Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (13/02/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 12, 2015, 06:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham defender reveals secret of his success

Shaun is back from the dead thanks to Whites boss

Eyes on the prize: Hutchinson
By his own admission Shaun Hutchinson had a wretched start to his Fulham career.

Adrift without a rudder on opening day at Ipswich in August, and sent off in his first game under new boss Kit Symons, the only way was up for the Geordie signed from Motherwell in the close season.

But the central defender's salvation owed much to Symons' central defender's slot as a player - the same as the 24-year-old's.

Advice, pointers and the right coaching sees Hutchinson ever present for the last 14 matches - including a consolation goal in the 3-1 defeat at Bolton on Tuesday night.

Now he has a chance to put right a poor debut for the return match against Ipswich on Saturday at the Cottage.

"I didn't really help myself to be honest at the beginning," he admitted.

"Anybody coming into a new club takes a little while to adapt. But I just kept my head down and worked hard. Kit showed belief in us, and I hope I'm repaying him."

Action Images / Paul Currie
Goal: Hutchinson scores against Bolton

Two minutes into the second half against Blackburn In September, Hutchinson was giving his marching orders, and Symons was left suffering a 1-0 home reverse on his manager's debut.

But what goes around comes around, and when fellow Geordie, Dan Burn, suffered a nightmare in the 5-0 home defeat to Watford at the beginning of December, Hutchinson got a second chance.

"In my first game I got sent off," he said. "I apologised to Kit for letting the team and him down. And when the good times you'll appreciate them more. I've been patient, even though it's not nice on the bench."

Red for stop: Blackburn Rover's Lee Williamson receives treatment after tackle from Hutchinson (C) who is sent off
The defender admits he's upped his game because Symons has been there, done that and now uses the T-shirt to wipe the blackboard littered with playing pointers.

Hutchinson explained: "On the Friday we do quite a lot of defensive work.

"I've learned a lot, and stuff I didn't know before, and he concentrates a little bit more on the defensive side. He doesn't really get on your case, but he gives you tips."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-defender-reveals-secret-success-8624485?

WhiteJC

Pompey must keep Passley

Tuesday's goalless draw away at Dagenham saw Pompey collect their third straight clean sheet, as Andy Awford stuck with a 3-5-2 formation that saw us collect positive results away at Wycombe and at home to Hartlepool.

Those shut-outs have been helped in no small part by the loan acquisition of Josh Passley from Fulham. He is a player who possesses good recovery pace, the energy to get up and down the right flank and is someone who looks comfortable on the ball in both defensive and attacking areas.

In short, he has all the attributes to play at either right back, or right wing-back and I am desperate to see his month-long youth loan extended when it expires at the end of February.

Passley spent just over a month at Shrewsbury earlier this season and his run in the Shrews' starting XI coincided with Micky Mellon's side keeping five consecutive clean sheets in the league, so he has clearly made positive impacts at this level.

What it has done though, is reinforce that Pompey have a dearth of genuine options in the right back area. Before Passley came in, there were a number of applicants for the position, but the majority have been square pegs in round holes. Adam Webster, Joe Devera and Alex Wynter were all tried there, with each of them seeming to prefer playing in the centre of defence.

Unfortunately Webster was exposed too regularly and looked a clear weak link at times, while there were minimal protests when Wynter returned to parent club Crystal Palace. Devera's versatility is useful and he would be the best option should Passley depart, but I'd much prefer to see him in the middle if possible.

When we played with wing-backs earlier in the season, more attack-minded players such as Jed Wallace and Ricky Holmes were asked to do a job out there, but the defensive responsibilities that come with the role didn't really suit either of them and limited their attacking contributions.

If Passley's deal can be extended, I wouldn't mind seeing us stick with 3-5-2. It allows us to play any of Devera, Paul Robinson, Jack Whatmaugh, Ben Chorley and Johnny Ertl in the three central positions that the five of them are vying for.

With three central midfield sports also available, it allows Wallace the opportunity to play off the strikers and although his performance at Victoria Road was extremely disappointing, I think he can flourish there with Dunne and Hollands sitting behind him, in front of the defence.

However, should Passley's stay end after just the one month, we do not have the personnel to make 3-5-2 work and would definitely need to revert to a flat back four.

I was very much against Andy Awford's chopping and changing of both formation and line-up in the early stages of the season, but without any other players in the squad who can be competent at right wing-back we would have no option other than to switch system again.

