more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (29/01/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 28, 2015, 05:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

O'Shea focused on job in hand

JOHN O'SHEA insists Sunderland are not looking beyond next week's FA Cup fourth-round replay with Fulham, despite the incentive of a fifth round tie against League One side Bradford City.

The Black Cats travel to Craven Cottage on Tuesday after they were held to a goalless draw at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

Gus Poyet's side, 16th in the Premier League table, host 17th placed Burnley this weekend, but having been paired with the Bantams in Monday night's draw, there is already plenty of talk about the prospect of facing the club that knocked Chelsea out.

A win in south west London would set up a tie against Phil Parkinson's men at Valley Parade, and although the Black Cats are well aware of the momentum a cup run can create, O'Shea is refusing to look any further than Tuesday's replay.

"People will look at Bradford City and how they were the big giant-killers from the last round against Chelsea, and it was obviously amazing for them to come from 2-0 down and win," O'Shea said. "They will be happy with a home draw but we have a tough away game against Fulham, so hopefully we can progress but it is going to be difficult.

"The teams in the lower leagues have already shown how strong they can be, but as I said first off we have to take care of Fulham and we look forward to that."

Bradford came from two down to win 4-2 at Stamford Bridge on a dramatic day of upsets. The Bantams are no stranger to a cup run having reached the Capital One Cup final in 2013 and former Middlesbrough defender Andrew Davies is hoping to be reunited with a couple of old friends.

Davies came up through the ranks at Boro at the same time as Adam Johnson and Danny Graham and the 30-year-old is keen to face his former team-mates in the next round.

He said: "I'd like Sunderland because I've got friends who play for them. Adam Johnson was obviously at Middlesbrough with me and Danny Graham, so it would be good to get them.

"It's nice to be at home and get as many fans as possible in the stadium. I don't think many teams will want to come here, especially if it's full.

"If we do play Sunderland, they are going to bring a lot of fans and if we can get 15,000 or more it's going to be a great atmosphere.

"We've proved a couple of years ago that we can beat anyone at Valley Parade in the cup and that Chelsea game has opened everyone eyes to how good we can be this season."

Sunderland, meanwhile, have been linked with a move for former Arsenal defender Emmanuel Eboue. The right-back has been released by Turkish club Galatasaray, having not played first-team football for nine months.

Poyet is keen to continue playing the 3-5-2 system he has adopted following Jermain Defoe's arrival, although he is short of a naturally-attacking right-sided defenders.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/sunderland/11753680._/?

WhiteJC

McCormack: I had this teammate to thank for my Leeds United success

Fulham forward has credited Matt Smith with his success at Leeds United, should the Cottagers take note?

Fulham should look to take note from the player Ross McCormack credits with his success at Leeds United.

The Scotsman scored 29 goals in all competitions for Leeds last season, but is yet to reach half that tally for Fulham this campaign, despite an impressive hat-trick against Nottingham Forest one week ago.

He suggests some of the adjustment is due to the different approaches employed by the clubs, and praises former Leeds striker Matt Smith.

He told Get West London: "If you look at the league table Fulham and Leeds are similar, but with two different styles.

"Last season, I was up front with big Matty Smith and he was a great foil for me. He took the hits, and I just walked around."

So wouldn't it be great if Smith was around for McCormack to play alongside right now? Unfortunately for McCormack, Smith was signed in the summer by Fulham, but barely got a look in.

He was sent out on loan to Bristol City, and has been impressing for the League One side, scoring for fun and attracting real praise for his battling display against Premier League side West Ham United in the FA Cup at the weekend.

While as McCormack points out, Smith being available would mean a different style, there is nothing wrong with having an alternative option, and the former Oldham forward has not had a fair chance in west London yet, since his disastrous debut on which he was sent off, with Felix Magath still in charge.

McCormack's comments also highlight to Leeds too that letting the striker leave so easily may have been an error. Leeds have not scored a single headed goal all season in the Championship, one of Smith's main strengths.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/01/27/mccormack-i-had-this-teammate-to-thank-for-my-leeds-united-succe/?

WhiteJC

Fulham winger wants Ruiz stay

Costa Rican's Craven Cottage future remains up in the air

Uncertain future: Fulham star Bryan Ruiz
Alex Kacaniklic has urged Bryan Ruiz to stay and help Fulham's charge up the table.

Valencia are one of several European clubs who are interested in the Costa Rican World Cup star, who is available for a nominal fee with his contract due to expire in the summer.

The midfielder has managed only 13 goals in 95 games since joining Fulham for £10.6million in 2011 and Kit Symons admits the midfielder could leave Craven Cottage this month.

