more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (21/02/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 20, 2015, 05:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Millwall v Fulham preview
Shaun Cummings will be missing for Millwall when they take on London rivals Fulham.

The full-back, a January signing from Reading, suffered a thigh injury during last weekend's 1-0 defeat at Leeds and faces around a month on the sidelines.

Paris Cowan-Hall (leg), Carlos Edwards (knee) and Nicky Bailey (calf) are still out, although the latter could return soon having played for the reserves this week to build up his fitness.

Midfielder Michael Tonge returns after being ineligible to play at Elland Road while striker Gary Taylor-Fletcher, who played for Lions boss Ian Holloway at Blackpool, has been linked with a loan switch from Leicester ahead of the match.

Fulham manager Kit Symons, who scored the winner the last time his side visited Millwall 17 years ago, could recall Bryan Ruiz to his starting line-up.

The Costa Rican forward came off the bench during the 2-1 defeat at Ipswich last weekend, his first appearance since a January loan switch to Levante fell through.

Defender Tim Hoogland is over the hernia problem which has sidelined him since October and could be in contention.

Fellow full-back Fernando Amorebieta is also on the mend after a knee injury.

http://www.football365.com/match/3735414/preview?

WhiteJC

Taggart's Chelsea Joy

Adam Taggart was delighted to see his side progress to the Semi-Finals of the Premier League International Cup after an incredible 4-3 win over local rivals Chelsea at Aldershot on Thursday evening.

In a topsy-turvy game the Whites found themselves 3-2 down with just over twenty minutes remaining, but equalised through an own goal before Taggart struck late on to seal the win.

Unsurprisingly he was delighted with the result, telling fulhamfc.com: "It was good – we are disappointed to concede three goals but at the same time we showed the character we needed to win the game by scoring four, and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

"It was an important local derby to us and we take that extremely seriously, it was a great opponent to play against and it's great for the development of the players."

The Australian international has endured a frustrating start to his Fulham career having undergone groin surgery in September, but he's now fully fit and pleased to be back amongst the goals having scored four in his last four appearances.

"I feel really good," he said. "It was a tough start being injured for so long. Now I'm back and getting into a rhythm of games. It's really nice to be back, I'm feeling 100 per cent, so hopefully I can kick on.

"All the boys have been fantastic and are giving me some great opportunities on the pitch. I have to praise the boys behind me to get me the ball in good positions."

Taggart's winner came late on when he showed his striking instincts to react quickest to Tim Hoogland's knock-down from a corner.

"I saw big Tim coming in at the back stick so I just made sure I got in front of my man so that I could tap in," he explained. "Any number nine loves a good tap-in!

"It was nice to get the winner but full credit has to go to all the boys who fought the whole game and really dug deep, because for a lot of the game we were under the pump a fair bit.

"But it just goes to show that as long as you can stay disciplined and keep the work rate up then you can always get the win, so it was nice to walk away with the victory."

The striker was also full of praise for the International Cup competition which is in its first year following its launch in the summer.

"These are the games you want to play in," Taggart explained. "It's important to play really competitive matches. I think the tournament is great, to play all the best clubs around Europe, and what better way to get to the Semi-Final than by beating Chelsea.

"It's another step in the right direction. We need to make sure we have the same attitude and same character to go all the way and get to the Final."

The Semi-Finals will take place in March and the draw will be made when all the Quarter-Final matches have been completed. The Under-21s are next in action against Leicester City at Motspur Park on 28th February (1pm).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/20/taggarts-chelsea-joy?

WhiteJC

Millwall v Fulham

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: The Den Date: Saturday 21 February Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Coverage: Watch highlights on The Football League Show; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Millwall defender Shaun Cummings has suffered a thigh injury and faces around a month on the sidelines.

Paris Cowan-Hall (leg), Carlos Edwards (knee) and Nicky Bailey (calf) are still out, while midfielder Michael Tonge is available for selection.

Fulham forward Bryan Ruiz could make his first appearance since a January loan switch to Levante fell through.

