watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (23/01/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 22, 2015, 05:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham boss hails 'excellent' McCormack after former Leeds man sinks Nottingham Forest

Fulham's Ross McCormack in action against Nottingham Forest (Photo by Ian Walton/Getty Images)

Fulham boss Kit Symons was delighted to see Ross McCormack hit the goal trail in style after his first-half hat-trick sank Nottingham Forest 3-2.

McCormack has this season rarely looked like the prolific hitman Fulham paid Leeds £11million for in the summer.

But he blew Forest away with a 28-minute treble to take his tally for the season to 10 and Symons said: "Ross was excellent. He took his goals really well.

"It's nice to see him scoring, although his overall contribution has never been in question. I don't care who scores the goals but I'm pleased for him."

McCormack struck his first goal in the seventh minute from the edge of the box, rifled in number two off the inside of the post and deserved the slice of luck he received when the third took a wicked deflection off Todd Kane.

The visitors threatened a comeback when Henri Lansbury scored either side of half-time, and would have dragged themselves level but for a glaring miss by top scorer Britt Assombalonga.

However, Fulham held out for a victory which was a far cry from when the teams met at the City Ground in mid-September, with Forest top of the table and Fulham rock bottom.

A 5-3 defeat that day signalled the end of Felix Magath's ill-fated spell in charge and such has been Fulham's revival under Symons - and Forest's decline from those heady days - that the sides are now level on points in mid-table.

Symons added: "In the second half Forest had a right go but we were resolute, we stood up and were counted.

"They were putting a lot of balls into our box, there was always that danger that something would fall for them but I was pleased with the way we defended overall."

Both sides are now 10 points adrift of the play-offs and Symons said: "If we can win a couple more on the spin we'll be looking up the table, but lose a couple and we'll be worrying about relegation again. It's that tight, you can't look too far ahead."

Stuart Pearce hoped Forest had turned a corner after a dramatic 2-1 win at fierce rivals Derby on Saturday, their first win in nine attempts.

But it is back to the drawing board for the Reds boss after another defeat and first-team coach Brian Eastick said: "Frustration is the word, having played so well at Derby we came here pretty confident.

"But we shot ourselves in the foot big time. We lost the game in the first 20 minutes. If you give the quality of McCormack that much space and time he will punish you."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/fulham_boss_hails_excellent_mccormack_after_former_leeds_man_sinks_nottingham_forest_1_3926071

WhiteJC

Fulham's Ross McCormack: Magath's criticism hurt but I've moved on and we won't give up on play-offs

Ross McCormack says he has put Felix Magath's criticism about his fitness behind him and is ready to help Fulham continue their climb up the Championship.

McCormack scored a hat-trick against Nottingham Forest and is starting to justify his £11million transfer fee following a difficult start his career at Craven Cottage.

Former Fulham manager Magath accused the forward of being overweight after his summer move from Leeds and placed him on a special fitness programme.

McCormack admits the criticism "hurt" but he is keen to put the whole episode behind him. The 28-year-old is beginning to rediscover his best form under Kit Symons and wants to build on his treble as Fulham eye a late push for the play-offs.

"It is nice to get a few goals under my belt," said McCormack, who has scored 10 in 31 appearances for Fulham this season. "Hopefully I can go on a run now and start scoring a few and justifying that price tag.

"When I came here and was told I was not fit enough, I felt a bit silly and that hurt me when I knew I could complete 90 minutes. The old manager's [idea of] fitness is different to anyone else in the world.

"But that is in the past now and I have played nearly every minute of every game since Kit has come in. I am at a level now that I am happy with and Kit is comfortable with."

McCormack completed his hat-trick after 35 minutes before Forest pulled two goals back through Henri Lansbury. Fulham held on to move within 10 points of the top six and increase the pressure on the Forest manager Stuart Pearce.

"We made hard work of it after going 3-0 up so early but we showed some spirit and it is always nice to knick a win like that," said McCormack.

"Ten points is a lot in the Championship but we are not writing ourselves off. With the quality we have in the squad, we are definitely looking up rather than down."

Fulham face Sunderland in the FA Cup on Saturday and Shaun Hutchinson has backed McCormack to go on a goalscoring run.

