more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (16/02/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 15, 2015, 09:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Masked Man Returning to the UK

A former cult hero of the Craven Cottage faithful is set for a return to the UK.

Facundo Sava, during his Fulham playing days, donned a mask whenever he scored, much to the delight of the faithful.

Now back in South America, Sava is managing the top-flight Chilean side O`Higgins but is set for a remarkable change.

It turns out that the Scottish club, St Mirren, is set to be bought out by business associates of Sava and when the deal has gone through, in a few weeks` time, Sava will be brought in as St Mirren`s new manager.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=388815#ixzz3Rqt6cmpm

WhiteJC

Fulham - Back-to-Back Relegation?

All that buoyant talk of Fulham possibly making a late surge to reach the Championship play-offs and head back to the Premier League appears to have been wishful thinking.

After a poor run of form, a run that saw Fulham lose again yesterday, this time at home to Ipswich Town, our immediate concerns now are avoiding relegation.

The loss to Mick McCarthy`s Ipswich yesterday has left Fulham on 35 points just ahead of Millwall who currently occupy the final relegation place in the Championship.

After the 2-1 loss to Ipswich, Kit Symons had this to say,

"We`re having a tough time, I`m under no illusions about that and we need a in.

"It`s a very tight league and there are a lot of people looking over their shoulders at the relegation zone. We need characters to roll up their sleeves and get through it."

Surely we`re not destined for back-to-back relegations are we?

Unfortunately, the way things are going I wouldn`t bet against it!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=388828#ixzz3RqtJMYla

WhiteJC

Next Week - The Biggest Game of Our Season

In an article penned earlier today, the subject of back-to-back relegations was mentioned.

The fact that we`re only five points ahead of Millwall, who currently occupy the last relegation place, was also mentioned.

Well this time next week it could be relief for us or even more anxious glances over our shoulders.

You see next weekend we take on Millwall in a Championship fixture that is now of enormous significance.

A Fulham win would be greeted with huge relief and would restore the gaps between the two sides to eight points whereas a loss would cut it to a hugely worrying two points.

It`s no wonder when the fixture was mentioned to Kit Symons he replied,

"That`s a big game."

It sure is!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=388830#ixzz3RqtVZvnP

WhiteJC

Fulham's Offensive Woes in One Chart

Perhaps Bryan Ruiz staying is a blessing in disguise, and Matt Smith returning at the end of the month might be the catalyst Fulham need, because currently they are extremely over-reliant on two players, and two players alone:

(image courtesy of @stats_snakeoil and his great http://statsandsnakeoil.wordpress.com/ blog)

Oy vey.

The "Emergency Loan Window" runs until mid-March right? Might need to do some dumpster diving...

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/fulhams-offensive-woes-in-one-chart/?

WhiteJC

USMNT star Brian McBride's selfless persona shines through at Hall of Fame induction

SAN FRANCISCO – From the unforgettable goals in the 2002 World Cup to his bloodied face four years later, Brian McBride has been part of some of the most memorable moments in US men's national team history, as well as a boon to the reputation of the American game abroad.

No surprise, then, to see him inducted into the US Soccer Hall of Fame on Saturday evening, along with Bob Bradley and Kristine Lilly, two equally recognizable names in the world of American soccer.

"The moment that so many people remember – aside from the great goals, and there were many of those, was playing through in Kaiserlautern after the head injury and blood, against Italy," US Soccer president Sunil Gulati said during McBride's induction ceremony at the 2015 US Soccer Annual General Meeting's Anniversary Dinner, referencing that famous incident in the 2006 World Cup.

In a fashion reminiscent of that selfless on-field persona, McBride had little to say about himself throughout the ceremony, instead thanking family, friends, teammates and coaches for their support in a professional career that spanned 16 years, three World Cups and 96 US national team caps. Even before the ceremony, he wasn't entirely sure he could put the award into perspective with all his other career accolades.

"It's [a tough honor] to rank. It's something that you don't think about achieving when you're playing," McBride told MLSsoccer.com. "Individually, it's an amazing accomplishment, but it's also due to a lot of what's going on with my teammates and my coaches and the influences they've had on me. On the personal side of it, I'm extremely honored, but I don't know how to put it into relevance, in a sense, because everything before me has been a part of a group,. It's just sort of a standalone thing that I'll cherish."

