watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Frustrating argument with a Chelski fan

Started by domprague, January 26, 2015, 06:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domprague

:dead horse:I got myself into a frustrating argument with a Chelski fan on Facebook at the weekend. I put up 'Billionaire's Bauble 2 Bradford City 4' as my status. The husband of a friend of my wife came back with 'what are Fulham then?' I was trying to explain to bloke - who has at least being going to see the Stamford Bridge Stumblers since 1971 - that it is different. That Chairman Mo put in decent money but not stupid wages, that he hasn't looted Russia and screwed over the Siberians and that we still feel like a club not a plaything.
His point was that no one makes a fortune honestly and Khan is also a billionaire. In the interest of keeping our wives sweet I let it go but it irked me. We do feel morally superior to the lot up the Fulham Road but how do we explain it?
I know I'm probably  :dead horse:
but  :air fix:
(I"m not sure what the second icon means, my daughter picked it for me)
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Whitesideup

You could also point out that Chairman Mo did not lose any money. As far as I am aware the price he got paid off all the sums of money owed to him (ie his total net investment). I don't know what he took out in fees / salaries (for his son?) so in fact he may have made an overall profit. True, he did invest a large sum of money, approaching the £200 million over a ten year period, but if you increase the value of your asset by the same amount, this is not the same as chucking in a billion or two for an asset worth say 500 million.   

Fulham Tup North

Alternatively, just ask who Chelsea have got in the 5th round of the FA Cup!!
End of :)
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

YankeeJim

Not having a go but someone once said something like "don't argue with a fool. Observers won't be able to tell the difference".

On the other hand, its good to be kind to the handicapped and a scum fan would certainly qualify.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

domprague

Nice one.

Quote from: Fulham Tup North on January 26, 2015, 07:18:34 PM

stevehawkinslidingtackle

Quote from: domprague on January 26, 2015, 06:59:08 PM
:dead horse:I got myself into a frustrating argument with a Chelski fan on Facebook at the weekend. I put up 'Billionaire's Bauble 2 Bradford City 4' as my status. The husband of a friend of my wife came back with 'what are Fulham then?' I was trying to explain to bloke - who has at least being going to see the Stamford Bridge Stumblers since 1971 - that it is different. That Chairman Mo put in decent money but not stupid wages, that he hasn't looted Russia and screwed over the Siberians and that we still feel like a club not a plaything.
His point was that no one makes a fortune honestly and Khan is also a billionaire. In the interest of keeping our wives sweet I let it go but it irked me. We do feel morally superior to the lot up the Fulham Road but how do we explain it?

Hey mate, without sounding like a cynical pr1ck, does it all really matter ?. Never really understand it myself, getting in arguments with opposing supporters about where my teams money comes from, the credibility of the owners or justifying why we should support them. That stuff doesn't even make it to the bottom of my shoe. Yeah I support Fulham, but win lose or draw, I go home after the game not really giving a sh1te, because Ive probably had a good day out. I stopped those sort of debates about 15 yrs ago, when I realized that its all p1sh.
As you say, you have a daughter, so just let it go and concentrate all your energy on her, your family and everyone else in your life. I'm pretty sure the millionaire players and owners, we are so desperate to defend on facebook or in the pub, don't really give a sh1te about us or our loyalty, when they bounce from one badge kissing club to the next, so in a way, as  we are slowly being priced out of supporting our team, we really should just treat them and the owners with the contempt they deserve. Support them on the terraces, applaud when they play well, but just laugh when they play sh1t. That's my philosophy. I think its better to leave all that 'defending them with my honour nonsense on Facebook' , to the 14yr olds, until they know better. Sorry.

EJL

We're technically not through yet...

Willard

I think it's a bit sweeping to assert, as you do,  that "We do feel morally superior to that lot up the Fulham Road".

You might not like Abramovich but it is extremely unlikely that Charman Mo will be held up as a paragon of business ethics either.

Both Fulham and Chelsea are businesses. One is clearly more successful than the other and that it is due to the money their owner has put in. Three cheers for them. What would you have done if Abramovich had decided to buy Fulham instead of Chelsea?