"He has got a bit of everything I think last night you saw the best of him," said the defender. "He has not been very selfish this season and has tried to assist goals, but he delivered last night and hopefully this will give him the confidence to push on."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulhams-ross-mccormack-magaths-criticism-hurt-but-ive-moved-on-and-we-wont-give-up-on-playoffs-9994423.html

WhiteJC

Behind Enemy Lines: shaky Fulham sink shaky Forest

Rob Hutchison, our man of single word player assessments took a trip to the north bank of the Thames last night to take in a not so sneak preview of our F.A. Cup opponents. Here's what he saw – little to fear for a Premier League side he thinks but as we all know too well, Sunderland is no ordinary Premier League side.

When my mate said he had a spare season ticket at Craven Cottage for their league game against Nottingham Forest last night, it struck me as the perfect opportunity to check out the opposition for our forthcoming Cup game on Saturday. So here in a couple of hundred words is a quick resume of what we can expect . . . .

Fulham lined up 4-4-2, with a Mag loving centre back by the name of Hutchinson holding the back line together, Scotty Parker and Ryan Tunnecliffe taking charge of the midfield and Rodallega and £10m danger man Ross McCormack as a front two.

Fulham were up to the pace of the game far quicker than Forest, winning all the second balls and carving out dangerous opportunities at will while Forest sat back, seemingly still on the team coach. By the 31st minute they were 3-0 down, courtesy of a stunning Ross MacCormack hat-trick – the first a clean left footed strike from 25 yards. The second was a similar but right footed strike into the left hand corner from 20 yards and his third another right footed effort from a similar distance albeit with a big deflection. The game was over – home and hosed. Bring on Sunderland.

But it's never that easy, is it? Although Forest were abject and I mean abject (think Sunderland but double it) schoolboy errors at the back by the home side helped to carve out a couple of opportunities for Forest and they pulled one back on the stroke of half time with a smart Henri Lansbury free kick. Pearce (black suit, brown shoes never a good combination) gambled and moved to 3-5-2 for the second half. The extra man in midfield caught Fulham cold, and they appeared completely unable to keep possession and re-create the silky smooth passing game wich had epitomised the first 45 minutes. Yet more defensive frailties were exploited and Forest deservedly scored a second from another Lansbury effort, again from outside the box.

Fulham brought on Bryan Ruiz for Parker, and Cauley Woodrow for the ineffective Rodallega but the red tide kept swarming forward and the home team continued to look very shaky under pressure at the back. Ultimately it wasn't enough for Forest and Fulham held on to secure a generally deserved win on the night.

So what do we have to deal with on Saturday? Well in a nutshell stop McCormack and you stop Fulham. He can go left or right, shoot at will with either foot from distance and while he doesn't possess pace, he occasionally drops deep into the hole and can be very difficult to pick up. A midfield enforcer like Cattermole would you'd hope deal with any threats from Parker and Tunnecliffe. We need to come out of the traps and deny Fulham any time on the ball. Under pressure there's and air of panic in their defence on occasions. They pass the ball neatly and patiently and are happy to build from the back, but there's also limited pace in their side, so you'd hope Brown and O'Shea (or any of our centre back pairings) could deal with everything in front of them, without the fear of runners exploiting any gaps. No real threat to speak of from the wingers or wing backs, should also give Johnno & Giaccherini (if playing) the chances to weave some magic. It's made for Van Arnholt and Defoe for me. Play the ball to them in the right areas and hopefully we'll be OK, but of course it's never easy with Sunderland.

So I guess to sum up – if Fulham play like they did in the first 45 minutes last night they should be play off certainties. If Forest do the same, Stuart Pearce will be next in line down the job centre.

- See more at: http://salutsunderland.com/2015/01/behind-enemy-lines-shaky-fulham-sink-shaky-forest/?#sthash.imr6uPdZ.dpuf

WhiteJC

Fulham to rival Burnley in Dorrans race

The Scotland international is surplus to requirements under Tony Pulis and the London side are confident of pursuading the midfielder to move to a Championship club

Fulham are ready to rival Burnley in the pursuit of West Brom midfielder Graham Dorrans, Goal understands.

Burnley are locked in negotiations with the Baggies in an attempt to strike a deal for the Scotland international midfielder.