Defender Tim Hoogland (hernia) could be in contention while Fernando Amorebieta (knee) is also on the mend.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-Head
•   Millwall won the earlier meeting this season 1-0 at Craven Cottage in August - the first meeting between these sides since 1999.
•   Fulham have won only two of the last 12 meetings, though they were both in the last three.
•   Fulham won the last meeting at The Den 1-0 in the old Division Two in October 1998 - their only win in the last six meetings there.

Millwall
•   Millwall have won two of their last four games, after winning only two of their previous 24 games in all competitions.
•   Millwall have not won any of their last nine home games in all competitions, losing six. Their last win at The Den was 1-0 against Cardiff in the Championship on 25 October.

Fulham
•   Fulham have not won any of their last six games in all competitions, losing four. Their last win was 3-2 against Nottingham Forest at home in the Championship on 21 January.
•   Fulham have lost their last four away games in the Championship. Their last league win on the road was 1-0 at Leeds on 13 December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31467126

WhiteJC

Preview: Millwall v Fulham

All you need to know about Saturday's big game

Millwall host London rivals Fulham on Saturday looking to record a first 'double' of the season and at the same time boost their survival hopes with victory against their fellow strugglers.

Holloway's side, who edged to a 1-0 win at Craven Cottage back in August, currently have 30 points, just one point behind fourth-from-bottom Brighton (31pts) and five points away from Fulham (35pts).

With Rotherham (34pts), Charlton (36pts) and a trio of clubs - Reading, Bolton and Cardiff - on 37 points, the fight for Championship survival is turning into one of the most open for some years. Even teams as high up the table as 10th-placed Nottingham Forest (41pts) are closer points-wise to the relegation zone than the Play-Off spots.   

Prior to Saturday's narrow defeat at Leeds courtesy of a deflected Alex Mowatt free-kick, The Lions had recorded back-to-back 1-0 wins on their travels. It has been the wretched run of results on home soil that has proved a hindrance this season. Millwall's last home victory came back in October against Cardiff City, one of only three home League successes for The Lions since August.

What the managers say

Ian Holloway: "We couldn't quite convert our chances at Leeds but if we keep creating those types of opportunities then I strongly believe we will convert them and score some goals.

"We have two home games coming up now and we need to repeat our last few away performances at The Den. We're all desperate for our fans to see some wins at home and we have a chance now to try and do that."

Kit Symons: "It"s always a good, very competitive match and the atmosphere is always good there. It gets lively at The Den and I've always quite enjoyed it there. There's always that little bit of extra edge in a London derby." 

Team news

Millwall boss Ian Holloway will be forced to reshuffle his defensive pack after right-back Shaun Cummings sustained a thigh injury at Leeds United last weekend and will now be sidelined for at least four weeks. 

Skipper Alan Dunne could revert from a central defensive role to fill the right-back berth in Cummings' absence, although Jimmy Abdou has slotted in to that position on a couple of times previously this season. Sid Nelson, available after completing a three-match ban before the Leeds game, featured for The Lions at right-back during pre-season and is also in contention.

Holloway is likely to try and minimise changing a back four that has kept three clean sheets in the last five Championship matches.

Striker Gary Taylor-Fletcher, who penned a loan deal until the end of the season from Leicester City on Friday morning, has been added to the Millwall squad alongside midfielder Michael Tonge, ineligible to face his parent club Leeds last weekend.

Cottagers boss Kit Symons has no new injury problems with midfielder Scott Parker set to continue having returned to the first team fold following injury in last weekend's 2-1 home defeat by Ipswich Town. Strikers Ross McCormack and Hugo Rodallego look set to continue up front, although Bryan Ruiz is another option having returned to the squad for the Ipswich game after the collapse of a loan move to Levante.

Head-to-head

Saturday's meeting will be the 42nd between Millwall and Fulham the first at The Den 17th October 1998. On that occasion an 89th-minute goal from Kit Symons, now manager at Craven Cottage, secured a 1-0 win against a Lions side reduced to 10 men following the 41st-minute sending off of defender Jamie Stuart.

Millwall's last victory over the West London club was a 1-0 win at Craven Cottage in August 2014 courtesy of Martyn Woolford's first-half strike.