In addition to his accomplishments with the national team, McBride built a career that saw sustained levels of success both in MLS and in the English Premier League. It all began with his being selected No. 1 over in the inaugural MLS draft, followed by eight years with Columbus Crew SC, from 1996-2003. Over that span, he made 183 total appearances (regular season and playoffs) and scored 71 goals.

Following the 2003 MLS season, he moved to Fulham and set a new standard for the reputation of the American player in England. From 2004-2008, he scored 41 goals in 164 total appearances for the club, was voted the team's player of the year in 2005 and 2006, and remains a club legend. He even has a bar in Fulham's stadium, Craven Cottage, named after him.

"Being a part of that group that started to gain more views, hopefully get other players more chances, that's a great thing," he said. "It's never an easy thing, you have to battle through and make adjustments just like any player, whether you're coming out of college and going to MLS, whether you're coming out of high school and going to MLS now, going from college or youth national team or an MLS team to Europe, you always have to adapt.

In 2008, the Chicago native returned to MLS and suited up for his hometown Fire. Dangerous even in his late 30s, he managed 65 appearances and 19 goals over three seasons.

McBride's experiences on both sides of the Atlantic have afforded him a unique point of view on the ongoing debate over whether Americans are best-served playing in MLS or in Europe. This is especially acute for McBride, who had an unsuccessful spell with German club Wolfsburg prior to his joining Columbus in 1996.

"Going to Wolfsburg, I mentally was not ready, I wasn't prepared to play the psychological games....I didn't do well," he recalled. "Being able to come back, get my feet really underneath me. The good things I understood – what it was to be a professional and what it was I needed to do. So it gave me that basis. Then, being able to really hone those things that I needed to work on allowed me, the next time, to go prepared."

Since he called time on his playing career in 2010, McBride has stayed largely involved in a variety of soccer activities, running his own youth academy, working part-time as an assistant coach with the Fire, and until recently commentating for Fox Sports. Currently, he keeps busy running his human resources firm, SurePeople. But he himself seems sure to continue a career in soccer in some capacity.

"I want to stay involved in soccer," he said. "I'm very happy where I'm at, but I certainly have a desire and a passion to be at the higher levels soccer, whether it's coaching or other."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/02/15/usmnt-star-brian-mcbrides-selfless-persona-shines-through-hall-fame-inductio?

WhiteJC

World Cup standout Bryan Ruiz "not happy at Fulham"

Bryan Ruiz has expressed his serious displeasure at his current club situation in a way most players refrain from doing in the media.

Speaking to Argentinian newspaper La Naicon, Ruiz flat out said he's extremely displeased to still be playing in the Championship after relegation last season.

"I am not happy at Fulham, and they know it," Ruiz said. "I am a professional and I will fulfill my contract in the best way possible. They know that I signed here to play in the Premier League and not in the Championship. This league is not for my style of play, but I'm stuck here."

Those are some seriously strong words. Ruiz has wanted out since fans soured on his play earlier last season, often finding himself on the butt end of (somewhat unjust) boos and jeers at Craven Cottage. He went on loan to PSV in the Eredivisie for the second half of last season and was not around to see the club relegated from the Premier League for the first time in 10 years.

He then went on to impress at the World Cup, proving to be a creative force during Costa Rica's surprising and entertaining run to the quarterfinals. Back at Fulham from Brazil, the 29-year-old was hoping to secure a permanent move away from Craven Cottage but could only find himself out on another loan, or so he thought.

"It seems incredible, but this is part of football." Ruiz said when asked if it's disappointing to play so well on the world stage and then return to the English second division. "In this situation the club decides what happens to me, and it's complicated, but we must accept it."

FIFA blocked a completed January loan move for Ruiz to Spanish side Levante on Deadline Day, saying that paperwork arrived too late. Levante president Francisco Catalan was furious with Fulham, blaming the London side for the delay and ultimately failed move. Ruiz himself said it was hard to convince Fulham – who also wanted a permanent move – to agree to a loan, but ultimately got the club to reluctantly concede.

"[Fulham] agreed to sell me, but when the loan option came they did not want it," Ruiz explained. "At the end I talked to them and made them see that it was beneficial, and I managed to convince them, but they never wanted to accept a loan."

