more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff 16.05.15

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 16, 2015, 06:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Lasse Is More

Relegation from the Premier League was a bad period in the history of Fulham Football Club. But out of the darkness has come a beacon of promise in the shape of Lasse Vigen Christensen. The emergence of the 20-year-old gave Whites fans plenty of reason to cheer last season.

"We started off with a brand new team and a different manager to what we have now," Lasse tells the June edition of our digital magazine, Fultime. "Every manager will have his take on things and will pick his team. I wasn't getting as much time as I wanted, I was hoping to play from the start of the season, but it wasn't to be.

"I tried to do everything I could, and when the [managerial] change did come I was ready, physically and mentally. I was fit and I did everything I needed to do to take the chance and perform when Kit Symons came in. From then on I needed a few games to find my feet, but when you get more comfortable you get more confident and you start to show what you can do.

"I had a long run of games, I was happy and we won a lot. I scored and set up a lot of goals but then I had a little knock with the hamstring injury, which was a downer for me."

His consistent displays for the Whites didn't go unnoticed elsewhere, either. January saw the rumour mill churn out a supposed incoming bid from Aston Villa - "five mil!" shouts fellow Fultime interviewee Marcus Bettinelli from across the lounge, kindly letting us know the value of this theoretical offer for his teammate.

"I don't know about that myself, I don't spend a lot of time looking at things like that," Lasse explains. "I heard a bit from the lads but there was no way I was going to leave in January. It's nice people saying that - anyone would be lying if they said it isn't nice to get that appreciation from clubs in the best division.

"It would have been stupid for me to go in January. I'd only just got in the team and I still have lots to learn and do. I've been at this Club for a fairly long time, and when you're connected to a club you want to see them do well. I want to see Fulham back in the Premier League, that's all I'm thinking about.

"On a personal level I want to play as many games as I can here. It would be like hitting my head against a brick wall if I went anywhere having only played 20 or 30 games. There was no chance of me going anywhere."

As we end what has been an undoubtedly transitional season for the Whites, Christensen has no ambiguity in his mind as to what he wants Fulham to be aiming for next term.

"The Premier League has to be the goal for any player," he insists. "Fulham is a Premier League club if you ask me. I came to a Premier League club. All the players here have that aim to get to the top flight. What makes it so hard is that 23 other teams have that same aim.

"It's not just us who can't do it in one season after getting relegated. It's a transitional process, reshaping the team for the future. That's what we're doing now and hopefully we'll look to be up there next year.

"This season we only started getting points after eight games of the campaign and that gives you a mountain to climb. Come the end of the season Kit will have a chance to shape the team how he wants, with the players he wants, and look to a better start than one point in eight if we want to be anywhere near promotion at the end of the campaign. Next season we'll be more prepared as individuals and as a team for our goal of reaching the Premier League. We're looking to give it a right go."

To read the full interview with Christensen, check out the summer edition of Fultime, which is free for all Season Ticket Holders and Members.

Just some of the exclusives from the jam-packed digital magazine are:

Interviews with Chairman Shahid Khan, Chief Football Officer Mike Rigg and Manager Kit Symons
    Marcus Bettinelli discusses his breakthrough season
    Ross McCormack picks his favourite football memories
    Rodney Marsh on the five games that shaped his football life
    Micky Adams answers your questions via our social media channels
    We track down the illusive John Cutbush                 
    And Leroy Rosenior names his Fulham Dream XI

Reading your copy of Fultime is easy - just visit pocketmags.com/codeactivation and follow the quick activation process and enter your unique code.

Once activated you can read Fultime at Pocketmags.com on your PC and Mac by visiting 'My Magazines' and clicking on the issue cover. Or you can read on your iPad, Android tablet, Amazon Kindle Fire or Windows 8.1 device by downloading the Pocketmags app from your device's App Store and logging in with the Pocketmags account you created when activating your code.

*Note: The redemption code is unique to one person only.

