watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Squad analysis

Started by Deuce, May 17, 2015, 04:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deuce

Please feel free to submit your own squad analysis.

I must first say that I am not one of those supporters who believe that sacking everyone and hiring a new manager and buying new players solves every problem or that change is always for the best. Quite the contrary actually, I firmly believe that the clubs desperate belief in change is what has lead us up to this point (albeit, our inability to change our squad under Jol is a big factor).

I also believe that this season has been as chaotic as the previous one and that our players have been manhandled and abused by incompetent management for a long time. So, I don't fault our players entirely. They might merely be the result of just poor managers and an unstable environment.

With that being said. I still believe that some heads do need to roll. Some change is needed, to say the least.

Manager
Symons

I love Kit for what hes done for the club in terms of his youth coaching and during his days as a solid centerback. But sentimentality aside, Kit has had over 30 games to prove himself with a decent squad and failed. Sure, as I mentioned above, the mentality of the squad might be in question after Magaths regime and the overall changes from Jol to Magath, and that has most certainly played some part of it. But all in all, Kits limitations as a manager has still shone through.

Need for strengthening: High.
After two abysmal seasons I feel that the club need to go back to basics. Much like when Roy was appointed, I feel that the club is in similar need of someone experienced who has a proven record of Championship/PL managing. Not always the most sexiest or funniest, I believe that we need the basics in place for us to excel. We need a stable platform really.

I would like to see Kit sacked. But as the days go by, I find it less and less likely.

Goalkeepers
Bettinelli
Kiraly
Joronen

Fairly pleased with our goalkeepers. Bettys first season has been a proper ray of light and he will continue to develop and improve with age and experience. Kiraly would do for a decent back up and Joronen will obviously need to play on a regular basis and needs to go out on loan.

Need for strengthening:Low.
Betty is our clear first choice with Kiraly as back up.

Defenders
Hutchinson
Bodurov
Burn
Grimmer
Kavanagh
Voser (?)
Hoogland (?)
Amorebieta (?)

Well whenever your (re)building a squad, its appropriate to start at the back, at the base. I believe that without a solid defence, you don't get much else from other parts of your team. And Fulham is in badly need of not only good, individual defenders but an overall structured and organized defensive unit.

The future of Hoogland is to my knowledge in the dark at the moment. His contract is expiring in the summer and I'm not sure if he wants to stay or not. Or that we should keep him. He started out strong, proving his worth, and with his versatility I feel that we could have some use for him. However, in my mind his future should be decided on his wage demands. I don't see him as an integral part of the team and therefore he shouldn't hold down a high wage. Vosers future should be judged on the same terms as Hoogland. Hes a decent rotation option, but I don't want him earning more than a average Championship wage. Amorebieta is a high earner and should be sold. His ability will simply never justify his wage in my opinion.

Need for strengthening: High.
Of course, but we wont be signing four new defenders so we need to be smart. Start in the middle, go for a genuinely good and proven cb. Let Burn, Hutch and Bodurov go for the partner role. I still believe there is some potential in Burn/Hutch. Wingbacks isn't AS in crucial need of strengthening but I do feel that a lb and even perhaps a rb wouldn't be a bad thing, letting Grimmer/Kavanagh either fight for a place or go out on loan. They both did a decent job sometimes but did look out of place as well during the season. However, rb and lb are not among the high priorities. Burgess and Donnelly should go out on loan.

Midfield
Roberts
Kacaniklic
Williams
LVC
Parker
Tunnicliffe
Hyndman

So much talent here in LVC, Roberts, Williams and Hyndman and they should all be involved a lot more next season. Players who should look to be integral if not now then soon. Now, the recruitment to the midfield will vary depending on who's running the team and which formation he prefers. 442, 4231, 41212 yadayada I really don't mind as long we show much more of an idea of a tactic than Kit showed us. What do we want our midfield to be, and our team to play like? Those questions must be answered first

In need of strengthening: Medium.
Yes, regardless of which formation we use there still is one or two player types that we need. Working our way from the back four, a midfield anchor would be a nice addition next to LVC or Hyndman and a high priority in my view.

Ruiz is a goner, as far as I'm concerned.

Attack
McCormack
Smith
Woodrow
Dembele
Taggart
Rodallega

McCormack is a key player to build our squad around, Woody is a great talent who does need some work and Matt Smith showed us his class returning from his loan spell. Dembele is still a talent which will continue to develop. Taggart remain a bit of a mystery for me but he deserves a decent chance, perhaps in the shape of a loan spell at first?

