watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gillingham 2 Matt Smith 4 on youtube

Started by f321ffc, January 07, 2015, 01:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PokerMatt

I've said in other posts that maybe he's found his level if he's scoring in League One. I've questioned his scoring record (is 12 in the Championship as your best season all that good?). I've certainly said I don't think he's the sort of player who would get us up and then be able to do a job in the Premier League too - as I think that's what's needed for us to go up.

However... he's showed a lot of ability and I'm certainly now not against giving him a go.

I'm cooking my words, but won't eat them until he shows he can do it for us in this league.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

kdjr100

I never really understood why he was sent on loan and Dembele was kept. Surely some game time at that level would be more beneficial to some of our talented young strikers than to a guy who has already been there and proved he can play higher?
"and there's a tidal wave on the Thames!"

Craven Mad

Quote from: PokerMatt on January 08, 2015, 03:00:24 PM
I've said in other posts that maybe he's found his level if he's scoring in League One. I've questioned his scoring record (is 12 in the Championship as your best season all that good?). I've certainly said I don't think he's the sort of player who would get us up and then be able to do a job in the Premier League too - as I think that's what's needed for us to go up.

However... he's showed a lot of ability and I'm certainly now not against giving him a go.

I'm cooking my words, but won't eat them until he shows he can do it for us in this league.

Really good post - I've a lot of respect for someone who can change their mind (even just partially) in light of events - but I just wanted to focus on one point you made - Smith's goal tally.

I think you've got to remember that the 12 league goals in the 13/14 season were a) scored whilst playing for a terrible Leeds side, and b) he wasn't always a starter/getting 90 minutes; looking at the minutes-per-goal in that season, Smith scored a goal every 176 minutes [by way of comparison, our starting striker, Hugo, has managed a goal (so far) every 177 minutes, this year].

I'm not saying Matt Smith is better or worse than anyone, I'm simply trying to point out that his 12 league goals - whilst not completely outstanding - are more impressive than you might first think...

Unfortunately for Smith, I think his biggest mistake was getting a red card in his first game for us; it limited his game-time and allowed other players to find form in his absence.

I hope he gets another chance for us soon.

PokerMatt

I agree minutes to goals is a better indicator. Similar to Hugo, but then I don't think Hugo is good enough either. It's tough, but if it's a similar record to Hugo and he's a different option it would certainly make more sense to have him available for us rather than Bristol.
Follow me: @mattdjourno