For non-Season Ticket Holders and non-Members, Fultime can be downloaded for £2.49 via Pocketmags.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/15/lasse-is-more

Friendsoffulham

Ruiz's Contract Extended

The Club can confirm that it has taken up an option within Bryan Ruiz's contract to extend his term until June 2016.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/15/ruizs-contract-extended

Friendsoffulham

Bryan Ruiz reveals Fulham have forced through one-year contract extension

The Costa Rican international had hoped to leave Craven Cottage this summer.

The fact that 29-year-old attacking midfielder Bryan Ruiz wants to leave Fulham, is no secret, but the club are clearly unwilling to make his eventual departure easy.

In an interview with Costa Rican newspaper, La Nación, Ruiz revealed that Fulham have activated a one-year extension clause on his contract, which was set to expire this summer, thus preventing him from leaving for free.

He explained: "Today they've informed me of the contract renewal. So, now I'll have to wait again, because I now have another year contracted with them. I don't believe it's with the intention of keeping me there. Quite the opposite. It's to see if they can benefit financially, which is understandable."

Asked if that means the departure he'd hoped for this summer, is now going to prove problematic, Ruiz acknowledged: "It's looking difficult, although Fulham don't get the sort of money they got before, in the Premier League."

Ruiz also indicated that if Fulham are keen to play things the hard way, then so is he, pointing out: "I'll be free to talk to other clubs in five months and negotiate as a free agent. Speaking with my agent, we've come to the conclusion that we shouldn't be desperate. In the end, if I stay five months and then talk business with other clubs, it's easier for me."

Back in February, also speaking with La Nación, Ruiz underlined his displeasure at remaining with Fulham, following their relegation from the Premier League.

That turned to anger when a loan move to La Liga outfit Levante collapsed, with their president, Quique Catalan, blaming Fulham for not sending paperwork through for FIFA international clearance, before the transfer deadline.

Levante haven't forgotten about him though, with local media outlet Levante-EMV, suggesting they would have been interested in making a move this summer, if Ruiz was available on a free transfer.

In Portugal, sports outlet O Jogo report that Sporting Lisbon made firm enquiries, but have now backed away, after they were given what they consider an "unthinkable" asking price of €6 million. This response by Fulham, coming since the London club informed Ruiz of his one-year extension.

Ruiz now accepts with resignation: "Fulham own my contract, so I'll have to stay put for now, but it's not what I want."

If indeed Fulham are demanding €6 million for the player, it would seem highly unlikely they'll get their asking price. Meanwhile, as his interview comments clearly indicate, Ruiz is prepared to play the waiting game until January 2016.

SEE ALSO: Report: Fulham to battle Nottingham Forest for free agent former Freedman favourite

From that point, he'll be free to hold negotiations with any interested clubs, then depart for free the following summer. In the meantime, The Cottagers would be stuck with a player who really doesn't want to play for them, then lose him for absolutely nothing.

Whether Fulham will be willing to budge on their valuation, remains to be seen, but that's clearly what the player is hoping for. At present though, it would have to drop significantly, to rekindle interest from clubs such as Sporting Lisbon.

Should Fulham have cut their losses with Bryan Ruiz?

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/15/bryan-ruiz-reveals-fulham-have-forced-through-one-year-contract/

Friendsoffulham

Fulham frustrate Ruiz

Bryan Ruiz has been left frustrated after Fulham decided to extend his contract with the club for another year. Fulham frustrate Ruiz The Costa Rica international has made it very clear that he wants to leave Craven Cottage but the Championship outfit have instead taken up an option on the forward's deal and added another year on. The 29-year-old arrived at Fulham back in 2011 but many thought a move away would happen after the club were relegated from the Premier League last season. The Cottagers have instead decided to extend Ruiz' contract by a further year but the latter believes this has been done to financially benefit the Championship outfit. "Today they've informed me of the contract renewal. So, now I'll have to wait again, because I now have another year contracted with them," he explained to Costa Rican newspaper La Nacion. "I don't believe it's with the intention of keeping me there. Quite the opposite. It's to see if they can benefit financially, which is understandable." Read more about Championship. - See more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/fulham-frustrate-ruiz-1769403.html#sthash.bh41TjQK.dpuf

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/fulham-frustrate-ruiz-1769403.html

Friendsoffulham

Fulham extend Ruiz deal for another year

Fulham have taken up the option of extending Brian Ruiz's contract by an extra year.