"I am not sure what happened [between Fulham and Levante], I do not know if Fulham was at fault or not. Each club is responsible for sending the documentation, only they know what happened."

Ruiz also expressed a touch of remorse for signing at Fulham in the first place. Having signed from Twente in the summer of 2011 for around $10 million, he never truly fit in, and was often described as a ruby in a world of garnets – a luxury Fulham could not afford. His flowing style of play was often blunted by the physicality of the English game, and Ruiz clearly was more comfortable on a World Cup pitch – or even one in the Netherlands – than he was on an England field.

"After four years where things have not always gone right, where the team is relegated and they force me to honor my contract, it is difficult to assess," Ruiz said. "Maybe it was better to wait and see another option [when I signed], but hey, if I had the opportunity to see the future maybe I would have made different choices. At that time I thought it was the best option I had."

Remorse or not, it appears Ruiz will have to finish out the season at Craven Cottage, where his contract expires at the end of the year. He also did mention the possibility of playing in Major League Soccer in the future, but said despite the rumors, "My priority is to stay in Europe until the [2018] World Cup in Russia."

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/15/world-cup-standout-bryan-ruiz-not-happy-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Fixture Outlook: Matches 32-34

As we approach the end of Fulham's first Championship season, we countdown the matches - 3 at a time. Helping me predict the Whites' scores are: Tom (@DareToLVC) Tom and Emma (@emma_crook) Feel free to comment your predictions down below... This week: Millwall, Wolves, Derby

Match 32/46

Sat 21 Feb 2015

15:00 vs Millwall

The Den (Away)

There have been two losses on the trot for Fulham, who will be looking to bounce back against a side who haven't won in their last 8 home games (2D, 8L). Nothing is going right for either club but 3 points will do both sides a world of good. This match has even been tagged as a relegation six-pointer, after Fulham's poor recent form has seen them slip to 19th. Millwall are breathing down the Whites' neck, just 5 points behind. To represent how dyer the clubs currently are, here is how the two clubs compare when it comes to form.

Millwall - Last 6 Home Games

LLLLDL

Fulham - Last 6 Away Games

WWLLLL

However, there is a huge contrast between the two teams' problems: Fulham have conceded the most goals in the Championship this season on 35. Millwall, on the other hand, have conceded 14 less than Fulham. Yet with just 12 goals scored all season, it is not hard to see that goal-scoring is their dilemma.

A good performance up top could see the whites score 1 or 2 goals, however the most important thing is to keep solidity at the back and keep what should be a simple clean sheet. Based on previous results this season... I suspect this will not be the case.

Ethan Predicts: Millwall 1-1 Fulham

Tom Predicts: Millwall 1-1 Fulham

Emma Predicts: Millwall 0-1 Fulham

Match 33/46

Tue 24 Feb 2015

19:45 vs Wolverhampton Wanderers

Molineux (Away)

Wolves are enjoying an average start back in the Championship, but their fans will be optimistic when they face a Fulham side who have gone the opposite way down the league spectrum. 210 minutes was needed to separate the two sides when they met in the 3rd round of the FA Cup,  with Fulham winning on penalties, so one would naturally expect a close encounter this time.
ADVERTISEMENT

Both teams are on the decline, however, and this will make for an incredibly interesting battle. Here is how the teams compare in form.

Wolves- Last 6 Home Games

LDWWDL

Fulham - Last 6 Away Games

WWLLLL

Whatever happens the week before will probably decide this one, as Fulham take on a poor Millwall side, while Wolves face even poorer Rotherham. Yannick Sagbo and Bacary Sako looked a threat last time, and I expect that this will shine through when the two sides meet.

Ethan Predicts: Wolves 3-1 Fulham

Tom Predicts: Wolves 2-1 Fulham

Emma Predicts: Wolves 1-1 Fulham

Match 34/46

Sat 28 Feb 2015

15:00 vs Derby County

Craven Cottage (Home)

Well. What is there to say? We cannot handle the Rams. In our last two meetings we have shipped 10 goals and scored 3. Only a miracle will prevent Fulham from losing this one.

