News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Chris 'Clanger' Smalling - The Greatest Deal Since London Bridge?

Started by White Noise, July 17, 2010, 05:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Sir Alex Ferguson defends new signing Chris Smalling after debut clanger in United victory

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 3:09 PM on 17th July 2010

Sir Alex Ferguson expressed his satisfaction with Chris Smalling following the England Under-21 defender's first game for Manchester United.   

Smalling partnered Jonny Evans in a new-look partnership at the back with Rio Ferdinand absent through injury and Nemanja Vidic on a break after the World Cup.   

The pair helped United defeat Celtic 3-1 in Toronto in the opening game of their five-match tour.   

Smalling, 20, had some difficult moments, not least of all when he conceded a penalty after a challenge on Joe Ledley and Georgios Samaras equalised.   

However, United boss Ferguson thought the former Fulham player - who was wearing the colours of non-league Maidstone only 18 months ago - emerged with credit at the Rogers Centre.   

He said: 'I was pleased with Chris. We know he is good footballer, we know he is quick and is a good passer of the ball. 

'There was a period after half-time when he had two fantastic headers with great purpose and showed his aerial ability.

'He got caught a little bit with the penalty kick. The player ran from his blind side in behind him. But he is only young, he is only 20.'

High point: Chris Smalling outjumps the Celtic defence
Evans enjoyed the experience.   
'It was good to play alongside Chris - we just tried to keep things simple between us, ' said the Northern Ireland international. 
'He is a great lad, he has trained hard and hopefully he can do well for us.'

Inspired by striker Dimitar Berbatov, United proved too strong for Celtic, who also lost to Philadelphia Union on Wednesday.   
Berbatov opened the scoring with a cool finish and then set up Danny Welbeck for the second as they regained their lead. 
Tom Cleverly, who came off the bench like Welbeck, added a third, his shot taking a deflection off Darren O'Dea.   

Ball boys: Chris Smalling (right) challenges Celtic'd Marc Fortune (left)
Berbatov was named man of the match and Evans said: 'He was fantastic. He scored one and created the other two and looked in really good form.'

Evans felt United were good value for their victory. The squad were due to head to Philadelphia later today
He said: 'It was a good win and a decent performance. We were in control of the game in the first half, but after they equalised they started to get a bit more of a grip on the game. 
'We came back though to score twice and I think we deserved the win. It's nice to get that first game under your belt.   
'The training has been pretty intense, but everyone is working hard and it was good to start with a win.'

Ferguson confirmed that Owen Hargreaves will remain in the United States for treatment on his persistent knee problems.   
Ferguson said: 'He had a recurrence of the knee injury which is of great concern to us. He will remain there until he is ready to come back and train.   

'There is no point in leaving the people who are treating him and did the operation and we have to send him back again. It is pointless.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1295511/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-defends-new-signing-Chris-Smalling-debut-clanger-United-victory.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0txWaVBWa

White Noise

http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2010/07/17/chris-smalling-impressions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+StretfordEndArisingcom+%28Stretford+End+Arising+-+Blog%29

Chris Smalling Impressions

Probably like most of you the game between United and Celtic was eagerly awaited. Not only was it our first opportunity to view new signing Chris Smalling, but we welcomed the return of an old friend after a long long summer without Manchester United. I was like an excited child on Christmas Day (up at 4am) an hour before kickoff. My only previous viewing of Smalling came when Fulham took on Chelsea. He impressed keeping Chelsea at bay but unfortunately scored an own goal. After his signing was announced I tried in vain to watch him in Fulham's remaining fixtures – frustratingly he was not Roy Hodgson's preferred choice.

During the first half (against Celtic) Smalling had little opportunity to impress as United dominated mainly due to the sublime Paul Scholes – his passing was simply outstanding. God, how I wish he was ten years younger! How England could have done with Scholes in South Africa... but who cares?! The first half did highlight how comfortable Smalling looked in possession; he is not worried to bring the ball out of defence.

The second half asked more questions as Celtic were inspired by Giorgios Samaras, he played like a man possessed! Where has this Samaras been hiding? Of course the talking point is the penalty conceded by Smalling. Perhaps harsh to suggest Smalling was caught out of position? So be it, as a young player these mistakes are part of his learning process.

The immediate impression of Smalling and probably the conclusion most will share is he is Rio Ferdinand's clone. I remember watching a young Rio at West Ham; he was regularly found out of position and made mistakes, leading to goals being conceded.  Was only when Rio moved to Leeds United and then finally to Manchester United where he started to understand the art of defending, positional play and he become less error prone. I have no doubts whatsoever Smalling will follow a similar pattern to Rio.

With a defensive line up of Rafael, Evans, Smalling and Fabio we have perhaps witnessed our future defence for the next 10-15 years. Exciting stuff you'll all agree!!

The similarities between a Rio & Vidic central partnership compared to Smalling & Evans partnership is fairly obvious. Evans and Vidic are rocks, the men which will challenge for majority of headers from restarts etc while Smalling and Rio will clean up the crumbs, collect any knock downs and use their pace if found out of position.

Overall, his performance was impressive; it gave an inclination of his talent. He is by no means the finished article and he will no doubt make further mistakes. This seems about right for an inexperienced lad? We have to accept these mistakes and not jump on his back with every mistake made.  Before kickoff, MUTV showed an interview with Smalling. He seemed level headed; spoke well and seemed an intelligent lad – all positive signs.

You can't teach his size, pace or natural athleticism – he has the physical tools. Once his reading of the game improves (which it surely will with experience) he will become a real asset for the club

finnster01

HaHaHa, You just nailed it Mr WN,

How many own goals and penalties did he do for us? In fact after the Posh friendly last summer, Roy even said that he singlehandedly handed them the draw (3-3, Smalling late sub, caused a penality and scored an own goal..)
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

beijing ben

I hope he does well. He has a great opportunity and i hope nerves don't get the better of him. I'd love to see him playing for England

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LRCN

he will play for england, garunteed, and i'll bet you 20 pound finny thisll happen.. he's improved so much since he came to fulham that he's no where near his peak yet.

Fulham Pats Fan

I watched the game and Smalling made a mistake similar to what happened against Hull. He was beat and pulled the player down. He is young and will get better. I just found it interesting that this mistake was something I saw last season.

Chopper

I'm ambilvelent. He didn't come through our ranks and hadn't played often enough to get attached to.

If he plays well for United it could be a good thing for England.

If things go wrong we've netted a healthy profit for a player we spent very little on.

Win-Win for us.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Logicalman

Quote from: Chopper on July 17, 2010, 06:57:01 PM
Win-Win for us.

Even more so if he continues putting thru his own net when we play them !   :011: :005: :011:

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

I could never see the fuss about him,but what the hell do I know? :dft012:

Lighthouse

Smalling seemed to have one problem and that was he didn't seem to make the right decisions. He lacked positional sense and often found himself on the wrong side of forwards. Has ability but must learn football sense to operate at the top level.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Tom

Told you guys Smalling was way overrated! I also said we were stealing the money from man u. Looks like im right so far.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: finnster01 on July 17, 2010, 06:18:12 PM
I'd like to see him fall on his arse.
finnster, he just isn't that good. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. We stole the money from man u!
Fulham for life!

Teabag

I doubt old red nose and Wenger are both wrong. Smalling has only played a handful of games at the top level. It takes time and he will get to the top.

I remember seeing Paul Parker's first game for us and thought what a load of rubbish.