https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Greece: Government suspends professional football after violence

Started by Roberty, February 25, 2015, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberty

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Greek

Not before the end of the season, its only a one week suspension.

MJG

Would need lge to be completely suspended and finished for the season,  then I suspect UEFA would need to sanction any returning loanees playing for their parent club.

Burt

The Greek government has suspended professional football in the country indefinitely.

The suspension follows violence at Sunday's Super League match between Olympiakos and Panathinaikos, as well as a brawl between club officials at a board meeting on Tuesday.

The league has already been suspended twice this season - in September and November - because of violence.

Newly-elected ruling party Syriza have pledged to stamp out the problem.

The suspension affects the country's top three divisions.

"We have a new government who are looking to bring this subject up for discussion and implement state laws related to it," said Super League president Giorgos Borovilos.

"The government wants games to start again as soon as possible, but for that they want to see immediate reactions from all of us."

Fans hurled flares, rocks and bottles at officials during Panathinaikos's 2-1 victory  over leaders Olympiakos.

An executive meeting of Super League officials was then called off after a Panathinaikos official claimed he had been punched by Olympiakos security personnel.

The two Athens clubs are known as the 'eternal enemies' and share a fierce rivalry.

This season's first suspension was caused by the death of a fan after clashes between supporters of third-division teams Ethnikos Piraeus and Irodotos.

The second sanction followed an assault on the assistant director of the refereeing committee.

Greek football journalist Panos Polyzoidis, who was at the Panathinaikos-Olympiakos match, told BBC Radio 5 live: "We saw things that are not unseen before in Greek football.

"Flares were thrown at visiting players, but there were a couple of provocative moves by the guest team, Olympiakos. Their chairman and manager went towards the stand and made some gestures inviting people to invade the pitch, and they did, about 20 of people, that lasted for five to 10 minutes.

"It is difficult to say [how long it will last]. The league was recently suspended, but this decision indicates the government's inability to come up with concrete measures to tackle the problem.

"It will make no difference to fans' behaviour. Football-related violence has been going on 30 or 40 years and the state has not taken any systematic measures to tackle problem."

Greek

Quote from: Burt on February 25, 2015, 06:42:07 PM

Greek football journalist Panos Polyzoidis, who was at the Panathinaikos-Olympiakos match, told BBC Radio 5 live: "We saw things that are not unseen before in Greek football.

"Flares were thrown at visiting players, but there were a couple of provocative moves by the guest team, Olympiakos. Their chairman and manager went towards the stand and made some gestures inviting people to invade the pitch, and they did, about 20 of people, that lasted for five to 10 minutes.

"It is difficult to say [how long it will last]. The league was recently suspended, but this decision indicates the government's inability to come up with concrete measures to tackle the problem.

"It will make no difference to fans' behaviour. Football-related violence has been going on 30 or 40 years and the state has not taken any systematic measures to tackle problem."

What an interesting freak this gentleman is. Vitor Pereira, who has only recently become Olympiacos manager goes to each end of the pitch and touches the nets 20 mins before every game. He does this at home games, in our European game against Kiev last week..

there is no provocation. The Vazelos raided the pitch and tried to murder him. They have done this countless times, even directed at their own players in 2010 against Volos. They chased their own players down the tunnel and attacked them. They also attacked the VIP section.

Here is the Gate 13 fans trying to get hold of Vitor Pereira to murder him on Sunday:

click here for murder attempt

These are the fans who chased him attacking the police moments later:

copthornemike

Thanks for the pics.

Haven't seen a night like that down at the Cottage since the evening match we had against that Polish team (Wisla Krakow if I recall correctly)  in the Europa Cup when their fans started letting off quite a few flares !  :handbags:

Greek

Greeks are the masters of that, but they also are very keen on old school hooliganism. Many worship the memory of the UK hooligans in the 1980s. It is not uncommon to see many British flags at Greek games, even Millwall banners... etc...

Anyways, they certainly know how to put on a show.. some pics to give you an idea of Sunday..

cmg

You can't say it's not spectacular.

Are the green bombs for Panathaniakos and the red ones for Olympiacos?

The green, white and gold - second from bottom - would go down well at Celtic Park.

Logicalman

Gotta be thankful no Greek teams left in the Europa then. That could be a little embarrassing.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Greek

Quote from: cmg on February 25, 2015, 08:24:36 PM

The green, white and gold - second from bottom - would go down well at Celtic Park.

Heya cmg.

No they are all Gate 13, away fans have been banned among the big clubs for many years now. No Olympiacos fans has stepped foot in that hole for years and years. The only time you see the fans at the same game is in cup final games, semi finals etc... where they play in the massive OAKA and there is like 200 seats between fans for security..

Olympiacos, PAOK, AEK and Aris make spectacular atmospheres...

Here is Aris welcoming Boca:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piPrkoQFVqo

However usually, Aris also have yellow smoke bombs..

At Olympiacos you see more red... PAOK more white flares etc...

Olympiacos:

Greek

Quote from: Logicalman on February 25, 2015, 08:35:09 PM
Gotta be thankful no Greek teams left in the Europa then. That could be a little embarrassing.

Olympiacos are still in the Europa league.. at least for another few hours..

Logicalman

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: Greek on February 25, 2015, 08:40:34 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on February 25, 2015, 08:35:09 PM

Olympiacos are still in the Europa league.. at least for another few hours..

I thought they just lost 2-0

Greek

Last week was the first leg. Mitroglou scored a legitimate goal in extra time that was ruled out..

Nick Bateman

I think Mitroglou is a very good player, not worth £11m but very good.  He was injured and left out by the idiot German we had in charge, but I dare say he would do a better job leading the line than Rod Laver, who is pretty poor at doing that.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

King_Crud

I watched the final of the 2009 Greek Cup by chance, walking past a Greek restaurant in Paddington. At the ground there were no fans on the sidelines, only at each end, because they had to be kept so far apart.

The game ended 4-4 went to penalties, which was 15-14. Madness!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Greek_Cup

Greek

:plus one: I was in that bar! On Moscow Road?

That was one of the best greek games I have seen in my life. Was a real classic.
Matt Derbyshire became a folk hero because of that game!  

We have AEK in the cup quarters at the OAKA on the 11th. First game was 1-1 at the Karaiskaki. They will probably fill the place with over 55k fans.. Should be a hot game indeed. They have a their old billionaire owner back and they have some good players.. If they win the cup, they will get into the Europa Cup quals.. but, they are still serving their 3 year ban for European competition....

callumc513

copthornemike

Quote from: Greek on February 25, 2015, 08:36:29 PM
Quote from: cmg on February 25, 2015, 08:24:36 PM

Heya cmg.

No they are all Gate 13, away fans have been banned among the big clubs for many years now. No Olympiacos fans has stepped foot in that hole for years and years. The only time you see the fans at the same game is in cup final games, semi finals etc... where they play in the massive OAKA and there is like 200 seats between fans for security..

Olympiacos, PAOK, AEK and Aris make spectacular atmospheres...

Here is Aris welcoming Boca:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piPrkoQFVqo

However usually, Aris also have yellow smoke bombs..

At Olympiacos you see more red... PAOK more white flares etc...

Olympiacos:

Do Greek clubs have a Health and Safety Department?

King_Crud

Quote from: Greek on February 25, 2015, 10:35:45 PM
:plus one: I was in that bar! On Moscow Road?

Not sure, I went for a pint with a mate, we came out the front to drink it and saw all these people looking through the window of the Greek restaurant next door, ended up watching most of it, stayed until the end.