watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Kevin Pietersen

Started by Dodgin, May 12, 2015, 09:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

Not a fan of Piers Morgan but he seemed to get the better of Brian Moores this morning on Talksport in quite a vicious ruck about Morgan's support of Kevin Pietersen, Bound to repeat it.

westcliff white

KP has had one decent score in county cricket in 2 years, it was a mighty score yes, but still only one score.

Personally we need to look forward and not back in terms of playing personnel, Broad and Anderson have both previously stated they would consider their international futures if he came back due to the bullying accusations. Then there is the debate who do you drop for him, He has stated on numerous occasions he wont play 3 or above in tests and reluctantly does it in one dayers (that to me isnt a team player), so do we drop, Bell, Root or Ali, probably Ali but then who bats 6 out of whats left. Best leave him out for the sake of the team and move on, same debates we had over Gower, Botham and many others in the past.

EDIT**** I would also add the Leicestershire have barely won a game for 2 years, so hardly decent opposition
Every day is a Fulham day

ron

Agree about looking forward. Pietersen had his chance, and turned out to be a divisive, egotistical and rather childish individual who had issues with being a team player. He often got out playing inappropriate shots at crucial points of matches. He then wanted to dictate terms in the way he was going to bestow his presence on the other team players.

What other evidence is required by the selectors to say "Thanks, but no thanks"...........?

snarks

The general comments I've heard are that he is brilliant but not a team player, and a very devisive influence in the dressing room because of his perceived attitude.

IIRC didn't strauss call him a C*** on air on Sky

westcliff white

Spot on Ron, there were time she should have dug in and all he did was play for himself, time to forget and move on.

cottage cheese

Brilliant player a few years ago but his test average is actually worse than a few of the current crop (which shows how bad we are as well!). Most importantly regardless of his relationship with Strauss and Cook, over the last few years he had developed this stupid ego on the pitch which he thinks he has the right to play ludicrous/inappropriate shots when we have needed him to stay in. He is too much of a risk when you see how quickly our batting order collapses!

OdecaMynoT

Some parallels with Berbatov.

KP's ego needs feeding like a shoal of ravenous piranha.He sees the ashes series as a means to feed it.

Simon Hughes comments this morning;

"It's too late, there's too much baggage. Pietersen was lucky to get another chance after the text messages to South African players behind Andrew Strauss's back.

"It's like being unfaithful to your wife - you might get away with it once but not twice. His book was his own infidelity, times 50. That compounded what he had already done.

"And look at the facts - in the last 10 Tests he played he averaged 34. His current Test average of 47 is the lowest it has been since 2006 so it's gradually been in decline.

"He's had injuries and I do think he was disengaged in the last Ashes too. He once had the 'X Factor', now he's got the 'I Factor'."
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

westcliff white

Strauss did say that yes in a moment when he thought he was off air and it was heard over the top of the on air commentators.

Beamer

Don't actually disagree with the above comments but to play devil's advocate perhaps he just gets sick of playing with less than average players around him who seem to think that just being in is all they have to achieve. How on earth did Trott get back in the team after his 'illness' having played in a handful of sub-standard games. He and Cook showed up everything that is wrong with the English game at the moment - a total lack of urgency and happy to try to occupy the crease. The other top nations have moved on from that and we are years behind them in both Test and 1 day attitude.

westcliff white

i agree re Trott, not so much with cook, think he just needs to lose the captaincy. Do we also use the same argument re Berbatov? he was likened in a post above is why i mention it.

Overall the correct decision has been made

Deni On T'Crossbar

As an Aussie, I'm glad you're not picking him! More chance of us winning this summer...

Woolly Mammoth

The next move they should make, is to get rid of Cook as Captain.
He is no Leader, he has no Backbone, he has definitely no Charisma.
I don't always agree with Piers Morgan and Shane Warne, but they had it spot on with their analysis of Cooks Gutless and Spineless Captaincy.
I cannot at the moment think of a worse Captain in any Sport in living memory.
Only in Cricket could this happen, where it depends on which university you went to, that will determine your selection for club and country.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

King_Crud

Quote from: snarks on May 12, 2015, 10:09:09 AM
The general comments I've heard are that he is brilliant but not a team player, and a very devisive influence in the dressing room because of his perceived attitude.

IIRC didn't strauss call him a C*** on air on Sky

It was "absolute front bottom". You need to get your facts correct  :dft011:

BalDrick

Quote from: Jono on May 12, 2015, 12:45:17 PM
As an Aussie, I'm glad you're not picking him! More chance of us winning this summer...
Like you're going to need any help! Guarantee, if he played 5 Tests against you this summer, 10 innings, he'd make no more than one ton, two tops.

Agree with all the others, pleased they haven't gone with him. Fair dos to Strauss, two big calls in his first week in the job - and I agree with both of them
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Forever Fulham

Please take Piers Morgan back.  We don't want him.  What a jerk.

sunburywhite

KP was too bouncy for even the South Africans so how bouncy must he be. Stories float about regarding his kit getting thrown out of a dressing room window with offers of "you are next"

If Chris Baird was in the dressing room with him he would have decked KP

Fantastic talent, I still remember the time he first played the reverse sweep for six but as wanted as a dose of the trots when you are wearing white trousers
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Supermitch

Quote from: sunburywhite on May 12, 2015, 05:26:14 PM

Fantastic talent, I still remember the time he first played the reverse sweep for six but as wanted as a dose of the trots when you are wearing white trousers

Spot on.  His Test career was in the decline in any event.  He's now got 1 incredible score against the mighty Leicestershire who haven't won a Championship Division 2 match for several years and people are clamouring for him to walk into the England Test side.  Madness.

If he were selected 1.  it would alienate several of the existing players (especially Messrs Cook, Broad and Anderson)  2. Who woudl he replace - the middle order of Ballance, Bell & Root are the best we have and he's not a no 6 batsman.   

Jonaldiniho 88

The one player who could take it to the Aussies. We are relatively strong in the middle order but I have a feeling we will be under immense pressure from their bowlers and he is the one player who could put pressure on them. As a spectator the ashes will be less interesting without him.

Jonaldiniho 88

Was that two negatives? More interesting with him.

ron

Captain;                       "Stay there and occupy the crease. This is test cricket you know"
KP;                              "OK"
Angel on KP's shoulder; "Look, the whole world is watching. Hook this pie thrower over backward square for 6"
Bowler;                        " Howzat!"
Commentator;              "Hmmm. Ill advised swipe from Pietersen gets him caught behind in his first over"
Angel, etc.                   "That wasn't your fault. Go and tell Sky Sports"
Captain;                       "****"
The world in general;      "****"
Australians;                  "Pick him, he'll be very good for you...."