Dorrans does not appear to be in new manager Tony Pulis's plans, with the former Stoke and Crystal Palace boss keen to make new signings during the January transfer window.

Burnley boss Sean Dyche, meanwhile, is hoping to add some Premier League experience to his side, and it is understood Dorrans is one of his main targets this month.

However, Goal understands that Fulham are set to make a move for the 27-year-old, and are confident they can land the former Livingston star and persuade him to drop into the Championship.

Dorrans has played twice since Pulis officially took charge at The Hawthorns, lasting 54 minutes of the 7-0 FA Cup victory over Gateshead before coming off the bench in the goalless draw with Everton on Monday.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2015/01/22/8186802/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham hat-trick hero makes plea to his boss

Mac wants to attack for Whites

At the double: McCormack celebrates his second goal against Forest
Ross McCormack has made a plea to return to an out-and-out striker's role and add to his 10 goals this season - and maybe score another hat-trick like the one that did for Nottingham Forest last night.

The Scotland international claimed the match ball by 35 minutes, and then had to work twice as hard to make sure Whites clung on to a 3-2 lead when Forest hit back.

In the last four games, McCormack has been asked by manager Kit Symons to play as a traditional number 10 behind the striker or out wide, but the forward is hankering for the chance to get closer to the goal tally that made him the Championship's leading scorer last season with Leeds.

He said: "I've played wide a lot; and just in front of the midfield, so if I can play in front up more often - then the goals will follow."

Hat-trick: McCormack scores the third for Fulham
What the £11m man knows will also follow is rekinded talk of a Whites charge for the play-offs, and while McCormack admits the club is looking up rather than over its shoulder at the relegation slots, he insists it's far too early to book a May date at Wembley.

"It's a bit premature to start talking about play-offs," he added. "The minute that happens you get battered the next game. It's the old cliche - we'll take each game as it comes."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-hat-trick-hero-makes-plea-8494646?

WhiteJC

Ross: We Stood Tall

Match winner Ross McCormack was pleased his hat-trick still earned Fulham a win on Wednesday night after opponents Nottingham Forest threatened a remarkable comeback.

The 28-year-old struck three times inside the opening 35 minutes to put his side in control of proceedings at Craven Cottage, but Henri Lansbury's well taken brace for the visitors heightened the tension in the ground.

The Whites kept Forest at bay, though, to earn a third successive victory and move level on points with Stuart Pearce's men in the Sky Bet Championship table.

"It was a strange game," McCormack admitted to fulhamfc.com. "We went 3-0 up pretty early on and then we wanted to see it out and maybe get another couple before half-time, but credit to Forest they came back into it.

"We changed our shape which probably gave them a bit of encouragement; going to a five in the middle and letting them sort of press us and trying to hit them on the break, which we didn't really do.

"Obviously it was a lot tighter than we thought it was going to be at 3-0 but it's a good learning curve and it will stand us in good stead if we go 3-0 up again, that's for sure."

It was the first time a Fulham player has scored a hat-trick since Pavel Pogrebnyak hit three against Wolverhampton Wanderers back in 2012.

McCormack grabbed his brace with two clinical finishes, before securing the match ball with a deflected effort – not that he minds how they find the back of the net.

"It's my goal," he insisted. "The shot was on target and it just deflected over the keeper's head. I'm a goalscorer, I'll claim anything.

"The first two were good finishes just outside the box, left foot, right foot. The third one was a slice of luck as I had the shot and it went over his head, but we'll take anything."

Wednesday night's antics took McCormack's total for the season to 10 – a number he's pleased with, especially considering he hasn't always operated as a central striker.

He explained: "People always look at the price tag and how many goals I've scored and say I was a waste of money and all that, but what you've got to realise is that in the positions I'm playing there are different things that hopefully I'm contributing to the team.

"If I wasn't contributing much the Manager would take me off every game and I wouldn't start. I'm playing 90 minutes nearly every game so it shows I must be doing something right.

"I came here as a striker, I want to score goals, and hopefully this is the start of a good run. Ten isn't a bad tally when you consider what positions I've played.

"If you go back to my first season at Leeds I scored two, so it's a very good tally compared to that! As I say, hopefully I can go on a run now."

