It's St George's Day !   Make a Knight of it.  065.gif
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

St Eve

Happy St George's Day. Ready for my roast beef and Yorkshire pud

Logicalman

H a p p y  S t  G e o r g e ' s   D a y  f r o m   t h e   U  S  of  A   

.. and many more .......  065.gif

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

hovewhite

This is my own national self imposed holiday and has been for years and with mate or mates we wear anything to do with st george and drink ale most of the day around various drinking establishments in brighton and hove ,so mines a pint landlord.
ST GEORGE!!!!

Burt

ST GEORGE! St George for England!
Clear rings the ancient cry;
St George! St George for England!
Who dares to do and die?

The fiery cross has called them
From the lonely Highland glen,
And Cambria's lovely vales resound
To the tramp of marching men.

From Erin's shimmering island
They cry is still "They come!"
And Tara's sacred halls resound
To the music of the drum.

They have left the dead unburied,
And the marriage feast delayed
Till Belgium's wrongs are all avenged,
And the Huns' mad march is stayed.

They come from sunny Devon,
From Derby's vales and rocks;
Left are the pen, the loom, the plough,
Deserted are the flocks.

And St George is fighting for them,
While Heaven's vast Hosts, as one
Shall watch by them, and fight for them,
Till victory is won.

(With apologies for the mention of Derby on here)

alfie

Please someone can correct me if i am wrong, but i understood that St George was not even English and never set foot in this country, can anyone confirm this?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Peabody

Well, not when I knew I him!

dannyboi-ffc

Happy St George's day!!!!!!!!! I have always felt that it was undermined in this country by St Patrick's day which cant be right. Nothing against St Patrick or the Irish, I have many Irish friends by this is England and today should be celebrated with pride.

Actually I am going to make a thread about celebrating all things English. Keep it up Woolly boy!
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

ron

My St. George's Cross is fluttering on the front of the house, as is my friend and neighbour's on his....but he being a Millwall fan has rather less to celebrate...

FFCAli

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 23, 2015, 12:20:58 AM

Have you added this to every message from the last month?!

TheDaddy

Quote from: alfie on April 23, 2015, 07:58:38 AM
Please someone can correct me if i am wrong, but i understood that St George was not even English and never set foot in this country, can anyone confirm this?

Turkish and i don't have his travel itinerary
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

leonffc

Quote from: TheDaddy on April 23, 2015, 10:26:17 AM

As far as I know no one has ever claimed George to be English. Some assume he was because we celebrate 'his day' (I use the word 'celebrate' loosely as most people, pubs etc don't bother) but so do many other countries including Catalunya.
What does seem apparent is that he gets a new nationality every April 23rd. I've not heard the German one before Beserker ;)

St. Christopher is supposed to be the patron saint of travel but I'm not sure he has to be English if you want to wear one of his necklaces when driving up the M1. Or French if hurtling down the N9

Good on you 'Daddy'. I'll pop out for a pint or two later also.

Lighthouse

I really don't care. I am happy but not that proud any more. If it wasn't for all the Scots and Welsh and Irish jumping up and down and saying 'look at us, look at us' I don't suppose the English would give a tossing the crumpet.

So I don't need a day to be told when to be proud. Or when to mourn the dead from wars. Or when it would be convenient to have a party. I am English and I don't need to be told what to do and when to do it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

leonffc

After wishing the Welsh at work a 'happy St George's' I just got all the usual 'Turk Greek, Moldovan (not German though) spiel so we looked in to St David. Turns out he was Irish!!

Logicalman

I believe he was actually born is Syria to Greek parents, though historians still argue over it, but all appear to agree he was a soldier in the Roman Army. We celebrate April 23 as being the day he was put to death in 303 AD because he stood up to Emperor Diocletian's persecution of Christians.

He has been revered as a Saint in the UK since sometime prior to the William of Orange's moving house across the Channel, starting in around the 8-9th Century, and, according to such references from Glastonbury and Caerleon he DID VISIT ENGLAND in his time as a Roman Tribune. It was only after he 'appeared' at a certain Crusader battle in 1098 that he became a Saint, then of soldiers. The celebration date of April 23 was declared in 1222, and about 100 years or so later he was declared the Patron Saint of England. The catholic church has recognized St George as far back as 496, though they admit there is little actually known of his 'Saintly' acts.

The first feast in his honour was recorded at Agincourt (1415) and this was celebrated in a similar way to Christmas until the mid 18th Century when it was 'demoted' to a simple feast day.

The Red Cross attributed to St George became a battle banner for English soldiers around the end of the 12th Century, and was adopted as the English flag within 100 years. (a seal of Lyme Regis from 1284 depicts the flags use). The Dragon was only introduced in 1265 by a writer, James of Voragine, along with a number of other heroic stories.

Since that time his "Englishness' has grown and grown to where it is today, with Military, Diplomatic & Civilian Honours.

Th-th-that's all folks...  
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

alfie

Quote from: Logicalman on April 23, 2015, 12:33:51 PM

I believe he was actually born is Syria to Greek parents, though historians still argue over it, but all appear to agree he was a soldier in the Roman Army. We celebrate April 23 as being the day he was put to death in 303 AD because he stood up to Emperor Diocletian's persecution of Christians.

He has been revered as a Saint in the UK since sometime prior to the William of Orange's moving house across the Channel, starting in around the 8-9th Century, and, according to such references from Glastonbury and Caerleon he DID VISIT ENGLAND in his time as a Roman Tribune. It was only after he 'appeared' at a certain Crusader battle in 1098 that he became a Saint, then of soldiers. The celebration date of April 23 was declared in 1222, and about 100 years or so later he was declared the Patron Saint of England. The catholic church has recognized St George as far back as 496, though they admit there is little actually known of his 'Saintly' acts.

The first feast in his honour was recorded at Agincourt (1415) and this was celebrated in a similar way to Christmas until the mid 18th Century when it was 'demoted' to a simple feast day.

The Red Cross attributed to St George became a battle banner for English soldiers around the end of the 12th Century, and was adopted as the English flag within 100 years. (a seal of Lyme Regis from 1284 depicts the flags use). The Dragon was only introduced in 1265 by a writer, James of Voragine, along with a number of other heroic stories.

Since that time his "Englishness' has grown and grown to where it is today, with Military, Diplomatic & Civilian Honours.

Th-th-that's all folks...  
thank you most enlightening
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FFCAli

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 23, 2015, 01:04:15 PM
Quote from: FFCAli on April 23, 2015, 10:24:55 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 23, 2015, 12:20:58 AM

Have you added this to every message from the last month?!

I hope so, Happy St George's Day !
And the same to you!   :wine:

Berserker

That's if you are English
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Lighthouse on April 23, 2015, 12:19:11 PM
I really don't care. I am happy but not that proud any more. If it wasn't for all the Scots and Welsh and Irish jumping up and down and saying 'look at us, look at us' I don't suppose the English would give a tossing the crumpet.

So I don't need a day to be told when to be proud. Or when to mourn the dead from wars. Or when it would be convenient to have a party. I am English and I don't need to be told what to do and when to do it.

Well Said Mr L...

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 23, 2015, 09:16:47 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on April 23, 2015, 12:19:11 PM

Well Said Mr L...

Why don't you Victor Meldews smile and give your faces a holiday. You both sound about 105 years Old.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.