In total, Fulham have won 16 of the previous 41 encounters to Millwall's 14, with the remaining 11 finishing in draws.

Betting

Find a comprehensive list of odds on the game with Sky Bet.

Coverage

Unable to make it to The Den? The Lions Player team will be bringing you full match commentary from 7.40pm.

We will also have all of the usual updates on @MillwallFC, the club's official Twitter account. Get involved with the discussion before, during and after the game by tagging your tweets with #MFCvFFC

Read more at http://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/article/preview-millwall-v-fulham-2282310.aspx#URlMtMIvUEKT2Mev.99

WhiteJC

Parker up for Millwall

Scott Parker says the Whites are prepared for a fervent London derby at The Den against Millwall on Saturday (3pm), and he's hoping the support of the travelling Fulham fans will help boost the team on the pitch.

"I don't think any player come Saturday is going to be under any illusions of what the game is going to bring," Parker told fulhamfc.com. "Everyone's going to know they're in for a battle and certainly the first port of call is to win the battle. Hopefully from there you can play your nice football, but the result is the key."

The result will indeed be key to the Whites. Despite turning the season around since the last time we faced Millwall at the Cottage at the start of the season, Fulham currently sit in 19th position. Millwall are in 22nd, with just five points separating the two sides.

"I think all London derbies have that bit of an edge to them," said Parker, "but the position of the two teams in the league at the moment will probably add a little bit more spice."

The Fulham Captain is anticipating a boisterous atmosphere at The Den and is looking for the support of the travelling fans to help boost the team, on what he believes will be his first appearance in Millwall.

"I'm still trying to rack my brain," he said. "I don't think I've ever played at The Den but I think it's going to be a very intense atmosphere.

"You often hear players say that the away travelling fans can give you that special lift. There's real passion there so it can really help the team, especially going to a place like Millwall.

"I don't know how many tickets we've sold for the game but I'm sure we'll bring a good following and a good support and that will only help the lads on the pitch. We're looking forward to it."

Following a string of results not going Fulham's way in the past few games, Parker admits that the team have taken a bit of a knock.

"Obviously confidence is not flying," he admitted. "It's like anything really, football's all about results. When you're not winning games confidence won't be exactly high. But saying that, with the young squad we have there is that real youthful attitude where they can forget about things and just want to get out there and play again.

"Then you've got someone like me, who obviously has been around a long while and I probably analyse things more in my head and see things in a different way. In this situation we are in now it's probably good to have such a young squad who, once the game is gone, are ready to play again on Saturday.

"We'll take each game as it comes. We're hoping to get a good result on the weekend. And try to make our way up the table again."

Tickets are available to purchase on the day from the North Stand Ticket Office at the Den

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/20/parker-millwall-preview?

WhiteJC

Millwall boss suffering selection headache as Fulham to recall star man

Millwall manager Ian Holloway has numerous injury worries ahead of the Lions' crucial London derby with Fulham on Saturday.

Shaun Cummings will be missing for Millwall due to a thigh injury. Paris Cowan-Hall (leg), Carlos Edwards (knee) and Nicky Bailey (calf) are still out but Michael Tonge returns.

Fulham manager Kit Symons, who scored the winner the last time his side visited Millwall 17 years ago, could recall Bryan Ruiz to his starting line-up.

Tim Hoogland is over the hernia problem which has sidelined him since October and could be in contention.

Fellow full-back Fernando Amorebieta is also on the mend after a knee injury as the Cottagers look to climb the table.

Last five league matches: Millwall D W L W L; Fulham W L D L L

Top scorers: Ricardo Fuller (Millwall) 6, Paris Cowan-Hall (Millwall) 6; Ross McCormack (Fulham) 12

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/millwall/millwall_boss_suffering_selection_headache_as_fulham_to_recall_star_man_1_3964506

WhiteJC

Next Up: Millwall

Fulham travel across London to The Den for the first time since 1998 to face Millwall in a crucial encounter in the Sky Bet Championship on Saturday (3pm).

The opposition

There was optimism at the start of the season at The Den that Ian Holloway could consolidate his side's place in the division after the turbulent season that preceded, where Holloway came in and narrowly avoided relegation to League One.

