watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

On a tangent re the club badge

Started by BedsFFC, April 15, 2015, 06:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Remember the good ole days when we used to be up in arms about the new emblem. I think most hated it. We lost our identity. I did used to love our old badge and I remember us all thinking the new was a bit nazi-ish.

However, on reflection, as a club we brought brand people in. They were talking the Fulham "brand" at the time.

You have to say, people now know the badge. I'm outa town now (as name suggests) but play 5 a side and wear my FFC shorts. Everyone knows the brand. I doubt they would with the old badge.

You got to say, the marketing company probably achieved their remit.

FPT

I like both badges; of course the old one has a bit more character, but the current one is simplistic yet fulfils what it needs to do. It's a white stripe on a black shield which tells you that we play in white and black, and the FFC in red signifies that we are "Fulham Football Club" and red is part of our history. As far as rebranding goes, this is really quite good.

Our overseas marketing will take a hit after relegation, but eventually we'll be back and then Alistair Mackintosh can do what he does best and improve our financial income.

LBNo11

...I still dislike the now 14 year old badge. The people who supported Fulham knew the old badges if they saw them -  so what if a fan of another club didn't?

It wouldn't have been so bad had the club not lied by saying they couldn't use the old crests as Fulham FC would be in breach of copyright by using the LBoH&F crest - this was proven to be totally false.

The only items I have with the 'new' badge are those that were bought for me/given to me. Everything I bought myself was with the older crests. The clothing etc., of that era are getting tatty, battered and threadbare - but then again, so am I. If the old crests were back on sale I would buy again...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

RaySmith

Did we all think it was a bit Naziish, Beds? Well, some did anyway.

I think it could be argued, as you do, that the new badge has been a success, creating an easily recognisable 'brand' for Fulham.

Others though feel very strongly about older badges, which show the history of the area, and are still vehemently opposed to the new badge.

Actually,  have to say that I was just listening to Richard Dimblebey's report on entering Belsen at the end of the war, on the radio- and it is still incredibly moving and shocking.

So to equate our badge with the evils of Nazism seems ridiculous and insensitive-though I know you're not doing that.

FPT

I must say, what I don't like about the old badge is how blue it is.

BedsFFC

Quote from: RaySmith on April 15, 2015, 06:47:29 PM
Did we all think it was a bit Naziish, Beds? Well, some did anyway.

I think it could be argued, as you do, that the new badge has been a success, creating an easily recognisable 'brand' for Fulham.

Others though feel very strongly about older badges, which show the history of the area, and are still vehemently opposed to the new badge.

Actually,  have to say that I was just listening to Richard Dimblebey's report on entering Belsen at the end of the war, on the radio- and it is still incredibly moving and shocking.

So to equate our badge with the evils of Nazism seems ridiculous and insensitive-though I know you're not doing that.

Wo wo wo, Mr Raymondo. Hold your horses. I think what the complaint was at the time was it was a bit Swastika-like. I don't think, even the most vehement of critics thought we were aligning ourselves with the Third Reich.

I will try and get the Dimblebey piece on iplayer

LBNo11

Quote from: FPT on April 15, 2015, 06:55:33 PM
I must say, what I don't like about the old badge is how blue it is.

...the "blue lines wavy" are the heraldic term to signify the club was by water.

Conversely, the 'FFC' (Falkirk, Farnham, Farnborough etc.,?) in the current badge is very red, not sure how that signifies anything, apart from the colour crayons the designer of it had available...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

WhiteJC

we'll never know but if we'd have had the "proper" badge when we were in the Premiership I think it would have been just as recognisable

any of these...

I don't like the Nazi Christmas tree

Adi-ffc

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 15, 2015, 10:28:07 PM
we'll never know but if we'd have had the "proper" badge when we were in the Premiership I think it would have been just as recognisable

any of these...

I don't like the Nazi Christmas tree

Any of these 100 times better than our tasteless current one. I won't buy any merchandise until they change it.

HatterDon

As I've said before, I'm sure that when the "old badge" was new, there was a large contingent of supporters who preferred THEIR old badge to it and were quite put out at the change.

Me? I like all the ones that WJC posted above -- and I think there were several others -- but the one we have now is the one that was in force when I first started supporting Fulham. So for me it IS the old badge.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

I think people do recognise the newer badge as being the Fulham brand. That's because it does look like a swastika and is memorably bad. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Wolf

It took me a decade to accept the current badge. Must say I love the 90s badge, but its not like we had it for a hundred years. Badges changes and evolve. The current badge is distinctive, and other clubs with badge changes this century have chosen worse e.g. Stoke City's tedious shield (the same season as Fulham's change I think) and Cheltenham Town's unpleasant design that is not wholly dissimilar to ours. 
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

gerrys

Quote from: LBNo11 on April 15, 2015, 06:45:34 PM
...I still dislike the now 14 year old badge. The people who supported Fulham knew the old badges if they saw them -  so what if a fan of another club didn't?

It wouldn't have been so bad had the club not lied by saying they couldn't use the old crests as Fulham FC would be in breach of copyright by using the LBoH&F crest - this was proven to be totally false.

The only items I have with the 'new' badge are those that were bought for me/given to me. Everything I bought myself was with the older crests. The clothing etc., of that era are getting tatty, battered and threadbare - but then again, so am I. If the old crests were back on sale I would buy again...
:plus one:

westcliff white

I cannot believe it has been 14 years since we changed it, do think Nazi references are a bit much personally. I liked our old one and I do not mind the one we have now it has frown on me over the years.

The middle two on White JC's post would be my preferred choice.
Every day is a Fulham day