watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mackintosh RUINED Fulham

Started by Nick Bateman, April 02, 2015, 12:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

One man single-handedly ruined Fulham. Alistair Mackintosh.

All jokes aside regarding his enormous backside, on a salary greater than Scott Parker's filing paper clips; this man is solely responsible for Fulham's plight and demotion to the lower leagues.

When he was employed, with a CV from Manchester City by Mohamed Al Fayed, Mo, being a "hands on" proprietor kept him under control.  It was Fayed who wanted Martin Jol, who in turn attracted Dimitar Berbatov to our club.  Shahid Khan then  bought the club.
Jol's boring slow build-up play was unattractive and predictable and he struggled, despite having a decent squad.  Mackintosh employed coach René Meulensteen as a smooth transition to takeover from Jol.  The ex-Manchester United employee was regarded as one of Sir Alex Ferguson's main advisors and had a long experience in the Premier League.

Meulensteen was an instant success when he inherited the main position, revitalising Fulham's style, playing a fast paced, attacking flowing game that instantly saw results.

Not content with that appointment, Mackintosh added Alan Curbishley and then 'Butch' Wilkins as "wise old heads" to aid the fledgling manager.  They immediately influenced our style and our results suffered.

With Khan as owner, Mackintosh was eager to impress his new boss, and without Fayed to rein him under control, he was allowed to experiment.  In the January window with Fulham near the drop zone, the CEO sold a laconic off-form Berbatov to Monaco for £4million, well under his market value.  He rushed to buy unproven Greek forward Kostantinos Mitroglou for an inflated £11million, but the striker somehow passed the medical UNFIT to play.

That left Fulham without a lead target man, having blown their transfer kitty on one player who couldn't play.  As Meulensteen started to regroup and return to his principles which were deviated by Curbs & Wilkins, Fulham were once more looking like the attractive team drawing away to a strong Man.Utd and unluckily losing to Liverpool with an injury-time penalty when Mackintosh sacked him.  As René stated, "They have pushed the panic button!"

He went for German Felix Magath, this while Fulham were in the midst of a relegation dog-fight.  Magath had no knowledge of the PL, nor even the English style; all he had was his ego sounding like Muhammed Ali constantly bragging, "I will keep Fulham up.... I've done  it all before..... I am the greatest!"  

Many blame Magath but it was who put him in charge who was truly the cause, and who also was too slow to recognize it was the wrong man for the job when Magath took Fulham to the bottom of the Championship.  Khan, knew nothing about football and completely relied on his CEO, something which would not have happened had Fayed still been in place.

Now with a new general football manager in Mike Rigg, Fulham are starting to rebuild from the mess left by the previous regime.  Mackintosh still earns a healthy salary in his new sidelined role at the club, heaven knows what he is paid to do, but Rigg moved to acquire 4 loan players outside of the recent transfer window when Mackintosh failed to act.

But the poor start to our season has made this year's campaign a write-off, putting needless pressure on Kit Symons while he learns his trade in the hot seat.

The sooner Fulham get rid of Alistair Mackintosh and the terrible influence he has had over the club and our finances, the better.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

grandad

Well written piece Nick but there is nothing in it that we don´t already knew.
Mackintosh does seem to be the common denominator.
The CEO needs to be a real football man.
Do we in fact need a CEO? We only need a person to be in general charge of non football related tasks, which I thought he had been demoted to.
We do need Khan to recruit more board members who have hands on knowledge of the game.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Apprentice to the Maestro

Sorry, but this is full of speculation (although commonly held) and inaccuracies.

I doubt that MacKintosh's salary is anywhere near that of an average player.

Meulensteen wasn't an instant success, at least in terms of results until after the decision to sack him was almost certainly made.

Meulenstee, as far as I remember, said in a video that he asked for Curbishley and Wilkins because he wanted to add experience.

We do not know who was behind transfer decisions. £4m for Berbatov seems reasonable. You ignore the vociferous calls on here, then and since, that Berbatov was a cancer and should be moved on at any costs. The story behind  Mitroglou has yet to be told.

Again we don't know the story behind the recruiting of Magath. What you can say is that his record is stronger than any other manager we have ever had and his record in relegation fights was superb until he came to us. You are viewing this in the perfect vision of hindsight.

You say Khan knows nothing about football. Well then it was not sensible for him to set up a small board with little football experience only bringing in the President of the Jaguars to oversee events.

Similarly we don't know who was making the decision over Magath's continued presence.

As Symons has explained the club tried to get in the players he wanted but was foiled by injuries at their clubs.

So the usual inaccurate, attention seeking rant assuming the worst for every event to suit your prejudices.