The Costa Rica forward, 29, looked to be on his way out of Craven Cottage in January when he agreed a loan move to Spanish side Levante.

But Fifa refused to ratify the move as not all of the paperwork was completed before the transfer window closed.

He returned to make a further 12 appearances in the latter half of the campaign, ending with five goals in 32 games in all competitions.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-extend-ruiz-deal-for-another-year

Friendsoffulham

Putting Plans In Place

In late December 2014, Fulham Chairman Shahid Khan welcomed Mike Rigg to the Whites as the Club's new Chief Football Officer.

It was a major appointment that will see Rigg work collaboratively with Kit Symons, as well as the scouting team, the Academy, sports performance, medical and analytics at Motspur Park.

Rigg's football career began when he was a non-contract player at Chester City, where he also worked for the club's Football in the Community scheme.

He later moved on to Wrexham where he spent six years developing their Community Programme, before he joined the Welsh FA, initially as regional development officer but progressing to become technical director.

He then worked in various technical development and scouting roles for Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City and Queens Park Rangers before joining the FA in 2013. He left his role as their head of talent identification to accept the job at Craven Cottage.

Ahead of what is likely to be a busy summer, Fultime sat down with the man himself to discuss his plans for the Club.

How have you found life at Fulham so far?

Fulham is exactly as I expected it to be. It's how the Chairman described it but I also knew about its reputation. It's a well-run Club off the pitch, with good people who all want it to do well. Obviously I came at a tricky time following not only relegation, but a really poor start in the Championship, but everyone around was really positive and welcoming and, even though I actually didn't start full-time until March, I'd spent a lot of time around the staff so had a really good feel for the place.

Your title is Chief Football Officer - what exactly does that role entail?

I'm here to help improve football structure and ultimately the playing side of the business, but I want to do that in conjunction with the non-playing side so that we all work together as a team. Primarily I'll be looking at the whole of the football business from the youngest Academy age groups all the way through to the First Team, from infrastructure in these areas to sports science, the use of analytics and the way we scout and recruit players, to ensure there's a structure and philosophy in place that can underpin and maintain the long-term aims, which are specifically to get back to, and to stay in, the Premier League.

How closely do you work with Kit Symons?

Very. It's important that the Manager and I are attuned to the philosophy we're attempting to put in place for it to work. It's been a learning curve for Kit which is where I come in, to alleviate some of the pressure that's heaped on him, not just by supporters, but also by himself. He wants the Club to do well and knows the areas that have hindered us, but now we're finally safe we can plan for better times ahead. It's important that I'm here to support Kit in everything he does but also challenge him and question him in a constructive way. My job isn't to micromanage but to help pull this all together as part of a team effort.

Has recruitment for next season already begun and how much research goes into signing a player?

We've been looking at the squad we have and the players we need for months; my background is talent identification and a lot of work goes into that area. Some of that approach is scientific, and is backed up with some fantastic analytics that play a very important part in the identification process in terms of a player's performance history. But we also need to ensure we have the right players for the Championship, for the type of football we play, and for the dressing room environment; a player that will settle easily and whose personality is going to be a good fit for the rest of the squad and, ultimately, one that's affordable, and will hold his value. All of those facets need to combine to get the right players, so it's a very detailed process. It can be described as quantitative analysis and qualitative information. The key is to get that balance right.

How do you go about persuading players to come to Fulham?

London is always an attractive proposition, but the training facility, the ground, the fans, the support they need for their family, it all plays a part. Some players want to achieve things, others sadly don't and will sign for the wrong reasons. We need a squad of determined individuals that want to work hard, and play as a team for the good of the Club. It sounds simple but, trust me, if it was that easy, there'd have been a lot more teams challenging at the top of a league. If it's just about money, then we need to walk away. If it's about fighting for a team to get back in the Premier League, then that's the passion we want to see from a player.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/15/mike-rigg-fultime

Friendsoffulham

Fulham trigger contract extension of creative playmaker

Fulham have triggered a clause in creative midfielder Bryan Ruiz's contract that extends his stay with the Cottagers until June 2016, the club have confirmed.

