News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - What was the first song you remember your parents ever playing?

Started by Admin, February 28, 2015, 07:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Bit of a strange topic this after the Derby win, but as a youngster, what was one of the first pieces of music you first remember your parents ever playing? My old man was into some weird old stuff back then, listened to some band called the Gong, but remember this these couple of tracks

Mike Oldfield - Moonlight Shadow ft. Maggie Reilly
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e80qhyovOnA

Kool & The Gang - Fresh
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ1XwGDcA4

Mince n Tatties

Dont Sleep In The Subway Darling..Petula Clark.
My Dad had a thing about her..

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

MasterHaynes

My dad, being welsh was a bit of a crooner always singing along when they came on the radio or when he played the record.The two I remember him constantly singing were Jim Reeves - I Love You Because and Matt Monroe - Portrait of my Love , both oldies but Classics of their time

HV71

Trumpet a gogo - James Last and the Black and White Minstrels Greatest Hits
Wow - those were the days ( no ref Mary Hopkins )

tommy

Scrumpy

Good question. My Dad had a serious crush on Sandy Shaw so 'puppet on a string' got plenty of plays.

My Mum had some sort of fling with (all or some of) Chris Barber's Jazz Band before she met my Dad. Funnily enough, they never got played!!!  fp.gif
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

King_Crud

it was Dueling Banjos, or this. Which I still rate as one of my favorite songs ever and will be played at my funeral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4Fgh0KW_4

Berserker

My dad was a semi pro musician and used to play with his band 5 nights a week for dances. Our house was full of sheet music and he used to play all the stuff that was popular for his jobs. His real love was big band music so he used to listen to stuff like Glenn Miller, also Trad Jazz. He also liked Beethoven, Bach, Gregg etc. And played it himself as well as listened to records.
I can't remember which was the first record as from a baby my life was full of music.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

FPT

My earliest memories seem to be Stan - Eminem and Dido or Torn by Natalie Imbruglia.

By the way, that's first songs I remember, not what my parents actually played me. Recall hearing Stan in the car, I must've been 5 or 6.

Scrumpy

Quote from: FPT on February 28, 2015, 10:59:07 PM
My earliest memories seem to be Stan - Eminem and Dido or Torn by Natalie Imbruglia.

By the way, that's first songs I remember, not what my parents actually played me. Recall hearing Stan in the car, I must've been 5 or 6.

Whenever I hear 'torn' I think of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8AggJ3_Xf0
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Admin

Quote from: LBNo11 on February 28, 2015, 11:27:08 PM
...nothing wrong with Gong or Kevin Ayers, great stuff...

I remember him having Gong on cassett tapes, not sure if they were recordings, but they had blue stickers with moons on? Anyway, it was was very 'trippy' music for my liking..

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

We'll on this happy day with a fantastic 2-0 victory over our detested nemesis Derby........

My dad loved "My Boy Lillipop" by Millie

COYW!

Lighthouse

My Mum met Glenn Miller in the back of a Taxi during the War. Sadly his plane went missing soon after.  Anyway I was brought up on 40s and 50s and Nat King Cole etc.

Anyway the first record was probably Mr Piano Henderson or The Black and White Minstrels or some such.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jonaldiniho 88

No milk today. Herman's hermits. Still love that song. Brings it all back. Car journeys to the grandparents.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: King_Crud on February 28, 2015, 10:36:59 PM
it was Dueling Banjos, or this. Which I still rate as one of my favorite songs ever and will be played at my funeral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4Fgh0KW_4

I'm an rubbish banjo player but that is what I'm learning. Maybe I will post a video on here when I perfect it. Great tune and incredible musicianship.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 28, 2015, 11:05:27 PM
Quote from: FPT on February 28, 2015, 10:59:07 PM

Whenever I hear 'torn' I think of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8AggJ3_Xf0

Is it just me or does torn look a lot like TOM. I had to double take that post as Natalie imbruglia is someone I admire. Not for her music