News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Whats the big deal with the live commentary?

Started by dannyboi-ffc, January 31, 2015, 05:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

When we were in the premier league I never had to listen to it, I go to every home game and away games I was either there or I streamed it instead. This season I've found myself busy when were away and just follow the scores since there's no streams available.

So today was the very first time ever I've listened to Gentleman Jim and I have to say I found it unbelievably boring, it kept cutting out and was delayed so I ended up finding out the goals before the commentary anyway. The bias towards Fulham I'm sure is good value for most of you but I found it a bit repetitive.

All in all I was very surprised as I have been given the impression it was brilliant and very popular. Its nice of the club to do this and he's obviously a loved character because he's done it for so long but it's not for me. I don't expect anyone to agree but I couldn't care less that I'm alone on this.

Almost as disappointing as the result and I wont be doing it again. Talksport or Gillette Soccer Saturday in future if I cant go away from home.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

robert

Found it excellent today with no cut offs and I was listening in Russia.Further,for many years here I only had the Gent and when we did get live pictures I still liked the Gent better until I got used to seeing us live.Now I miss the live of course but have Jim again.However,will be pleased when we are back in the Prem but Jim will always be a great commentator for me.

fulhamben

its normally quite entertaining, more so than being at most games.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

dannyboi-ffc

I know how popular he is so I don't expect anyone to agree, its just not for me. And it cut out every 3/4 minutes for a few seconds which was irritating especially when it sounded like something was about to happen.

Like I said I had Gillette soccer Saturday on in the background and I found out all 3 goals from that before the commentary. It seemed a waste of time but I suppose others who cant go to many games are more used to it.

To be fair I cant stand radio commentary full stop so its not an attack on G Jim. I just found it boring.
You cant beat being at the game

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

fulhamben

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 31, 2015, 05:32:59 PM
I know how popular he is so I don't expect anyone to agree, its just not for me. And it cut out every 3/4 minutes for a few seconds which was irritating especially when it sounded like something was about to happen.

Like I said I had Gillette soccer Saturday on in the background and I found out all 3 goals from that before the commentary. It seemed a waste of time but I suppose others who cant go to many games are more used to it.

To be fair I cant stand radio commentary full stop so its not an attack on G Jim. I just found it boring
what device was you on mate. quite a few have the drop outs. my ipad seems to be pretty stable

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: fulhamben on January 31, 2015, 05:34:17 PM

To be fair I cant stand radio commentary full stop so its not an attack on G Jim. I just found it boring
what device was you on mate. quite a few have the drop outs. my ipad seems to be pretty stable

Laptop. Internet connection was good, maybe I was just unlucky today

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

grandad

The quality was the best today than any previous.
GJ is a legend. To us abroad he is our lifeline. So he is a bit biased. Is not your best mate you are sat next to any less biased.
How can anyone be bored with listening to him. It takes a genius to make some of our matches seem exciting.
Long live Jim.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Luffy86

I must admit.. GJ is not the greatest of commentators!!
And I'm not trying to run him down!!
Just never seems to be too much excitement in the commentary...
Just my opinion!

fulhamben

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 31, 2015, 05:38:30 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on January 31, 2015, 05:34:17 PM

Laptop. Internet connection was good, maybe I was just unlucky today
i switched from laptop as i found it drops quite often. if you do try again and you have an ipad or iphone i would recommend that

Putney

Found that the connection has been a lot better recently.

Twig

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on January 31, 2015, 05:03:42 PM
When we were in the premier league I never had to listen to it, I go to every home game and away games I was either there or I streamed it instead. This season I've found myself busy when were away and just follow the scores since there's no streams available.

So today was the very first time ever I've listened to Gentleman Jim and I have to say I found it unbelievably boring, it kept cutting out and was delayed so I ended up finding out the goals before the commentary anyway. The bias towards Fulham I'm sure is good value for most of you but I found it a bit repetitive.

All in all I was very surprised as I have been given the impression it was brilliant and very popular. Its nice of the club to do this and he's obviously a loved character because he's done it for so long but it's not for me. I don't expect anyone to agree but I couldn't care less that I'm alone on this.

Almost as disappointing as the result and I wont be doing it again. Talksport or Gillette Soccer Saturday in future if I cant go away from home.

Sorry but I had no problems listening and no cutting out.

colinwhite

Jim is a legend , Danny. He is pure Fulham . Has been since the late sixties and a great guy . Met him before one of our games outside the ground, a couple of seasons ago . He was on his way in but when I went over and talked to him he was a pure gent , and glad to chat . He is worth his weight in gold  , and Ive been listening to him most weeks for the the last 15 or 16 years . I always listen to jim even when our games are live on Tv . It reminds me of who I am after 30 years of living in Sweden . When I first came here i couldn't even get our results in the sunday morning paper !

cmg

I'm with Danny on this one.
I only get to hear his commentary when it's on the video replay, but, although I admire his enthusiasm and obvious love for the club, I find it somewhat amateurish and the bias rather misleading. It's rather like sitting beside an over-talkative and rather one-eyed supporter, which is one of the reasons I always have preferred terraces, at least you can shift your position!

dannyboi-ffc

Right I want to reply to most things here because you've all made the effort to reply so I feel it's only right I do the same.

Thanks Ben, if ever I do listen again I'll try my daughters I pad instead.

Grandad I wasn't denying he is a legend, I realise his work for the club is important to those of you that cant go, whether that be down to geography or finances.  So of course you will appreciate him more because you need him. Where as my legend is Diddy Hamilton because that's the voice I know and love. I live in London so I've never needed G Jim ' s services before.

Colin again I wasn't saying he isn't a nice guy and my attack wasn't directly at him. It kept cutting out which was half the problem so it was the service in general but I didn't think his commentary was that good if I'm honest. He is no doubt a great bloke and his love for Fulham is clear to hear, he is what his title is, a gentleman.

Luffy and CMG I'm glad I'm not alone. Half the time I didn't have a clue what was going on, he kept talking over himself to shout at the ref or constantly say they were diving. At first I found it funny but it got boring after a while especially when we were losing and I actually wanted to know how we were playing. What did it for me was calling Hanley a Sunday league footballer for being physical, I understand he's Fulham through and through and it's probably something I would say in the stands but it just seemed odd hearing a commentator say it. Again maybe I'm just not used to it.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

PaulJ123

I've used him a few times this season when I haven't been to the game due to the lack of streams and I don't think anyone can say hes a great commentator. I had no idea what was going on when I listened to the Forest game the other week apart from if someone scored.

That said, he can be reasonably entertaining at times but you've just gotta take it like that and not as a serious commentary. If anyone was to listen to me when I'm watching a Fulham game, I don't think I've agreed with a referee ever when a decision goes against us and its the same with GJ.

love4ffc

So I find depending on what device I listen it is steady verse cutting out.  I have more success with my laptop followed by my ipad.  My smart phone gets the worst connection.  As for GJ.  if it weren't for him I would have no clue on game day as to FFC, goalie kit fashions or ref quality.   

TGFGJ  - Thank God for Gentleman Jim
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?