Logicalman

Well, perhaps not until/unless we are due to meet them in the 5th Round though!  :023:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Willard on January 26, 2015, 08:51:20 PM

I think it's a bit sweeping to assert, as you do,  that "We do feel morally superior to that lot up the Fulham Road".

You might not like Abramovich but it is extremely unlikely that Charman Mo will be held up as a paragon of business ethics either.

Both Fulham and Chelsea are businesses. One is clearly more successful than the other and that it is due to the money their owner has put in. Three cheers for them. What would you have done if Abramovich had decided to buy Fulham instead of Chelsea?

Travelling to away matches in different countries perhaps?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Burt

Unless we start winning things I think it is pretty pointless trying to get one over on our dear neighbours... Just sayin'

Andy S

I agree that none of it matters. The fact is they are a top 5 club and expect to win things while we are not and hope to. As far as supporters are concerned we are all very similar in respect that we are all in the hands of the people with the money and that my friend is that

gerrys

just let's wait and see if we can beat Bradford City AWAY.....

epsomraver

Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on January 26, 2015, 07:58:12 PM

Hey mate, without sounding like a cynical pr1ck, does it all really matter ?. Never really understand it myself, getting in arguments with opposing supporters about where my teams money comes from, the credibility of the owners or justifying why we should support them. That stuff doesn't even make it to the bottom of my shoe. Yeah I support Fulham, but win lose or draw, I go home after the game not really giving a sh1te, because Ive probably had a good day out. I stopped those sort of debates about 15 yrs ago, when I realized that its all p1sh.
As you say, you have a daughter, so just let it go and concentrate all your energy on her, your family and everyone else in your life. I'm pretty sure the millionaire players and owners, we are so desperate to defend on facebook or in the pub, don't really give a sh1te about us or our loyalty, when they bounce from one badge kissing club to the next, so in a way, as  we are slowly being priced out of supporting our team, we really should just treat them and the owners with the contempt they deserve. Support them on the terraces, applaud when they play well, but just laugh when they play sh1t. That's my philosophy. I think its better to leave all that 'defending them with my honour nonsense on Facebook' , to the 14yr olds, until they know better. Sorry.

:plus one:

domprague

Fair points from you all. I shouldn't have taken the bait from him. It's just that...Chelsea seem worse than anyone in the League. They'll go on about all that they've won when for decades they were an irrelevance who won nothing, had a stadium that was falling down and had some of the nastiest racist thugs in the country masquerading as their supporters. I know that we pole vaulted up the divisions thanks to Mo's money but the majority of Fulham fans don't seem to have the sense of smug superiority of Chelsea.
Chairman Mo always strikes me as an Arthur Daiey made good. Abramovich is in a different league of theft. Had he bought us, I really don't know what I would have done.
stevehawkinslidingtackle - you don't sound like a cynical p**** at all. If anything, I feel like a naive p****.

nose

i feel vastly moraly suprior to chelsea fans because we are a decent lot of easy going funny good bnatured people (by and large)
they are unpleasnat oafish and generally reprehensible... we sometimes play spot the chelsea fan from the way they dress and look... and we are more often right than wrong... the only problem nowasays is the glory hunters have dilluted the esscence of chelsea unpleasantness...  it is a horrible atmosphere at stamford bridge, it always was,

fulham traveller

As I say to Chelsea fans, there are millions of sheep in this world, and not many shepherds, cfc fans are sheeps

Jonaldiniho 88

Chealscum are the best team in the league this season. Hope they don't win but if they win oh well . I'd rather concentrate on our situation and beat them when we are up. Hate them but credit where due, they are a few leagues above us. We have brentford and qpr to worry about before we take aim on them.
   A lot of fans on here used to watch them and fulham on alternative games back in the day. How it's changed but my dad still likes them and he knows better if not on this one. Let's beat teams around us before we start pretending we can play them. All I can say is Luis boa morte, I was there and that blue flag is nothing but loo roll.

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Airfix

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin (1937-2008)