The signs were positive as the season got underway with the Lions recording back to back wins, including a 1-0 triumph at the Cottage, and losing just once in the opening five league games left them in the Play-Off positions at the end of August.

However, Holloway's side then embarked on a disastrous run throughout September and October, going eight games without a win and picking up just four points along the way before finally recording a victory at the end of October against Cardiff City.

That win proved to be a false dawn as they again went on another winless run of six games throughout November and were thrashed 5-1 at home by high flying Middlesbrough in early December. A long awaited win then arrived once again, this time at Brighton & Hove Albion, but their failure to build on three points was to be highlighted once again.

This time it was to be an eight game winless run in all competitions, including a 6-1 thrashing at Norwich City and cup humiliation at Bradford City in the New Year.

Coming into today's game their form has been somewhat inconsistent with two wins both followed by defeats, the most recent of which saw them lose 1-0 at Leeds United and leaving them in the relegation zone.

Team News

The Lions will be without Shaun Cummings after the right-back suffered a thigh injury at Leeds last time out. Defender Byron Webster has re-joined his former club Yeovil Town on loan this week.

Inside the camp

Ian Holloway added to his squad this week with the arrival of Gary Taylor-Fletcher on an emergency loan deal.

The pair worked together during their time at Blackpool, and Holloway is pleased to have the 33-year-old at his disposal for the remainder of the season.

"It's been a few years since I worked with Fletch and I'm pleased to have him here at Millwall," Holloway told millwallfc.co.uk. "He has a really good brain and I like the way he plays.

"He links play brilliantly and can play in any one of the four forward positions, which is wide left, wide right, up the middle or behind the striker. Fletch knows all of those roles really well.

"He has been at Leicester and helped them to get promoted. They have moved on a little bit and I believe we can use his experience to our benefit."

Player to watch

Diego Fabbrini: 24-year-old Fabbrini has injected a much needed creative spark in the Millwall midfield since he joined the Lions on loan in mid-January from Watford. The Italian has started all six games since his arrival and has already become a hit with the fans. He started his career in his native country at Empoli and became a regular in his first season as a professional. He was soon snapped up in 2011 by Udinese but, despite signing a five year contract in 2012, he was loaned out to Palermo. In the summer of 2013 Fabbrini was one of many Udinese players to join Watford, but loan spells have again followed, at Siena last season and this time around at Millwall, as he tries to establish regular first team football. Capped once at international level by Italy against England in a friendly in 2012, he is a versatile attack minded midfielder, who can play out wide but is most effective in behind the striker. Always looking to create, find space and spot a pass, the Italian can also pose a threat with his mazy runs.

Marathonbet match odds

Millwall: 6/4

Draw: 49/20

Fulham: 41/20

Tickets for Saturday's game will be available to purchase from the ground on the day of the game, priced at just £26 for adults.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/20/next-up-millwall?

WhiteJC

Fulham welcome back defender in time for Millwall clash

Whites German bite ready for Lions Den

Recovered: Hoogland
Tim Hoogland is back in the frame to face Millwall tomorrow - although it's more likely he will feature in the three games that follow over the next 10 days.

The German right-back and midfielder came through 90 minutes in an U21 game against Chelsea on Thursday night, and looks set to play for the first time since he pulled up lame with a pelvis injury at the end of October.

Head wound: Hutchinson
Shaun Hutchinson has also recovered from a head wound sustained in the closing minutes of defeat to Ipswich last week, and throws his name into the hat for a relegation six-pointer at the New Den.

Bryan Ruiz has also recovered from a midweek virus, and trained today, Friday, as boss Kit Symons has demanded his players stamp their authority in south London from the whistle.

"It's likely to start fairly nervously," he said. "Their home record hasn't been so great. It's going to be who can take the initiative early, and we need to be on the front foot from the off and quell their passionate crowd.

"It's very likely there will be an element of rotation over the next few games, when you get so many games in such a short time Some will be forced, because you never know, but also we might need to freshen things up.

"We're under no illusions we have a tough run, but we need tough people to get us through it. We've got to roll our sleeves up and scrap."

