more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (12/02/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 11, 2015, 05:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bolton (a) - Kit`s Verdict

For those few who chose to trek the fair distance from West London to Bolton, last night wasn`t the best of nights.

After taking the lead, against Bolton Wanderers, things kind of fell apart from the 44th minute on and we were once again left to debate where it all went wrong.

Talk of promotion is fast diminishing and, instead, the fear is there that we may, unless our results improve, get sucked back into the relegation fight.

After the defeat our manager, Kit Symons, was a little perplexed as to why it had, from being so good, gone to being so bad, remarking to the media,

"In the first half I thought we played some really good stuff and we were far the better team.

"We should have come in leading quite comfortably but then concede a poor goal.

"Even then, if we approach the second half in the same manner we would be fine. But we just sat off them for some reason,

"We looked nervous on the ball, couldn`t keep possession and when we did win it on the edge of our box we just kicked it rather than passing it out and we never got going."

That`s kind of the story of our season, that last line, is it not?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=388296#ixzz3RSQE7dzd

WhiteJC

Fulham players ignored half-time instructions at Bolton

Kit Symons manager says team let their foot off the gas at the Macron

Angry Fulham manager Kit Symons says his players ignored his half-time instructions at Bolton Wanderers last night.

The Whites had taken the lead at the Macron Stadium through Shaun Hutchinson but Eidur Gudjohnsen grabbed a crucial equaliser just before the break.

That goal sparked a Trotters revival in the second period in Lancashire as the Cottagers took their foot off the gas and Bolton scored twice in the last 10 minutes to steal the points .

Symons had drilled into his players the importance of maintaining their positivity during the interval but saw his plans go out the window on Tuesday evening.

He said: "First half I thought we played some really good stuff and we were by far and away the better team. We should have come in leading quite comfortably but conceded a poor goal from our point of view.

"But even then if we go out and approach the second half in the same manner we're going to be fine, but we just sat off them for some reason. Everything that was said [at half-time] was more of the same, get up against them, keep running beyond and causing them problems, and we never did it.

"We suddenly looked nervous on the ball, couldn't keep possession. When we did win it in and around the edge of our box we were just sort of kicking it rather than passing it out, and we just never got going at all."

Gudjohnsen struck right on the stroke of half time at the Macron and that goal appeared to be the moment the game turned on its head.

However, Symons insisted that didn't need to be the case and his Whites could still have gone on to win it had they kept up their intensity from the first period.

He added: "If we'd have played in the same manner in the second half it would've been fine.

"I think the second goal was a turning point. The ball's not quite running for us at the moment – we're breaking and the ball hits the referee to come back for them and even then we've got a lot of bodies back behind the ball and the second goal shouldn't have been conceded but these little things are going against us at the moment.

"But I couldn't really see us scoring anyway – we didn't have a shot on target in the second half, whereas we'd had a lot of efforts in the first half."

Fulham return to action at the Cottage on Saturday when Ipswich come to town for a Valentine's Day clash.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/fulham-players-ignored-half-time-instructions-8620845?

WhiteJC

Ruiz not heading to Levante

Bryan Ruiz will remain at Fulham and not play on loan at Levante after the Spanish club saw their appeal to have the player's transfer granted finally turned down.

The 29-year-old forward 's planned six-month loan move to the Valencian outfit was scuppered with the paperwork received one minute after the transfer deadline on January 30.

"We have to accept and respect FIFA's decision but I still don't understand it," Levante president Francisco Catalan told his club's official website. "However, we will not appeal any further.

"FIFA simply state that the paperwork was received after the deadline and that one minute after midnight was already late.

"We are frustrated and disappointed."

Catalan revealed that Levante had been working with Fulham on completing the deal since January 21.

"The delay was from Fulham's end because the player wanted to come," he said. "They (Fulham) didn't realise the (Spanish) transfer deadline ended on Friday (January 30) and not on Monday (February 2).

"If there was a one minute delay it's because the paperwork didn't get there in time.

"Levante's only fault was to try until the end in order to bring a good player to Levante.

"Fulham considered Bryan an important player.

"The player's behaviour has been excellent.

"For Bryan, it was a dream come true to play in Spain."

Ruiz, who captained Costa Rica to reach the quarter-finals of the World Cup in Brazil last year, has scored four goals and set up two more in 17 Championship games for Fulham this season.

Levante are fighting to defend their top flight status this season and are 18th in La Liga, one point adrift of safety.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/165/9709937/-?

