watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Help to settle an arguement

Started by Peabody, May 31, 2015, 10:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Way back, there were lots of examples of England Cricketers also being Professional Footballers. Denis and Les Compton spring to mind, both played for Arsenal. Willie Watson was another, he played for Sunderland I think. Anyway, I was having a discussion with a mate and he said that a Fulham player was also an England Test player but he couldn't remember his name. Anyone know the answer to this?

Rhys Lightning 63

@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Holders

Also, Botham played for Scunthorpe (I believe it was) and Lineker could have played either Football or Cricket.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

f321ffc

I was told at the time he was playing for us that Roger Cross was a good enough cricketer to have made it his living, but he chose football.  049:gif
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Holders

Quote from: f321ffc on May 31, 2015, 10:19:55 AM
I was told at the time he was playing for us that Roger Cross was a good enough cricketer to have made it his living, but he chose football.  049:gif

That rings a bell, he of the long throw-in.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

Phil Neville could have played either but chose football, never mind Phil. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Peabody

Of course it was Johnny Arnold and now I have a sneaking feeling that Mike Keeping also played cricket for England. Johnny Haynes was also a promising cricketer and was offered a chance to play for Middlesex.

Jonaldiniho 88

Quote from: Peabody on May 31, 2015, 10:56:31 AM
Of course it was Johnny Arnold and now I have a sneaking feeling that Mike Keeping also played cricket for England. Johnny Haynes was also a promising cricketer and was offered a chance to play for Middlesex.

What a great name for a cricketer mike keeping.

gang

I think Johnny Haynes was a good wicket-keeper.
Every summer Fulham played a charity match against Putney CC at Putney Common.

snarks

Of recent times I believe Andy Gorham kept wicket for Scotland whilst  still playing football

cmg

Frank Large may well have been the player whose transfer made Steve Marlet's look like a bargain, but he did play cricket for Co. Mayo in Ireland which forgives him a lot (not everything!) in my book.

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

res

Quote from: Peabody on May 31, 2015, 10:13:09 AM
Way back, there were lots of examples of England Cricketers also being Professional Footballers. Denis and Les Compton spring to mind, both played for Arsenal. Willie Watson was another, he played for Sunderland I think. Anyway, I was having a discussion with a mate and he said that a Fulham player was also an England Test player but he couldn't remember his name. Anyone know the answer to this?

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on May 31, 2015, 10:15:02 AM
Apparently, we have TWO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Ducat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Arnold#Football_career

And we have another who played international football and international cricket for Bermuda...Kyle Lightbourne

Fulham Tup North

OK then, here's one.  Not a Fulham connection unfortunately.
Q) Who has played Football for Man Utd & Cricket for India?
a)?
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

HillingdonFFC

Percy Fender played for Fulham and Jim Hammond played for many years at Hampshire.
Barry Lloyd was a useful club cricketer for one of my local clubs, Hayes C.C, as was Mark Walton who opened the bowling for Fakenham. Been told Dave Beasant was a very decent cricketer too.
I've played against Andy Sinton, Guy Butters and Terry Evans, Butters hit me for three sixes in a row in a colts game.
In the 80s up until the early 90s Fulham used to play an annual game at Royal Ascot C.C, think there were some Fulham fans there?.Dean Coney was supposed to be half decent as were a few of the others

bog

Chris Balderstone played for Carlisle and also county cricket as did Arnold Sidebottom for United and Lancashire I think....

092.gif 

Jamie88

I think the very first player would have been Leonard Moon, who played for us from 1896-1898 and played in test matches for England during the early 1900's

res

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on June 01, 2015, 01:34:46 AM
Percy Fender played for Fulham and Jim Hammond played for many years at Hampshire.
Barry Lloyd was a useful club cricketer for one of my local clubs, Hayes C.C, as was Mark Walton who opened the bowling for Fakenham. Been told Dave Beasant was a very decent cricketer too.
I've played against Andy Sinton, Guy Butters and Terry Evans, Butters hit me for three sixes in a row in a colts game.
In the 80s up until the early 90s Fulham used to play an annual game at Royal Ascot C.C, think there were some Fulham fans there?.Dean Coney was supposed to be half decent as were a few of the others

Barry Lloyd, playing for Hayes, bowled his leg breaks to me in a 20 over Cup game. We were well beaten by them...Hayes had amassed 140 plus and we were struggling at not very many for most of our wickets..so I took the opportunity of playing out Barry's over rather than heaving some irrelevant runs. He struck me as a modest person, not flashy and down to earth.

leonffc

Quote from: snarks on May 31, 2015, 02:30:26 PM
Of recent times I believe Andy Gorham kept wicket for Scotland whilst  still playing football

Are you sure? Don't forget there were 'two Andy Gorams'  :005: :005:
*Reference to the terrace song about his mild schizophrenia

Irritating radio presenter claims to have chose Cricket over football (Barnsley?) but with his limited knowledge / the amount of rubbish he chats I doubt it

West Ewells all White

Chris Balderstone, played in the Carlisle team that briefly topped the Old First Division, and played 2 Tests for England in 1976 as a 35 year old, against a West Indies team containing Andy Roberts and Michael Holding! To add to this he went on to Umpire at the top level, standing in 2 ODI`s, a true legend and a gentleman.