Optimism is a tough feat sometimes, and I can't muster enough to continue talking about this match. Have a good go at it you Whites, but I'm afraid I won't be attending the match. This may sound extreme but prepare yourselves for pure torture, FFC fans, and don't be disappointed if we only conceded a few.

With pessimism out of the way I can say that after narrowly losing to Ipswich, a miracle may be possible, and Emma follows up on this possibility.

Ethan Predicts: Fulham 0-3 Derby

Tom Predicts: Fulham 1-5 Derby

Emma Predicts: Fulham 2-1 Derby

TOTAL POINTS HAUL:

Ethan: 1

Tom: 1

Emma: 7

(Last time Emma won with a successful 1 point haul prediction. There were also two correct results, Emma saying 1-1 with Birmingham and me with a 2-1 loss to Ipswich. Tom has a bit of catching up to do)

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2015/2/15/8041849/fixture-outlook-matches-32-34

WhiteJC

In-form & fully fit Taggart closes on Fulham debut

A fully fit Adam Taggart says his ambition for the remainder of the season is to not only break into the Fulham first team but begin banging away the goals.

Taggart is yet to make his Fulham debut after joining the Championship club in June last year, due to an ongoing adductor injury.

Late last month Taggart returned to competitive action, after an injury setback, with Fulham's reserves and has now scored three goals in three games to press his first-team claims.

It wasn't long ago, the 21-year-old played all three games for Australia at the 2014 World Cup on the back of a stunning 2013-14 campaign where he won the A-League Golden Boot with the Newcastle Jets.

Speaking to FourFourTwo, Taggart admitted it had been frustrating not to be able to continue that momentum since his move to Fulham, but had a clear goal for the remainder of the season.

"I want to be playing first-team football," Taggart said. "That's why I came here.

"I've had a slow start from injury obviously but now I'm back.

"It drove me a bit crazy being out, because my whole life was based around goals and winning games. That's where I get my buzz from and what I only think about.

"Now I'm fit again it's like I'm back into challenging for my spot like always. I thrive upon that.

"I had a big challenge at Perth, I had a big challenge at Newcastle and it's no different now.

"I'm confident in my own ability. I just need to keep working hard to get that opportunity.

"Everything about my game is based around goals, so my aim for a player at Fulham is to be scoring goals on a regular basis."

Taggart faces stiff competition from the likes of Bryan Ruiz, Hugo Rodallega and Ross McCormack for a first-team spot, but it doesn't deter his belief.

The Socceroo wasn't part of Fulham's squad for Saturday's 2-1 home loss to Ipswich, but manager Kit Symons will be noting his progress given the Cottagers are 19th in the Championship and have only managed five goals in a winless run of six games.

Taggart's form, which has included goals against West Ham, Manchester United and Everton in the reserves, has aided his case and he felt he was "regaining his sharpness".

The Perth-born attacker only resumed competitive action on January 21 against PSV Eindhoven.

He had made an initial comeback in December, playing three times in the reserves as he was desperately keen to be part of the Asian Cup squad, but suffered a cruel setback in training.

"It was my first couple of days back. I slipped in training," he recalled.

"We originally thought it wasn't as bad as it was, so I carried on for a couple of weeks but I was really struggling.

"Eventually after monitoring it for a few weeks we had a scan and it showed I had a tear in my left adductor."

It was the same problem which Taggart had undergone minor surgery on in September, with a recovery timeframe of approximately eight to 12 weeks.

The setback meant his Asian Cup hopes were dashed, but still he thoroughly enjoyed Australia's triumph.

"It was extremely disappointing to have the small setback and be out longer, but at the same time I couldn't be happier for the country," he said.

"It was exciting to watch it. Everyone in Australia and everyone who's been involved in the national team felt a part of it.

"In the end, Australia has got what they deserved. The whole process with Ange (Postecoglou) has really come to life with what he wants to do.

"We played in some extremely tough friendlies before the World Cup, we had an extremely tough group at the World Cup and now all the hard work and the experiences put into the squad has really shone.

"It was nice to get the reward for that."

Taggart's Fulham are next in action on Saturday against Millwall in the league, while the reserves face Chelsea on Thursday.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/form-fully-fit-taggart-closes-fulham-debut#l4qhfwlMxKiPCjby.99

WhiteJC

The View From South Texas — Our Story so Far
by HatterDon

After eight matches this season, we had earned the startling total of 1 point. Our clueless manger was out, and we were left with a squad full of promising kids and a few remaining players who could be best described as "journeymen."