VicHalomsLovechild

So the usual inaccurate, attention seeking rant assuming the worst for every event to suit your prejudices.
[/quote]

064.gif

snarks

I can't agree with much of your post Nick, as Apprentice says above, there is an awful lot of speculation and very little substantive fact.

I don't deride you having a rant at Ali Mack, but he is an easy target. I think MJG's post the other day on the spiriling costs is a better example of where one can point the finger. To an extent that would indicate MAF and the previous board.

Apart from that I would repeat ATTM's post and he has put it well enough.

rubbernecca

Thanks Nick for the post - I appreciate your speculation.  I don't think that he is completely responsible but what has happened on his watch is unacceptable. He needs to go.

As for ATTM's counter-rant: Meulensteen was an instant success. Did you think Magath was a good choice at the time?!  I think that you would have been in the minority for that opinion. And Khan has moved AM away from football decisions which can only lead us to believe that he was responsible for a good deal of them.

Peabody

So Nick, what happened to your preceding thread, where you stated that Ali Mac was sacked?

nose

I blame ali mac for much of our ills becuase he obviously was, we have been badly managed under his watch and the owners badly advised, he is responsible because that is his job. He was the man in charge and running the business day to day. He was a lucky bunny that MAf was obviously not getting any younger and planning to move on.....

In any other business he would have been held to account by now, our owner surely knows this and is just waiting for his moment to act.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on April 02, 2015, 01:33:16 PM

Meulensteen wasn't an instant success, at least in terms of results until after the decision to sack him was almost certainly made.

Meulenstee, as far as I remember, said in a video that he asked for Curbishley and Wilkins because he wanted to add experience.

We do not know who was behind transfer decisions. £4m for Berbatov seems reasonable. You ignore the vociferous calls on here, then and since, that Berbatov was a cancer and should be moved on at any costs. The story behind  Mitroglou has yet to be told.

Again we don't know the story behind the recruiting of Magath. What you can say is that his record is stronger than any other manager we have ever had and his record in relegation fights was superb until he came to us. You are viewing this in the perfect vision of hindsight.

You say Khan knows nothing about football. Well then it was not sensible for him to set up a small board with little football experience only bringing in the President of the Jaguars to oversee events.

Similarly we don't know who was making the decision over Magath's continued presence.

It's funny when someone disagrees with another view it is described as a "rant".

I have no prejudice whatsoever against Ali Mack.  He could perhaps be a thoroughly decent chap trying his hardest in the boardroom at our club.  The same could be said for Felix Magath when he was employed, Martin Jol, Darren Bent!  The truth is, their "best" was BAD for Fulham.

People like you like to are quick to defend those still at the club, and 'slag them off' when they leave.  

Berbatov was FANTASTIC for Fulham scoring dozens of goals, some of them goals-of-the-season!  To say he was a "cancer" is a hysterical remark and an insult to a man who gave us a good service.  Towards the end, when he lost form, he decided to blame it on the lack of ambition at the club, but so many times have I seen players "want away" to be later turned by improved contracts or conditions.  

I also remember Jol was playing Berbatov as a lone striker, relying on Bryan Ruiz, a midfield player, to provide the support.  Jol stated Ruiz would be the answer to our lack of goals.  The previous season we had a proper centre-forward AND Berbatov up front, but don't let the FACTS get in the way of your argument.

We certainly should not have sold him in January while in danger, that was sheer folly obvious to everyone and his dog.  Perhaps it has eluded you, though...

Ali Mack was taking charge of everything, hands on involved with the signing of Mitroglou and proudly proclaiming the appointment of Magath.  There were numerous statements and pictures at the time proving the case.  So instead of blaming the "Phantom Flan Flinger" I choose to rely on the clear evidence.

The fees paid were negotiated by Ali Mack; that was his job!  He agreed £11million as he did the following season with the purchase of Ross McCormack in a more structured signing.  The latter probably a knee-jerk reaction to get us back up after engineering our downfall.

One cannot blame Khan for any of this; he was completely taking advice from his CEO, a so-called footballing man.

As for Meulensteen, again you have a selective memory, or once more 'slagging off anyone who has left'.  In his first game Fulham played the best football I have seen in years, taking Aston Villa apart.  We did the same in the next match V Tottenham only to be let down by two goalkeeping howlers from Stekeneleburg who was subsequently dropped.  The style changed the moment Curbishley was employed, a humiliating loss to Hull and some off-color performances continued with Wilkins offering his not-so-sober advice.

One knows both Curbs & Wilko; they are pragmatists, opting for safety-first tactics and negative disciplines.  Wilkins was previously sacked by Kevin Keegan for doing things too slowly and pedestrian when Fulham were in the old Division 3 (now Div 1)!  Curbishley has master-minded one of the most boring, but competent Charlton sides ever seen in the top tier.