Interest in the player was very high during last summer's window after the Costa Rica international put in some very impressive performances at the World Cup finals tournament in Brazil, however, he was contracted to Fulham and the London club didn't feel that anyone could match their valuation of the player.

The Costa Rican skipper has made 71 international appearances, scoring 16 goals in an international career that has spanned over 10 years.

Ruiz signed for Fulham in 2011 for an undisclosed fee from Dutch side FC Twente where he had scored 35 goals in 65 appearances.

He spent half of the season on loan at Dutch side PSV Eindhoven where he managed five goals in 14 appearances.

The now 29-year-old will play a key role next season for Fulham in attempting to get them back into the Premier League at the second time of asking following a disappointing 2014/15 campaign.

Fulham fans..... What do you make of this news? Was it essential that you signed up Bryan Ruiz for next season? Let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comments below!

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-trigger-contract-extension-of-creative-playmaker/

Friendsoffulham

Christensen says he is happy at Fulham

Lasse Vigen Christensen has said he was flattered to be linked with Aston Villa but is happy at Fulham.

The 20-year-old midfielder's impressive form in his debut season led to rumours of a January move to the Premier League, with Villa said to be closely monitoring him.

But Christensen, who missed the final two months of the campaign with hamstring trouble, said he would prefer to stay and help Fulham into the top flight.

He told Fulham's digital magazine, Fultime: "It would have been stupid for me to go in January. I'd only just got in the team and I still have lots to learn and do.

"I heard a bit from the lads [about the Villa rumours] but there was no way I was going to leave in January.

"It's nice people saying that – anyone would be lying if they said it isn't nice to get that appreciation from clubs in the best division.

"I've been at this club for a fairly long time and when you're connected to a club you want to see them do well.

"I want to see Fulham back in the Premier League. That's all I'm thinking about."

Christensen added he was confident the Whites could be in the promotion race next season despite finishing 17th in the Championship this time around.

He said: "The Premier League has to be the goal for any player. Fulham is a Premier League club if you ask me.

"All the players here have that aim to get to the top flight. What makes it so hard is that 23 other teams have that same aim.

"It's not just us who can't do it in one season after getting relegated. It's a transitional process, reshaping the team for the future.

"That's what we're doing now and hopefully we'll look to be up there next year."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-fulham-star-flattered-by-aston-villa-link-but-says-he-wants-to-stay

Friendsoffulham

Player Of The Season: Ross McCormack

Having taken a huge 58.7 per cent of the votes, Ross McCormack is your 2014/15 Player of the Season.

Following his summer arrival at the Club from Leeds United, McCormack got off the mark for the Whites with the winner against rivals Brentford in the Capital One Cup in August, before notching his first league goals in a 5-3 defeat at Nottingham Forest three weeks later.

But it was the turn of the year when the goals really started flowing, with the striker finding the net five times in January, including a hat-trick in our 3-2 victory over Forest at Craven Cottage.

He ended the season in scintillating form, too, with seven goals in his final seven games, notably notching another treble in our final home match of the season against promotion contenders Middlesbrough.

Ross' closest contender in the poll was Marcus Bettinelli whose impressive breakthrough campaign with Fulham didn't go unnoticed as he took 18.5 per cent of the votes.

Lasse Vigen Christensen, who produced a series of dazzling displays before injury curtailed his progress, came in third having been considered our best player this season by 6.5 per cent of fans.

Over the next few days, we'll be looking at our top three's best bits of 2014/15.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/15/player-of-the-season

Friendsoffulham

Fulham make sure they can sell Bryan Ruiz rather than let him walk for free

Whites looking to cash in on World Cup international

Fulham have triggered a clause in Bryan Ruiz's contract that allows the World Cup international to be sold rather than walk away for free.