WhiteJC

Bryan Ruiz: Fulham forward's loan switch to Levante falls through

Forward Bryan Ruiz will remain at Fulham after his proposed loan switch to Spanish side Levante fell through.

The Championship club said they had completed the necessary paperwork with Levante before the Spanish transfer window closed on Friday, 30 January.

However, governing body Fifa have not approved the 29-year-old's move.

"It's obviously very disappointing for the player and Levante. It's a situation that we can unfortunately do nothing about," said boss Kit Symons.

Costa Rica international Ruiz was set to join the La Liga side until the end of the season.

Ruiz, who joined the Whites for £10.6m from FC Twente in 2011, is out of contract at Craven Cottage in the summer.

He has scored five goals in 20 appearances for Fulham this season and Symons will now look to reintegrate him into the side.

"I'll speak to Bryan and would obviously like to have him back playing for us as soon as possible," said the Welshman.

"It's a tough knock for him but he's a great character and loves his football, so I know he'll just want to get on and play."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31130798

WhiteJC

Ruiz-Levante deal collapses

Levante President Francisco Catalan has accused Fulham of incompetence following FIFA's decision to block Bryan Ruiz's transfer to the Valencians.

Les Granotes announced on January 30 that they had struck a deal to land the Costa Rica captain on loan until the end of the season, subject to international clearance.

However, FIFA refused to sanction the move on the grounds that the paperwork was filed after midnight of January 31, with Fulham believing the deadline was on February 2.

Levante's subsequent appeal was rejected by the international governing body, leading Catalan to suspect that the Championship club deliberately managed their time poorly.

"Blame Levante for fighting until the last minute [to sign Ruiz]," the supremo was quoted as saying by Marca to reporters on Tuesday.

"Fulham didn't realise that the deadline was Friday because they thought it was Monday.

"We must abide by and respect the decision of FIFA, but I just don't understand it, although the rules are well established. I have little else to say.

"There's little or no argument from us. Basically we didn't adhere to the deadline and 00:01 [on January 31] was too late.

"It's nothing we didn't know already, but there's the feeling of powerlessness and misunderstanding, though we respect the logic [of the decision].

"Money wasn't a problem, I wish it was one. Fulham regarded Bryan as a key player. If there's a delay of one minute, it's because the documentation wasn't submitted in time.

"The player's conduct has been excellent, for him it was a dream to play in Spain.

"The transfer was going ahead in the evening [of deadline day] when the player requested the move, but the paperwork didn't arrive in a timely manner.

"Neither do I want nor can I think about [the idea that Fulham deliberately sabotaged the move]. It wouldn't be fair to the player or Levante.

"I'd be doing a disservice to football. [Fulham] didn't manage their time well."

http://www.football-espana.net/48547/ruiz-levante-deal-collapses?

WhiteJC

More Fulham Tickets Allocated For Derby Fans

Tickets for Derby County's away game at Fulham at the end of February are now available on General Sale - with more tickets made available.

Derby will travel to Craven Cottage on Saturday 28th February 2015 (3pm).

Tickets were previously on sale to Away Members and Season Ticket Holders.

Derby's initial allocation of 2,900 tickets sold out but a further 1,000 seats have been allocated for away supporters.

Ticket Prices - Standard Tickets

£25 Adults
£20 Senior Citizens
£20 Under 21s
£15 Under 16s

Ticket Prices - Restricted View

£23 Adults
£18 Senior Citizens
£18 Under 21s
£13 Under 16s

Supporters can buy their tickets in person at the Unite the Union Ticket Office at the iPro Stadium, by calling 0871 472 1884 (option 1) or by logging on to www.WeAreDerby.com.

To become a Membership Holder for the 2014/15 campaign and ensure you're in line to purchase away tickets first, visit www.WeAreDerby.com.

For more ticket and travel information, head to the Away Tickets section of dcfc.co.uk by following this link: http://www.dcfc.co.uk/tickets/away_tickets.aspx.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/fulham-tickets-now-available-on-general-sale-2252112.aspx#Jt00Zyo4cvQHDqjB.99

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: Why Symons' lack of a plan B is holding Fulham back

Same routine, same result. The 4-4-2 Diamond really has run its course and simply has to change.

Yes, it worked at the start of Kit's reign but now it's too ineffective at this level and if he wants to become a good manager, he has to be able to have a plan B.