Do you agree with the Whites starting XI, below, to face Millwall?

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-welcome-back-defender-time-8686799?

WhiteJC

Taggart finding rhythm at Fulham

Australian striker Adam Taggart says he is finding rhythm after a frustrating start to his Fulham career.

The seven-time Socceroo underwent groin surgery in September last year, just months after being signed by the English outfit.

But Taggart was on the scoresheet for the under-21s on Thursday, netting the winner in a 4-3 victory over Chelsea in the Premier League International Cup quarter-finals.

The former Newcastle Jet said he was slowly finding form.

"I feel really good," Taggart told the Fulham website.

"It was a tough start being injured for so long. Now I'm back and getting into a rhythm of games. It's really nice to be back, I'm feeling 100 per cent, so hopefully I can kick on.

"All the boys have been fantastic and are giving me some great opportunities on the pitch.

"I have to praise the boys behind me to get me the ball in good positions."

Taggart's late winner came after he got on the end of Tim Hoogland's knock-down from a corner.

But the 21-year-old was full of praise for his team-mates.

"I saw big Tim coming in at the back stick so I just made sure I got in front of my man so that I could tap in. Any number nine loves a good tap in," Taggart said.

"It was nice to get the winner but full credit has to go to all the boys who fought the whole game and really dug deep, because for a lot of the game we were under the pump a fair bit.

"But it just goes to show that as long as you can stay disciplined and keep the work rate up then you can always get the win, so it was nice to walk away with the victory."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/taggart-finding-rhythm-fulham#ASiPowIAFbpt9KdU.99

WhiteJC

Kit's Millwall Preview

Kit Symons believes that Millwall will be there for the taking if the Whites can take the early initiative when they play at The Den on Saturday (3pm).

"It's probably likely to start fairly nervously I would think," Kit Symons said in his pre-match press conference. "It will be a little bit cagey to start with but we need to be on the front foot right from the off.

"Their home record's not great. I think they've lost four and drawn two out of their last six home games so it's going to be who can take the initiative early doors. We've got to be nice and positive and try to get on top."

Millwall currently find themselves in the relegation zone with 30 points, but following a string of disappointing results the Whites sit just five points and three places above them.

Symons is looking to use this game to reverse that run and start moving up the table, especially ahead of facing a string of teams all battling for promotion, including Derby County, Bournemouth and Watford.

"It's a tough little run of games we've got right now but I'm more than confident we can get through it and come out with a decent points return," said Symons. "It is so tight. Mid-table down to third bottom is really, really close. A couple of wins at this moment in time would be very welcome."

Tickets for Saturday's game will be available to purchase from the ground on the day of the game, priced at just £26 for adults.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/20/kits-millwall-preview?

WhiteJC

U18s Visit Spurs

The first phase of Fulham's Barclays U18 Premier League campaign comes to an end on Saturday when they travel to Tottenham Hotspur.

It will be the Whites' 22nd league game of the season, meaning they will have faced every side in the division twice. When all other teams have completed their schedules, play-off fixtures will be determined.

Fulham currently occupy eighth spot in the table, two points and four places behind Spurs, although the North London outfit have played three games fewer.

Tottenham came away from Motspur Park with a narrow 3-2 win earlier in the campaign, with former Spurs striker Josh Walker twice on target for Fulham.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/20/u18s-visit-spurs?

WhiteJC

Millwall boss eyes Fulham victory for fans and chairman

IAN Holloway admits it is about time Millwall fans saw their side win at home.

The Lions, who host Fulham in a London derby tomorrow, have not taken three points at The Den since beating Cardiff City way back in October.

Holloway is desperate to end that poor run for the sake of the club's supporters as well as chairman John Berylson, who is over from Boston for the next five days.

"Our fans deserve to see us attack teams with aggressive running and crosses into the box," he said.

"Hopefully we can score and if we can get that first goal I believe they'll all be with us and the atmosphere will be great.

"I really want us to win in front of our fans. I need them to be positive but it's very difficult when you've not seen your team win at home for a while.