Manager Kit Symons has made no secret of the fact the midfielder is chaffing at the bit to bolt Craven Cottage, although a player who cost the club £10.6 million in August 2011 has plenty of suitors.

A loan move to La Liga outfit Levante was scuppered by red tape in February, and Ruiz has been monitored by a number of Dutch outfits, notably PSV Eindhoven where he was on loan last season.

Serie A Palermo, and Valencia also looked the possibility of taking the Costa Rican last season.

An official Fulham statement said: "The Club can confirm that it has taken up an option within Bryan Ruiz's contract to extend his term until June 2016."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-make-sure-can-sell-9264111

Friendsoffulham

McCormack's Message

Upon learning that the fans had named him their 2014/15 Player of the Season on Friday afternoon, Ross McCormack had the following to say:

"I'm delighted to win the Player of the Season award, it means a lot to me after a tough season. I played over 50 matches and really enjoyed it and now I want to score more goals next season. I'd like to thank my teammates for helping me settle in quickly and I'd like to thank the fans for voting for me."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/may/15/mccormacks-message

Friendsoffulham

Fulham Set to Bid for Exciting Teenager

Are Fulham Football Club showing some serious ambition?

The reason I ask is that the transfer gossip in one particular tabloid publication has Fulham, reportedly, showing an interest in a teenager who many tip to be a star of the future.

The youngster in question is Demari Gray and 18-year-old who has attracted rave reviews whilst performing for Birmingham City.

Gray has a year left on his contract and has attracted significant interest from the Premier League new-boys, Bournemouth, who have had three bids rejected already whilst Liverpool and PSV Eindhoven are also, reportedly, in the reckoning.

However, the aforementioned referenced tabloid, reckons Fulham could be stealing a march on their rivals by offering Birmingham City £5 million for the teenager.

We`ll keep our eyes and ears out for any further developments.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=399855#ixzz3aK729JM6

Friendsoffulham

Should Kit Symons Remain As Fulham Manager?

If last week's general election has taught us one thing, it's that social media can often be a bit of an echo chamber. One opinion becomes the vocal majority. But is the vocal majority actually a majority?

In the case of Kit Symons' future as Fulham manager I'm not sure. We know for sure that the vocal majority want the Fulham manager to be someone else, but is it actually a majority of Fulham fans that want Kit gone?

It certainly looks and sounds for now as though Symons is to remain Fulham manager; but what follows is an in-depth look at his performance as Fulham manager to date and the reasons people may or may not want him replaced.

Back to social media; what is so unique to the Symons situation is that there is much less vitriol in this debate than over the fates of previous managers such as Jol and Magath. Their departures were very much wanted sackings. In the current scenario, it is not so much that fans seem to want Symons sacked more that they just want somebody else to have his job. Symons is like a politician with a good personality and bad policies.

The Symons question is as much an existential one as it is one simply of results. After two lacklustre seasons in the Premier League that culminated in our relegation in 2014, the majority of the fans expected something better last year, both in terms of performance and results. Regardless of the start under Magath, it has been the lack of quality football under Symons that has led to his alienation as much as the results.

Symons' tendency to revert to risk aversion in every situation led to some dour football at times, often manifesting itself in substitutions and tactics that seemed only to make sense to him. However, given our precarious position when he took over, was that justified? As paying customers we are several years removed from Fulham being classified as value for money entertainment, but Symons' job last season was predicated on results and not entertainment – so did fulfil his job in keeping us up?

So here's the crux of my question? Has Symons simply proven the victim of a poisoned chalice, where the situation meant he could never truly succeed or is he now in a hole of his own doing and at the limit of his managerial potential?

To answer that question we have to be both subjective and objective. As well as asking what do we as fans and paying customers want from our football team next season, and who is likely to be best placed to deliver those wishes?

There were three periods of management last season; Felix Magath, Kit Symons – Caretaker & Kit Symons – Manager. We know the first eight games under Magath were a disaster, so let's write them off. So dividing Symons' tenure into two, we have the eight games he was caretaker and the 37 he was permanent manager.

