watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why is Wigan game on Friday?

Started by Ed, April 08, 2015, 07:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

hasn't there been a couple of times when there was a match between Oxford & Cambridge (Uni's) at the Cottage on the day of the boat race?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Fulham1959 on April 08, 2015, 01:11:45 PM
Quote from: Cravenawin on April 08, 2015, 10:11:51 AM
Should ban the Boat Race. Most stupid sporting event ever invented. Thousands of hooray Henrys lining the Thames to see 18 Ruperts in a couple of boats, pathetic.

It's a fix, too.  The top two elite universities always get to the final !

:005:

Lighthouse

I used to love the boat race. If it coincided with a game or was on the same day, always made a point of watching them pass. Always used to watch on the tv. Like the Grand National it has become less of an event for me. Purely I think because I used to watch with all the family. Now I don't get quite the joy on my own watching it. But can never understand this class reverse snobbery that comes in to it for some. It is an event, enjoy it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Equalizer

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 08, 2015, 01:29:24 PM
hasn't there been a couple of times when there was a match between Oxford & Cambridge (Uni's) at the Cottage on the day of the boat race?

I think they still do this.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Chesh

On the plus side, it can only be an advantage to us, as Wigan would have probably brought 1,000+ for such a big game on a Saturday, whereas I fully expect them to have only 2-300 on Friday night.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

David Allen Crankshaw

Quote from: RaySmith on April 08, 2015, 09:30:12 AM
I remember standing on the Riverside terracing watching a game - it may have been a reserve game, when the boat race went past, and we all went up the back to watch it, before going back to attend to the game.

It was a friendly against Kilmarnock. We won 3-1 and we had a chap called Don Kerrigan playing but I can't remember anything else about the match.

win-dup

Quote from: The Equalizer on April 08, 2015, 11:33:24 AM
Should ban the Boat Race. Most stupid sporting event ever invented. Thousands of hooray Henrys lining the Thames to see 18 Ruperts in a couple of boats, pathetic.

Actually, it's a lot more than just 'Hooray Henrys'. Some of us think that rowing is an excellent sport, and as someone who rowed for 8 years, I tend to agree with that.

Not at all, it's always been a great event and up to the 1950's street traders sold miniature oars in dark and light blue to the inhabitants of Putney and Fulham and we kids pestered our parents for them despite not having  the faintest idea  where Oxford and Cambridge were.
Tremendous physical effort by both crews every year,so don't be such a misery.

VicHalomsLovechild

Why not move the Boat Race to a Friday night that would add a bit of danger to the whole affair. Street vendors selling torches and candles!

Airfix

Quote from: Neil D on April 08, 2015, 12:12:43 PM
So who is compensating the club for the reduced attendance, given that very few Wigan supporters will be there and plenty of Fulham fans can't make evening fixtures? 
I also remember watching the race from the terracing of what is now the Riverside stand.

Quote from: Chesh on April 08, 2015, 01:46:33 PM
On the plus side, it can only be an advantage to us, as Wigan would have probably brought 1,000+ for such a big game on a Saturday, whereas I fully expect them to have only 2-300 on Friday night.

I believe that Wigan have offered their fans free coach travel for the game.  Suspect that they will be there in numbers.

leonffc

Quote from: win-dup on April 08, 2015, 03:56:28 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on April 08, 2015, 11:33:24 AM

Actually, it's a lot more than just 'Hooray Henrys'. Some of us think that rowing is an excellent sport, and as someone who rowed for 8 years, I tend to agree with that.

Not at all, it's always been a great event and up to the 1950's street traders sold miniature oars in dark and light blue to the inhabitants of Putney and Fulham and we kids pestered our parents for them despite not having  the faintest idea  where Oxford and Cambridge were.
Tremendous physical effort by both crews every year,so don't be such a misery.

I agree. I'm not into rowing at all and am far from being a hooray henry but I have taken up the £10 entry (inc. a drink and match day food - and decent toilets that those on the banks of the river could only dream of) to watch it with my family from the riverside terrace at the Cottage and had a great day. As well as seeing the race start, the rest of it on monitors and a jazz band in the stadium there was a good buzz around the pubs.

Also, girl from my village, who admittedly is a hooray Henrietta but a fit one, was the cox a few years ago. If the cox is the person that shouts instead of rows that is?