watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are our squad that bad

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, April 03, 2015, 06:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I can't see how individually this is a bad squad, which has a mixture of experience, and potential quality.
I know we don't play on paper but are there any clubs in this division with this level 0  "Qualification'

Fernando Amorebieta     A mixed bag of emotions
Stephen Arthurworrey    Not sure
Marcus Bettinelli            England Under 21 International
Nikolay Bodurov            Bulgarian International
Cameron Burgess          Scotland under 20
Dan Burn                      Lots of experience in CS  
Tiago Casasola              Highly rated under 20 Brazilian international
Adil Chihi                     I think he only came on as a sub once.  Looked like a 'battling beast'
Lasse Christensen         Our best youngster - Danish youth international
Larnell Cole -                Apparently has huge potential
Christofer David           Handled correctly could be a star
Moussa Dembele          Not sure
Seko Fofana                 Not sure, lots on here seem to think he has potential
Jack Grimmer               Youth international - debut for Aberdeen 1t 16
Tim Hoogland                Inconsistent - enthusiastic !
Shaun Hutchinson          Scottish PFA Team of the Year
Emerson Hyndman        Showed a lot of potential at start of season
Jesse Joronen                Not sure yet
Alex Kacaniklic               Swedish International
Sean Kavanagh             Loads of potential
Gabor Kiraly                   Hungarian international
Ross McCormack            Most gifted player - scored loads of goals with Matt Smith
Konstantinos Mitroglou   Accomplished elsewhere, a mystery and enigma with tattoos
Scott Parker            Best player this year, needs to play slightly further forward in front of someone in the position he plays now
Ange-Freddy Plumain -   Seems like loads of potential, scoring freely in the 'reserves'
Patrick Roberts              Our 'starlet'  Youth international
Hugo Rodallega              Started well, shouldn't really be on the bench
Bryan Ruiz                      UGGGG
Matt Smith                     OK on his own but also see Ross McCormack (Recent spell at Bristol showed us he knows where the net is) Bristol City playing are at our level really, possibly better at the moment !!

Kostas Stafylidis              An enthusiastic mixed bag.  Not sure of his best position
Maarten Stekelenburg     Was very highly rated !!  International
Adam Taggart                 Aussie international - not given a sniff this season (mainly due to injury)
Ryan Tunnicliffe              Again, huge potential - apparently - England youth international.
Kay Voser                      Seasoned Champions League player
George Williams             For me, more potential than Roberts. Regular Welsh international until injury
Ryan Williams                Aussie U20 international  
Cauley Woodrow            Close to the 'almost finished article'   Under 21 international
Jazz Richards                 Mixed reports on here

I can't comment on Husband, Guthrie or Turner
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Artful Dodger

If you take out the 'not sures' and 'loads of potential' you are not left with much - and certainly not much with experience of the Championship which is arguably the hardest second tier league in the world.

The only 'potential' player that has come through is LVC with Roberts not getting much game time and Williams a fair way off yet from what I saw and I cringe every time Grimmer or Kavanagh get the ball. Therefore we have put all the pressure on Parker, LVC and Ross and the first 2 have been pretty much injured since Christmas and it is no coincidence our poor run has coincided with that.

Of the more experienced players, Kaca is overrated and if you're using Kiraly as an example of an international, therefore must be good, we are doomed!

In a year or two, we may have a brilliant team of 22 or 23 year olds but for this year, the quality and experience just isn't there.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Dodger53

Just got home

Yes they are that bad!

4 or 5 good chances but shot was more of a pass back than a shot. Too many of this squad would not get a game at a good 4th div side!

Quite a few flatter to deceive, go past players but no final ball be it a shot or a pass - hopeless

Kaka and Tunny and Borodov and mc'cormack- all over rated and not good enough - they do a few good moves but hey they are well paid professional players - you need that something special, that differnence to turn a game or save a game - we dont have it - we look like 11 strangers on the pitch.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Sorry, let me clarify.
The squad on paper looks good, however these 2 response are what I was hoping for
ie: are these potentials and better players over rated.