In order to assess whether or not he is the right man for Fulham going forward I will look at the following areas; Results, Performances, Style and Intangibles.

1. Results
Kit As Caretaker
Wins    Losses    Draws    Average Points Per Game
5    3    1    1.78
Kit As Manager
11    15    11    1.19

As you can see, results under Kit got considerably worse after he was appointment the permanent manager on 29th October. Interestingly enough, an average points total of 1.19 per game extrapolated over the course of the entire season would have had us finish in 17th, the same position as we actually did. The totals in the table above include the four cup fixtures we played under Symons after he became permanent manager. If you remove the cup fixtures, the PPG total becomes slightly higher at 1.21, which would still have had us finish 17th.

What can you conclude from that? Symons' good start merely served to balance out Magath's bad one. 17th was a justified league position based on the entire season. Yes, it was Magath's squad so that must be taken into account, but with two loan windows and the January transfer window, Symons' cannot be given a free pass. Symons' had a total of 39 league games and we finished a thoroughly justified 17th.

2. Performances

One of the big accusations against Symons' Fulham was our lackadaisical defending. To the naked eye, Symons, as a former defender, has shown a staggering lack of ability to get any improvement out of our defenders. Is that the case statistically and how much of this is down to them being the wrong players to begin with?

What is interesting is if you compare our goal difference over the two Symons periods:
Kit as Caretaker
Goals For    Goals Against    Goal Difference    Goals for per game    Goals Against Per Game
17    13    4    2.13    1.63
Kit as Manager
Goals For    Goals Against    Goal Difference    Goals for per game    Goals Against Per Game
46    60    -14    1.24    1.62

In truth, the defence maintained a nearly identical level of performance throughout Symons' entire tenure. However, the attack got considerably worse. If we delve even deeper into the numbers, it is possible to see that Fulham under Symons actually had a break even goal difference all the way until we played Blackburn at the end of January.

I find this worsening of performance particularly concerning as you would expect a team to perform better once a manager has had a time to coach and influence a team, especially considering the loan and transfer windows. However, under Symons, we got considerably worse once the initial gloss of his appointment wore off.

It was this performance over the latter half of the season that has turned many fans against him as there was simply no sign of any improvement, and certainly no sign of any coaching impact on his behalf.

If you believe the theory that luck and confidence played their part in his caretaker spell, these numbers might give your theory some credence.

3. Style

One of the big criticisms levied at Symons is his lack of adventure. He is tactically the equivalent of a man who goes to an ice cream parlour and orders vanilla with no toppings. Worse than that though, at times the football under his leadership appeared to lack a coherent purpose or style other than trying to eke out as many points as possible. Symons' philosophy was certainly one of the glass being half empty. Why enhance a lead when you can protect it?

However, the end of Fulham's season was characterised by panic tactics. We were in trouble and needed points to keep us up. This led to Matt Smith's recall from Bristol City and a change in style. If we compare Symons' tenure as permanent manager when Smith started and when he didn't, the results look particularly ominous:
Games When Matt Smith starts
2    1    4    1.43
Games When Matt Smith Doesn't Start
9    14    7    1.13

When Matt Smith didn't start, Fulham's PPG total was 1.13, a 0.3 PPG fall from games when he did start. Considering it was Symons who loaned Smith out in the first place and then showed reluctance to use him, we can assume his eventual inclusion was out of desperation rather than desire.

When Symons played his tactics, i.e. not the emergency long ball to Smith, our PPG fell below his overall average PPG, meaning we were worse off results-wise when Symons was left to his own devices tactically.

Goal statistics don't make for better reading:
Matt Smith Starts
8    8    0    1.14    1.14
Matt Smith Doesn't Start
38    52    -14    1.27    1.73

Stylistically this doesn't bode well for Kit. With Smith, we play a tighter, simpler and more controlled game (long ball doesn't exactly take much instruction). We score less but we concede less. Simply put, we are boring, but reasonably effective.