Although I was hugely disappointed at Dagenham that our bench seemed happy to play out a stalemate against a team we could have beaten had we shown a bit more drive going forward, the defensive solidity is pleasing. I'm just hoping there are no more unnecessary changes to the defence, and for the time Passley is with us, we look balanced at the back.

http://www.shoot.co.uk/category/team/pompey-must-keep-passley/

WhiteJC

Hoogland Keen To Return

Tim Hoogland has spoken of his enthusiasm to get back to playing again for the First Team after returning from three months out injured.

"I'm feeling really good," Hoogland told fulhamfc.com after playing for 60 minutes in an Under-21s friendly on Wednesday afternoon against Tottenham Hotspur in a game focused on providing our injured players with some match time.

"The last few weeks I've been back in full training and these 60 minutes were really good. I felt I could play 70 or 80 minutes but we don't want to risk anything," said Hoogland.

"It has been quite a long time for me and a sad time not playing with the team and not being able to help them out. I got my fitness with the Under-21s. It was a good game from my side and I hope to play very soon."

First Team Manager Kit Symons was at Spurs' Training Centre keeping a close eye on the German's return from injury.

"He certainly looked pretty good," said Symons following Hoogland's performance in which he made a strong impact, having a shot cleared off the line within the first 10 minutes. 

"He's progressing well. We're pleased with the way he's doing. Obviously he's been out a long time so it's good that he's upping his game time. He looked quite strong at the end of his 60 minutes so that was very pleasing."

Whilst Symons is looking forward to the return of the right-back, he's making sure not to rush his comeback. 

"He's been out so long we're conscious that we can't rush him back. It's got to be done properly and make sure he's at the right level before he's back involved," Symons stated.

"He brings obviously good experience which is something we're quite light on with such a young team. He's got good quality on the ball as well."

Hoogland has been sidelined since 28th October and explained: "It was hard because it wasn't an injury from a foul or anything like that. It was a stress overload from my pubic bone and a few weeks later we saw that I had a hernia on both sides. I had the operation at the end of December.

"At the beginning I thought I was going to be out for two weeks or something like that. But then it was months. It was really hard, but my wife and son made it a little bit better for me."

Watching from the sidelines hasn't been easy for Hoogland, who continued: "It has been an up and down few months. I think when Kit came we played very well, but then the last weeks were very hard and we didn't get the points we would like to have. It's always difficult when you have a young squad like our team. But we see very good things in our play and we have to work more and hope we win the next few games."

Despite a 3-1 loss to Tottenham, Hoogland's performance was notable and his addition to the First Team will be very welcome.

"I think my experience and my mentality are good things for the team and I hope I can push the younger lads," he added: "I think that's my work for the next weeks."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/12/hoogland-keen-for-return?

WhiteJC

Levante chief critical of Fulham after Luiz loan deal blocked by FIFA

Levante president Francisco Catalan says Fulham should have acted more professionally after FIFA blocked Bryan Ruiz's move.

Ruiz had agreed a loan move to the La Liga club until the end of the season but the paperwork was filed after the deadline closed in Spain and world football's governing body refused to sanction the deal.

Levante appealed against the decision but, after reviewing the situation, FIFA ruled the move could not go through.

That has angered the Spanish club and Catalan says he feels Fulham could have handled the situation a lot better.

Catalan, speaking in Spanish newspaper Marca, said: "The transfer was going ahead in the evening (of deadline day) when the player requested the move but the paperwork didn't arrive in a timely manner.

"Neither do I want nor can I think about (the idea that Fulham deliberately sabotaged the move). It wouldn't be fair to the player or Levante. I'd be doing a disservice to football. [Fulham] didn't manage their time well.

"Fulham didn't realise that the deadline was Friday because they thought it was Monday.

"We must abide by and respect the decision of FIFA, but I just don't understand it, although the rules are well established. I have little else to say.

"There's little or no argument from us. Basically we didn't adhere to the deadline and 00:01 [on January 31] was too late.

"It's nothing we didn't know already, but there's the feeling of powerlessness and misunderstanding, though we respect the logic [of the decision].

"Money wasn't a problem, I wish it was one. Fulham regarded Bryan as a key player. If there's a delay of one minute, it's because the documentation wasn't submitted in time. The player's conduct has been excellent, for him it was a dream to play in Spain."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/levante-chief-critical-fulham-after-luiz-loan-deal-blocked-fifa-150212136137#jZMktuPmFAzHLAjR.99

WhiteJC

McGoldrick Expected Back for Fulham Trip

Town boss Mick McCarthy says he expects striker David McGoldrick to be available for Saturday's trip to Fulham.