Rodallegas ability and contribution simply doesn't justify his wage. Hes not better than Ross, and with Woody and Dembele more promising and Smith providing another style of football - theres simply no room for Hugo. Hes great when hes great and a real threat but Id rather a really good new cb or dmc to hold down a wage like that rather than him.

In need of strengthening: Low.
McCormack had a great first season, imagine what he can do with a proper manager with a proper tactical sense and some decent support with emerging talents such as Roberts, Williams, and so on. Woody and Dembele still developing and Smith being our Shola Ameobi, I feel as we're all set in attack and would prefer if we'd spend our money on the other end of the pitch.

Out:
Stekelenburg
Amorebieta
Ruiz
Mitroglu
Rodallega
Eisfeld
David(?)

In:
1. CB
2. DMC
3. Rb/Lb
4. Winger or mc (depending on formation)

Classic94

This is a decent summary.

There are major doubts over Kit's tactical aptitude and his ability to build a squad capable of promotion. I've made my views clear in the past so don't wish to repeat myself but, in Championship terms, next season is our last opportunity to spend big before parachute payments expire. We have to get it right.

Our defense is shambolic. To ship 80+ goals at Championship level is farcical and has to be addressed. Grimmer, Burn and Husband (?) are worth persevering with. I'd also keep Hutch and Kavanagh as squad players. The rest can go. Wholesale changes are needed.

The midfield is seriously lacking proven talent. LVC, Hyndman, Williams and Roberts have big futures but only LVC is a nailed-on starter. Tunnicliffe and Parker are good utility players and I'd take a closer look at Eisfeld over pre-season. Kaca has been a major disappointment and we should consider selling for the right price. In truth, we need several additions - a couple of central midfield players to ease Parker's workload and a minimum of two out and out wingers.

As you rightly say, attacking reinforcements are not a priority. McCormack, Smith, Woodrow and Dembele offer us plenty of options and Taggart seems promising. There is a possibility that Dembele and/or Taggart will be loaned out, but yes, we should focus our resources elsewhere.

We require 8 or more signings of genuine quality.

colinwhite

A good post Deuce . Generally speaking we have too many` complimentary players` and not enough `main men`.
We have no leader at the back . Scott parker is our leader in the midfield but is no holding midfielder and therefore compromised in his role . Ross is the main man up front , but  has been played mostly  out wide . We don't just need new players we also need more leaders on the pitch ,starting with an athletic strong decent defensive central midfielder .
We also have a side totally lacking in pace . We need to get a tleast  2 players in with genuine pace or we have no chance of progressing .
Kit simply doesn't have the charisma or nouse to take us forward , although like you I think we owe him a lot .

snarks

Disagree with the goalkeeping points. Kiraly is past his best. I would like to see a goalkeeper who you have no doubt could take over if Betts lost form or was injured. Kiraly does not give me that confidence.

Al-Habsi or Carson from Wigan would be much better choices.

Not wanting this to turn in to a Kit thread, but I think he deserves a chance with his squad. The main thing for me is if he sticks to what he said at the end of the season about big changes.

MJG

Might as well put the current squad contract as it stands today:

cmg

Even if we ignore Stekelenburg, which I think is wise, the goalkeeping position has changed a bit with Joronen now fit. Rodak continues to impress, although he is only 18 and may be the one who would benefit from a loan.

colinwhite

We need an experienced keeper to compete with Bettinelli who like this season will have his ups and downs next year . Thats simply what young players do .
I like Marcus but he still has along way to go to convince me that he is a number one in a TOP championship side(as it stands now ,of course he may develop into that , we shall see ) .

filham

Tend to agree with most of the above and yes we need a dominant centre back and  goalkeeping cover but we just have to have a natural pacey wide left player who can provide good crosses. We tried numerous players in that position last season and none caused problems to defences.

McBride78

Great post.  When you look at the squad i can't help but feel there is a lot of talent there.  The defense is a mess, but as that midfield matures if we can stop bleeding goals there is no reason we should not be far better.  Managment / tactics and defense.  Add two quality players in the back, one creative in the mid and perhaps we are not doomed. =)

dannyboi-ffc

Good post and I can appreciate the intelligent analysis without agreeing with quite a bit of it, which I dont but thats just opinions I guess.