Four people who had not been involved during this stretch, turned that completely around in just a few months, bringing Fulham to at least mid-table respectability while providing interesting football that was FINALLY enjoyable to watch again. Who were those four?

1. Kit Symons — using the exact same squad that Felix was torturing, he turned Fulham into a side that — at one point — was averaging 2 points per match — up quite a bit from 1/8 points per match.

2. Marcus Bettinelli — despite his tender age, he inspired confidence and showed forthright courage and no little skill. While nowhere near the finished article, he was at least an equally talented replacement for the recently departed David Stockdale.

3. Lasse Vigan Christensen — the man from nowhere. I had completely forgotten he was with us, but Kit brought him in almost immediately, and he was magnificent. The last time I got as excited when a Fulham player tore upfield with the ball at his feet was when Luis Boa Morte was running our left wing. We suddenly had a fearless attacking force — with no little defensive nous — that opponents had to be concerned about. His inclusion in the starting XI made us a credible Championship side.

4. Bryan Ruiz — Yes, I know, probably 75% of you who read this don't like the man, but I think you know that what I'm about to say is true. With Kit finally using the man properly, Bryan was able to help dictate the game. His short flicks and longer probing passes, spread out our offense and had us — for the first time since Hughes left — attacking across the width of the pitch. He showed a lot more defensive commitment as well, and was the settling veteran influence that this group of kids needed.

Were we still underperforming? Well, if you're measuring our performance against the aggregate talent in the squad, then yes. But if you're measuring our performance against what might be expected from any other group of talented but inexperienced kids, then I don't think the answer was yes.

Others disagreed. Every time we lost the knives were out. We play long ball. I hate the diamond. X isn't playing enough. Y is playing too much. Why can't we play more than one good half? I hate Ruiz! I remember when we had just ended a 5-match unbeaten run with a loss and a significant percentage of Fulham forum contributors wanted a new manager, a new owner, and ... I guess ... a new bicycle for Christmas.

Now, of course, we are REALLY in a bad patch. Hugo is off form. Ross is feeling the loss of Ruiz in the lineup. LVC has still not recovered from his injury, Hyndman was unavailable the entire time that Parker was ill and, worst of all, Betts has suffered a pretty severe loss of form.

This happens all the time with professional teams. What SHOULD happen is that the experienced professionals make do with what they have, put up the best effort that they can, and the fans understand the situation and cheer harder until the overall health and form return. This isn't happening.

The thing is that when the first XI is made up of 7 or 8 young still-developing players, a sudden loss of form is harder for them to cope with. They know that how they play now will inform the rest of their careers. They know that if they become the cause of losses, this may stunt their careers entirely. They are also more susceptible to barracking from the terraces than more experienced players are. As a result, they become tentative, hesitant, and terrified to go-for-broke for fear of incurring even more wrath.

One of his former National Team managers was asked what made Clint Dempsey so successful. His response? "Clint's not afraid to try poo." Our young players — aware of our gentle slide down the league table, and booed forcefully at home — are deathly afraid to try poo for fear of even more negative support. That's why a good build-up ends in an interception or a loss of possession. Everyone is afraid to, as I like to yell pretty much constantly during our matches, PULL THE DAMN TRIGGER when in front of goal. The worse the abuse becomes, the more tentative they'll be, and the longer this slump will last. I hope it ends at Millwall.

What do I think? I think that given the squad we have, there's nobody around who can get more out of it than Kit. I think that we need to keep bringing the kids out there, but with a lot more REAL support. I would like to see more of Woodrow, and I'd like to see Roberts come off the bench EVERY match from 60-75 minutes just to scare the holy crap out of our opponents. I'd like to see Ruiz and a fully-fit LVC help energize the attacking midfield so that Ross can go back up front. I think we'll get out of this, and I think we'll end 12-16 before the season is over. I also think we'll have a productive summer transfer period and put on a real dash for promotion NEXT season.

I just wish that some of the passion for their side that Fulham fans are known for was more "This is my team and I cheer for them no matter what" and less "I pay good money and I'll shout anything I like at these spoiled over-paid jerks."

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=495