News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fans often don't know best. Don't listen to them.

Started by Whiteroom, February 18, 2015, 09:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulham1959

Quote from: Whiteroom on February 18, 2015, 09:23:33 AM
I remember when Felix left, and Kit had had about 10 games in charge there was an overwhelming tide of opinion if favour of appointing Kit straight away. He was the fans' no.1 guy, and hailed, with chants of "we've got our Fulham back", as the saviour of the club. I really think that the pressure from the fans had an effect on the decision of the club to give him the job. In retrospect, I think it was a case of collective naivety. Yes, he was doing well, but anyone would have improved the mood after the departure of a lunatic. Kit is Fulham, he is a good guy, but he is totally inexperienced. It was a risky appointment, driven by the fans. The weight of opinion is now fairly against Kit, and I don't think this puts us in a very strong position to hope our views are listened to in the future.

I rather think that applies to anyone becoming a manager for the first time, except possibly those who have been a No. 2.

It's similar to, "No fixed address - then I can't offer you a job". 

"But I can't get a house until I can prove I've got a  job!"

love4ffc

I wouldn't say fans don't know best.  They may not always know everything going on behind the scenes but overall I think most fans have a general idea of what would be best for the club.  The fans may not know how best to get the desired result for the clubs but they are still in titled to their opinions. 

We all see and hear things and they currently don't make sense.  So we speculate about:

Why are so many players being let go?
Why are there no incoming players?
What is Khan's intensions for the club?
Why didn't Khan spend money in the transfer window?
So on and so on.......

All of this speculation stems from a lack of communication from the club, Kit and khan.  Until our new director steps in and takes the reins we need someone to step up and reassure the fans (and I'm not talking about the once in blue moon shoutout).  I would like to see a weekly update from someone giving good explanations about what is going on and how we are addressing it.  I'm not saying it has to be full transparency but at least fill us in on the broader details. 

For example you don't have to tell us we are targeting so and so in the summer.  Just tell us that Kit has targeted blank and blank being important for the summer window so the club will be looking to do blank.  Then the next week tell us in general terms where do we stand on accomplishing it. 

Communicate better with the fans and your own players and you'll improve the overall mood of the club.  You'll never stop all the speculation but you can at least stop some. 

Just my humble opinion 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Whitesideup

Quote from: colcliff on February 18, 2015, 10:31:48 AM
I'm  not sure if kit is totally the right man for the job 
but just getting someone who has done well at another club is also no guarantee of success
I feel at the moment the club needs some stability there is a possibility that this may back fire and cost us
but who can say what can happen no one can predict how any manager is going to do
but I feel at this moment to change managers again may be a mistake
we keep on that the young players are not living up,to expectations  but nothing unsettles young players more than keep getting different managers with different approaches   
There are some very valid points in this post. It is interesting to note that some successful managers then fail at a different club, perhaps even with bigger budgets at their disposal.

Is Kit the man? I don't know, and was neither for or against his appointment. When the results went his way though, (and not all were fully deserved, just as some of the defeats under Magath were a bit unlucky) it was hard for anyone to resist his appointment, especially as his man management skills were in a different league to Magath and employees must have felt the difference in atmosphere in the place.

Danny Murphy would have been my first choice as I just think he talks such a good game. No experience of management ..true, but who knows if this would have held him back? But all water under the bridge. Agree we should keep Kit until the end of the season at least, but our playing style is just awful at the moment.

If we stay up, (and regrettably, if the odds are good enough, I think I have to place a bet on the fact we will be going down) perhaps Kit will need a higher level of support. I think though he would resist as it could undermine his own position. 

Berserker

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 18, 2015, 12:52:01 PM
CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE LIE - Anybody could NOT have improved the team, the form, the tea making facilities, the mood once the German had gone. By all means give the view that Kit was wrong in the longer term or he was born on the back of a pack of laughing hyenas.

But this constant argument by many that ANYBODY could have improved things is simply not true.