I think a back up reserve keeper is quite important, Kiraly isnt pushing Betti for the jersey and at times I think Betti looked a bit too comfortable as number one making silly mistakes. Yes he is our number one and deservedly so but if he is having a terrible run we need a reliable option and what if Betti gets injured? Kiraly for too long is like suicide for us. So Jorenen on loan and Kiraly out.

I actually think fullbacks are priority over cbs. If we lose out on husband and stafy (the latter who isnt good enough anyway) then we are left with Kavanagh who is nowhere near good enough to be a starter. I dont even think Kavanagh is good enough as a sub so due to his new contract I suppose I would loan him. Grimmer would be a decent backup but is that beneficial? I would rather him be loaned out too with a good rb coming in. Voser and Hoogland are hopefully out so I dont see how cbs is priority over fullbacks. We have Burn with hutch and bodurov as back up. If we can pick up Turner on the cheap I think its ok providing the midfield and full backs are sorted out. I know they arent the best 4 cbs out there but we have bigger concerns in my opinion.

Agree about someone to help protect the back 4 and bolster the midfield. We need a direct fast winger too to play on the right side. We need width!

Also disagree that strikers is low, hugo should go and dembele possibly a loan move. I wouldnt be satisfied with ross, smith woodrow and taggart. Other than ross I think that lacks any serious goal threat. I would say another goalscorer to play alongside ross with smith and woodrow as backup. Smith is a great option.

Also agree Kit should go but that seems unlikely now. Lets just hope we get it right this time.

Good post

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Deuce

Interesting thoughts from you lot.

Quote from: snarks on May 18, 2015, 08:09:47 AM
Disagree with the goalkeeping points. Kiraly is past his best. I would like to see a goalkeeper who you have no doubt could take over if Betts lost form or was injured. Kiraly does not give me that confidence.

I agree with you in principal - Kiraly is not up to standards for the number one spot.

However, signing a good goalkeeper when you already have yourself a #1 is not all that easy. Any goalkeeper worth his salt and who's able to perform in the Championship will want to play first team football. Just like any other player. Problem is though, and what separates goalkeepers from outfield players, is that the #1 spot is the goalkeepers to lose, not be gained by the backup which more easily is the case with outfield players (as they can be subbed, rotated more often and so on). Which means that as long as Bettinelli doesn't make several major misstakes - the backup wont be able to get into the team. And that is not a desirable position when trying to persuade a player.

And if we're going to sign a good Championship goalkeeper - we are going to have to pay him a wage that matches his ability of course. That would be money that could be put to better use as things stands now, even though Khan do have some cash, we're not Man City or Chelsea. We still need to prioritize.

A team usually just go with their #1 as long as something doesn't happen. And more often than not - it doesn't. Meaning that we could end up with a relatively large paycheck for a player who might just play a couple of matches. Or, he gets the #1 jersey and we waste a perfectly good,promising own product in Bettinelli as he wont settle for being a backup at this stage in his career.

And I also recognise that goalkeepers, just like outfield players, need that competion from a team mate, to feel a bit of pressure on the training ground and so on. I hope though that Joronen might become that rival soon enough. Or not. But I do feel we should give him that chance. Send him out on loan and if Bettinellis form goes in the toilet, then recall Joronen and let him have a go. if that fails - then we should consider signing a new goalkeeper. At worst, we've lost a couple of matches because of this. My point is that we have two promising goalkeepers (and a third in Rodak) and it'd be a shame, and a waste, for our great youth academy if we didn't give them a proper chance.

Deuce

I think a back up reserve keeper is quite important, Kiraly isn't pushing Betti for the jersey and at times I think Betti looked a bit too comfortable as number one making silly mistakes. Yes he is our number one and deservedly so but if he is having a terrible run we need a reliable option and what if Betti gets injured? Kiraly for too long is like suicide for us. So Jorenen on loan and Kiraly out.
Fair enough, I made my point in the post above. Completely agree regarding Kiraly but I believe it might be a matter of prioritizing rather than anything else. If Bettinelli plays all our games I'd rather have Kiraly on the bench than a new signing with what I suppose would be a higher wage than Kiraly. But again, it could be the other way around. You can never know and you cant cover every little possibility (i.e what if our new goalkeeper injures himself!)

