watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

America come of age

Started by Nick Bateman, June 05, 2015, 09:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Bateman

I have just witnessed a terrific match between Holland V USA, and Jurgen Klinsman's American side impressed me.

Klass Von Huntelaar, Wesley Sneider, Robin Van Persie, Memphis Depay were among the names USA faced today in Amsterdam, Gus Hiddinck treating this friendly with serious intent.  I felt Klinsmann didn't play his first team choices until the end, bringing on the fast-paced full back Yeldin late on and taking off a few 'lightweights'.

Perhaps the Dutch open style and even arrogance led to them losing a 3-1 cushion, with Hiddinck subbing both Van Persie & David Bowie-lookalike Huntelaar, and when Memphis Depay scored the third one wondered if it was poetic justice against the Yanks.

Buit one thing the USA has always had is a gutsy approach to most sports and they recovered and paid back the Netherlands in spades on their own doorstep.

One cannot question the merit of the level of American football after such a fantastic result winning 4-3 with two goals in the last few minutes after Holland hit the woodwork for the upteempth time!!

Klinsmannn is by FAR the best US manager/coach, and USA is now, a force in world football.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Forever Fulham

Damn!  I turned off the XM Radio when I stopped for gas on the way home and it was 1-3.  Disillusioned, and forgetful, I didn't turn it back on to catch the reversal of fortune.

Nick Bateman

It was a very open game, both sides determined to play the same style of attacking football and a great display to watch.  Hiddinck perhaps took his foot off the pedal and substituting Huntelaar was premature before the victory was secured.

USA brought on stronger players and the game turned on it's head.  Brilliant match!

A footnote, well refereed by a young-looking official who looked more prepubescent than Michael Oliver.  He ignored a few cynical 'dives' including one from Huntelaar which led to a USA goal!  Made for the spectacle!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

The Rock

I did watch this at work (in NYC) and both teams had dodgy defending, but the US midfield and new strikers are excellent. I didn't recognise any of them except Brek Shea who is/was with Stoke? And Bradley who looked really composed, though had a few questionable touches. I think any are good enough for the Championship and would be wonderful to have at Fulham.

But it's clear we need defenders, so, carry on...

TWFL

Let's not get carried away. The dutch are currently having a nightmare with their defence. No good defensive performance since Hiddink returned to 4 at the back.

Having said that, the US still managed to take advantage of it and put in a good performance too so credit where credit's due.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: The Rock on June 06, 2015, 01:34:03 PM
I did watch this at work (in NYC) and both teams had dodgy defending, but the US midfield and new strikers are excellent. I didn't recognise any of them except Brek Shea who is/was with Stoke? And Bradley who looked really composed, though had a few questionable touches. I think any are good enough for the Championship and would be wonderful to have at Fulham.

Shea and Stoke came to an agreement to allow Shea to leave and play for Orlando in MLS w/ Kaka.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

SmithyFFC

Sorry, but scraping a late win against an old, out of form Dutch side really doesn't qualify as 'coming of age.'
FTID

LordNelson

Very entertaining match. Germany vs. USA should be interesting to watch as well.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Fulhamerica23

Highly doubt any would come to the Championship. Danny Williams is already at Reading however. Maybe a Yedlin loan. Honestly, wouldn't want any of the American side at Fulham, aside from maybe Guzan to push Betts.

For what it's worth, I really don't rate half of this US side at all (mostly second choicers however). Think that's more an indictment on the state of affairs in Amsterdam than it is in Washington.

YankeeJim

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on June 06, 2015, 03:25:09 PM
Sorry, but scraping a late win against an old, out of form Dutch side really doesn't qualify as 'coming of age.'

Always has to be one.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 06, 2015, 04:58:15 PM

Highly doubt any would come to the Championship. Danny Williams is already at Reading however. Maybe a Yedlin loan. Honestly, wouldn't want any of the American side at Fulham, aside from maybe Guzan to push Betts.

For what it's worth, I really don't rate half of this US side at all (mostly second choicers however). Think that's more an indictment on the state of affairs in Amsterdam than it is in Washington.

The Netherlands defense was slow and easily spread, and the late subs were all pacey. The Dutch were easily turned. As for the players, with the exception of Bradley and Guzan, these were mostly NOT first choice players. JK is trying to find his #17-23 on the Copa America squad. Most of the first choice 11-15 weren't on the trip. Making any kind of judgment about the overall quality of international football over here on the basis of a watered down squad is ill-advised. JK brought them over -- and really since the end of the World Cup has routinely fielded sub-standard sides -- in order to see how they do against top level sides who are themselves in or about to be in major competitions. He picked Holland and Germany because the squads they picked will be those who will be competing for Euro2016.