There I said it. Now leave me alone
Oh no can't leave you alone your opinion is far too interesting.....
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

alfie

Quote from: nose on February 18, 2015, 12:24:58 PM
Regarding the OP there are always a large number of people in any walk of life who sway with the breeze.
There are a few others that try and think a bit harder about a subject and come to a more considered conclusion.

The fans views are vitally important and in many instances do knw what's best or rather can see that all is not well and action needs to be taken..... the issue is the nature of the action. For me, kit is the man, we are have a poor run and it highlights the deficiencies we have, all we need to do is ensure the management of the club act to get IMO a good or better No2 for Kit and as soon as possible a few better quality players in all the positions we endlessly discuss.

Kit plays the formation he does because of the personnel, not because I think he is in love with it. I do think the people against him need to have a bit of a reality check. He has to stay because a) I think in the long run he will be a tremendous manager and b) because even if he isn't another change now would guarantee league one football!

disagree a bit with your last para, why not just give something different a try, after all we are losing each week anyway, it just might work.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Mince n Tatties

I want leave you alone Lighthouse...My Auntie Flo and Uncle Charlie could have improved us.
Just like Lennon did when he took over from Freedman, Rowlett when he
took over from Clark, Neil when he took over from Adams, and it goes on and on.
The trouble is some keep the run going, Kit is going backwards again
im afraid..

Logicalman

Quote from: GrahamG on February 18, 2015, 01:31:20 PM
LIE is an awful choice of words. My OPINION is that anybody (with any people skills) could have pulled things round after Felix. Almost certainly, the 'good will' feeling would have worn off in time whoever was put in charge and genuine management skills would have been required to keep momentum. Kit now has that problem and I don't believe he has the skills.

Dunno about that. I have people skills and zero idea of anything about running, managing or coaching a footie team, take that into consideration AND the fact you had to add a rider to the description, then the use of the term LIE appears closer to the real description than not. Unless of course your OPINION is that I can run the team better than any other manager/coach we have employed. Gissa job - I can do that!!

In addition, all the people that were saying last year that their granny, dead relative and such people could do a better job than Jol was doing, also appear to be in that same category. What do you all mean, you didn't mean it literally? You wrote it didn't you?

Well done Mr LH, in pointing out the obvious idiosyncrasies of people over-indulging in abuse to win an argument.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

GrahamG

Logicalman - What a load of nonsense. Postings on here would have to be incredibly long to cover all bases and to say in great detail exactly what we mean in every case. Very boring. When people say 'anybody could have brought about an improvement after Felix', I think that most people on this board know what is meant. The fact  that literally it doesn't include the housebound or the comatose etc doesn't make it a lie in the context of this messageboard.

Lighthouse

In my opinion, taking all things into account,bearing in mind the pen is mightier than the sword. The opinion that some people have put forward that ANYBODY could have done better than Felix. IS in my opinion a lie. A lie that they may well believe. But a lie it remains. A lie being an untruth, not true and therefore a lie.

For instance there is no evidence that can be brought forward that proves the opinion that ANYBODY could have improved things after Felix. But as we have been on a downward spiral for many years. Since Symons took over he did reverse that situation. So proof that in actual fact only Symons HAS reversed the immediate reversal of fortunes.

Should we still go down, Symons has still, without any additions to the previous squad, bar a few loan signings. Improved our team. It is pure speculation that some other manager could improve things now. But a lie that ANYBODY could have improved things after Felix.

Now leave me alone and stop telling fibber tales.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Lighthouse on February 18, 2015, 09:18:40 PM
In my opinion, taking all things into account,bearing in mind the pen is mightier than the sword. The opinion that some people have put forward that ANYBODY could have done better than Felix. IS in my opinion a lie. A lie that they may well believe. But a lie it remains. A lie being an untruth, not true and therefore a lie.