I understand if we failed to have any wingers or any pace in our squad which forced us into this situation, but we have options in: Alexander Kacaniklic, Patrick Roberts and George Williams despite the latter being very young. We weren't good at all last night at Bolton, and no offence to Bolton players who played but some were only starting because the amount of injuries they had. Furthermore, it shows how much we miss Bryan Ruiz when he's not playing in our side.

Whilst, Kacaniklic can play behind the forwards, his game is completely different Bryan's who has the ability to remain calm under pressure and release the killer ball. I suppose that's one positive for the weekend, his deal to Levante looks like it's collapsed and he could return to the starting eleven against Ipswich.

Let's not remember we beat Bolton 4-0 at home and that was the game Ruiz took Jay Spearing back to school. The players have remained, but just a change in manager and it shows how good Neil Lennon is. The same guy, I ever so desperately wanted to take over from Felix Magath. He's won many trophies, managed in the Champions League and he gets the best out of players and if I'm truly honest he should be managing a better club than Bolton, and he should be a Premier League manager.

Fulham on the other hand, have struggled despite more points than Felix, Kit has so much to learn about his squad, tactics and the game in general and his inexperience is starting to show. Maybe, we will be getting a new manager in the summer and Kit is the cheap option for the remaining games. But, whilst I do like Kit as a player and a coach, it seems he could be a little out of his depth. I want him to be a success because of his ties with the club and how much he loves Fulham, but the way we are losing leads, and the persistence to the diamond really is grinding my gears.

Against Ipswich, I'd like to see the return of Dan Burn back to the side and a 4-4-1-1 system introduced. My preferred 11 would be:

GK: Bettinelli

LB: Staflyidis

CB's: Dan Burn & Hutchinson (Try something new)

RB: Bodurov, if Hoogland isn't fit.

LM: Kacaniklic

CM: Parker And LVC. (If fit, if not: Fofana and Tunnicliffe)

RM: Williams or Roberts

CAM: Bryan Ruiz

ST: Ross McCormack

If, for some reason Bryan doesn't play, then Ross McCormack can play behind Hugo Rodallega in the same system.

The added wingers would provide more protection for the full backs and would add another dimension to our attacks. Whilst moving Bodurov to right back may seem unfair, an English pairing at the back would seem like a good combination on paper and with Dan Burn eager to return to the starting eleven, I think it's only right he plays.

Roberts or Williams would provide the raw energy and the young confidence to beat a man and make things happen. Just look at what Demarai Gray is doing at Birmingham, his raw talent is causing havoc for defenders and there's no reason why Pat or George can't do the same.

If Scott Parker is fit, then I would without doubt give him the first 60 minutes to lead the side and control things in a game which will be incredibly tough. Having Lasse Vigen Christensen alongside the captain, would help provide a creative spark and outlet for the side.

What is clear, is that something has got to change because we are struggling and sadly we can't sugar coat things anymore. We are still at risk of relegation and with a tough set of fixtures ahead, Kit Symons job is kinda on the line. He needs to prove he has what it takes at this level and accept he's made a mistake with formation and time to try new ideas to get the squad firing again.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/the_craven_corner_why_symons_lack_of_a_plan_b_is_holding_fulham_back_1_3952043

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up

Matt Smith scored his 12th goal in 16 Bristol City games as they defeated Port Vale 3-1 at Ashton Gate in Sky Bet League One on Tuesday evening.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas put the Robins in front on 34 minutes when he crashed in an effort via the underside of the crossbar from outside the area, before Joe Bryan's deflected strike just before the hour mark doubled the advantage.

Smith then got in on the act midway through the second half when he slotted home following a poor back-pass, and Mark Marshall grabbed a consolation for the visitors 10 minutes later. Smith was then substituted with four minutes remaining.

The result saw Bristol City extend their lead at the top of the table to four points, following Swindon Town's 2-1 defeat away to Oldham Athletic.

Elsewhere in League One, Stephen Arthurworrey played the entirety of Yeovil Town's 1-0 defeat at Crewe Alexandra.

On-loan Nicky Ajose scored the game's only goal on 38 minutes to leave the Glovers sitting in 22nd spot in the standings.

In League Two, Josh Passley helped Portsmouth to a 0-0 draw away to Dagenham & Redbridge.

It could have been even better for the right wing-back but his deflected strike late on was saved by Mark Cousins.

But the result means Pompey have now kept a clean sheet in each of the three games that Passley has played for them, as they remain in 16th position in the table.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/11/loan-round-up?