McGoldrick missed the 2-1 home victory over Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday having picked up a thigh problem at Rotherham last week.

"I'm hoping he'll be available for the weekend and then if that's the case we'll be back to nearly everybody being right," McCarthy said.

"There's only Luke Hyam and he has a long-term injury so he was always going to be a while.

"It'll be great to have Didz back, you miss your best players and he's been one of our best players."

Hyam suffered a medial ligament injury in the FA Cup replay against Southampton and was expected to be sidelined for around six weeks.

McCarthy confirmed that recently signed winger Dylan Connolly, 19, will travel with the senior squad for the first time.

The Blues boss also dismissed this morning's tabloid claim that he was interested in signing Leeds midfielder Rodolph Austin on loan with a view to a permanent deal.

Asked whether there was any truth in the report, he said: "No, he's a good player, but no."

McCarthy says no moves in or out are currently on the cards: "There's nobody going out on loan. I've not had any discussions about that and there's nobody imminently moving in either."

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/26811/?

WhiteJC

Ipswich Town set to be backed by biggest away following in league for over a decade, at Fulham

Promotion-chasing Ipswich Town are set to be backed by their biggest away following in the league for more than a decade, in the crunch Championship clash at Fulham on Saturday.

About 4,000 supporters will make the short trip to Craven Cottage – around 100 tickets remained yesterday – buoyed by fourth-placed Town's return to form on Tuesday, Mick McCarthy's men impressing in the 2-1 home win over Sheffield Wednesday.

The Blues faithful have already turned out in force on several occasions this season, including at Rotherham, Nottingham Forest and Derby, while 5,550 watched the Blues' FA Cup draw at Southampton last month.

Last season, the Blues took 2,550 fans to Reading, almost surpassing the 2,572 that travelled to Newcastle in 2010, but Saturday's number will be the largest in the league since January 2005, when 4,310 attended a 1-1 draw at Reading.

That is despite the predicted disruption on the rail network this weekend with most of the line to London being closed at weekends, buses replacing trains between Manningtree and Shenfield until March 22.

Steve Doe, treasurer of the official Ipswich Town Supporters' Club, said: "There was only 17,000 at Portman Road against Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night and a lot of people who went to the (home games) against Southampton and Derby after Christmas have probably said 'we're not coming back'.

"The travelling support has always been very good and we took 1,800 to Rotherham on Saturday which was a new ground to visit.

"I suspect a lot of fans won't have been to Craven Cottage either (Town have only played there three times in 41 years) and it promises to be a good atmosphere.

"The proportion of fans that go to away games who go in good voice and are generally fairly lively, is quite high.

"After four or five lean years, there is definitely a good feeling among fans at the moment."

Among the travelling fans will be a group of supporters making their way to the game on a boat down the River Thames.

Supporters' Club chairman Liz Edwards added: "To have 4,000 fans defying travel disruptions, including a group sailing down the Thames, is fantastic.

"What a great chance for us all to get behind the team and keep the dream very much alive."

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/latest-news/ipswich_town_set_to_be_backed_by_biggest_away_following_in_league_for_over_a_decade_at_fulham_1_3953341?usurv=skip

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham vs. Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town travel to Craven Cottage on Saturday looking to reestablish themselves among the frontrunners for an automatic promotion place in the Championship.

The Tractor Boys breathed new life into their bid for a return to the Premier League with a 2-1 victory over Sheffield Wednesday in midweek, a result that will go down as one of their most important of the season to date.

Daryl Murphy and Luke Chambers were on the scoresheet as Ipswich came from behind at Portman Road, ending a costly run of form that had seen them pick up just one point from matches against bottom-six trio Brighton & Hove Albion, Wigan Athletic and Rotherham United.

The damage from that form may have already been done, with five points now separating them from league leaders Middlesbrough, but with two of the top three not in Championship action this weekend, Mick McCarthy's side have the chance to put some pressure back on the teams above them.

Inconsistency away from home has been Ipswich's main barrier to a title charge this season, with five wins, six draws and four defeats on the road so far, including losses in their last two away outings.

By contrast, they have the best home record in the division, so if they find a way to string a few positives results together away from home then they should be challenging for the top two come May.

McCarthy is hopeful that David McGoldrick will be back available in time for the match, while new signing Dylan Connolly has also been included in the matchday squad.