Without Smith, we are a bit more interesting, but considerably worse. Symons systematically failed to strike any kind of balance between style and substance. This is something most of us could have said without statistical evidence. Our football was rarely aesthetically pleasing and Symons never really showed any grasp of consistent tactics. The obsession with a narrow diamond formation was a particular failing. Tactically it fast became one game to the next, survive and protect. Considering our start that's hardly surprising, but it was very bad to watch at times.

4. Intangibles

This is where the debate becomes personal and very subjective. There are some fans who just don't like sacking managers, while there are undoubtedly some who do. There are some fans that'll defend Symons because he is a "Fulham man", there are others, myself included, who feel that shouldn't come into it.

However, there are several other unquantifiable intangibles to Symons' management style that will contribute to his judgement:

A) Stalled development – I'm not going to claim that with Roberts and Dembele playing 40 games we'd have won the league, far from it. However, Pat Roberts played 450 minutes over the course of the entire season, and Dembele 575. That's less time than it would take to sit through the entire Hobbit trilogy. How on earth are they going to develop into a position where he can help us next season by playing so little this year? The same can be said of George Williams, Moussa Dembele and several others, such as Jack Grimmer who was dropped in favour of a loanee who was not discernibly better. All the while 21 year old Sean Kavanagh played over 20 games despite largely floundering.

B) Favouritism – Symons' inconsistent and at times "teacher's pet" style of team selection certainly wound up a large proportion of the Craven Cottage crowd. Players like Jazz Richards, Kavanagh and Tunnicliffe were all at times shown favouritism that was hard to comprehend. On the reverse, the likes of Chris David, Roberts, Dembele and Matt Smith were often cast aside without warning.

C) Square Pegs in Round Holes – McCormack as a left midfielder, Tunnicliffe as a winger, Kavanagh as midfielder, Bodurov as a right back. Symons' team selections were often hampered by a lack of players to choose from and littered with players playing out of position. How many more points would we have gotten should Ross have played the entire season up front? Why did Kit both refuse to play with width and then not sign a single winger?

D) Hands in the Pockets – This is a minor point, but I'd really like a manager who is less passive during the matches. Contemplative can begin to look like cluelessness if it's your only move.

E) The Smile – this isn't a list of reasons he's not the man. If we play well, Kit and his enthusiastic smile are very easy to like. We just didn't play well often enough.

F) The Squad – our squad balance was poor last season, but Symons had opportunities to re-shape it and didn't set the world alight with his choices. However, the summer is the best time to buy and sell players. Does Kit deserve a summer window? Or indeed will he get to control the squad framework even if he does stay on? With Mike Rigg controlling talent identification now, there is an argument to say having a good coach as the manager is more important than ever. Is Symons that man?

G) Experience – Kit Symons' managerial career is 37 games old so let's not put the cart before the horse and call his career over. However, he's had several seasons managing at youth level so we're not talking about an ex-player taking the immediate leap. If Kit stays in his post and shows signs of learning from last season then I'm all for giving him a chance. However, there is a school of thought that suggests 37 games is more than enough to show your capabilities.

H) Substitutions – I've alluded to this above, but Symons' biggest flaw in the eyes of many fans is his mis-use of substitutions.  Either he wouldn't use them or he'd be defensive. The very few times we did manage to see the likes of Woodrow, Williams, McCormack and Roberts on the field together were electric, but all too few and far between.  The conundrum facing fans and ownership alike, was this risk aversion a product of circumstance? For all our sake I hope so.

Conclusion

I look at the current situation as an opportunity. We must decide whether or not Symons is the man to help develop and implement a strategy to return Fulham to the Premier League. As a club, we must stop being reactionary and start to get ahead of the curve. If Symons stays on just because people felt "he deserved a chance", only to lead us on to the path to 17th next season and get sacked, then we as a club will have failed. No ifs and no buts.

Do I think he deserves that chance?

Symons was the right man at the right time after Magath. The players and fans needed a smile, a hug and their hands held. Symons did that, and we stayed up, but next season is an opportunity for a clean break from recent failings and, for me, that includes a fresh start at manager as well.