"It's about time we set about someone at The Den and imposed our game on the away team.

"It should be an exciting game and I want to come out on top. To do that, we'll have to hurt Fulham's back four.

"The chairman deserves to see a win as well. He'll be seeing the next two games and hopefully the results we pick up will get us moving in the right direction again.

"I believe we've started to move that way.

"We've got to deal with whatever is thrown at us – like Shaun Cummings' injury – in a positive fashion.

"We need to feel positive about ourselves. The fans and the players need to come to the ground on Saturday believing we can win."

The Lions are a point off safety after defeat to Leeds last weekend.

"We weren't bad at all, Leeds are quite a good team and we lost by the odd goal," Holloway added.

"I don't think we look like conceding loads of goals any more and we have to keep building on that.

"We've got 15 games to get one point more than one of the other teams down there – probably two points because our goal difference isn't as good – and that's the challenge.

"I'm really looking forward to it and I'm totally optimistic because our recent performances are making me believe."

Fulham arrive in SE16 after three defeats in their last four and are just five points above Millwall in the table.

"They have got a hangover that comes with being an ex-Premier League team," Holloway added.

"Their new manager is trying to sort out the balance of his squad in terms of who's staying, who's going and the young ones coming through.

"He's going to have his work cut out like all managers do in this division and their expectation is massive. Whatever Kit Symons does, good luck to him – but not this weekend."

http://www.newsatden.co.uk/46292-millwall-boss-eyes-fulham-win-for-fans-and-visiting-chairman.html?

WhiteJC

Grant's Verdict

Fulham Under-21 boss Peter Grant could not hide his pride at his side's comeback against Chelsea on Thursday night.

With the Whites 3-2 down with little over 20 minutes to go against a strong Blues outfit, they were heading out at the Quarter-Final stage of the Premier League International Cup, but a superb fightback secured a 4-3 win.

"It was a great game for people to watch, with two teams that tried to win the game," he told fulhamfc.com. "We were pleased with a lot of aspects. We showed character, guts and determination.

"We didn't defend certain situations like we should but that's part of their development. The big thing was winning at an important time.

"At 3-2 down, the boys dug at it and got stronger as the game went on. We knew we had to see the game out, which we've not always done. That was a big thing for us."

The Scotsman was keen to highlight the importance of character amongst the attributes of a young player looking to make the grade.

He explained: "People ask me what you need. I will always say a good attitude, character and guts and, after that, talent. If they've got it all they're nailed on to make a career in the game."

The Whites now find themselves in the Semi-Finals of a competition that Grant is aiming to win.

"It's important to develop players but it's important to develop how to win, we never fear anyone," he stated. "I tell the players never to give in to that fear factor because you are more than capable of winning games against the supposed bigger sides."

There was more good news as Ryan Williams and Liam Donnelly both came through the 90 minutes after time on the sidelines through injury.

Grant's side now await the Semi-Final draw which is due to be made once all the Quarter-Finals have been completed, with the tie to be played in March.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/20/grants-verdict?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss would take drastic action over racist abuse during a match

Symons proclaims club's 'zero tolerance' stance

Fulham boss Kit Symons would be prepared to substitute any of his black players suffering racist abuse during a match – no matter the cost.

In the light of the ugly events in the Paris Metro courtesy of supposed Chelsea fans this week, the Whites gaffer takes his team to Millwall tomorrow for a vital relegation scrap.

On the attack: Seko Fofana
The Lions have a checkered past when it comes to racist incidents. Two fans in separate cases were taken to court, fined, and banned in 2013 for racist offences.

Fulham left-back Rufus Brevett came in for similar stick the last time the club was at The Den in October 1998.

Incidentally, Symons scored the only goal in that match, and now as boss insists the well-being of Seko Fofana, Moussa Dembele and Jazz Richards comes before anything else.

Den abuse: Rufus Brevett
He said: "We would look to protect our players. That's the most important thing to me. We would report it to the fourth official and make the referee aware of it.

"I would look to go down the correct route, but If someone was on the end of that, (taking them off) would be the right thing to do.

"Everyone would hope racism in football was finished. Fulham has a zero tolerance stance on it, and you probably can't do enough until it was completely stamped out. Whether the authorities are doing enough is up for debate."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-would-take-drastic-8688861?

WhiteJC

Richards' Aldershot Loan

The Club can confirm that Tom Richards has joined Vanarama Conference Premier outfit Aldershot Town on a one-month youth loan deal.

The Shots currently sit 18th in the Conference Premier and are away to Alfreton Town on Saturday afternoon.

Richards has already had a taste of their home stadium, the Recreation Ground, after he came on in Thursday's 4-3 Premier League International Cup Quarter-Final triumph over Chelsea.

It will be his second spell out on loan, after the 20-year-old made 10 appearances for AFC Wimbledon last year.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/february/20/richards-aldershot-loan?

WhiteJC

SHOTS SIGN FULHAM DEFENDER

Aldershot Town have signed Fulham left-back Tom Richards on a youth loan deal until Friday 20 March.

The 20 year-old from Guildford is a regular in The Whites' Under 21 side, having extended his contract for a third year at Craven Cottage, until June 2015. Richards, an attacking left-back with great pace, made 10 appearances whilst on loan at AFC Wimbledon between February and May 2014.

"He can play at left-back, left-midfield or even on the right-wing," explained Chris Barker. "He was one of the names that I had on my list from day one. We've seen him play several times and, in coming from a massive, ex-Premier League club, he'll be good on and off the field. I'm trying to get good pros from bigger clubs who want an opportunity to come and play, and who know how to be a footballer. I don't want to just bring anyone in and hopefully he'll hit the ground running.

"He knows what the lower leagues are about, and he's been playing for Fulham's Under 21 side so his match fitness is good."

Richards will wear shirt number 16 and is available to face Alfreton Town tomorrow.

http://www.theshots.co.uk/shots-sign-fulham-defender/?

WhiteJC

SPURS VS FULHAM U18S - KIERAN'S PREVIEW

Kieran McKenna has urged our Academy players to avoid an FA Youth Cup hangover in Saturday's Barclays Under-18 Premier League clash with Fulham.

We host the Cottagers at the Training Centre – kick-off 11am – off the back of another fine cup performance at Nottingham Forest on Wednesday evening, the 2-1 win we claimed at the City Ground sending us into the competition's semi-finals.

Now, though, our youngsters must refocus on domestic duties, with Under-18s Coach Kieran looking for an improvement on last weekend's league defeat at Reading – a match which also followed directly on from an FA Youth Cup tie.

"It's a game that we need to make sure we approach properly," warned Kieran. "The last performance in the league after a really good FA Youth Cup showing wasn't at an acceptable level so it's really important now that the players who play again after Wednesday night understand that you've got to be able to play two or more games in a week and perform at a consistent level.

"It's up to the boys to approach the game well and put on a performance matching what they produced on Wednesday night, while it's up to those who didn't play at Forest to come into the side and make an impression."

Having emerged victorious by the odd goal in five at Fulham's Motspur Park earlier in the season, Kieran expects another tight contest in the reverse fixture this weekend.

"We had a couple of cracking games last year and we had a very competitive match earlier in the season where we won 3-2, so we know them quite well," he added. "It's another London derby and another game that we're looking forward to."

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/u18-fulham-home-preview-200215/?

WhiteJC

Now Shots Bring in Richards on Loan

Vanarama Conference club Aldershot Town have....

....made their second loan signing of the day by bringing in defender Tom Richards from Sky Bet Championship side Fulham.

Having played Sunday League football up until the start of the 2011/12 season, Richards is somewhat of a late developer.

That said, the 20-year-old appears to be making up for lost time and signed his first professional contract with Fulham until 30th June 2014, but Fulham took up an option to extend his contract for a further twelve months.

The left-back spent time on loan at AFC Wimbledon during the 2013/14 season, making his League debut and going on to play ten times for the Dons and he also made sixteen appearances for Fulham's under-21s.

Richards joins Rochdale loanee Sean McGinty in the Shots` squad for tomorrow`s game at Alfreton Town.

Steve Whitney

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/news/details.php?news_id=14624