Tyrone Mings could be recalled having started on the bench against Wednesday, but Luke Hyam remains sidelined and will play no part.

Fulham go into the match having begun to slip back down the table in recent weeks and, with those below them starting to pick up more regular points, the nervous glances over their shoulders are becoming more frequent.

Indeed, Tuesday's late 3-1 defeat to Bolton Wanderers saw them drop to within five points of the relegation zone having only managed two wins in their eight league matches since Christmas.

The saga over Bryan Ruiz's future at the club came to an end as FIFA blocked his move to Levante, which means that manager Kit Symons could have the Costa Rican midfielder available this weekend.

Despite languishing down in 18th place going into the match, Fulham could climb into the top half of the table with a victory should other results also go their way, and they will be confident of getting at least something from the match in front of their own fans.

The Cottagers have only been beaten twice in their last 11 home league matches, a run that stretches back to September. However, they will be tested at Craven Cottage over the coming weeks, with Ipswich, Derby County and Bournemouth their next three visitors.

Long-term injury absentee Tim Hoogland is nearing a return but is unlikely to be fit enough to start this weekend's match, with Symons keen to take the right-back's recovery slowly.

At the other end of the field, Hugo Rodallega and Ross McCormack are expected to lead the line once again despite Cauley Woodrow pushing for a start.

Fulham:

Form in Championship: LWWLDL
Form in all competitions: WDLLDL

Possible starting lineup: Bettinelli; Grimmer, Hutchinson, Bodurov, Stafylidis; Christensen, Tunnicliffe, Kacaniklic, Fofana; Rodallega, McCormack

Ipswich:

Form in Championship: LWLDLW
Form in all competitions: LWLDLW

Possible starting lineup: Bialkowski; Chambers, Smith, Berra, Mings; Ambrose, Bishop, Skuse, Hunt; McGoldrick, Murphy

Sports Mole says: 1-2

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/preview/preview-fulham-vs-ipswich-town_205033.html?

WhiteJC

Passley extension likely?

You would think, at least hope, that Josh Passley will now extend his loan spell from Fulham - what with Danny Easy staying with Aldershot for another month...

The thought process for many was that Passley was coming in for a month as this gave East the chance to get a months worth of 1st team football under his belt, as he returns from a long-term injury, before perhaps coming back to Fratton to take up a right back spot, which has been SO problematic for us this season.

Well, until Passley arrived!

Give that East will be staying with Aldershot the logical conclusion is that Passley will have him loan extended with us... Right?

Passley's performances have been really good with him ideally suited to a wingback role and with Andy Awford reverting to this system, which suits him and Dan Butler on the left, we need to agree a deal to keep him for longer really - ideally until the end of the season?

East is not a wingback, I am not convinced he is a right back to be honest, so that would not work anyway would it if/when he returns...

Maybe East will still return, and maybe East will still be back in the 1st team at Pompey before the season is out but the signs are - unless I am reading too much 'between the lines' - that Passley is someone that AA will be looking to keep for a while longer? If not he should be!

With Kit Symons at Fulham I reckon he will do us, and his former teammate, a favour - go on Kit you know it makes sense...

Follow @VitalPortsmouth.

PLAY UP POMPEY!

Read more: http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=550503#ixzz3RYvLmazU

WhiteJC

IPSWICH TOWN LINE UP V FULHAM – MORE CHANGES FOR MCCARTHY

The Tractor Boys picked up their first win in three games against Sheffield Wednesday where Mick McCarthy made five changes to his side and there could well be more this weekend.

David McGoldrick is expected to be back in contention, although he could face competition from Freddie Sears who put in a good performance last Saturday.

New singing Dylan Connolly is also likely to be included in the side and could make a substitute appearance at some point during the game.

Collectively, our chosen XI have played in over 1,610 Championship games with 137 goals scored and 132 assists during that period.

Speaking of goals, Daryl Murphy has been brilliant this season, netting all 19 of his goals in the league this term including three in the last six away games.

This makes him the highest scorer in Ipswich's last 20 Championship games, with David McGoldrick his next closest competitor with his seven so far this term.

Both of the strikers scored in a 2-1 win at Portman Road in the reverse fixture during the first week of the season back in August.

Christophe Berra (5) and Tommy Smith (4) have both contributed with a few goals, with a number of other players also netting for the Tractor Boys this season.

