watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Listening to GJ's commentary compared to watching live or on TV

Started by horse1031, February 23, 2015, 02:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horse1031

Every game that I listen to GJ's commentary I always get the sense that we have either played really good or really bad.  After watching the full game replay I always come to a different conclusion compared to what is conveyed on the audio.  Many games we have played much better than what GJ and Sean have let on.

My challenge to all of us fans is to watch the full game replay and then respond to that on this board.  I am sure that many of you do that but wanted to make this known.  There should have been goals from both sides in the Millwall game.  We need to start finishing our chances!

Now, I do like GJ and he is a Fulham legend but everyone needs to take a look.

dannyboi-ffc

Made a thread about him recently.  I listened to him against Blackburn away and it will be the only time I ever listen to him again.

Nothing against the guy but I found the commentary amateurish and impossible to understand what was actually happening. Quite a character though so long may it continue.

I'm just lucky I go to virtually every home and away game so I don't rely on the replay either.  But the replay is definitely the way to go if you can't make the game
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

you lucky people

you have to love GJ, he commentates a Fan watches, not balanced at all, I like it and actually prefer his style listening to Fulham
'Remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean, cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.'

grandad

Listening to GJ is like sitting next to your best mate at a game. I can´t afford to fly over from Spain too often so GJ is my lifeline.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Tooting legend

I listen to GJ on match days but have to be honest he is totally biased towards Fulham during the game, if you watch a live game  and listen to GJ you would think that your listening to 2 different games. But in all fairness he doesn't have to do it but turns up at every game, but I agree with the post you dot get a true reflection of the game far from it.

St Eve

Jonaldiniho 88

I used to find GJ hard to listen to but after spending time abroad he was my only option and now I love listening to him. If there is radio commentary and Jim, jim gets the nod. Biased? Never

Southcoastffc

Biased? Of course he is!  And long may it/he continue.  If you want vanilla or impartial he's not for you but for Fulham Heart On Sleeve, GJ's your man.    049:gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Logicalman

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on February 23, 2015, 02:40:31 PM
Made a thread about him recently.  I listened to him against Blackburn away and it will be the only time I ever listen to him again.

Nothing against the guy but I found the commentary amateurish and impossible to understand what was actually happening. Quite a character though so long may it continue.

I'm just lucky I go to virtually every home and away game so I don't rely on the replay either.  But the replay is definitely the way to go if you can't make the game

Dannyboi, you have to remember 2 things when listening to Jim:

1. He is NOT a professional commentator as such
2. He is totally committed to Fulham

Bearing that in mind mate, then you will obviously have very biased comments being made and, as someone else on here has pointed out, its like sitting next to your mate at the match whilst wearing blinkers and relying on his own take on the game.

Personally, I find Jim more professional than Ian Darke ever was, at least Jim pins his colours up there for everyone to see, whereas people like Darke are so biased towards the Liverpool and Man Uniteds of this planet they cannot see how poor their commentary really is.

If the club ever replaced Jim, then I wouldn't bother listening any longer.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Southcoastffc on February 23, 2015, 06:13:12 PM
Biased? Of course he is!  And long may it/he continue.  If you want vanilla or impartial he's not for you but for Fulham Heart On Sleeve, GJ's your man.    049:gif

:plus one:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Logicalman on February 23, 2015, 06:29:20 PM

Bearing that in mind mate, then you will obviously have very biased comments being made and, as someone else on here has pointed out, its like sitting next to your mate at the match whilst wearing blinkers and relying on his own take on the game.

Personally, I find Jim more professional than Ian Darke ever was, at least Jim pins his colours up there for everyone to see, whereas people like Darke are so biased towards the Liverpool and Man Uniteds of this planet they cannot see how poor their commentary really is.

