Started by kdjr100, May 30, 2015, 10:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdjr100

"and there's a tidal wave on the Thames!"

WestCountryWhite

Well done Hyndman Hyndman. US struggling to beat Myanmar though...... :hook:

cmg

...liked the cheeky backheel, too.

Good run from deep for his goal, although a decent marking team might have picked him up sometime during the previous fortnight!

Chutney

If Hyndman can stay fit he'll have a big season, the lad is class!
C O Y W

Bill2

ToodlesMcToot

My happy takeaway from this game.....Fulham has someone who can take a free kick and who can get a corner past the first man.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

General

Quote from: WestCountryWhite on May 30, 2015, 11:34:38 AM

I'll bite easily... England didn't even qualify for this World Cup.

rubbernecca

fish on!  Didn't look like much of a struggle, just a messy goal at the start.

Looking forward to seeing Hyndman and LVC in midfield next season!

WestCountryWhite

Quote from: General on May 30, 2015, 01:38:12 PM

I'll bite easily... England didn't even qualify for this World Cup.

Haha I thought I'd atleast real in a few before someone thought to say that.

Fernhurst

Class player ..... We are lucky to have him..... at the moment!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Fulhamerica23

"Highlights" is such a strong word for the game. Not pretty football at all.

BearcatFFC

The highlights didn't show it, but he also had a free kick in the second half just out side the myanmar box. He struck it off the wall, then took it on the volley and struck it really well, but unfortunately right at the keeper. He was definitely the leader on the field for the US. Other than him and Rubin, I wasn't too impressed with anyone.

HatterDon

Quote from: BearcatFFC on June 01, 2015, 02:57:03 PM
The highlights didn't show it, but he also had a free kick in the second half just out side the myanmar box. He struck it off the wall, then took it on the volley and struck it really well, but unfortunately right at the keeper. He was definitely the leader on the field for the US. Other than him and Rubin, I wasn't too impressed with anyone.

This exactly. The takeaway for me from this match is that after the Dempsey-Bradley-Howard retirements, we're in for a long period of mediocrity in US Football.

Our next match is Tuesday morning at 0200 here; that would be 0800 at your place. Hey, when is England's match in this tourney?  :hook:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

snarks

Didn't England decide not to play in the qualifying tournament as a protest against Sepp Blatter standing for president of Fifa or something? Or was it the award of the full world cup to Qatar? Either way it was some sort of prescient thing in a futile protest way.

mccscratch

The same Myanmar team that qualified for this tournament over the likes of AFC powers Japan, South Korea, Australia and Iran...

So they must not be too bad...

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

mccscratch

Quote from: snarks on June 01, 2015, 03:52:51 PM
Didn't England decide not to play in the qualifying tournament as a protest against Sepp Blatter standing for president of Fifa or something? Or was it the award of the full world cup to Qatar? Either way it was some sort of prescient thing in a futile protest way.

OR........... they lost to Ukraine inthe qualifying round....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship_elite_round
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: HatterDon on June 01, 2015, 03:43:50 PM

This exactly. The takeaway for me from this match is that after the Dempsey-Bradley-Howard retirements, we're in for a long period of mediocrity in US Football.

Our next match is Tuesday morning at 0200 here; that would be 0800 at your place. Hey, when is England's match in this tourney?  :hook:

This is ridiculous. Look back at the U20 squad in 2007 that made the quarters. We had two players from that team make the 2014 World Cup squad (Bradley and Altidore). That's seven years removed. When these U20s should be in their prime. Didn't even qualify in 2011 and we plucked Yedlin from the 2013 roster. No one from 2005 roster. Dempsey from 2003. Beasley and Brad Davis from 2001 and then from 1999, Howard and Rimondo.

Rimondo was third choice. Davis barely got a touch and really shouldn't have been there (but for arguments sake, had Landon been here the U20 thing would have been true as well), Altidore got hurt, which you can't really count towards this argument.

So out of Howard, Beasley, Bradley and Yedlin, you had four major contributors that played on one of the U20 teams spanning 15 years.

A lot of these guys are MLS lifers, and maybe even fringe players at that. Sure, they'll get some senior caps in those January camps, but looking at future World Cup caps? I think maybe 2 are shoe-ins, Hyndman and Zelalem. Gotta think Steffen has the quality to be like Rimondo, on a squad but with Hamid ahead of him, not sure he'll be first choice.

So take the U20 tournament for what it is, a youth tournament. Yes it's a breeding ground for future Senior players, but let's just be aware that probably half won't even sniff a senior team call up and even then, it could just be a non-FIFA calendar friendly.

HatterDon

Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 01, 2015, 05:18:25 PM

This is ridiculous. Look back at the U20 squad in 2007 that made the quarters. We had two players from that team make the 2014 World Cup squad (Bradley and Altidore). That's seven years removed. When these U20s should be in their prime. Didn't even qualify in 2011 and we plucked Yedlin from the 2013 roster. No one from 2005 roster. Dempsey from 2003. Beasley and Brad Davis from 2001 and then from 1999, Howard and Rimondo.

Rimondo was third choice. Davis barely got a touch and really shouldn't have been there (but for arguments sake, had Landon been here the U20 thing would have been true as well), Altidore got hurt, which you can't really count towards this argument.

So out of Howard, Beasley, Bradley and Yedlin, you had four major contributors that played on one of the U20 teams spanning 15 years.

A lot of these guys are MLS lifers, and maybe even fringe players at that. Sure, they'll get some senior caps in those January camps, but looking at future World Cup caps? I think maybe 2 are shoe-ins, Hyndman and Zelalem. Gotta think Steffen has the quality to be like Rimondo, on a squad but with Hamid ahead of him, not sure he'll be first choice.

So take the U20 tournament for what it is, a youth tournament. Yes it's a breeding ground for future Senior players, but let's just be aware that probably half won't even sniff a senior team call up and even then, it could just be a non-FIFA calendar friendly.

So, I agreed with you. Then you said "this is ridiculous" and proceeded to agree with me? 

:023:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

horse1031

i have been waiting for a saviour of American soccer for years and no one seems to be coming along.  i want to see us competing for a world cup!

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: HatterDon on June 01, 2015, 05:23:57 PM
Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 01, 2015, 05:18:25 PM

So, I agreed with you. Then you said "this is ridiculous" and proceeded to agree with me? 

:023:

No, I don't agree. Our national team is gonna be made of, primarily, of players not on this roster. So judging our future based on this roster, isn't really a good idea. We've turned out plenty fine without major U20 presence. I think it's ridiculous that you think we're in a "long period of mediocrity" basing it on a U20 world cup game.