But Kacaniklic has urged his team-mate to stick with the Whites.

"He's only got six months left on his contract I think, so he's always going to be linked with clubs all the time," said the Sweden star.

"He's a good player and he showed it in the World Cup so I'm not surprised. It's just up to him what he wants. Of course we want to keep good players here."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-winger-wants-ruiz-stay-8531527?

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough's FA Cup clash at Arsenal will be screened live but Sunderland won't if they beat Fulham in replay

Sunderland face Fulham in FA Cup fourth round replay

MIDDLESBROUGH'S trip to Arsenal in the fifth round of the FA Cup will be screened live on television but Bradford City at home to either Sunderland or Fulham has not been selected for coverage.

Gus Poyet's Sunderland side face a replay at Fulham after a goalless draw at the Stadium of Light in the fourth round.

Boro, meanwhile, progressed after an impressive 2-0 win away at Manchester City at the Etihad stadium to seal their place in the next round.

The FA has confirmed a total of five fifth round ties will be broadcast over three days in February.

The action begins on BT Sport at lunchtime on Saturday, February 14 as West Bromwich Albion take on West Ham United at 12.45pm.

Later on the same day Alan Pardew's Crystal Palace welcome either Liverpool or Bolton Wanderers to Selhurst Park and the game will be broadcast live on BT Sport at 5.30pm.

On Sunday, February 15 there is another cup double for TV viewers.

First up are Aston Villa, who welcome Leicester City to Villa Park at 12.30pm live on BBC One.

The second live tie of the day is between Arsenal and Middlesbrough, which kick-offs at 4pm and is on BT Sport.

The fifth and final live tie has the BBC One cameras travelling to either Preston North End or Sheffield United, who will take on the winner of the Manchester United and Cambridge United replay.

The FA live broadcast fee is £247,500 per club.

Prize fund payment is £180,000 per club.

All other ties will be played at 3pm on Saturday, February 14.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/middlesbrough-s-fa-cup-clash-at-arsenal-will-be-screened-live-but-sunderland-won-t-if-they-beat-fulham-in-replay-1-7075566

WhiteJC

Regan Poole, 16, to join Fulham, but stay at Newport on loan

Newport County defender Regan Poole will complete his move to Fulham before the January transfer window closes.

But Poole, 16, will stay on loan at the League Two promotion chasers for the rest of the 2014-15 campaign.

Manager Justin Edinburgh said: "For Fulham I think it makes sense because they are going to have a player who will probably be into double figures on League appearances at the age of 16."

Edinburgh is also close to sealing the loan signing of a League One striker.

He said talks were at an "advanced" stage and the deal could be made ahead of Saturday's game against Shrewsbury.

County have been negotiating Poole's move to Fulham for some weeks and Edinburgh feels the loan arrangement "is only going to enhance his progression".

Edinburgh added: "They are more than happy. They have seen the progression he has made in the short time they have been tracking him.

"He is going to learn far more playing for us, a team chasing promotion, than playing development team football. Fulham see that as well."

Meanwhile, versatile midfielder Robbie Wilmott made his return from a foot injury in a development team match on Tuesday.

Wilmott has been sidelined since October when there were fears he would miss the rest of the season.

He might now be considered for a squad place against Shrewsbury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31017996

WhiteJC

Smith's loan deal extended

Fulham striker to remain with City for another month.
City have reached an agreement with Fulham to extend Matt Smith's loan spell until March 1st.

The 25-year-old striker has bagged nine goals in 12 appearances for the club since joining on emergency loan at the end of November.

Now Smith will be available for every game up to and including the home match with Rochdale on February 28th.

Smith cannot extend his loan stay in BS3 further than March 1st due to FIFA rules, having already played for Leeds United and parent club Fulham in 2014/15.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/smiths-loan-deal-extended-2231873.aspx#5FhVMBEj1DE7tWYr.99

WhiteJC

Flag Bearers Package

Don't let your young Whites supporter miss out on the chance to be part of our matchday build-up when we re-launch our Flag Bearer package starting with the home game against Birmingham City on Saturday 7th February (3pm).

There are just four games left for young Whites to be part of the new Flag Bearer package, which now includes a free Home Shirt as well as the opportunity to get it signed when visited by a First Team player in the Maestro Lounge before kick-off.

Experience the exciting pre-match atmosphere, meet your Fulham heroes and welcome the teams onto the historic Craven Cottage turf!