The triumph over Forest made it two league wins in five days for Kit Symons' men, and follows on from an epic victory away to Wolves in the FA Cup to maintain an excellent run of results.

"We said at the start of last week, let's get through the cup tie and that will give us a good bit of belief," McCormack stated.

"I think against Reading on Saturday it was a completely different game to Forest. The first half versus Forest I thought we were excellent, a bit like Wolves away actually in the Cup.

"Against Reading I thought we were pretty poor to be honest and struggled, but we got the win. You're going to win games in different types of ways and we showed that we can dig in.

"Even against Forest, it's 3-2 after 60 minutes and they've battered us a little bit in the last half hour but we stood tall and have come away with another three points."

There's some league respite for the Whites now as a trip to the Stadium of Light awaits on Saturday, and McCormack is looking forward to taking on Barclays Premier League outfit Sunderland.

"It's always good to test yourself," he admitted. "It's the FA Cup and people will say our focus is on the league and climbing up the table a little bit, but it's always good to go and play Premier League teams and gauge where you're at."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/22/ross-we-stood-tall?

WhiteJC

Fulham Fell Forest!!

As so often happens in football, the euphoria of beating your most fierce locals rivals in the last minute is not carried into the next game.

Fulham had started the season with Felix Magath in charge, but a return of just 1 point from their opening 6 games was enough to see him replaced by Kit Symons in September after the reverse fixture at The City Ground.

Since then, Symon's men have been slowly repairing the damage, largely built upon their home form and a nucleus of Premier League experienced footballers.

Stuart Pearce named completely the same starting 11 and the same 7 subs, hoping that they would build on the momentum that beating Derby had generated.

Fulham showed their intent from the start with McCormack denied by a flying stop from de Vries. Forest's counter was blocked, before Rodallega found McCormack who swept home in style after 7 minutes.

Fulham were all over Forest, Kacaniklic wasted a great chance before Rodallega again fed McCormack who crashed the ball off the post & in after just 18 minutes.

Bettinelli blocked Assombalonga's effort, before de Vries made the save of the game to deny Fofana from close range.

Lichaj was replaced by a left footed player (McLaughlin) at left back, but he couldn't prevent McCormack completing a 29 minute hat trick shortly afterwards. His powerful shot benefitted from a deflection off Kane to loop over de Vries into the net - Forest were facing a cricket score!

Antonio fired over, before being brought down in injury time. Lansbury & Tesche combined with the former curling the free kick home to give Forest a barely deserved lifeline.

Forest had played that first half like many Sunday morning pub teams - hungover, lethargic and clueless.

A tactical switch saw Forest match up Fulham's midfield, with Antonio joining Britt up top and the second half couldn't have been more different to the first.

Sadly, Forest have done this too often this season - too slow out the blocks & conceding an early goal(s) before then starting to play, when the cause is lost.

That said, I have to give them credit for the second half performance - purposeful, passionate, energetic and perhaps unlucky - they shouldn't have had a chance, but a flurry of early chances & corners and half chances was rewarded when Lansbury curled home his second in fine style to bring the scores to an unlikely 3-2.

Forest had Fulham on the rack - they were dominating the game, with chance after chance being created. Assombalonga, Antonio, Hobbs, Tesche & Lansbury all came close, but they just couldn't get that equaliser.

Fulham looked like they had scored their 4th in injury time, but Woodrow was offside and despite Forest's best efforts Fulham were relieved to hear the full time whistle.

Schoolboy errors had seen a sleep walking Forest lose the game in that first half, but, the positives from that second half performance are there to see. Forest were unlucky not to get the draw - however, the game must be played from the first whistle to the last!

Read more: http://www.forest.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=549796#ixzz3PZk9UapI

WhiteJC

Fulham join race for Premier League midfielder

Fulham have joined Premier League Burnley in the race to sign West Brom midfielder Graham Dorrans, according to Goal.

The 27-year-old has fallen out of contention since the arrival of the new boss Tony Pulis and it has been reported that Pulis is looking to sell Dorrans in order to free up money to land fellow Scottish international, Darren Fletcher.

Dorrans' move to Burnley seemed to be complete with Dorrans being the main transfer target of Sean Dyche. However, Goal have reported that Fulham are now set to make a move and try and tempt Dorrans into the Sky Bet Championship.