I think for Kit to actually be sacked would be mighty harsh considering his modus operandi last season. I'd like to think the club might make room for him to stay either as an assistant or back in the youth ranks where he succeeded before. Or I'd love for Kit to admit his own limitations and step back into a reduced role, but I think we all know he'd be too proud to do so.

This summer is a time to grab our future as a club by its undercarriage and take control. That might mean being ruthless. Just look at Norwich, they were in a very similar situation to us 12 months ago and let one of their own, Neil Adams, stay on as manager last summer only to dismiss him during the season as results didn't improve. They now sit 180 minutes from a return to the Premier League.

No longer can Fulham amble on the path to mediocrity. Starting from the top, Fulham must come out of this summer with confidence and a clear, united message. If that means Kit Symons is manager then I hope and expect him to show a willingness to learn and the club to show him support whilst displaying progress on and off the field. If they do that, then they have my full support and I suspect they'll have yours too. However, if this is simply another risk not taken, another stride towards the middle ground, then the club is on a hiding to nothing and it won't take them long to find that out.

COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/05/should-kit-symons-remain-as-fulham-manager/

Friendsoffulham

Championship outfit Fulham trigger option on Bryan Ruiz's £45,000-a-week deal

The west London club have taken up the option in his contract that ensures the 29-year-old can be sold rather than walk away for nothing

Midfield maestro: Fulham have taken up the option on Bryan Ruiz

Championship outfit Fulham have triggered the clause in Bryan Ruiz's £45,000-a-week deal.

The Costa Rican World Cup star featured 32 times for the Cottagers last season and was expected to be released when his contract expires in the summer.

However, the west London club have taken up the option in his deal that ensures the 29-year-old can be sold rather than walk away for nothing.

Fulham struggled to offload the midfielder in the last transfer window as he saw a loan move to La Liga outfit Levante fall through.

However, the Whites are confident they can flog the former FC Twente star during the close season.

Ruiz has managed 13 goals in 106 games for Fulham after his arrival from the Eredivisie outfit in a 10.6million deal in 2011.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/championship-outfit-fulham-trigger-option-5704200

Friendsoffulham

Reported Aston Villa target Lasse Vigen Christensen comments on his Fulham future

Christensen has been linked with Aston Villa, but he has admitted his future lies with Fulham.

Speaking to West London Sport, 20-year-old Christensen has admitted that his future lies with Fulham, despite interest in him from Villa this season.

"It would have been stupid for me to go in January. I'd only just got in the team and I still have lots to learn and do. I heard a bit from the lads [about the Villa rumours] but there was no way I was going to leave in January.

"I've been at this club for a fairly long time and when you're connected to a club you want to see them do well. I want to see Fulham back in the Premier League. That's all I'm thinking about."

It was the Mirror who reported the interest from Villa back in December, as the 20-year-old Dane has impressed this term in the Championship. It is expected that they will once again enter the chase for him this summer, but his apparent desire to stay with Fulham will disappoint Villa fans.

Christensen, a central midfielder - who can also play in defence - moved to Craven Cottage in 2012 from the youth system of FC Midtjylland in his homeland, and has really taken his chance this season.

SEE ALSO: Manager makes comments on 18-year-old wonderkid that should disappoint Villa, Spurs fans

Following Fulham's relegation, the club were forced to sell a number of players, and the youngster was promoted to the first-team, and has since made 29 appearances. He has scored five goals and register seven assists, and he is considered as one of the real talents in the Championship.

Villa's interested look concrete, as they have a young team that they are keen to add with by signing more talent, but with Christensen choosing loyalty over a quick jump to the Premier League, it looks as if he will be staying with the club this summer, with a contract that lasts until 2017.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/15/reported-aston-villa-target-lasse-vigen-christensen-comments-on/

cmg

So now we know where LVC has been these past few months.
Held for ransom by the Barn Elms Boat Club.
If he has now been released to play for us again I guess we can kiss goodbye to the Riverside development. They play hardball, those yachtsmen.