I wasn't really using Kiraly as an example of being a "good player" just stating the fact that he is a current international (I think
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Dodger53 on April 03, 2015, 06:53:57 PM
Just got home

Yes they are that bad!

4 or 5 good chances but shot was more of a pass back than a shot. Too many of this squad would not get a game at a good 4th div side!

Quite a few flatter to deceive, go past players but no final ball be it a shot or a pass - hopeless

Kaka and Tunny and Borodov and mc'cormack- all over rated and not good enough - they do a few good moves but hey they are well paid professional players - you need that something special, that differnence to turn a game or save a game - we dont have it - we look like 11 strangers on the pitch.

To lump Kaka with the other three and label them all in the same way is inaccurate.
McCormack is good enough, Tunniclifffe can do a job within a better set up, Bodorov I agree is not good enough and Kaca should't be anywhere near a Fulham team ever again after todays shameful performance.

cmg

Even a super optimist/raddled old junkie like me can see that something is seriously wrong.
I have always tended towards the idea that players win/lose matches and that managers are more peripheral (but much easier to sack). Some recent circumstances (Hodgson on the plus side, Magath on the minus) have perhaps suggested to me that managers can be more influential than I had thought.

Anyway, to address Roger's question.
First let's take out the youngsters out of the list (the majority). Bettinelli and LVC, I would suggest, have proved themselves. Fofana. I think, will be a top player - but not with us. I think that some of the others will be top players, too, and that some will not. The fact is we just don't know right now.

I think we can forget about Ruiz, Mitroglou and Stekelenburg. They will be elsewhere next year.

Of the rest; McCormack has been an obvious success (although the question might be raised 'Has he done as well for us as he did for Leeds last season?') and Parker has been a stalwart, although his time is running out.
Personally (and I may be biased here) I would strike through Kacaniklic (who has been woefully disappointing) and Rodellega (who I have never really rated)

This leaves:
Fernando Amorebieta     A mixed bag of emotions
Nikolay Bodurov            Bulgarian International
Dan Burn                      Lots of experience in CS  
Adil Chihi                     I think he only came on as a sub once.  Looked like a 'battling beast'
Tim Hoogland                Inconsistent - enthusiastic !
Shaun Hutchinson          Scottish PFA Team of the Year
Gabor Kiraly                   Hungarian international
Matt Smith                     OK on his own but also see Ross McCormack (Recent spell at Bristol showed us he knows where the net is) Bristol City playing are at our level really, possibly better at the moment !!
Kostas Stafylidis              An enthusiastic mixed bag.  Not sure of his best position
Ryan Tunnicliffe              Again, huge potential - apparently - England youth international.
Kay Voser                      Seasoned Champions League player
Jazz Richards                 Mixed reports on here

Bit of a mixed bag, a bit of promise (Smith, Tunnicliffe) plus our defence, which has been pretty awful all season. What they seem to have in common is that they have all played better elsewhere, and that, I guess leads us back to the manager.

The main problem, for me, remains the lack of any pace or midfield inspiration - but we've been there for three seasons now.

BestOfBrede

I think it would be sensible to not judge Ross too harshly, when he has had to play with a non existent midfield and hopeless manager!
He definately has skill and would have scored more if played in his most dangerous position.

Lighthouse

It doesn't and has never looked good on paper. Just because a player has played for his Country doesn't mean he is a great player. Zat Knight anyone? So I said then and I will say it again. This squad is the worst squad we have had since before Al too over as the owner. This belief that somehow they are much better than the position suggests and is all the managers fault and the manager before him. Is not true has never been true and never will be true.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

The Squad is certainly better that the Manager. We should not be struggling the way we are, or letting in so many goals the way we are. There appears to be no structure, they play as though they have never been coached. I feel that a half decent manager would get much better results and performances with these players, that the present Manager. My patients has run thin. I thought I could wait until the end of season, but I feel that Kit must be replaced with immediate effect, enough is enough. It's humiliating. The current players are better than that.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

I think we have a good core group of individuals,  but as a team we just are not working right. There is no plan.
So overall apart from  handful of players I'd keep a lot of them for next season and supplement them with five starters who can be brought in.