But I don't want biased, I want to know what's going on. It doesn't really matter anyway because I'll never have to worry about that again. I hope the club keep it going because he's very popular and important for you guys overseas. It's just not for me
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Logicalman

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on February 23, 2015, 07:59:20 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on February 23, 2015, 06:29:20 PM

But I don't want biased, I want to know what's going on. It doesn't really matter anyway because I'll never have to worry about that again. I hope the club keep it going because he's very popular and important for you guys overseas. It's just not for me

Yeah, point taken mate, depends on what you want, though I would contest unfortunately there are very few truly impartial commentaters out there, though Jim is, mebbe, a little less impartial than most !!  ha ha  :005:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

robert

For me listening from Russia to the Gent has been great.Indeed,even when I did eventually work out how to use my computer to see the match live it took me a long time to give Jim up completely.I did about 3 years ago but now that we no longer seem to get any streams at all its good to go back to Jim.Just a pity that of late there has been very little of Fulhamto get excited about!!!

Logicalman

Quote from: robert on February 23, 2015, 08:18:28 PM
For me listening from Russia to the Gent has been great.Indeed,even when I did eventually work out how to use my computer to see the match live it took me a long time to give Jim up completely.I did about 3 years ago but now that we no longer seem to get any streams at all its good to go back to Jim.Just a pity that of late there has been very little of Fulhamto get excited about!!!

Except to bet on how long it takes him to say "we're not getting any replays"  :005:  Did you notice he said it BEFORE the game this past weekend?

Black, White and Fred

I think the problem is and I am sure some will agree is that even when we are playing well as a true fan you get frustrated when the team isn't clinical or creating enough. I have often left a game where I am moaning throughout only to think after that we actually played quite well.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

RaySmith

As said -Jim is a lifeline when you can't get to games, for whatever reason, especially now that there are few live feeds.

Yes, he does come across as your Fulham supporting mate, but I actually think he tries hard to be unbiased, but in moments of emotion, or when things aren't going well for the club, the true fan comes through in a fan's cry at an opponent rolling on the floor when  he's hardly been touched 'get up you********', or similar, and I love that.

I'd far rather listen to Jim, now ably assisted at home games by Fulham legend Sean Davies, than the  Alan Greens, Mark Pugatchs, Lawros and Stan Collymores of this world-or indeed any highly paid, top Prem team  favouring 'pro' commentator, who  now seems 'vanilla', if it's a Fulham game, as someone said.

I actually think Jim has improved with experience, and is less biased than before, and tries hard not to be. He calls it as he sees it, and is not scared to say if the team are  performing poorly.

Yes, I love the aptly named 'Gentleman' - a true fan, who bleeds Fulham, and is a real good bloke, who wears his Fulham loving heart on his sleeve, in this cold hearted, cynical world- and provides an essential service to Fulham fans everywhere.

Long live Gentleman Jim!!!!!!!!!

Holders

I enjoy Jim and have got used to and thoroughly enjoy his little peculiarities.

I loved "No-one can ever accuse me of being biased".

What amuses me is to listen out to when he's being really tactful - i.e. he never openly criticises the manager (and only obliquely after they've been sacked) or the club, whatever he really thinks but I like to imagine what he's thinking "between the lines". He's absolutely professional about that.

I don't think I could imagine listening to anyone else if I can't get to a game.

I loved "bright yellow shirt, shorts and socks - there you are" (as if to say have a drink on me).
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

Yes - Jim would never openly criticise the manager, club or individual players -but he gives definite intimations of what he really thinks if you listen closely.

Jim does have a professional attitude towards his job, and his responsibilities - when has Jim ever missed a game through being sick for example?

As well as driving miles to games in all weathers, midweek and holiday periods, and whatever the fixture list throws at us, and always remains upbeat, and focussing calmly on the task at hand, although sometimes he must feel really p'd off, especially at some of the things that have gone on in the club in recent years.

Logicalman

Good point Holders, apart from the 'replays' one of his other penchants is to describe what colour kit the keepers are wearing. Classic.

ffccaz

Love listening to Gentleman Jim hearing what colours the teams are wearing is brilliant  064.gif Looking forward to tuning in tonight