watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: I-pad use

Started by Berserker, January 03, 2015, 12:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berserker

I had a I-pad given to me for Christmas. Not sure what to use it for as not use to Apple. I use a Smart phone and Laptop at the moment.
Can anybody give me advice what they are good for and how to to it. I don't want the world to see all my stuff on the Cloud either. I've never used Apple anything so it's all new to me.

Oh one thing that is good is that I'm using Duolingo daily on it to learn French
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

gang

Its about the same as using a laptop but more convenient.

grandad

Prefer Android stuff myself as you are not tied to Apple products.With an i-Pad you have no SD capability but with Samsung Tabs you can add up to 64 GB.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Jem

It's great for surfing the net whilst watching TV. No waiting for it to boot up if used with standby. Long battery life, days rather than hours. Doesn't burn your legs like some laptops that tend to overheat. Use it in addition to the laptop not to replace it. Have fun!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Bedford White

As Jem says they're really good for instant web surfing, there are some really entertaining games too, I'd recommend Forge of Empires, it's like a medieval sim city.  

Really good for FOFing too 049:gif

fulhamben

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bucksfulham

Don't worry about the Cloud. It's secure and not visible to others.

Flash player is not supported by IOS ( so most "dodgy" streams won't work) but you can get apps to watch Flash player if you want.

If you're stuck on how to use it, Google what you want help and most things are covered in variuos Apple forums. Otherwise, Apple stores are always helpful.

Berserker

Quote from: Bedford White on January 03, 2015, 01:18:10 PM
As Jem says they're really good for instant web surfing, there are some really entertaining games too, I'd recommend Forge of Empires, it's like a medieval sim city.  

Haven't worked out to get FOF as a icon yet : (
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

bucksfulham

Quote from: Berserker on January 03, 2015, 01:37:40 PM
Quote from: Bedford White on January 03, 2015, 01:18:10 PM

Haven't worked out to get FOF as a icon yet : (
Open it in Safari. On the right of the address bar there's a rectangle with an arrow pointing up. Click on this and select "add to home screen". Job done.

Buffalo76

Jonaldiniho 88

Use mine for everything. Never been a fan of Apple but it was a gift and now I'm used to it I love it. If you have a sky or sky sports package you can get skygo which means if you have wifi you can watch what you would at home anywhere in the uk. Bbc iplayer and 4od allow you to do the same with those channels for free. Most radio stations have similar apps. I pretty much use mine to browse the web and as a tv radio. Great as the mrs family have sky but not me so I'm freeloading off their sky sports and movies.

Logicalman

Mrs B, I've had both iPad and Android tablets, I have to say I am biased towards the latter as I like the opportunity to get the apps I want and not be so restricted. As you know, I wasn't a fan of the iPhone when I had the 5 either (much happier with my S5)

That said, the iPad has a lot going for it and you should look to the Apple Store for different apps that would be useful to you. One of my sons swear by them (though he did have issues over the holiday period that took him some time to sort through).

Concerning the cloud, this, and the iPad itself, is no less secure than any of the others (Google, Microsoft, etc) and the golden rule is don't put anything personal on there that would devastate you to be seen by anyone else.

Good uses for tablets would be forums (such as these), web surfing, books, music and videos (notwithstanding the relatively small screen). As mentioned above, the iPad provides less opportunity to expand but the whole idea is to use the cloud storage and therefore share with other apple products you have.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.