Your Fulham Flag Bearer package includes:

Access to Maestro's Lounge pre-match and at half-time

Food served in the lounge prior to kick-off, with adult and kids meals served

A free junior 2014/15 Fulham Home Shirt

Visit from members of the Fulham First Team

Pre-match tour prior to kick-off

Seats in the Johnny Haynes Stand for the match

Soft drinks, tea and coffee inclusive, with access to a cash bar for all other beverages

Child on pitch before kick-off to welcome the Whites and their opponents

Matchday programme for every guest

Buy Flag Bearers Online
£50 (+vat) per person. For example one adult and one child = £100. One adult and two children = £150.

Limited Flag Bearer packages available for the following matches:

February 2015

Sat 7 Feb 2015   15:00    Birmingham City

Sat 28 Feb 2015 15:00    Derby County

March 2015

Sat 7 Mar 2015   15:00    A.F.C. Bournemouth

April 2015

Sat 25 Apr 2015 15:00    Middlesbrough

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/28/flag-bearers-package?

WhiteJC

Here's To You, Ryan Tunnicliffe

The affection felt by the Fulham faithful for Ryan Tunnicliffe has never been in question.

Even when not in the First Team picture last season, Whites fans – particularly at away matches – would belt out their own version of Simon & Garfunkel's 1968 hit, 'Mrs Robinson'.

With the lyrics changed to, "and here's to you, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Fulham loves you more than you will know," the young midfielder is the latest player whose chant takes on the tune of a classic pop track. The likes of Bryan Ruiz (Depeche Mode), Sascha Riether (Human League) and Ashkan Dejagah (Sting) have been given similar treatment in recent years.

"I like it!" Tunnicliffe told fulhamfc.com. "It's my first song I've ever had so I like it. If you hear your name being chanted by the fans then you must be doing something right or you're quite liked, so it's nice and it spurs me on to try and repay their faith in me and try the hardest for the Club.

"I heard it for the first time against Nottingham Forest, just vaguely, and I heard it against Sunderland as well, so I've finally heard it now so I'm happy.

"I'm obviously buzzing to have my own song. Growing up it's something that you hear when you're on the terraces watching games. You hear chants and hope one day that you'll have one of those yourself. And now I have, it's great."

Whites fans have good reason to celebrate the 22-year-old's return to the squad, as the team have lost only once in the four games he's played since returning from a loan spell at Saturday's opponents Blackburn Rovers

"Obviously the first one, Cardiff, wasn't what we wanted but we've taken a lot of positives from those games," Tunnicliffe stated. "We've picked up a couple of wins, which I think we thoroughly deserved.

"I'm pleased with how I've done. I think I've come back and settled in quite quickly, and I'm just trying to play my normal game."

Having been utilised in wider roles in his fleeting appearances for the Club last season, Tunnicliffe has been restored to his natural central midfield position by Kit Symons.

And with Lasse Vigen Christensen returning from injury, Scott Parker hopefully nearing a return, and Seko Fofana having his loan extended until the end of the season, it's an area of the field where Fulham are plush with options.

"I prefer central midfield and I'm obviously happy to be playing there now and contributing to the team," Tunnicliffe stated. "It's good to have that competition for places, I think it keeps you on your toes because everyone knows that they're not guaranteed to start every week and if you have a run of bad games there's someone there ready to step up and take their chance."

Having played every minute of the last four games for which he's been eligible, Tunnicliffe has quickly established himself as an important member of Symons' side.

And he'll be in familiar surroundings on Saturday at Ewood Park, having made 17 appearances for Rovers during the first half of the season.

"It was great at Blackburn," he admitted. "The gaffer there expressed how much he wanted me and stuff like that, so playing me and having faith in me restored my confidence as a player and got me playing well again, got me fit, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

"Now I've learnt, grown as a player, and I think I'm much better now which will help me now that I'm back at Fulham."

And when asked if Fulham Manager Symons had requested an informal scouting report on his former teammates, Tunnicliffe replied: "He's not asked me anything yet but I'm sure building up to the game he'll ask me about what style of play they adopt and who to look out for and danger men and stuff like that.

"I'll be happy to give him input so hopefully I can help us get the three points on Saturday.

"Blackburn have got a fit bunch of lads. I think that's why I fit in so well – they run every minute of every game and, when I was there, we scored a few late goals to nick points, so they keep going until the very end.

"They've got the ability to mix it up, too. They've got players like Ben Marshall and Corry Evans in midfield, Tom Cairney who can pass it, and also if they want to mix it up and go long to Rudy [Gestede] he's unplayable in the air on his day, so it will definitely be a hard game for us."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/28/heres-to-you-ryan-tunnicliffe?

WhiteJC

No Gazza-like tears for Smith

Fulham striker keen to be cheering on the team in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final.
Matt Smith is happy to play the "Gazza" role for City against Gillingham tomorrow night (7.45pm).

