

Quote from: K33NY on January 03, 2015, 04:44:36 PM
Quote from: Irelands_number1 on January 03, 2015, 04:03:23 PM

are you serious? You dont think our first team keeper went to a big team to be a benchwarmer for money and titles? Dream on

Got to agree with Keeny , fairly sure he said he would t sign for us as he wanted to be guaranteed first choice 'keeper title.

The King

Quote from: K33NY on January 03, 2015, 03:43:11 PM
3 things made him go to them:

1: Money
2: Titles
3: Hope on WC play

No, he did not go to Chelsea hoping to play in the World Cup. He knew he was giving up the World Cup to get the money and the titles. Had he stayed at Fulham, he might have had a shot at being number 1 in the World Cup, but maybe not even then.

Mokes

Fairly sure he took the best all around option for himself and his family. I'm sure the opinions of a bunch of keyboard warriors who instantly forget 5 fantastic years of service and turn on him because they don't like the other team, don't concern him all that much.

Any true Fulham fan would wish Schwarzer nothing but the best as he was immense for us.

Logicalman

Quote from: Mokes on January 03, 2015, 05:23:34 PM
Fairly sure he took the best all around option for himself and his family. I'm sure the opinions of a bunch of keyboard warriors who instantly forget 5 fantastic years of service and turn on him because they don't like the other team, don't concern him all that much.

Any true Fulham fan would wish Schwarzer nothing but the best as he was immense for us.

:Haynes The Maestro:   :plus one:

Perfectly put.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

HatterDon

Quote from: Logicalman on January 03, 2015, 05:28:45 PM

Perfectly put.

I'm obviously not one of those keyboard warriors, since I thought he was losing it a good 18 months before he left us. Timid, indecisive, and the worst distributer of a ball in the Premier League. And it was a shame, really, because the first two or three seasons he was with us, he was brilliant.

I didn't care who he went to, I just wanted him to go while I still had more good memories of him than bad. On that account, he didn't go quite early enough.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: HatterDon on January 03, 2015, 07:14:16 PM

Perfectly put.

I'm obviously not one of those keyboard warriors, since I thought he was losing it a good 18 months before he left us. Timid, indecisive, and the worst distributer of a ball in the Premier League. And it was a shame, really, because the first two or three seasons he was with us, he was brilliant.

I didn't care who he went to, I just wanted him to go while I still had more good memories of him than bad. On that account, he didn't go quite early enough.

I agree again, I loved mark but I certainly wasn't sad to see him leave. It's nice we can still remember the good times and not concentrate on his decline like some do with Brede.  

Although I really liked mark it has always baffled me how he makes quite a lot of people's greatest teams for Fulham.  He was a good pro and a very good reliable keeper but in the league of van der sar? No chance.  I think fulham/middlesbrough was the right level for him. And I'm sure the oldies will put Macedo ahead of him too.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

callumc513

Quote from: HatterDon on January 03, 2015, 07:14:16 PM

:Haynes The Maestro:   :plus one:

Perfectly put.

Spot on, actually.