For instance there is no evidence that can be brought forward that proves the opinion that ANYBODY could have improved things after Felix. But as we have been on a downward spiral for many years. Since Symons took over he did reverse that situation. So proof that in actual fact only Symons HAS reversed the immediate reversal of fortunes.

Should we still go down, Symons has still, without any additions to the previous squad, bar a few loan signings. Improved our team. It is pure speculation that some other manager could improve things now. But a lie that ANYBODY could have improved things after Felix.

Im not going to leave you alone.
Im going to stalk you..... :005:

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 18, 2015, 09:42:31 PM

That makes six of us
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 18, 2015, 11:31:08 PM

That makes six of us

Well if you will insist on stalking me. I am wearing a pink chiffon ball gown , a miners helmet with adjustable torch,  black thigh boots and breathing heavily. But then you try going up stairs wearing all that and singing show tunes.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Arthur

What is almost certainly true, in my opinion, is that the strength of support that Symons enjoyed among the fans four months ago gave Khan no option but to appoint him. Anyone ousting Kit would have had an almost impossible task: one poor result and he – and Khan – would straightaway have incurred the ire of the fans.

I also believe that we can't know who the five-man panel's recommendation was.

They may, indeed, have backed Kit. Nonetheless, at the press conference to unveil Symons, Khan thanked the five for their work, but stopped short of saying what was anticipated: that Kit had been their choice. Had the panel advised Khan differently, no good whatsoever could have resulted from our owner revealing this; it would only have served to undermine Symons from the outset.

That Kit's current level of support is so much lower is significant. Logically, it does demonstrate that, as a body of fans, we don't know what (or who) is best: If Symons is the best man for the job, why do so many now think otherwise? If Symons wasn't the best choice, why did so many think that he was?

In saying that fans don't know best, the OP has, in this instance, made a valid point.

Arthur

The opinion that some people have put forward that ANYBODY could have done better than Felix. IS in my opinion a lie. A lie that they may well believe. But a lie it remains. A lie being an untruth, not true and therefore a lie.

Allow me a stab at telling the truth: If not quite 'ANYBODY', then virtually anybody involved in managing or coaching professional footballers could, with our squad in this division, average a measly two points from every seven matches and thus improve on Magath's record this season. Strictly speaking, in fact, to better Felix's dismal effort, they need only achieve an even-less-challenging average of a solitary point from every seven games - provided we enjoy a deficit of fewer than 12 goals.

Two can play at this game.

Mince n Tatties

094.gif
Quote from: Lighthouse on February 19, 2015, 12:07:49 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 18, 2015, 11:31:08 PM

That makes six of us

Well if you will insist on stalking me. I am wearing a pink chiffon ball gown , a miners helmet with adjustable torch,  black thigh boots and breathing heavily. But then you try going up stairs wearing all that and singing show tunes.

064.gif

snarks

Quote from: Arthur on February 19, 2015, 02:47:29 AM
The opinion that some people have put forward that ANYBODY could have done better than Felix. IS in my opinion a lie. A lie that they may well believe. But a lie it remains. A lie being an untruth, not true and therefore a lie.

Allow me a stab at telling the truth: If not quite 'ANYBODY', then virtually anybody involved in managing or coaching professional footballers could, with our squad in this division, average a measly two points from every seven matches and thus improve on Magath's record this season. Strictly speaking, in fact, to better Felix's dismal effort, they need only achieve an even-less-challenging average of a solitary point from every seven games - provided we enjoy a deficit of fewer than 12 goals.

Two can play at this game.

Fair point, but Felix had all the managerial credentials in terms of record that you could want, and yet he couldn't do it with this squad. I'm honest enough to admit when Felix was appointed I thought, good choice he'll keep Fulham up and build a team capable of challenging for european football in a couple of years.

Shows I know bugger all. If I was as good as I think I am, my local team would (being managed by me of course) have risen from the high of Southampton Junior division 2 to league 2 in consecutive sesons. Hence I'm a fan I see shortcomings and think this is the way to remedy it, but is it. I've just proved I know nothing and understand even less.