more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff 14/03/15

Started by Admin, March 14, 2015, 07:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Result: Matt Smith earns Fulham a 1-1 draw at Sheffield Wednesday

Fulham have rescued a 1-1 draw away at Sheffield Wednesday, thanks to a Matt Smith strike.

After a sluggish start to the game, both sides started to create chances as Fulham's Ross McCormack and Wednesday's Claude Dielna both shot over the bar from good positions.

McCormack had another shot from long-range that went wide, before Wednesday striker Chris Maguire tested Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli at his near post.

Steve May missed the best chance of the half in the final minute, as he failed to convert Atdhe Nuhiu's knock down in the box.

May made sure that he didn't make the same mistake with his next opportunity, as he headed in Lewis McGugan's cross in the 55th minute to give his side the lead.

Wednesday looked to take advantage of their momentum, but Bettinelli denied both Marnick Vermijl from distance and Tom Lees from close range.

The Fulham keeper was having a fine game, as minutes later he flipped a powerful Nuhiu header over the bar from another threatening McGugan cross.

The away side then grabbed an equaliser, as Ryan Tunnicliffe found Smith in the box and he lashed a volley into the net from close range.

Both teams came close to a winner, as McCormack and Smith had shots saved for Fulham and Diela missed by an inch for Wednesday, but ultimately the points were shared.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/result/result-smith-snatches-fulham-a-point_211193.html

Admin

Smith snatches point for Fulham

Matt Smith equalised 15 minutes from time as struggling Fulham battled to a 1-1 draw at mid-table Sheffield Wednesday in the Sky Bet Championship.

The striker flicked in via the underside of the crossbar for his second in two games to cancel out Stevie May's 55th-minute header at Hillsborough.

In an uneventful first half, Fulham striker Ross McCormack was twice off target with wayward efforts from long range.

Wednesday winger Chris Maguire had the game's first effort of note when his 20-yard drive was palmed away by diving Cottagers goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli in the 21st minute.

Owls captain Tom Lees had to be alert two minutes before the break when a long free-kick into the box almost dropped to the feet of Fulham debutant Michael Turner.

The home side should have taken the lead in the first of six minutes of stoppage time added on following injuries which forced off Owls' pair Liam Palmer and Will Keane.

Jeremy Helan's cross from the left was nodded down by Austrian striker Atdhe Nuhiu to unmarked substitute May but the Scotland international sliced his effort into the arms of Bettinelli.

Striker May, who replaced Keane, saw a volley blocked behind for a corner before putting the hosts ahead from the resultant set-piece in the 55th minute.

Lewis McGugan's initial kick was returned to the on-loan Watford midfielder and his curling, left-footed cross was flicked into the left corner by May's head.

Nuhiu then narrowly failed to convert from close range when another McGugan corner was headed to the back post by defender Lees.

Wednesday substitute Marnick Vermijl, a first-half replacement for Palmer, tested Bettinelli in the 61st minute with a low shot from the right corner of the box as the hosts continued to press for a second.

Fulham's Tim Hoogland went close to an equaliser when his powerful half-volley from the edge of the box flew towards goal before it was bravely blocked by the head of Claude Dielna.

Smith, in his third game back at Fulham following a loan spell at Bristol City, then finished substitute Cauley Woodrow's centre to level the contest.

Fulham began to have the upper hand and Smith was denied by Owls keeper Keiren Westwood after being played through by captain Scott Parker before Kostas Stafylidis lifted the rebound over.

McCormack threatened a winner when his 20-yard free-kick hit the roof of the net five minutes from time before Nuhiu struck the top of the bar at the other end, although he was flagged for offside.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/match/395308/sheffield-wednesday-fulham/report

Admin

Smith salvages draw for Fulham

Matt Smith equalised 15 minutes from time as struggling Fulham battled to a 1-1 draw at mid-table Sheffield Wednesday in the Sky Bet Championship.

The striker flicked in via the underside of the crossbar for his second in two games to cancel out Stevie May's 55th-minute header at Hillsborough.

In an uneventful first half, Fulham striker Ross McCormack was twice off target with wayward efforts from long range.

Wednesday winger Chris Maguire had the game's first effort of note when his 20-yard drive was palmed away by diving Cottagers goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli in the 21st minute.

Owls captain Tom Lees had to be alert two minutes before the break when a long free-kick into the box almost dropped to the feet of Fulham debutant Michael Turner.

The home side should have taken the lead in the first of six minutes of stoppage time added on following injuries which forced off Owls' pair Liam Palmer and Will Keane.

Jeremy Helan's cross from the left was nodded down by Austrian striker Atdhe Nuhiu to unmarked substitute May but the Scotland international sliced his effort into the arms of Bettinelli.