Meulensteen on the other hand, was employed at Old Trafford and much of their attacking philosophy was credited to him.  Indeed, I heard many United fans lamenting having David Moyes and wanting Rene Meulensteen instead after we outplayed them on their ground.  We continued to play in that fashion when Mackintosh sacked him, bang in the middle of the relegation dog-fight.  To every outsider it was unthinkable, yet only you and Ali Mack seem to believe this was good timing.

I only want what is good for Fulham, and while this man is still employed one can see further harm being done to our club.  He also chose the ridiculous new shirt designs with ugly grey bars on what should be a white shirt.  But you would rather blame the cleaning lady than the man whose job it is to make such decisions.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Peabody on April 02, 2015, 04:27:09 PM
So Nick, what happened to your preceding thread, where you stated that Ali Mac was sacked?

That was an April Fool's Day post showing big-bottomed Mackintosh "strutting his stuff" in the Money Supermarket advert.  Was removed for some reason.....

Nick Bateman

Quote from: nose on April 02, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
I blame ali mac for much of our ills becuase he obviously was, we have been badly managed under his watch and the owners badly advised, he is responsible because that is his job. He was the man in charge and running the business day to day. He was a lucky bunny that MAf was obviously not getting any younger and planning to move on.....

In any other business he would have been held to account by now, our owner surely knows this and is just waiting for his moment to act.

I agree had MAF been there he would have turfed him out as he did Bracewell.

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 02, 2015, 04:38:56 PM
Nick. I genuinely believe you meant to say that you ruined your Mackintosh at Fulham.

:005:

Lighthouse

It is a phase we all go through.  Like buying Black Sabbath records and liking films with subtitles. I went through a 'It is all Ali Macks fault' phase. But then everything that has gone wrong at Fulham since the Europa isn't ALL down to him. There are so many people than can be blamed for everything that has gone wrong. But I once used the word 'constant' as in 'he is the one constant name throughout'. I don't know who does what and when at Fulham and neither do they.

But it seems that while the building was falling Ali Mack only waved at it. He didn't ruin Fulham but he didn't do enough to stop it. What ever he was fiddling while Fulham burned did nothing but fan the flames.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

VicHalomsLovechild

Berbatov played 51 times and scored 19 or 54 and 20. Depending on whose data you're using, so almost two dozens. As mention, that's why you get accused of ranting. There are lots of facts that you could check but don't.
Wilkins managed the Club for a year in the late 90's. Curbishley is now back at the Club. Both have long careers in football and at the time would of appeared to be solid back up for a manager short on experience. Meulensteen had only really managed youth teams and was first team coach at ManU under a very successful manager and a team full of exceptional talent. He hasn't returned to management since. I remember us being good and bad under Rene before Ray and Curbs but to be fair to the three of them they inherited a team and didn't have a lot of time.

Woolly Mammoth

A Rant is defined as a noisy, excited or declamatory manner that shows anger.
To complain in a way that is unreasonable.
To scold vehemently, to utter in a bombastic declamatory fashion.
It came from the obsolete Dutch word Rantin, first used in 1601.
Synonyms are bluster, fulminate, huff and rave.
I hope I have been of some assistance.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ToodlesMcToot

It is odd that he has survived with the club for so long, given the length of his tenure and the incredible free fall the club has endured in the last seasons.

No idea if any of it has been down to his decision-making
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Quote from: rubbernecca on April 02, 2015, 03:09:45 PM
Thanks Nick for the post - I appreciate your speculation.  I don't think that he is completely responsible but what has happened on his watch is unacceptable. He needs to go.

As for ATTM's counter-rant: Meulensteen was an instant success. Did you think Magath was a good choice at the time?!  I think that you would have been in the minority for that opinion. And Khan has moved AM away from football decisions which can only lead us to believe that he was responsible for a good deal of them.

My response is not a rant (except the last line).

Meulensteen was not an instant success in terms of results winning his second and fifth game and losing four in the first month. I liked his approach and the football was improving. I would not have sacked him because I believe he would have been good for us in the long term.

I did not think Magath was a good choice because I picked up on reports of his strange methods. Look back to see my comments.

AM wasn't making football decisions under MAF. It is not clear that he was making them under Khan. If he was given that job then whoever gave him that responsibility must take most of the blame.

Travers Barney

Alastair seemed pretty chilled out in the Earl Beatty tonight as did Brooksie...that special Beatty Bank Holiday vibe obviously contributed...always chats passionate Fulham when a layman like me speaks to him.

coyw
We are the whites

Quote from: Nick Bateman on April 02, 2015, 04:54:15 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on April 02, 2015, 01:33:16 PM

It's funny when someone disagrees with another view it is described as a "rant".