The Fulham striker has just extended his emergency loan at Ashton Gate for the maximum of 93 days, ending on March 1st.

However, if City were to reach the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final against Walsall on March 22nd, Smith would be unable to take part.

It's reminiscent of Italia '90, when Paul Gascoigne's booking against West Germany meant he would be banned for the World Cup final, but the inspirational midfielder battled on regardless.

There won't quite be Gazza's tears (pictured) from Smith about his misfortune.

He told Bristol City Player: "Of course it's a bit frustrating that I wouldn't be available if Bristol City reach Wembley.

"When I first joined the club I knew I could only stay for a maximum of 93 days, so it's not like it's a big surprise.

"I'll still be doing everything I can for the team to get to Wembley. Maybe I'll get a chance to play at Wembley further down the line in my career.

"Perhaps I can be in the stands cheering the team on, but first things first, there's still a job to do in getting past Gillingham in the second leg tomorrow."

Smith's four-goal salvo in the first leg has provided City's 4-2 aggregate lead to take into the home tie. He's also the competition's leading scorer in 2014/15.

"I've had some success against Gillingham already this season but this is a totally different game," said Smith.

"We'll give it our full focus like we have every other match and hopefully we'll produce a performance that's good enough to take us through."

Secure your seat for City's Johnstone's Paint Trophy southern area final second leg against Gillingham on Thursday by calling 0117 963 0600, online or by visiting the Bristol Sport Megastore.

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/no-gazza-like-tears-for-smith-2232471.aspx#xJ2MfuM8Hpbp8xhO.99

WhiteJC

Smiths Loan Extension

The Club can confirm that Matt Smith's loan spell at Bristol City has been extended until 1st March 2015.

The striker has scored nine goals in 12 matches since joining the Robins.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/28/smiths-loan-extension?

WhiteJC

CITY MATCH NOT SELECTED FOR F.A CUP TELEVISED TIE

The Bantams' forthcoming F.A Cup match at home to either Sunderland or Fulham at the Coral Windows Stadium will not be televised after The F.A confirmed this Wednesday which fifth round ties will be broadcast live on T.V.

Despite Phil Parkinson's men currently being the top scorers in the F.A Cup this season and the talk of a nation following their stunning victory over Chelsea in the previous round, City's match against Sunderland or Fulham will be one of only three ties not to be televised.

F.A Cup Fifth Round ties are due to be played over the weekend of the 14/15 February 2015.

No date and/or kick off time has been confirmed as of yet for the Sunderland/Fulham tie, although the most likely day for the match at present is Saturday 14 February - kick off 3:00pm.

The following fifth round ties will be broadcast live by either BBC Sport or BT Sport.

West Bromwich Albion vs West Ham United
Crystal Palace vs Liverpool/Bolton Wanderers
Aston Villa vs Leicester City
Arsenal vs Middlesbrough
Preston North End/Sheffield United vs Cambridge United/Manchester United

The F.A live broadcast fee is £247,500 per club.

Read more at http://www.bradfordcityfc.co.uk/news/article/city-match-not-selected-for-f.a-cup-televised-tie-2232497.aspx#16vhzHc0JoHmsP5y.99

WhiteJC

Duo's England U17 Call-Ups

Tayo Edun and Foday Nabay have been named in the England Under-17 squad for the upcoming Algarve Tournament.
Left-back Edun keeps his place in the set-up having been selected to compete in the Nike Tournament at the end of last year, while midfielder Nabay makes the step up to the Under-17s for the first time.

In the four-team tournament the Young Lions will take on the Netherlands on Friday 13th February, before facing host nation Portugal two days later.

Their final match will then see them play Germany on the 17th, and the team with the best overall record will take home the trophy.

At the 2014 Algarve Tournament, Patrick Roberts featured in all three games as England just missed out on winning the competition to Germany.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/january/28/duos-england-u17-call-ups?

WhiteJC

Fulham Extend Smith Loan Spell

Over at Ashton Gate our striker, on loan to Bristol City, is having a whale of a time.

Since going out on loan Matt Smith has scored nine goals in twelve appearances for Bristol City and it comes as no surprise that the West Country side have requested that the be allowed to extend the loan period of the 25 year-old.

Smith`s attributes were perfectly illustrated on Sunday when his two powerful headers were cleared off of the line by West Ham United in the 4th round FA Cup tie between the clubs.

The outcome of the loan extension application is that Smith will now remain at Ashton Gate until 1st March.

Here at Vital Fulham we wish Matt well during his extended loan spell.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=386313#ixzz3QBKFKhic