Since joining from Livingston in 2008 Dorrans has made 154 appearances for the Baggies, scoring 21 goals, but has only featured twice since the arrival of Pulis on New Years Day.

Fulham are currently ten points off the Play-off spots in the Sky Bet Championship after a 3-2 victory over Stuart Pearce's Nottingham Forest last night.

It would be a big decision for Dorrans to snub Premier League football with Burnley however, should he choose a move to Craven Cottage, the addition of an experienced Premier League player in the midfield could help close the gap considerably for Kit Symons' side.

Dorrans does have experience of playing in the Champiopnship, having played for the Baggies during their time in the second tier of English football.

Adapting back to life in the Championship shouldn't be too hard for the Scotland international, and he could prove to be a real coup if Fulham can land the experienced midfielder.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-join-race-for-premier-league-midfielder/?

WhiteJC

Parker doubtful for Fulham's FA Cup trip

Captain Scott Parker may miss Fulham's FA Cup fourth-round tie at Sunderland on Saturday.

The Whites skipper, 34, suffered an ankle injury during his side's 3-2 league win over Nottingham Forest on Wednesday, hobbling off after 57 minutes.

Boss Kit Symons said the trip to the Stadium of Light may come too soon for Parker, but Lasse Vigen Christensen is set to return to the squad after recovering fully from a hamstring complaint.

Symons said: "Scotty came off with a bit of an ankle injury last night so we're not sure if he's going to be fit to travel or not.

"I'll need to speak to the physios but Lasse's been in training for this week and he's looking good, so I'm expecting him to be travelling and to be back in the squad."

Symons said long-term absentees Tim Hoogland and Fernando Amorebieta, who have both been out since early November, were still several weeks away from returning, but may start light training next week.

The Fulham boss also said he was hopeful of adding to his squad, saying a new signing was "hopefully very close".

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/parker-doubtful-for-fulhams-fa-cup-trip?

WhiteJC

Playing Sunderland in FA Cup is a bonus for Fulham, says Kit Symons
KIT SYMONS claims Fulham see their FA Cup fourth-round trip to Sunderland as a 'bonus'.

The Championship side will be aiming to inflict a shock against their top-flight hosts on Wearside.

But the Cottages boss is set to rest his star men amid burnout fears.

Scott Parker is among the injury doubts and Symons said: "It's a bonus game for us.

"We want to win it, of course, but we know it will be a tough game.

EYEING AN UPSET: Kit Symons is happy for Fulham to play the role of underdogs [GETTY]

"We have shown Premier League quality at times so it will be good to match it up against them.

"We will be considerable underdogs but I am happy with that."

Fulham return to action less than 72 hours after beating Nottingham Forest in the league.

Symons added: "We have played a lot of games of late and I'm mindful of that."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/421489/Playing-Sunderland-FA-Cup-bonus-Fulham-Kit-Symons

WhiteJC

Trio expected to miss cup tie

Cattermole, Johnson and Brown expected to miss Fulham clash.

Lee Cattermole, Adam Johnson and Wes Brown are expected to miss Saturday's FA Cup tie with Fulham through injury.

Cattermole and Johnson are both struggling with minor injuries with Brown also suffering from a knock, and first team coach Charlie Oatway admits the coaching staff are unlikely to take a risk.

Speaking to safc.com, Oatway stated that he expects all three are likely to return ahead of next weekend's match against Burnley.

"Lee Cattermole and Adam Johnson are both struggling with these little niggly injuries so it is very unlikely that they will take part in the game.

"Hopefully both of them will be fit to take part in training next week, but we can't take the risk and we need to make sure they're 100% fit before they return."

He continued: "Wes Brown also has a bit of a knock so we will assess him on Friday, but other than that we're okay.

"We also have Liam Bridcutt back in contention which gives us a boost in the midfield area in the absence of Catts, so it is great to have him available once more."

And Oatway also revealed that the Black Cats could also make a goalkeeping change when the Cottagers come to town.

"There is a good possibility that Vito [Mannone] could play, but I haven't spoken to Gus [Poyet] yet about what he wants to do with the goalkeepers."

http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2015/january/trio-expected-to-miss-cup-tie?