Although they face a Fulham side doing well at home in recent weeks, any of these players are certainly a good bet for a goal this weekend although Murphy edges it after his fine form so far this season.

http://www.kickoff.co.uk/39081/ipswich-town-line-up-v-fulham-more-changes-for-mccarthy/?

WhiteJC

FULHAM LINE UP V IPSWICH – ONE CHANGE FOR SYMONS

We've made just one change from the side that has played in the last few games, bringing Scott Parker back into midfield as they face a very strong Ipswich side.

Indeed, the last time this XI appeared together, they recorded a great 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest at Craven Cottage and have played together a total of five times so far this season.

Our chosen line up also have a fair amount of Championship experience, appearing in over 610 games with 108 goals scored and 68 conceded during that period.

Despite a couple of poor results recently, the Whites have been finding the net and they can certainly do so again this weekend.

Hugo Rodallega is currently the joint top scorer for Fulham in their last 20 league games with all ten of his 11 strikes coming the Championship.

He scored the only goal against Birmingham in their last home game, and could well get him name on the score sheet on Saturday.

Ross McCormack is perfectly matched to his strike partner, netting the same tally of goals and getting the same amount of assists in all competitions as well as joint with the Colombian for goals in the last 20 Championship games.

He scored a hat trick in the Forest game when this XI last played together, and will also be looking to add to his tally this weekend.

Although they face a very strong Tractor Boys, it's hard to chose just one of the strikers to be a dead set bet with both looking good for a flutter on Saturday afternoon.

http://www.kickoff.co.uk/39078/fulham-line-up-v-ipswich-one-change-for-symons/?

WhiteJC

Bryan Ruiz to MLS?

The Costa Rican National Team captain recently announced that he's open to an MLS move

It all started with a tweet: Bryan Ruiz en #DM935: "No las descarto -ligas nórdicas o MLS-. Veremos si hay interés de esos equips"

For our readers who aren't multilingual, that translates to something along the lines of "Don't rule out a move to the Nordic or MLS. We'll see if there's interest from their teams".

Bryan Ruiz is currently at Fulham after seeing a loan move to Levante fall through. He's apparently ill at ease and wants out of the club. His contract is set to expire this summer. For those who aren't familiar with Ruiz, the 29 year old captained Costa Rica to the quarter-finals of the 2014 World Cup, scoring two goals. After beginning his career in Costa Rica with Alajuelense, he moved to Gent, Twente, and then Fulham. He spent the first half of the 2014/15 season on loan with PSV Eindhoven, scoring 5 goals in 14 games.

On the face of it, there seems to be little chance of Ruiz coming to the Whitecaps. We've already filled all three of our DP slots, he'd be another (relatively) big money signing, and it's questionable whether or not he's the type of player Robbo has been looking for. However, with a little bit of optimism and fan bias, it's easier to see things in a more positive light.

For instance, the new CBA could include an extra DP spot for teams, making the financial side of things less of a worry. There's also the potential option of paying down Matias Laba's contract to non-DP status. With the amount of allocation money the 'Caps have received this year from transactions such as the Vitoria trade, CONCACAF Champions League qualification, and Mehdi Ballouchy's pick up in the expansion draft, it's not inconceivable.

Positionally, Ruiz seems to be rather versatile. He's listed in a variety of spots such as attacking midfielder, striker, and right winger. The latter two are definite positions of need in the Whitecaps' squad. With Robert Earnshaw by no means a sure signing, Ruiz could fill a hole up top as well as providing a reliable striker option amongst a young group of forwards.

One can always hope that Kendall Waston will put a good word in for the 'Caps with his fellow countryman, but it will be up to Carl Robinson to determine whether or not Ruiz is the right player to bring into the squad.

http://www.eightysixforever.com/2015/2/12/8028317/bryan-ruiz-to-mls

OdecaMynoT

"I've learned a lot, and stuff I didn't know before, and he concentrates a little bit more on the defensive side. He doesn't really get on your case, but he gives you tips."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-defender-reveals-secret-success-8624485?
[/quote]

But not enough to prevent having the 2nd worst defensive record in the championship.

The secret of success?    087.gif
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

FFC1987

Must admit that headline 'The secret of success' really annoyed me.....

Good to hear Passley doing well though.

Northern Cottager

Quote from: OdecaMynoT on February 13, 2015, 08:09:20 AM

But not enough to prevent having the 2nd worst defensive record in the championship.

The secret of success?    087.gif
[/quote]

That is frightening that we actually work on defending.