Striker May, who replaced Keane, saw a volley blocked behind for a corner before putting the hosts ahead from the resultant set piece in the 55th minute.

Lewis McGugan's initial kick was returned to the on-loan Watford midfielder and his curling, left-footed cross was flicked into the left corner by May's head.

Nuhiu then narrowly failed to convert from close range when another McGugan corner was headed to the back post by defender Lees.

Wednesday substitute Marnick Vermijl, a first-half replacement for Palmer, tested Bettinelli in the 61st minute with a low shot from the right corner of the box as the hosts continued to press for a second.

Fulham's Tim Hoogland went close to an equaliser when his powerful half-volley from the edge of the box flew towards goal before it was bravely blocked by the head of Claude Dielna.

Smith, in his third game back at Fulham following a loan spell at Bristol City, then finished substitute Cauley Woodrow's centre to level the contest.

Fulham began to have the upper hand and Smith was denied by Owls keeper Keiren Westwood after being played through by captain Scott Parker before Kostas Stafylidis lifted the rebound over.

McCormack threatened a winner when his 20-yard free-kick hit the roof of the net five minutes from time before Nuhiu struck the top of the bar at the other end, although he was flagged for offside.

http://www.teamtalk.com/sheffield-wednesday/9759331/-

Admin

Smith strike earns draw for Fulham

Sheffield Wednesday 1 Fulham 1

Matt Smith scored his second goal in two games as Fulham fought back to earn a draw at Hillsborough.

Smith stabbed the ball home to cancel out Sheffield Wednesday substitute Stevie May's 55th-minute header, but the Whites remain only six points above the Championship relegation zone following Wigan's win at Rotherham.

After a poor first half characterised by mistakes on the worn-out pitch, both teams had chances to win in the closing stages.

Atdhe Nuhiu struck the crossbar but was ruled offside and home keeper Keiren Westwood saved well from Smith.

An uneventful first half featured only one shot on target between the teams, when Owls winger Chris Maguire cut in and unleashed a low shot that Marcus Bettinelli palmed away.

The game sparked into life when substitute May's glancing header from a Lewis McGugan cross put Wednesday ahead.

Nuhiu then almost doubled the lead when he headed straight at Betinelli following a corner.

The Whites tried to find a way back into the match as Tim Hoogland, operating in a wide midfield role, struck a half-volley that looked to be going in until Claude Dielna bravely intervened.

And their pressure paid off with 15 minutes to go when Smith's close-range flick crossed the line off the underside of the bar following good work from Ryan Tunnicliffe.

With both teams pushing for a winner in the last 10 minutes, the game opened up in the midfield but Fulham wasted several good opportunities.

Smith went through on goal but Westwood closed him down quickly and McCormack went close with a free-kick on the edge of the box.

But Wednesday held out to ensure Fulham's winless away streak stretched to eight matches.

Fulham: Bettinelli; Richards, Turner, Hutchinson, Stafylidis; Hoogland (Woodrow 69), Parker, Tunnicliffe, Kavanagh (Fofana 70); Smith, McCormack.
Subs not used: Kiraly, Bodurov, Roberts, Rodallega, Grimmer.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/smith-strike-earns-draw-for-fulham

Admin

Wednesday In Pictures

See the best action shots from Hillsborough as the Whites rallied late on clinch a well-deserved point.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/march/14/wednesday-in-pictures

Admin

Gray frustrated by Fulham goal

Sheffield Wednesday head coach Stuart Gray claimed his side should have been awarded a free-kick for diving in the build up to Fulham's equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Hillsborough.

Cottagers midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe went down in the Wednesday box before poking the ball to goalscorer Matt Smith in the 75th minute.

The goal cancelled out a 55th-minute header from Owls substitute Stevie May.

Gray said: "I think the referee shouted 'play on' because he presumed the lad had dived.

"That's what the lads are saying so if he thought he dived you would have thought he'd have pulled up and given us a free-kick.

"You're taught as kid, you play until the whistle goes and we did seem to stop. I'm disappointed that the referee didn't give a free-kick for simulation but at the end of the day you've got to play until you hear the whistle go.

"The game wasn't one for the purists. The most important thing is probably getting to the 50-point mark, that's probably the only positive to have come out of the game. It was a poor game.

"The game wasn't conducive for football. It became an open game, we attacked, they attacked, but the pitch didn't allow for any real quality in the game."

Fulham manager Kit Symons was unsure about Tunnicliffe's tumble but was pleased with the impact of his substitutions.