WhiteJC

Parker in fitness battle

Fulham captain Scott Parker is a doubt for Saturday's FA Cup tie against Sunderland due to an ankle injury picked up on Wednesday.

The Cottagers secured a priceless 3-2 victory over Nottingham Forest at Craven Cottage to move further away from the Championship relegation zone but the three points have come at a cost.

The skipper hobbled off after 57 minutes and is now a major doubt for the fourth-round clash at the Stadium of Light as Fulham look to oust their Premier League opponents.

Kit Symons admits Parker is facing a race against time to be fit in time for the match but the manager revealed that Lasse Vigen Christensen is in contention for a return.

"Scotty came off with a bit of an ankle injury last night so we're not sure if he's going to be fit to travel or not," he said.

"I'll need to speak to the physio but Lasse's been in training for this week and he's looking good, so I'm expecting him to be travelling and to be back in the squad."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/parker-in-fitness-battle-1755950.html?

WhiteJC

Jermain Defoe trains with Sunderland team-mates at Academy of Light ahead of home debut against Fulham in the FA Cup
Jermain Defoe joined Sunderland from Toronto earlier this month
He made his debut against former club Tottenham at White Hart Lane 
Defoe will now make his home debut in the FA Cup against Fulham
Lee Cattermole, Adam Johnson and Wes Brown are all set to be out

Jermain Defoe will make his home debut when Sunderland take on Fulham in the FA Cup Fourth Round on Saturday.

The 32-year-old – signed from Toronto earlier this month – made his Black Cats bow during last weekend's 2-1 defeat at former club Tottenham.

But Defoe will now run out at the Stadium of Light for the first time this weekend.

Jermain Defoe (centre) jogs with his Sunderland team-mates during a training session on Thursday morning

Jermain Defoe (centre) jogs with his Sunderland team-mates during a training session on Thursday morning

Defoe is expected to make his home debut against Fulham on Saturday in the FA Cup fourth round

'Jermain will probably play,' said assistant boss Charlie Oatway.

'He looks good in training and although he had an injury before he came here, he is ticking over nicely.

'We need to be careful with him but I am sure he will take part in some capacity on Saturday.'

Meanwhile, Lee Cattermole, Adam Johnson and Wes Brown are all set to miss the game.

Cattermole and Brown are both carrying minor knee injuries, while Johnson is struggling with a calf problem.

The players were seen laughing and joking during the session, as they prepare for the visit of Fulham

Players were made to bunny-hop over each other during a game at the Academy of Light on Thursday

Oatway added: 'There are one or two issues on the injury front.

'Adam has a bit of a calf problem, Wes has a knock to his knee and Lee has also got a bit of a problem with his knee. We are still monitoring those.

'Lee will be struggling for the weekend but it is not a major concern. We are confident he will be ready for next week.'

Emanuele Giaccherini (second left) and Costel Pantilimon (third left) show their height difference

Sunderland head coach Gus Poyet gets involved in the session (left) while Sebastian Larsson looks on (right)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2921841/Jermain-Defoe-trains-Sunderland-team-mates-ahead-home-debut-against-Fulham.html#ixzz3PZsFMWGV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Cottagers join Clarets target race

Burnley could face competition from Championship side Fulham for the signature of West Brom midfielder Graham Dorrans.

The 27-year-old Scotland international, who was made available for transfer by West Brom two years ago but stayed and signed a new three-year contract only last summer, is thought to be one player new Albion boss Tony Pulis is willing to offload to help him raise funds for new signings.

Reports claim Clarets boss Sean Dyche has been directed to Dorrans' possible availability by his club's head of recruitment Lee Darnbrough who worked with the player for almost five of his seven years at the Hawthorns.

However, while Dorrans fears a move to Turf Moor could end in relegation in the summer, it appears that Fulham are emerging as serious contenders to sign him.

The Cottagers are currently 10 points off a play-off place in the Championship but the Londoners seem confident of luring Dorrans to drop down a level with the promise of a serious promotion push next season if they fail to make the top six this time around.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/burnley/cottagers-join-clarets-target-race-1755962.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham count the cost ahead of Sunderland cup tie

Captain likely to be missing at Stadium of Light

Serious doubt: Parker (R)
Scott Parker is a serious doubt for the FA Cup tie at Sunderland on Saturday - but Lasse Vigen Christensen has booked his seat on the team bus.