WhiteJC

LVC: Not Good Enough

Lasse Vigen Christensen was at a loss to explain why Fulham's second-half performance failed to live up to the standards of the first against Bolton Wanderers on Tuesday.

The Whites had taken a deserved lead at the Macron Stadium through Shaun Hutchinson's powerful strike, but after Eidur Gudjohnsen equalised a minute before half-time, Wanderers bossed the second 45 to claim a 3-1 win.

"It's hard to say what went wrong," Christensen told fulhamfc.com. "It's not the first time we've come away from a game feeling like we've done really well in the first half, or at least one of the halves, and then still haven't come away with anything. So it's hard to say what it is but it's something we need to do better.

"We showed for the first 45 minutes that we can play really good football, create chances and dominate the game, but then the second half we came out and just didn't get anything going and didn't really show up.

"It's something we need to look at, we need to look at what happens when we do have those bad periods and what we can do to get out of them. But, for sure, it's a problem for us.

"I think we played really well in the first half and probably should have been up a few goals more than what we were, but if you don't take your chances you always give them a quick way back into the game, as we saw when they scored a goal from nothing really.

"That's football, that's the beauty of it really, that a team that's not doing well can come back into it so quickly, but for us at the moment it's a big problem that we can't seem to put away games to bed and be very comfortable, which we should be."

While there's no denying Bolton were the better team after the restart, they did enjoy an element of fortune for their decisive second goal.

Christensen looked to lead a charge out of defence with 10 minutes remaining, but the ball hit the referee, allowing Josh Vela to steal possession and set up Saidy Janko to make it 2-1.

It was an incident that irked the Danish midfielder and he let the referee know his feelings on the matter.

He explained: "In the heat of the moment I wasn't very happy with his position, but it's one of those things where everyone makes mistakes and maybe I could have done something differently in that situation, but as it happens I was quite frustrated with him getting in the way as it led to their goal.

"It's just one of those things that when things aren't going your way, stuff like that just seems to happen. It's unfortunate but we didn't play well in the second half so you can't just blame it on one thing like that, but at the time I was quite frustrated."

It was a long journey home for the several hundred Fulham fans who made the trip, and Christensen was apologetic that they left the Macron Stadium empty handed.

"It's obviously very frustrating for them as well," he said. "It was nice of them to come and support us and it was just very frustrating for us that we couldn't give them a result.

"I think the way the game happened we were all a bit frustrated towards the end, but it was nice of them to come up and give us their support. We're just not very happy that we couldn't give them anything to cheer about."

Kit Symons echoed the view that his side's performance after the interval wasn't up to scratch, and Christensen admitted his Manager had every right to be unhappy.

He stated: "We all know that it wasn't good enough and Kit said what he needed to say, and he had every right to be disappointed and feel like we hadn't done enough.

"Things that needed to be said were said. I think we're all aware that it wasn't good enough and every player now needs to look at themselves, and we need to look at ourselves as a team and make sure that this doesn't keep happening.

"We've got to come out and do well for 90 minutes and not just for 45 minutes or an hour, because that doesn't seem to be enough for us at the moment so it's something that we definitely need to address, and I'm sure we will."

The first opportunity to put things right is just a matter of days away when Ipswich Town are the visitors to Craven Cottage.

The Tractor Boys are still well in contention for an automatic promotion spot, and so Christensen knows his team will need a vastly improved performance over the 90 minutes to come away with a result.

"We all know that we have to come out and match their work ethic because they're a team that works really hard and plays quite physical," he explained.

"We're going to have to try and match them in that and still play our football and play the way we want to play. If we do that I think we'll have a very good chance of getting a win."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/11/lvc-not-good-enough?

WhiteJC

Aussie trailblazer confirmed as Fulham U21 coach

Australian Scott Miller has been confirmed as coach of Fulham's Under-21s side.

Former Under-21 coach Kit Symons was placed as caretaker manager at Fulham in September, following the dismissal of Felix Magath, and on October 29 was announced as the new full time first team boss.

Miller, who has spent eight years at the English Championship club, was previously an assistant coach to the first team and has worked under Magath, Roy Hodgson, Mark Hughes and Martin Jol.

The Melburnian told FourFourTwo he is enjoying his new position.

"The role is providing me with a new challenge, a different dynamic, with the focus being on player development and performance," said Miller who is coaching the side alongside former Celtic midfielder Peter Grant.