By the way, the US has beaten top rated sides before, and in major competitions. This is nothing new. We've also looked terrible against mediocre sides. This is nothing new. I'd say we're about at England's level now -- certain to get through the group stages, and usually with a chance to get through the first knockout match, but with no real chances of a semifinal at the World Cup. Also, like England, we're losing or have just lost solid veterans who have held the team together for the better part of a decade, but won't be onstage in 2018. How we'll do there depends on what sort of talent we'll be able provide over a 23-man squad in three years time. Like England, we can probably name 10 very good players right now. Like England, we don't know how many of our promising youngsters -- those who played against the Netherlands and those competing in the U20 WC -- will improve or weaken the squad in three years.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: HatterDon on June 06, 2015, 05:30:45 PM

The Netherlands defense was slow and easily spread, and the late subs were all pacey. The Dutch were easily turned. As for the players, with the exception of Bradley and Guzan, these were mostly NOT first choice players. JK is trying to find his #17-23 on the Copa America squad. Most of the first choice 11-15 weren't on the trip. Making any kind of judgment about the overall quality of international football over here on the basis of a watered down squad is ill-advised. JK brought them over -- and really since the end of the World Cup has routinely fielded sub-standard sides -- in order to see how they do against top level sides who are themselves in or about to be in major competitions. He picked Holland and Germany because the squads they picked will be those who will be competing for Euro2016.

By the way, the US has beaten top rated sides before, and in major competitions. This is nothing new. We've also looked terrible against mediocre sides. This is nothing new. I'd say we're about at England's level now -- certain to get through the group stages, and usually with a chance to get through the first knockout match, but with no real chances of a semifinal at the World Cup. Also, like England, we're losing or have just lost solid veterans who have held the team together for the better part of a decade, but won't be onstage in 2018. How we'll do there depends on what sort of talent we'll be able provide over a 23-man squad in three years time. Like England, we can probably name 10 very good players right now. Like England, we don't know how many of our promising youngsters -- those who played against the Netherlands and those competing in the U20 WC -- will improve or weaken the squad in three years.

Agreed as far as the first team goes. Our 11 to 15 are very solid, would be comfortable with that squad if it were a World Cup year to get through whatever group was presented. Think there is a huge drop of for US after that 15th player though. Defensively, we're in shambles. Can't keep a zero and I'd rather not get in a shootout with Mexico or Costa Rica for that matter this summer.

ToodlesMcToot

So you didn't watch the game, eh??

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 06, 2015, 05:23:09 PM

Always has to be one.

One that obviously didn't watch the game.

ToodlesMcToot

Why exactly?

I won't advocate for Americans specifically for Fulham, although I have enjoyed every U.S. player who has ever pulled on a Fulham shirt.....well EJ as the exception. Having said that, there are plenty of players on that team that would have helped us this season and who could going forward.

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 06, 2015, 10:10:33 PM

Why exactly?

I won't advocate for Americans specifically for Fulham, although I have enjoyed every U.S. player who has ever pulled on a Fulham shirt.....well EJ as the exception. Having said that, there are plenty of players on that team that would have helped us this season and who could going forward.

I mean, being realistic in the players we could pluck off it, especially the side that played. We're not getting Bradley or Johnson. I don't really rate Chandler. The defense is a mess and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Yedlin, we could see a loan and I'd welcome him. Some other lower division German players and MLS lifers.

I'll pass.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 06, 2015, 10:26:14 PM

Why exactly?

I mean, being realistic in the players we could pluck off it, especially the side that played. We're not getting Bradley or Johnson. I don't really rate Chandler. The defense is a mess and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Yedlin, we could see a loan and I'd welcome him. Some other lower division German players and MLS lifers.

I'll pass.

You do know that aside from a brief spell at Preston, McBride was a MLS, lifer as was Dempsey.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

The Rock

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on June 06, 2015, 03:16:18 PM

Shea and Stoke came to an agreement to allow Shea to leave and play for Orlando in MLS w/ Kaka.

Case and point the USMT is full of unknowns. And some with potential.

Denver Fulham

Honestly, wouldn't want any of the American side at Fulham, aside from maybe Guzan to push Betts.

Hahahahahahahahaha. (Catches breath.) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, a young kid with a year of dodgy experience in the Championship would keep out a long-time Premier League keeper who's currently his nation's No. 1. Okayyyyyyyy.

Fulhamerica23

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 06, 2015, 11:13:46 PM
Quote from: Fulhamerica23 on June 06, 2015, 10:26:14 PM

Why exactly?

I'll pass.

You do know that aside from a brief spell at Preston, McBride was a MLS, lifer as was Dempsey.

MLS lifer meaning that their peak will be in MLS. Both McBride and Dempsey excelled in Europe.