The captain picked up an ankle injury in the 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest last night, but the Danish midfielder is almost certain to be a welcome return to the fold after a four-match absence.

Now eligible for the fourth round are midfielders Ryan Tunnicliffe and Alex Kacaniklic, with Whites boss Kit Symons confident his side will give the Black Cats a scare.

He said: "I'll need to speak to the physios after training today but Lasse Christensen's been in training for this week and he's looking good so I'm expecting him to be travelling and to be back in the squad.

Lasse Vigen Christensen takes on Sheffield Wednesday's Keiren Westwood
"There's a few knocks and a few cuts and bruises from last night as you would expect, but overall looking pretty good.

"Scotty Parker's probably the biggest concern because he came off with a bit of an ankle injury last night so we're not sure if he's going to be fit to travel or not.

"But other than that we came through relatively unscathed, so all looking all right."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-count-cost-ahead-sunderland-8498970?

WhiteJC

Costel geared up for Cottagers clash

Stopper ready for Cup challenge.

Costel Pantilimon is urging Sunderland supporters to back the team in their FA Cup fourth-round tie against Fulham.

The Romanian goalkeeper has been thoroughly impressed by the club's supporters at the Stadium of Light and beyond, and he believes a stellar backing against the Cottagers can help fire the Black Cats into the last 16.

Speaking to safc.com Pantilimon explained the importance of the FA Cup, before warning of the threat posed by the Championship side.

"Saturday's game is a very important one for us because we want to continue our run in the competition.

"I think we can go forward and it is a great opportunity to progress to the next round."

He added: "We cannot underestimate Fulham and we cannot think we have won the game before it takes place.

"We respect every opponent who comes to the Stadium of Light but we know we have the right mentality to win the game."

And Pantilimon also hailed the impact of the red and white army, whose incredible support has been evident throughout the course of the campaign.

"The fans are very important and we have seen throughout the season how good they are at home and on the road.

"It is important for us to be together at every game so hopefully we have the same support on Saturday."

http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2015/january/pantilimon-on-fulham?

WhiteJC

BOCA SWITCH ATTENTION TO FULHAM'S BRYAN RUIZ

Whilst Boca Juniors have been actively strengthening their defence, they have made no secret of their desire to add a new number 10 to the squad. First choice, Nicolás Lodeiro and second choice, Gastón Ramírez appear to be out of reach and now Los Xeneizes have switched attention to Fulham's Costa Rican attacker, Bryan Ruiz.

This also remains some way off with the championship side demanding in the region of $6 million which is considerably more than Boca would be able to pay. Carlos Arruabarrena is quietly putting together a decent looking side and if they could add a player of Ruiz's quality to the attack, 2015 would look to be an improvement on recent seasons.

http://golazoargentino.com/2015/01/22/boca-switch-attention-to-fulhams-bryan-ruiz/?

WhiteJC

Sunderland AFC go into FA Cup game against Fulham with injury doubts over key trio

Lee Cattermole, Wes Brown and Adam Johnson might miss this weekend's FA Cup fourth round tie against Fulham at the Stadium of Light

Sunderland go into this weekend's FA Cup clash with Fulham with injury doubts over three key first-teamers.

Midfielder Lee Cattermole and centre-back Wes Brown are both suffering from minor knee problems, while wideman Adam Johnson is struggling with a calf injury.

Cattermole is set to resume jogging tomorrow, and no final decision has yet been taken over whether to involve the trio in the fourth round tie at the Stadium of Light.

But first-team coach Charlie Oatway hinted that the Black Cats are unlikely to take any risks with players who are less than 100% fit.

"We've got a few little knocks, no different to any club so it's not worth harping on about," said Oatway, who stood in for boss Gus Poyet on media duties ahead of the cup game.

"We've got Lee Cattermole with a little knock, Wes Brown and Adam Johnson, who has a twinge in his calf.

"I think Lee is jogging tomorrow, but it's a strong possibility that they won't be participating in the game."

A groin problem has kept Cattermole out of the side since Sunderland's goalless draw at Aston Villa at the end of December and, while he has now recovered from that, this latest injury has delayed his return.

