more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The English Cup Final

Started by Fernhurst, May 30, 2015, 06:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Danny Murphy playing a blinder..... He is so knowledgable
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Lighthouse

Sometimes the commentators are so interested in their own voices they forget to watch the game. Both missed Dandy Delphs booking.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WestCountryWhite

There is something warm and comforting in hearing Captain Murphs voice

Twig

Watching Richardson, I am also reminded of how much better was the quality of our squad back then

Holders

I've never heard it called that - the FA cup final or THE cup final but never English!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Fernhurst

As opposed to The Scottish Cup Final which was also played today Holders.

Arsenal cruising this one 3-0 whereas Falkirk lost 2-1 to Inverness Caledonian Thistle (the longest name in British football)

WestCountryWhite

To be honest I'd forgotten they still played domestic football in Scotland

Fernhurst

We witnessed plenty of Championship football this year,well if you can imagine half the skill and pace you are somewhere near it!

Holders

Quote from: Fernhurst on May 30, 2015, 07:05:11 PM

Arsenal cruising this one 3-0 whereas Falkirk lost 2-1 to Inverness Caledonian Thistle (the longest name in British football)

OK, thanks. I wasn't getting at you, just never heard it called that. I have to admit the Scottish one went completely under my radar so didn't appreciate the need to distinguish.

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 30, 2015, 08:01:24 PM

Yes your right Fernhurst, it is the English Cup Final, and always will be.
ive never heard the fa cup final being called that.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bog

Danny should never have been allowed to leave the club. I had the honour to speak to him on a wireless 5 phone. Could have been our boss by now. 

092.gif

Fernhurst

Must admit Captain, when he speaks I listen, his mature outlook and reading of the game appears to be in direct contrast to someone like Sherwood.

Do we know if he is doing his badges?

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: fulhamben on May 30, 2015, 08:05:47 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 30, 2015, 08:01:24 PM

Yes your right Fernhurst, it is the English Cup Final, and always will be.
ive never heard the fa cup final being called that.

Its The FA Cup Final...Football Association Cup, as teams from Wales take
part in it as well...Ben is right its never been called  English Cup Final, not since
Ive watched football anyway..
I believe Cardiff City have won  it as well...
But whats in a name as they say..

Holders

So, when the finals were being played in Cardiff....?

It's the FA cup final - that's a unique name without needing to qualify it.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Holders on May 31, 2015, 07:55:17 AM

Precisely....Its never been called the English Cup.
I think not certain clubs from N Ireland can enter, not certain on that tho.
Welsh can..

Just checked Irish cant enter but Welsh can..

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Holders on May 31, 2015, 07:55:17 AM

I am qualifying it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

It is not and never was the English cup final.  It is the FA Cup.  It is contested by teams from England and Wales.  The final has been played in England and Wales, the semi finals have been played in England and Wales and it has been won by English and Welsh clubs. 

The FA Cup needs no qualification in exactly the same way that The Open needs no qualification.  End of.

bog

Fernhurst, I hope he is. I would have him back today.

092.gif

nose

i am sorry that such a mature aged man as me is entering the debate
BUT
I never ever heard anybody call this competition the English Cup Final... I have no problem with the OP or its headline  because a rose by any other name and all that, but nonetheless i never heard anyone say english cup final.
it's always the FA cup final or more usually the cup final.

this reminds me of the americans using the term EPL when the in england we say the prem or the premiership... nobody ever says EPL and nobody says english cup final.... but i am suprised we have such a long thread on the subject...

i am perfectly happy for fenhurst to have used the term and if he wants to continue using the term, i can see no reason why it should attract any further comment.
if fulham made the final you can call it what you like, getting to wembly is what counts.

whilst we are on the subject i hate the term the FIFA world Cup, when i was a boy it was called the world cup and we all knew what it meant, when did it have to have the needless qualification?

Holders

Quote from: nose on May 31, 2015, 09:45:24 AM
i am sorry that such a mature aged man as me is entering the debate
BUT
I never ever heard anybody call this competition the English Cup Final... I have no problem with the OP or its headline  because a rose by any other name and all that, but nonetheless i never heard anyone say english cup final.
it's always the FA cup final or more usually the cup final.

this reminds me of the americans using the term EPL when the in england we say the prem or the premiership... nobody ever says EPL and nobody says english cup final.... but i am suprised we have such a long thread on the subject...

i am perfectly happy for fenhurst to have used the term and if he wants to continue using the term, i can see no reason why it should attract any further comment.
if fulham made the final you can call it what you like, getting to wembly is what counts.

whilst we are on the subject i hate the term the FIFA world Cup, when i was a boy it was called the world cup and we all knew what it meant, when did it have to have the needless qualification?

Quite right, although I understand Fernhurst wishing, on this occasion, to distinguish from the Scottish cup final played on the same day. I also agree about the World Cup - although perhaps that's to distinguish from the more recent Cricket and Rugby World Cups. Quite why anyone would want to associate anything with FIFA at the moment is beyond me. Blatter must be teflon-coated.