Main Menu

America come of age

Started by Nick Bateman, June 05, 2015, 09:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: Denver Fulham on June 07, 2015, 01:01:42 AM
Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 06, 2015, 04:58:15 PM
Quote from: The Rock on June 06, 2015, 01:34:03 PM
I did watch this at work (in NYC) and both teams had dodgy defending, but the US midfield and new strikers are excellent. I didn't recognise any of them except Brek Shea who is/was with Stoke? And Bradley who looked really composed, though had a few questionable touches. I think any are good enough for the Championship and would be wonderful to have at Fulham.

But it's clear we need defenders, so, carry on...

Honestly, wouldn't want any of the American side at Fulham, aside from maybe Guzan to push Betts.

Hahahahahahahahaha. (Catches breath.) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, a young kid with a year of dodgy experience in the Championship would keep out a long-time Premier League keeper who's currently his nation's No. 1. Okayyyyyyyy.

Let's be fair, Guzan is a #2. Wouldn't have sniffed a competitive game if Howard didn't take a sabbatical. He had a less than stellar year at Villa. Guzan wouldn't just walk right into the job. Betts has the #1 shirt until someone else on the training ground proves otherwise. That's called "pushing" Betts.

Forever Fulham

Well, there are many who think Guzan is actually a better keeper than Howard is, overall.  I've read studies, which are findable, about this.  I can't make my mind up on that one.  But one thing I AM sure about is that I don't want Brek Knucklehead Shea in the squad. 

Denver Fulham

Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 07, 2015, 04:39:58 AM
I did watch this at work (in NYC) and both teams had dodgy defending, but the US midfield and new strikers are excellent. I didn't recognise any of them except Brek Shea who is/was with Stoke? And Bradley who looked really composed, though had a few questionable touches. I think any are good enough for the Championship and would be wonderful to have at Fulham.

Honestly, wouldn't want any of the American side at Fulham, aside from maybe Guzan to push Betts.

Yeah, a young kid with a year of dodgy experience in the Championship would keep out a long-time Premier League keeper who's currently his nation's No. 1. Okayyyyyyyy.

Let's be fair, Guzan is a #2. Wouldn't have sniffed a competitive game if Howard didn't take a sabbatical. He had a less than stellar year at Villa. Guzan wouldn't just walk right into the job. Betts has the #1 shirt until someone else on the training ground proves otherwise. That's called "pushing" Betts.

This has to be a windup. Guzan wouldn't walk right into the job at a Championship team with a young keeper who can't come off his line, organize a defense or distribute the ball? Yeah, OK.

In related discussion, what about a loan for Arsenal's Gedion Zelalem?

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: Denver Fulham on June 07, 2015, 06:28:08 AM
Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 07, 2015, 04:39:58 AM

This has to be a windup. Guzan wouldn't walk right into the job at a Championship team with a young keeper who can't come off his line, organize a defense or distribute the ball? Yeah, OK.

In related discussion, what about a loan for Arsenal's Gedion Zelalem?

I just think you're really undervaluing Betts and giving Guzan a bit too much credit. I like both, and to each our own.

Zelalem is wonderful on the ball; however, him and Hyndman went AWOL in that Ukraine game. Wasn't promising; however, my worry with Zelalem right now is that he is a little small? Not sure how'd he deal with the physicality of the Championship. Obviously, if a talent like is available, you take him, but I think he'd struggle early on.

SmithyFFC

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 06, 2015, 10:06:16 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on June 06, 2015, 05:23:09 PM
Quote from: FulhamFan2 on June 06, 2015, 03:25:09 PM
Sorry, but scraping a late win against an old, out of form Dutch side really doesn't qualify as 'coming of age.'

Always has to be one.

One that obviously didn't watch the game.

Actually watched the whole 90, but don't let that cloud your judgement, mate. Apologises but one friendly win doesn't really mean anything, this isn't baseball or American Football.
FTID

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on June 08, 2015, 10:46:22 AM
Sorry, but scraping a late win against an old, out of form Dutch side really doesn't qualify as 'coming of age.'

Always has to be one.

Actually watched the whole 90, but don't let that cloud your judgement, mate. Apologises but one friendly win doesn't really mean anything, this isn't baseball or American Football.

You watched the whole 90 and still had the impression that that was an "old" Dutch side?????

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

HatterDon

Always has to be one.

Nor is that anywhere close to a logical statement.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Nick Bateman

Quote from: HatterDon on June 08, 2015, 03:19:43 PM

Always has to be one.

Nor is that anywhere close to a logical statement.

That was almost a 'wind-up' worthy of moi, but frankly, Klinsmann has worked wonders with the Americans and Fulham have had a great recent tradition signing U.S. nationals.

They would certainly walk into our pretty useless championship side, and will raise our profile as Mohamed Al Fayed was very aware of.  And our owner happens to be a Yank so he should go for the idea.

Yeldin would be a fantastic loan opportunity, Chandler made errors but looked more accomplished than any of Fulham's central defenders and one can only dream of bringing Bradley to this lower league.  But we have the finances if the un-Fair-Play regulators allow us to use our 'muscle'.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

NJFulham

klinsmann, results wise, has done no better than his predecessor.

McBride78

Klinsmann, style wise, has done far better.  At least the US team is attacking now rather than playing for a draw.  They lack the players to excel results wise.  That said, he is doing great things with youth recruitment into the squad and understanding the impact that the youth and foreign born players can have on the team is the key to becoming more competitive.   

Fulhamerica23

I'd say results wise it's better too. Obviously, if you compare World Cup, there is no question. 2014 was miles ahead of 2010. Getting out of the group of death in 2014 was no easy feat. 2010 was a breeze compared to this past group. The round of 16 game were miles different as well. Ghana vs Belgium, no question which had more class. Really unlucky to win both. Bob had the tactics all wrong from the start of the Ghana game and Wondo couldn't tap in a sitter that he converts every week in MLS.

America is close. Klinsman has advanced this team miles ahead of where Bradley left off...and credit to Bradley for picking up the pieces after 2006. Each deserving of credit.

ToodlesMcToot

Comparing Bob and JK just shouldn't really be done. Very different circumstances for both.

I've enjoyed them both as U.S. managers. They both, along with their players, have made me very proud as a U.S. Soccer supporter. They both, along with their players, have made me pull my hair out with frustration and anger with their decisions at times as well.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude