watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

FIFA Criminal Investigation Gets Closer to Blatter

Started by Forever Fulham, June 02, 2015, 01:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Soccer Corruption Probe Aims Higher; FIFA Number Two Reportedly Approved $10 Million Bribe

By Elliot Hannon
Par7985976
The FIFA corruption investigation inches closer to Sepp Blatter.

Photo by SEBASTIEN BOZON/AFP/Getty Images

FIFA President Sepp Blatter has been able to personally steer clear of the allegations being lobbed at soccer's governing body—so far. On Monday, however, the New York Times reports the DOJ's investigation has inched its way up the ladder towards Blatter. According to the Times, U.S. investigators believe Blatter's number two, FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke, made a suspicious $10 million bank transfer in 2008 that is central to the corruption case where soccer officials stand accused of accepting more than $150 million in bribes. The money was transferred to accounts controlled by another FIFA official, Jack Warner.

The logic of FIFA making a $10 million payment as part of a scheme to bribe FIFA itself during the 2010 World Cup host selection process is, at first glace, counter-intuitive. Here's more from the Times on how prosecutors think the scheme played out:

In 2004, as FIFA's executive committee considered where to host the 2010 World Cup, South Africa's government agreed to pay Mr. Warner and others $10 million in exchange for their votes, according to the indictment. Mr. Warner voted for South Africa, but in the months and years after the vote, South Africa was unable to pay. So rather than take a payment directly from South Africa, the indictment says, FIFA itself paid Mr. Warner in 2008, using money that would otherwise have gone to South Africa to support the World Cup. In effect, the indictment says the bribe was paid on the back end of the deal, so South Africa received $10 million less from FIFA than it otherwise would have.

The head of the South African World Cup bid said the money was not a bribe, but a contribution to a Caribbean soccer development fund. Warner is from Trinidad, was head of the North and Central American regional soccer organization at the time, and, prosecutors say, spent most of the cash on himself. Warner was arrested and indicted last week. Valcke has not been charged or named in the indictment, and maintains he did not authorize the $10 million payment. Another round of indictments is expected.

Greek

Amazingly slippery character. Real survivor and alpha male. The fact that he is still around is incredible. I am amazed he has survived this.

BedsFFC

H4usuallysitting

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

What's so stupid is how greedy they were.
If they had kept the bungs to 'acceptable' levels they probably wouldn't have been caught.
It seems like lots of this type of scam becomes public knowledge because of the amounts.
eg: If Jack Warner and the others had settled for $1M, enough to buy a nice g=big house etc  etc  maybe it wouldn't have raised a huge red flag.

I am not of course condoning this although I did once steal a chocolate bar from a sweet shop
(when I was 9/10) I blamed it on peer pressure as my dad larruped me with his belt (not really)
I never got caught until about the 10th time
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 02, 2015, 04:41:55 PM
If you did not get caught until the tenth time, that signifies that Ten Bars of chocolate went missing, I reckon you are relieved to have confessed, it's clearly a weight off your mind.
Obviously there will be an investigation as the file appears to be still open on this case. Which could result in dire consequences. Where exactly did the offences  you confessing to take place
I suggest you don't make any immediate plans for the future, as a dim view is taken if this sort if behaviour.
Is there any other crimes you wish to confess to while it's fresh in your mind. 

Yes
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

alfie

If you did not get caught until the tenth time, that signifies that Ten Bars of chocolate went missing, I reckon you are relieved to have confessed, it's clearly a weight off your mind.
Obviously there will be an investigation as the file appears to be still open on this case. Which could result in dire consequences. Where exactly did the offences  you confessing to take place
I suggest you don't make any immediate plans for the future, as a dim view is taken if this sort if behaviour.

He has a lovely ivory tusk hanging on his wall (not really)
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Burt

Regardless of whether you like him (unlikely) or not (probably), he is a smart guy and avoids emails and texts.

"No trail, no jail".

leonffc

Quote from: Burt on June 02, 2015, 04:55:27 PM
Regardless of whether you like him (unlikely) or not (probably), he is a smart guy and avoids emails and texts.

"No trail, no jail".

This isn't another Arry Redknapp thread Burt. It's about Blatter!!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on June 02, 2015, 04:50:23 PM

Yes

I see, well we may have to abandon this investigation, due to sudden unforeseen circumstances beyond our control has arisen, as somebody with the surname
Blatter is ahead of you in the queue, and his issue may take a lot longer.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.