"I was appealing for it (a penalty) as you would imagine but, listen, either way I was just pleased to have got the goal in the end," he said.

"I thought it was a good break from us actually, good build-up play. They were appealing for offside against Matt but I spoke to some of their guys afterwards and they were quite happy that he was onside in the end.

"We were a goal down away from home and we needed to get something out of it so I had to make positive substitutions and act quite early and that's what we did and it paid off on the day. It doesn't always work like that, trust me.

"We knew about the state of the pitch coming into it. I spoke to Stuart about it before the game and I said to our players it's not an excuse. It's a factor and it needs to be played accordingly but it's the same for both sides. It is what it is and you get on with it."

http://www.football365.com/championship/9759632/Stuart-Gray-admits-frustration-at-Fulham-equaliser-v-Sheffield-Wednesday

Admin

Fulham McCormack not leaving Fulham – Symons

Boss Kit Symons has ruled out the exit of Fulham frontman Ross McCormack amid reports of a loan move away from Craven Cottage.

The Scot's form has been one of the few positives of the Whites' below-par season in the Championship, with 12 goals and nine assists so far in his first season at the club.

"There will always be an interest in a Ross McCormack-type player," Symons said.

"But there's nothing clear-cut and he won't be going anywhere.

"We certainly won't let him go out on loan. Since he's joined the football club he's worked his socks off, which is why our fans love him so much."

McCormack had several chances in Fulham's 1-1 draw at Sheffield Wednesday and was involved in the build-up to Matt Smith's controversial equaliser.

There were questions of offside as Smith stabbed home from close range and Sheffield players believed that Ryan Tunnicliffe went down in the box too easily beforehand.

Asked whether he thought it was a penalty, Symons replied: "I was appealing for it, but I was pleased to get the goal in the end. I thought it was a good break from us with good build-up play.

"They were appealing for offside against Matt [Smith] but I've spoken to some of their guys afterwards and they were quite happy that he was onside in the end."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/mccormack-not-leaving-fulham-symons

Admin

Sheffield Wednesday boss fumes at controversial Fulham goal as Symons hails point

Sheffield Wednesday head coach Stuart Gray claimed his side should have been awarded a free-kick for diving in the build up to Fulham's equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Hillsborough.

Cottagers midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe went down in the Wednesday box before poking the ball to goalscorer Matt Smith in the 75th minute.

Gray said: "I think the referee shouted 'play on' because he presumed the lad had dived.

"That's what the lads are saying so if he thought he dived you would have thought he'd have pulled up and given us a free-kick.

"You're taught as kid, you play until the whistle goes and we did seem to stop. I'm disappointed that the referee didn't give a free-kick for simulation but at the end of the day you've got to play until you hear the whistle go.

"The game wasn't one for the purists. The most important thing is probably getting to the 50-point mark, that's probably the only positive to have come out of the game. It was a poor game.

"The game wasn't conducive for football. It became an open game, we attacked, they attacked, but the pitch didn't allow for any real quality in the game."

Fulham manager Kit Symons was unsure about Tunnicliffe's tumble but was pleased with the impact of his substitutions.

"I was appealing for it (a penalty) as you would imagine but, listen, either way I was just pleased to have got the goal in the end," he said.

"I thought it was a good break from us actually, good build-up play. They were appealing for offside against Matt but I spoke to some of their guys afterwards and they were quite happy that he was onside in the end.

"We were a goal down away from home and we needed to get something out of it so I had to make positive substitutions and act quite early and that's what we did and it paid off on the day. It doesn't always work like that, trust me.

"We knew about the state of the pitch coming into it. I spoke to Stuart about it before the game and I said to our players it's not an excuse. It's a factor and it needs to be played accordingly but it's the same for both sides. It is what it is and you get on with it."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/sheffield_wednesday_boss_fumes_at_controversial_fulham_goal_as_symons_hails_point_1_3994373

Admin

Luca de la Torre Making his Way at Fulham

ussoccer.com speaks to Luca de La Torre about signing with Fulham and his development as a player at the London club.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/03/14/13/35/150314-u17mnt-luca-de-la-torre-feature

Admin

Matt Smith to the rescue as Fulham take point at Sheffield Wednesday

Striker makes his point as Fulham take one from Yorkshire

Just a point: Fulham drew at Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Fulham

Striker May, who replaced Keane, saw a volley blocked behind for a corner before putting the hosts ahead from the resultant set-piece in the 55th minute.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/matt-smith-rescue-fulham-take-8843283

Admin

Fulham and Sheffield Wednesday managers disagree over equaliser

Ryan Tunnicliffe at centre of controversy as Whites make their point in Yorkshire

Making his point: Fulham manager Kit Symons

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-sheffield-wednesday-managers-disagree-8843298

Admin

Match Report: Sheffield Wednesday 1 - Fulham 1

We're still trash. But unlucky trash. Not trash trash.

