more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Three reasons the 1975 Cup Final was unique

Started by Holders, May 30, 2015, 08:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

1. The obvious.
2. It's the last one where all the players were from the home nations or Ireland.
3. It's the only cup final that "Abide with Me" hasn't been sung.

Any others?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

Fulham are and will always be the team that played the most games to get to a FA cup final. Now they have scrapped replay after replay it will never be beaten.

Going off subject but Fulham also hold and always will hold the record bar something extraordinary the record amount of games to make the Europa League final too.

Pretty incredible for little old Fulham really. We have a lot more heritage than others give us credit for. Good post holders!

You could say we are the HOLDERS of two unique records lol   :Get Coat gif:
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

Good point on the number of games taken to reach the final. Another claim to fame (though not FA cup related) is that we were the first team to play a FL match on a Sunday - and that will never be beaten either.

We have all the heritage (oldest team in London etc) but nothing to show for it!

Ged

https://youtu.be/4qbHohM1rfY
Not only the first club but the first place in Britain to sell Hotdogs

gang

I believe we played in the first match to have to use goal line technology to decide if the ball had crossed the line.

gang

LBNo11

...the Fulham team had to play with black painted boots because of a legal wrangle with a boot sponsor...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

cmg

Quote from: LBNo11 on May 30, 2015, 10:15:12 AM
...the Fulham team had to play with black painted boots because of a legal wrangle with a boot sponsor...

Yes. I think the story was that, at the start of the season, the season signed a deal, probably for peanuts, to wear Stylo boots. The pre-season team photo shows them all neatly turned out in Stylo footwear. During the season the players all went back to wearing their usual boots.
When, generally unexpectedly, we reached the Cup final then some decent bucks were on offer and whoever was in charge of the players' pool signed a deal with Adidas, probably having forgotten all about Stylo. Stylo took legal umbrage and the players were forced to black out the Adidas stripes. Mooro talks in his book about the black spray can being passed around the Wembley dressing room.
Good old Fulham - big pay day and they couldn't collect.

spikey norman

I wouldn't be too surprised if we were the only team to have forgotten to bring shin pads for the match and then having to send someone to Wembley High Street to go and buy some.
On a different note the build up to the match (and other cup finals at the time) was far better than it is now.
Teams appearing on Top of the Pops singing their songs,the Friday night  pre Cup Final preview on telly,getting  up early in the morning as a young kid and being able to watch the build up on both ITV and BBC with live interviews on the team bus and who could forget It's a Knockout of celebrity fans and ex players representing the cup final teams playing that year.
I remember watching the Fulham v West Ham It's a Knockout but not the result or who represented Fulham that day.Did anyone else see it and did the team ever sing Viva El Fulham on Top of the Pops?
Long time ago and just can't remember.

BestOfBrede

You're right it was a long time ago, and so I may be wrong in what I remember it being unique for....
2 nutmeg goals

Sickening!

I've never gotten over it and never watched it again since - bit like Europa really, I just can't seem to watch it again.

colinwhite

We were the first club in the league to print colour pictures in our home programmes . 1967,
Wasnt Allan clarke the first player to be sold for over 100000 pounds? and the maestro was the first 100 pounds week player . Not FA cup `75 related .
Seeing the lads from 75  on the official brought a tear to my eyes .First time Ive ever seen Les interviewed on film . I was standing behind the goal at hillsborough for mitch´s goal . What a strike !

nose

Quote from: Holders on May 30, 2015, 09:05:23 AM
Good point on the number of games taken to reach the final. Another claim to fame (though not FA cup related) is that we were the first team to play a FL match on a Sunday - and that will never be beaten either.

We have all the heritage (oldest team in London etc) but nothing to show for it!

i do not wish to appear a clever dick... BUT we are not the only club to be the first to play a FL match on a Sunday, I suspect we share that honour with another team.

St Eve

Ged

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 31, 2015, 09:09:26 AM
Quote from: nose on May 30, 2015, 10:03:58 PM

i do not wish to appear a clever dick... BUT we are not the only club to be the first to play a FL match on a Sunday, I suspect we share that honour with another team.

I may be wrong, but I think the other team was Millwall.
The first game on a Sunday was a FA Cup game Cambridge v Oldham
Two weeks later the first league game was Millwall v Fulham

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: BestOfBrede on May 30, 2015, 09:55:53 PM
You're right it was a long time ago, and so I may be wrong in what I remember it being unique for....
2 nutmeg goals

Sickening!

I've never gotten over it and never watched it again since - bit like Europa really, I just can't seem to watch it again.
Was that when after the match Peter Mellor said to Alec Stock "Sorry boss, I should have kept my legs shut" & Alec replied, "It's ok Peter, but maybe your mother should have"! ??
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Holders

Quote from: nose on May 30, 2015, 10:03:58 PM

It was Fulham who kicked off.

Bill2

Quote from: Holders on May 30, 2015, 08:29:59 AM
1. The obvious.
2. It's the last one where all the players were from the home nations or Ireland.

Any others?
I was wondering about No 3 as I don't recall singing it then, why was it not sung and why did the BBC not mention it?

Holders

Quote from: Bill2 on May 31, 2015, 12:50:28 PM
Quote from: Holders on May 30, 2015, 08:29:59 AM
1. The obvious.

Any others?
I was wondering about No 3 as I don't recall singing it then, why was it not sung and why did the BBC not mention it?

I have no idea why it wasn't sung, just that it was mentioned in the run-up to the game that it wouldn't be sung "for the first time". Whether that is the first time since the first cup final or the first time since they started singing it, I don't know. I also can't help you as to why the BBC didn't mention it. Indeed, I've never been able to bring myself to watch a recording of the game.

If you're at the game you can't hear anything at all - Abide with Me or anything; there was a band marching up and down banging drums etc but I couldn't hear a thing.