I actually think fullbacks are priority over cbs. If we lose out on husband and stafy (the latter who isn't good enough anyway) then we are left with Kavanagh who is nowhere near good enough to be a starter. I dont even think Kavanagh is good enough as a sub so due to his new contract I suppose I would loan him. Grimmer would be a decent backup but is that beneficial? I would rather him be loaned out too with a good rb coming in. Voser and Hoogland are hopefully out so I dont see how cbs is priority over fullbacks. We have Burn with hutch and bodurov as back up. If we can pick up Turner on the cheap I think its ok providing the midfield and full backs are sorted out. I know they arent the best 4 cbs out there but we have bigger concerns in my opinion.
Good point, I might have been too kind on Kava and Grimmer but in general I feel that, besides a talented manager, a good healthy defence starts in the centre (just as when we signed Hangeland). But yeah, we really need a couple of more defenders but again: i dont know how much money Khan is going to spend this summer. If we can get a really good cb and two decent fullbacks I'd be thrilled.
We need width!
Depending on what formation we'll use though ;) But of course, I'd love myself a Demerai Gray
Also disagree that strikers is low, hugo should go and dembele possibly a loan move. I wouldnt be satisfied with ross, smith woodrow and taggart. Other than ross I think that lacks any serious goal threat. I would say another goalscorer to play alongside ross with smith and woodrow as backup. Smith is a great option.
Well, sure. But again, I dont think we'll have the money to sign a quality cb, quality dmc, two good fullbacks, an mc and a proven striker. But no one would be happier than me if we did.

Also agree Kit should go but that seems unlikely now. Lets just hope we get it right this time.
Absolutely.

dannyboi-ffc

Lol good effort you replied to every part of my post. If we dont have the money to spend then we are in big trouble anyway so before we even begin to speculate or agree/disagree, we need to know whats available and I'm a bit scared to find out the answer to that question. A bit like Oliver was when he asked for more.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

alfie

Speaking of Kiraly the other keepers and in fact outfield players as well love having him around, he lifts their spirits, maybe he should just be used in a coaching capacity only.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on May 18, 2015, 05:14:23 PM
Lol good effort you replied to every part of my post. If we dont have the money to spend then we are in big trouble anyway so before we even begin to speculate or agree/disagree, we need to know whats available and I'm a bit scared to find out the answer to that question. A bit like Oliver was when he asked for more.

I do not recall Oliver ever playing for Fulham FC.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

millsy

Maybe I'm missing something but I still don't think we've ever found ourself a playmaker to replace Danny. Moussa was fluid and dribbled men out of the game, so offered some midfield threat but surely we badly need someone who can "put his foot on the ball" and then has the ability to see and make a pass.

To me, ball retention in midfield has been woeful for 3 seasons now and I really believe that this is the root cause of the goal leakage. The stats for crosses into our box we're staggeringly bad a) because we give the ball up so easily and b) because our full-backs don't seem to have been instructed/coached to stay close enough to their man to hit him as the ball arrives, rather than allow him to control it, turn, look, cross etc.

I say put aside most of our budget, whatever that may be, for the best midfield general we can afford/attract. I believe we have the defenders and the frontmen to do the job, we just need someone to tie it all together and provide some leadership.

For the oldies amongst us, think Bobby Collins (Revie built Leeds around him) and followed by Johnny Giles, in the same ilk.  Clough did it with McGovern and Martin O'Neill. George Eastham, Paddy Crerand and of course, the maestro Mr.Haynes. were world beaters but you can achieve results with the less gifted types such as Butch Wilkins, Ray Houghton et Al

Failing that lets find another Steed i.e. All action and tieing things together in a different way but please let's go for someone to control the midfield. This is where games are won and lost in any division, in any league!

Asotosyios

I think 2 fullbacks and, at least, a winger should be our priority.

We need a RB and can have either Voser as back-up and Grimmer on loan or Grimmer as back-up if Voser is to be sold. Also, a new LB (perhaps Husband if Middlesbrough is willing to sell him) and Amorebieta/Kavanagh can be the back-ups.

On the left wing, I am happy to give a chance to Kacaniklic and Ryan Williams. I haven't given up on Kaca and think he can do a decent job if given some regular time. Ryan Williams was very good for Oxford in League 2 two years ago playing either as a left or right winger and I was expecting/hoping he would get a look this year; Magath used him twice in a central role and Kit never used him. We should aim for a pacey RW (Ryan Williams can also be the back-up) and also give some game time to George Williams and Roberts. Chris David could help too, if he stays (didn't he start on the right against Crystal Palace?).