"I believe it's a vital stage in my own coaching development, as I have only ever worked at first-team level. I see it as a learning opportunity, many current managers have coached at U21 level, it's at this point you are afforded time to develop your on style of coaching.

"However more importantly, the position gives you not only the opportunity to develop players on field, however to have a positive influence off field also, in regards to respect for their position within football and discipline. I'm enjoying the close link I have with the players and the mentoring perspective.

"Naturally, you want to work at the top level, and being ambitious that being at first-team level. However, I quickly established that this coaching pathway is of great benefit in the long term. It would have been easy to move, however Fulham FC have invested in my coach education and I respect their support."

With the Cottagers' Under-21s Miller has the likes of Australians Adam Taggart and Ryan Williams in his squad. Fulham's Olyroo defender Cameron Burgess is currently on loan at Scottish club Ross County.

"The aim is to develop young players technically and tactically, ensuring they have a high level of game understanding and an awareness of differing systems of play," he said.

"These young players next step is first-team football, it's a huge jump in responsibility and pressure."

Under Miller Fulham's Under-21s have registered three wins, one draw and six losses. Socceroo Taggart has been on fire of late, scoring three goals in his past three games.

"The biggest challenge with the U21 squad is it's utilised in support of the first-team, this occasionally affects team selection and overall performance as you may have to play first-team players returning from injury," he said.

"The results have been mixed, overall individual performances have improved upon review of technical reports. This is encouraging, we are putting first-team expectation and pressure on these young players to play a certain system and style of football."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/aussie-trailblazer-confirmed-fulham-u21-coach#KhyC96u3Qw5jWk76.99

WhiteJC

Disappointment for Ruiz

It would appear that Bryan Ruiz will be remaining a Fulham for the foreseeable future.

The Costa Rican had looked as if he was set to move to Levante on a loan deal but there was a bit of a kerfuffle over the deal.

FIFA had suggested that Fulham had failed to fulfil the necessary requirements before the deadline.

Ruiz had appealed but his words have obviously fallen on deaf ears with it being confirmed that they have not approved the move.

Bad luck for Ruiz but good luck for Fulham.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=388377#ixzz3RVEqu2Mt

WhiteJC

Bradley, McBride Enter U.S. Soccer Hall of Fame Saturday
Tandem joins Women's National Team great Kristine Lilly in induction class

CHICAGO (February 11, 2015)—Two distinguished alumni of the Chicago Fire Soccer Club -- inaugural head coach Bob Bradley and forward Brian McBride -- are set to be honored Saturday (February 14) when they are formally inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame. Bradley and McBride join U.S. Women's National Team legend Kristine Lilly in the Hall of Fame's 2014 induction class.

The ceremony will be held Saturday evening in conjunction with the U.S. Soccer Annual General Meeting in San Francisco.

Bradley led the Fire into its memorable expansion season of 1998 when the club captured both the MLS Cup and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. He went on to add a second U.S. Open Cup to the Fire's trophy case in 2000, the same year in which he led the squad back to the MLS Cup final.

After further MLS stints at the helm of the MetroStars and Chivas USA, Bradley assumed the leading role with the U.S. Men's National Team, coaching the side in the 2006 FIFA World Cup and, four years later, leading his squad into the knockout stages of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. He then embarked on a quest to lead the Egyptian National Team to the 2014 event, ultimately falling just short in the qualifying stages.

Bradley, a 2007 inductee to the club's Ring of Fire, now plies his trade with Norwegian side Stabaek, whom the Chicago Fire will face on Sunday, Feb. 22, in a preseason friendly at the Simple Invitational in Portland.

McBride closed his world-class playing career with two-and-a-half seasons in the kit of his hometown Fire, scoring 18 goals in 59 matches between 2008 and 2010. McBride helped launch Major League Soccer with eight stellar seasons playing for the Columbus Crew (1996-2003) before signing with Fulham FC in 2004. He went on to become a prolific scorer and fan favorite at Craven Cottage and captained the side in 2007.

Internationally, McBride was a lethal striker for the U.S. Men's National Team -- scoring 30 goals in 95 appearances -- and in 2013 was named to U.S. Soccer's All-Time Best XI. He also owns the distinction of being the first American to score goals in multiple World Cups (1998, 2002).

For more on the career achievements of Bradley, McBride and Kristine Lilly, visit USSoccer.com.

http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2015/02/bradley-mcbride-enter-us-soccer-hall-fame-saturday?