watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The table doesn't lie...

Started by glenhodgso, May 04, 2015, 12:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenhodgso

I am not convinced by the revisionism or 'changing narrative' that has been used to explain our performances this season.
The latest of which is that we did not have enough "Championship" experience in our squad - that is a nonsensical statement rattled out time and again to justify poor performances.

Did Brentford (promoted last season from L1) have enough Championship experienced players - no - it didn't do them any harm

Did we or did we not, back last summer, buy the most effective Championship striking partnership (McCormack & Smith)?

Are we seriously suggesting that our senior players are less effective at a lower league, than a higher one? Really? Think about for a minute.

But here's a thing - if we look at the final table for the Championship, League One, League Two and the Banarama Conference, of those 96 clubs, all playing 46 games, only three teams conceded more goals - Blackpool and Alfreton and Telford.

The point I make is this - no excuses, our defending wasn't good enough, we couldn't defend set pieces all season, and we didn't know what our best back four was -the different combinations played was staggering - we all know that consistency helps build confidence - and the real reason for our hapless and hopeless performances this season? Not "lack of Championship experience", No - it's simply lack of coaching skill and sense of purpose from the management team.

Fulham76

Quote from: glenhodgso on May 04, 2015, 12:44:54 PM
I am not convinced by the revisionism or 'changing narrative' that has been used to explain our performances this season.
The latest of which is that we did not have enough "Championship" experience in our squad - that is a nonsensical statement rattled out time and again to justify poor performances.

Did Brentford (promoted last season from L1) have enough Championship experienced players - no - it didn't do them any harm

Did we or did we not, back last summer, buy the most effective Championship striking partnership (McCormack & Smith)?

Are we seriously suggesting that our senior players are less effective at a lower league, than a higher one? Really? Think about for a minute.

But here's a thing - if we look at the final table for the Championship, League One, League Two and the Banarama Conference, of those 96 clubs, all playing 46 games, only three teams conceded more goals - Blackpool and Alfreton and Telford.

The point I make is this - no excuses, our defending wasn't good enough, we couldn't defend set pieces all season, and we didn't know what our best back four was -the different combinations played was staggering - we all know that consistency helps build confidence - and the real reason for our hapless and hopeless performances this season? Not "lack of Championship experience", No - it's simply lack of coaching skill and sense of purpose from the management team.

It shows the importance of a quality manager.

I'm not suggesting we don't have one but with the FFP rules in place, the manager is as big a key to success as a top goal scorer.

Andy S

No it shows the importance of good coaching. Compensating for where you are week. ie if you cannot head it out from a corner it is always a good idea to have somebody on the back post. OK the manager may not be the best but we are stuck with who the chairman gives us

Lighthouse

There was another big difference between Brentford and us. They had players who had played successfully together and played as a team. We had a bunch of strangers, many of whom had never played in England. We had a very samey squad without pace in wide areas or in midfield. Fulham were badly coached in the beginning.

We never had the players for a plan B although we did change the plan on many an occasion and were badly beaten. So if we had had a decent squad to begin with then they would have performed better.

Brentford were settled, we never were. The introduction of the loan players late in the day proved how poor the squad was. As most of the loan players proved to be better than our squad.

There is only so much we can keep on blaming on the poor coaching. Too many poor players. Just look at the squad list.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fulham76

Quote from: Andy S on May 04, 2015, 01:43:41 PM
No it shows the importance of good coaching. Compensating for where you are week. ie if you cannot head it out from a corner it is always a good idea to have somebody on the back post. OK the manager may not be the best but we are stuck with who the chairman gives us

No, you say??? (And quite a definite no). You don't think a good manager is Important?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 04, 2015, 03:03:32 PM
Who picks these players, it's definitely not me, my information tells me it's not you either, it's certainly not the man in the Moon.  I don't think it's anyone on this board.
Wait a minute.... I remember now, it must be the Manager who we are Stuck with, who we were given, by the Chairman we are Stuck with. 
Gents, if you wish to have any further information. Just ask Sticky the Stick Insect. 

Is Sticky from Four Feather Falls ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 04, 2015, 01:55:32 PM
Funny old word " Stuck ".

So not only are we Stuck with a Chairman that lives in Cloud Cuckoo Land, but we are Stuck with the Manager he or his yes men give us.
Which tells me as I have mentioned before, that this has to be the Stickiest situation, since Sticky the Stick Insect got Stuck on a Sticky Bun.

Its actually. .

"Sticky the Stick Insect got Stuck on a Sticky Bun in Stickyville"...