But Sunderland will at least be able to call upon midfielder Liam Bridcutt on Saturday, who is available again after serving a one-match ban that ruled him out of last weekend's trip to Spurs.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-afc-go-fa-cup-8498456?

WhiteJC

Fulham hopeful of signing Stoke defender Robert Huth on loan

Championship side Fulham are hoping they can lure Stoke City Robert Huth on loan in this window, as the Daily Mail reports.

The experienced German defender had a torrid time with injuries this season, having picked up a knee injury at the end of last season and had a double set back by injuring his calf in early October, resulting in him only playing nine minutes this season.

Last season Huth also struggled and played for only half a season and made 18 tackles, and won 38 out of 58 of his aerial duels in 12 appearances.

As a result of his injuries, he has been frozen out of the Stoke squad and is keen on a move away to another Premier League club, as reported by the Mail. However, a move to Fulham on loan may well be what awaits for the 30 year-old with Stoke liking the option of recalling him at any time, as claimed by the Mail.

The German defender is also being tracked by the likes of Watford and Reading, and Huth's manager Mark Hughes believes, as reported by The Guardian, a loan move is just what the 30 year-old needs as he attempts to recover from injury and get more games under his belt.

The West Londoners are currently in mid-table in the Championship with 34 points from 27 games and have recovered from their three game losing streak by winning back to back games against Reading and Nottingham Forest.

The Craven Cottage outfit could use a player of Huth's calibre as they go about plugging the gap in the defence which has conceded 47 goals so far.

Robert Huth made 69 clearances for Stoke last season in the Premier League

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/fulham-hopeful-of-signing-stoke-defender-robert-huth-on-loan/281049#GIXZx6WwIL0VZ5JL.99

WhiteJC

FA Cup Preview: Sunderland v Fulham

Kit Symons is happy for Fulham to be considered the underdogs for their FA Cup fourth round tie at Sunderland on Saturday.

After being relegated from the Premier League last season, Fulham have been inconsistent so far in the Championship this time around.

However, they have won their last two matches, including a 3-2 victory over Nottingham Forest on Wednesday, thanks to a hat-trick from striker Ross McCormack.

Sunderland have been in poor form since the turn of the year, with their only win in 2015 coming at home against Fulham's Championship rivals Leeds United in the previous round of this competition.

In the league, they have gone five matches without a win, with their sole point during that run coming from a 0-0 draw at fellow strugglers Aston Villa.

And Symons is content for all the pressure to be on Sunderland to help his side achieve a positive result at the weekend.

"We'll be considerable underdogs on Saturday, but I'm quite happy with that," he said.

However, Symons may have to cope without his captain Scott Parker at the Stadium of Light after the midfielder was forced off during the win over Forest.

"There's a few knocks and a few cuts and bruises from last night as you would expect, but overall, looking pretty good," he said.

"Scotty Parker's probably the biggest concern because he came off with a bit of an ankle injury last night so we're not sure if he's going to be fit to travel or not.

"But other than that we came through relatively unscathed, so all looking alright."

In more positive news, Fulham could welcome back midfielder Lasse Vigen Christensen, who has missed the last four matches with a hamstring injury.

"I'll need to speak to the physios after training but Lasse Christensen's been in training for this week and he's looking good so I'm expecting him to be travelling and to be back in the squad," Symons said.

Sunderland, meanwhile, will be without Lee Cattermole, Adam Johnson and Wes Brown for Saturday's match.

The club's first team coach Charlie Oatway has revealed that midfielders Cattermole and Johnson have minor problems, while defender Brown is suffering from a knock and all three are unlikely to be risked.

"Lee Cattermole and Adam Johnson are both struggling with these little niggly injuries so it is very unlikely that they will take part in the game," he said.

"Hopefully both of them will be fit to take part in training next week, but we can't take the risk and we need to make sure they're 100 per cent fit before they return.

"Wes Brown also has a bit of a knock so we will assess him on Friday, but other than that we're okay.

"We also have Liam Bridcutt back in contention which gives us a boost in the midfield area in the absence of Catts, so it is great to have him available once more."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/sunderland-v-fulham-symons-happy-underdogs-tag#dGV6Eh0aVAqqjUqU.99