I have no prejudice whatsoever against Ali Mack.  He could perhaps be a thoroughly decent chap trying his hardest in the boardroom at our club.  The same could be said for Felix Magath when he was employed, Martin Jol, Darren Bent!  The truth is, their "best" was BAD for Fulham.

People like you like to are quick to defend those still at the club, and 'slag them off' when they leave.  

Berbatov was FANTASTIC for Fulham scoring dozens of goals, some of them goals-of-the-season!  To say he was a "cancer" is a hysterical remark and an insult to a man who gave us a good service.  Towards the end, when he lost form, he decided to blame it on the lack of ambition at the club, but so many times have I seen players "want away" to be later turned by improved contracts or conditions.  

I also remember Jol was playing Berbatov as a lone striker, relying on Bryan Ruiz, a midfield player, to provide the support.  Jol stated Ruiz would be the answer to our lack of goals.  The previous season we had a proper centre-forward AND Berbatov up front, but don't let the FACTS get in the way of your argument.

We certainly should not have sold him in January while in danger, that was sheer folly obvious to everyone and his dog.  Perhaps it has eluded you, though...

Ali Mack was taking charge of everything, hands on involved with the signing of Mitroglou and proudly proclaiming the appointment of Magath.  There were numerous statements and pictures at the time proving the case.  So instead of blaming the "Phantom Flan Flinger" I choose to rely on the clear evidence.

The fees paid were negotiated by Ali Mack; that was his job!  He agreed £11million as he did the following season with the purchase of Ross McCormack in a more structured signing.  The latter probably a knee-jerk reaction to get us back up after engineering our downfall.

One cannot blame Khan for any of this; he was completely taking advice from his CEO, a so-called footballing man.

As for Meulensteen, again you have a selective memory, or once more 'slagging off anyone who has left'.  In his first game Fulham played the best football I have seen in years, taking Aston Villa apart.  We did the same in the next match V Tottenham only to be let down by two goalkeeping howlers from Stekeneleburg who was subsequently dropped.  The style changed the moment Curbishley was employed, a humiliating loss to Hull and some off-color performances continued with Wilkins offering his not-so-sober advice.

One knows both Curbs & Wilko; they are pragmatists, opting for safety-first tactics and negative disciplines.  Wilkins was previously sacked by Kevin Keegan for doing things too slowly and pedestrian when Fulham were in the old Division 3 (now Div 1)!  Curbishley has master-minded one of the most boring, but competent Charlton sides ever seen in the top tier.

Meulensteen on the other hand, was employed at Old Trafford and much of their attacking philosophy was credited to him.  Indeed, I heard many United fans lamenting having David Moyes and wanting Rene Meulensteen instead after we outplayed them on their ground.  We continued to play in that fashion when Mackintosh sacked him, bang in the middle of the relegation dog-fight.  To every outsider it was unthinkable, yet only you and Ali Mack seem to believe this was good timing.

I only want what is good for Fulham, and while this man is still employed one can see further harm being done to our club.  He also chose the ridiculous new shirt designs with ugly grey bars on what should be a white shirt.  But you would rather blame the cleaning lady than the man whose job it is to make such decisions.

Your post was a rant: ill-tempered containing inaccuracies and based on a lot of speculation.

Your views are prejudiced because they are based on assumptions.

Your claim about "People like me . . ." makes no sense and is again without evidence and untrue. I am not arguing for MacKintosh. I cannot argue either for or against MacKintosh because I don't have enough facts and I suspect no one else here has either. I am simply pointing out the flaws in your argument.

I didn't say Berbatov was a cancer and I am in the minority who don't think that.

The idea that it was "sheer folly obvious to everyone and his dog" to sell Berbatov in January shows how detached from reality you are. Look at the threads at the time. The vocal majority on here wanted him to go. And, by the way, I did not want him to go, again in the minority.

I am unconvinced by your arguments. If you are the sole owner and particularly if your company is not doing well and you have just had to sack the top man, in this case I mean the manager Jol, I think you keep a close look on proceedings particularly the selling of the company's major assets and the purchase of an even more expensive capital investment. All this stuff about AM buying, selling, sacking and employing is still speculation.

As I have said elsewhere I would have stuck with Meulensteen even if we could not have avoided relegation because I think he would have been good for us in the long term.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I wish I had the same excellent memory that many of you have.
I could then contribute to this type of discussion.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Roberty

As is always the case; the CEO does what the owner or shareholders tell him or her to do

Maybe this is why he is still in position?

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy