News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

It took losing 4 league games to realize 5 CB's in first XI wasn't working?

Started by Cornnolio, February 01, 2010, 04:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornnolio

(Hange, Smalling, Hughes, Baird and Kelly).

Hughes is a good CB but is worthless at FB.  And Kelly is so timid he makes Hughes look like Maicon!  He should be moved to CB immediately.

Just ridiculous that we tried to cover for the loss of Pantsil and Konch with 2 CB's.  We should have done something much sooner.  Why sell Smalling, (our best young player), but keep him when we have depth at CB and nobody at FB?  We lost 4 straight league games before getting even one replacement at FB! 

bobby01

If Stoor and Kallio could not get a game how poorly must Roy think of them, not forgetting he signed them.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

dancrawford

For a start, Baird's had a storming season in central midfield and deserves to stay there.

Hughes isn't worthless at right back. Think he did alright considering - and he's played there for the best part of a season with two other Premier League clubs.

Kelly's not a left back. He's doing his best out there, but it's unfair to judge someone playing out of position for the benefit of the team.

I personally think playing the four centre backs across the back at Spurs was a subtle nod to the board to release some funds or get a move on in bringing people in. Harsh to blame Hodgson when he wouldn't have been the one authorising the Smalling sale.

os5889

Quote from: dancrawford on February 02, 2010, 10:29:27 AM
For a start, Baird's had a storming season in central midfield and deserves to stay there.

Hughes isn't worthless at right back. Think he did alright considering - and he's played there for the best part of a season with two other Premier League clubs.

Kelly's not a left back. He's doing his best out there, but it's unfair to judge someone playing out of position for the benefit of the team.

I personally think playing the four centre backs across the back at Spurs was a subtle nod to the board to release some funds or get a move on in bringing people in. Harsh to blame Hodgson when he wouldn't have been the one authorising the Smalling sale.

spot on sir, we can all remember the treatment baird got playing RB and his performances were poor. a player spends years trying to master their position and it must be difficult to just slot into a new role.

that said, kelly is still a mercenary in my mind and it will take a lot of effort from him to change those thoughts.

Scrumpy

Cornnolio - a bit harsh on Hodgson I think >:(.

The first time that Kelly and Kalio, the 2 'back up' full backs played together was against Accrington. 1 game later (Spurs) and Hodgson had already realised that they're not quite up to the standards we need and made the necessary changes. He tweeked things on Saturday against Villa and things still weren't great. So he brought in new blood on Monday. I'd say that's reasonably quick progress.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.