I don't think Kiraly will stay, so we need another GK to challenge/backup Marcus. Alternatively, if we think Joronen is ready to be no2, we could get an older, experienced keeper similar to Kiraly or Richard Lee this year.

Even though our defence has been terrible, I don't think our CBs are as bad as they seem to be. If Amorebieta stays, he can backup the other three (personally, Bodurov should start with either Burn or Hutchinson next to him); if he goes, we could go for Turner or someone else.

I am not entirely convinced by our forwards, but it won't be the end of the world if we decided to stay put. We may start only one depending on our tactics and on a 4-4-2, McCormack and Smith could start with Woodrow and Taggart on the bench (Dembele could be available on loan).

In midfield, I wouldn't say no to Guthrie. LVC is the first name in the lineup and there are lots of options for the position next to him (or two, if we play 4-5-1). I think that Tunnicliffe can play the DMC role if he is solely focused on what he has to do; in times this season, he looked like he was trying to do too much or had been told he had to do too much. A trio of Tunnicliffe, Guthrie, LVC would work for me; Eisfeld and David can definitely help but they may not be here. Parker should play in fewer games this year, so that he can stay fresh.

St Eve

I think all of the analysis above are very good. My only point, which most will not agree with, is Parker does not cut it for me and needs to be replaced.

J.Perkins

Quote from: Asotosyios on May 26, 2015, 09:20:49 PM

We need a RB and can have either Voser as back-up and Grimmer on loan or Grimmer as back-up if Voser is to be sold. Also, a new LB (perhaps Husband if Middlesbrough is willing to sell him) and Amorebieta/Kavanagh can be the back-ups.

On the left wing, I am happy to give a chance to Kacaniklic and Ryan Williams. I haven't given up on Kaca and think he can do a decent job if given some regular time. Ryan Williams was very good for Oxford in League 2 two years ago playing either as a left or right winger and I was expecting/hoping he would get a look this year; Magath used him twice in a central role and Kit never used him. We should aim for a pacey RW (Ryan Williams can also be the back-up) and also give some game time to George Williams and Roberts. Chris David could help too, if he stays (didn't he start on the right against Crystal Palace?).

I don't think Kiraly will stay, so we need another GK to challenge/backup Marcus. Alternatively, if we think Joronen is ready to be no2, we could get an older, experienced keeper similar to Kiraly or Richard Lee this year.

Even though our defence has been terrible, I don't think our CBs are as bad as they seem to be. If Amorebieta stays, he can backup the other three (personally, Bodurov should start with either Burn or Hutchinson next to him); if he goes, we could go for Turner or someone else.

I am not entirely convinced by our forwards, but it won't be the end of the world if we decided to stay put. We may start only one depending on our tactics and on a 4-4-2, McCormack and Smith could start with Woodrow and Taggart on the bench (Dembele could be available on loan).

In midfield, I wouldn't say no to Guthrie. LVC is the first name in the lineup and there are lots of options for the position next to him (or two, if we play 4-5-1). I think that Tunnicliffe can play the DMC role if he is solely focused on what he has to do; in times this season, he looked like he was trying to do too much or had been told he had to do too much. A trio of Tunnicliffe, Guthrie, LVC would work for me; Eisfeld and David can definitely help but they may not be here. Parker should play in fewer games this year, so that he can stay fresh.

I think you in a bit of a dream world there. The extent of the work that needs to be done on the team is massive. Stekelenburg, Hoogland, Stafylidis, Amorebieta, Bodurov, Eisfeld, Voser, Chihi, David, R Williams, Ruiz and Rodallega will/most likely won't be around next season.

Asotosyios

Quote from: J.Perkins on May 27, 2015, 09:58:03 AM
Quote from: Asotosyios on May 26, 2015, 09:20:49 PM

I think you in a bit of a dream world there. The extent of the work that needs to be done on the team is massive. Stekelenburg, Hoogland, Stafylidis, Amorebieta, Bodurov, Eisfeld, Voser, Chihi, David, R Williams, Ruiz and Rodallega will/most likely won't be around next season.

I am sure there will be a lot more changes and some of the players I mentioned will not be here next year. I was not saying that this team would gain promotion either. Just a few thoughts on what our priorities would be if we were not to make a lot of changes on the squad.