Well, it wasn't that bad. After going down 1-0, Matt Smith's mental crossbar deflection-shot meant that Fulham could escape with one vital point against Sheffield Wednesday earlier today.

The game started off with some good chemistry as Matt Smith flicked a pass onto McCormack, who passed to Sean Kavanagh, his cross going too far and being cleared to safety. Chris Maguire shot a half volley too wide for Sheffield. Another effort came in the 20th minute from McCormack, who took a shot from 40 yards out after noticing that Kieren Westwood was off his line, though the attempt went well wide. Tim Hoogland sent a massive through ball to McCormack, but unofrtunately Claude Dielna managed to beat him to the ball.

There were a couple of delays during the game, the first occuring when Wednesday midfielder Liam Palmer needed treatement for an injury, and ended up leaving the game on a stretcher because of it, being replaced by Marnick Vermijl. Another occured in the 42nd minute when Will Keane came off with the team's second injury of the day, with Stevie May coming on to replace him.

A free kick before injury time led to another Fulham chance when Matt Smith headed towards the net, but Tom Lees managed to get it out before new Cottagers signee Michael Turner could get to it. At the other end of the pitch, Konstantinos Stafylidis cleared a flick from May near the goal line, but he managed to gain possession of the ball (and miss) again, hitting his shot, assisted by Atdhe Nuhiu, weakly to let Bettinelli catch it. Maguire had the last chance of the first half but his cross was cleared.

Things looked a lot better in the second half, though the Owls had the first goal of the game when a corner by Lewis McGugan was cleared out by the Fulham defence, though the clearance found its way back to McGugan, whose cross met May's header which shot into the far corner of the net. Jazz Richards managed to clear a scrambled ball in the box, while Vermijl was booked for a foul on McCormack.

The Owls forced Bettinelli into action twice on the hour mark when Vermijl's attempt from distance was parried over the net, while the resulting corner met Tom Lees, who headed straight towards the Cottagers goalie. Hoogland had a decent drive toward goal but it was defended well by Dielna. A double change for fulham came in the next minute, with Seko Fofana and Cauley Woodrow coming on for Kavanagh and Hoogland. Matt Smith saved the day with his equaliser in the 74th minute, when Tunniclife was downed in the box but managed to get the ball to Smith, whose shot bounced off the crossbar and landed in the net. This was also Smith's second goal for Fulham!

Fulham started to attack more in the final minutes of the game, with McCormack's cross forcing Westwood into action, the Owls keeper punching away the ball, while Turner caught the first Fulham booking for his foul on McGugan. Smith looked set to make it 2-1, when he caught hold of a through ball by Scott Parker, but Westwood was there to dive at him, while Stafylidis screwed up the rebound, launching it over the bar.

McCormack had a free kick shoot over the net, Smith's shot was saved and the Scot had a shot blocked in what was the final moments of the game.

We can only pray it gets better. Fulham face Leeds at home (oh man) on Wednesday. COYW!

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2015/3/14/8215141/match-report-sheffield-wednesday-1-fulham-1

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Admin on March 14, 2015, 07:30:36 PM
Result: Matt Smith earns Fulham a 1-1 draw at Sheffield Wednesday

Fulham have rescued a 1-1 draw away at Sheffield Wednesday, thanks to a Matt Smith strike.

After a sluggish start to the game, both sides started to create chances as Fulham's Ross McCormack and Wednesday's Claude Dielna both shot over the bar from good positions.

McCormack had another shot from long-range that went wide, before Wednesday striker Chris Maguire tested Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli at his near post.

Steve May missed the best chance of the half in the final minute, as he failed to convert Atdhe Nuhiu's knock down in the box.

May made sure that he didn't make the same mistake with his next opportunity, as he headed in Lewis McGugan's cross in the 55th minute to give his side the lead.

Wednesday looked to take advantage of their momentum, but Bettinelli denied both Marnick Vermijl from distance and Tom Lees from close range.

The Fulham keeper was having a fine game, as minutes later he flipped a powerful Nuhiu header over the bar from another threatening McGugan cross.

The away side then grabbed an equaliser, as Ryan Tunnicliffe found Smith in the box and he lashed a volley into the net from close range.

Both teams came close to a winner, as McCormack and Smith had shots saved for Fulham and Diela missed by an inch for Wednesday, but ultimately the points were shared.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/result/result-smith-snatches-fulham-a-point_211193.html

Whats that picture got to do with it...lol