News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nfr poll- who is more of a legend, xavi or pirlo?

Started by dannyboi-ffc, June 06, 2015, 11:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is more of a legend to football and their nations?

Pirlo
16 (42.1%)
Xavi
22 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

dannyboi-ffc

With both waving goodbye to European football and lets be honest stepping one foot into the retirement home who is more of a legend?

Xavi for me is very under rated and unfairly lives in the shadows of others at Barca. Without him I dont think they would tick. Whereas Pirlo is always the main man, stealing the show with his composure and class. Both do similar roles but one seems a lot more rewarded through the media than the other from what I read and hear. For the record I think Pirlo is a better player but I have Italian in my family so I am probably biased. Its very hard to separate them.

Both have won champs leagues, league titles, domestic cups and world cups. Xavi has the two euros for Spain to add to his collection. How do you pick? I think its very hard but I will go with Xavi. What he has won is ridiculous, he must have more medals than Ryan Giggs by now. But like I said how can you pick?
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

FPT

It is a great question.

After much debate with myself, I've gone for Xavi. I love watching Andrea Pirlo play, the grace and class he possesses is insane, but the question being who is more of a legend to the game and their country, I think Xavi edges it.

A wonderful 'quarterback' is Xavi, but its his contribution to Barcelona and the La Masia legacy which edges it. Xavi will always be the cornerstone of a group of players that perfected the clubs' philosophy which changed the perspective of modern day football. Of course, Xavi has benefitted from playing with better players but his honours record is insane.

They both probably appear in each countries Greatest XI, but I'm not sure they'd both be in my overall.

I'm sure this'll be narrow, but what is for sure is they have both been wonderful players to watch for the last 20 years.

God The Mechanic

Xavi defined the style of play of the two most dominant teams (international and club) for just under a decade.  As good as Pirlo is/was, he never did that.

Pirlo is one of the best (at what he did) of his generation.  Xavi is THE best, ever.

That being said, Iniesta is better than both :p

SmithyFFC

Pirlo for me, as he never got to play in a team/s anywhere near the level Xavi has his entire career. That being said, both are absolutely fantastic players, and will be sadly missed when they retire.
FTID

God The Mechanic

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on June 08, 2015, 10:48:57 AM
Pirlo for me, as he never got to play in a team/s anywhere near the level Xavi has his entire career.

The Milan side that Pirlo played in was absolutely amazing.  He played with the likes of Maldini, Costacurta, Gattuson, Rivaldo, Rui Costa, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Nesta, Seedorf, Kaka, Ronaldinho.  The Italian national team wasn't too shabby either.

Even if he didn't, to say that playing in better sides hinders Xavi is a bit silly.  He was a large part of the reason WHY they were such good sides.

FPT

Pirlo for me, as he never got to play in a team/s anywhere near the level Xavi has his entire career. That being said, both are absolutely fantastic players, and will be sadly missed when they retire.

This team wasn't half bad... If this isn't near the level, I don't know what is.

Riverside

What a choice .
I voted for Xavi as he has won so much but Pirlo can certainly been seen as an equal

More interesting question is has England had any midfielder of the class of either of them ?
Gerrard ?
Lampard ?
Hoddle ?
Gazza ?

For me none of the above .
Can anyone offer up any candidates ?

dannyboi-ffc

For the type of player Scholes is close but not in an England shirt. I mean overall.

I would like an older head to compare those greats with the likes of Haynes. That would be an interesting read

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

SmithyFFC

Quote from: FPT on June 08, 2015, 11:33:51 AM

This team wasn't half bad... If this isn't near the level, I don't know what is.

Good team, but really, you think that's comparable to playing with the likes of Messi, Ineista, Villa, Toure, Pique, Neymar, Henry, Eto'o etc...
FTID

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on June 08, 2015, 12:10:54 PM
Quote from: FPT on June 08, 2015, 11:33:51 AM

Good team, but really, you think that's comparable to playing with the likes of Messi, Ineista, Villa, Toure, Pique, Neymar, Henry, Eto'o etc...

I actually think that back 5 is better than Barcelona's. I dont think it really hinders the team by having Pirlo instead of Xavi. The only key difference is up front where xavi certainly benefitted from having more movement and better players to pass to. But seedorf and kaka in midfield, I wouldnt complain. A few years ago Kala was unreal and Seedorf has always been a class player.

But picking it by position I'd say Barcelonas current team probably win that 6 players to 5. My opinion of course and not a fact

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

God The Mechanic

Valdes
Cafu Nesta Pique Maldini
Iniesta Xavi Seedorf
Messi Shevchenko Kaka

Two of Puyol/Nesta/Pique was the only tough choice in the back five.  Midfield is where it gets interesting, would definitely have Biscuits over Gattuso but Seedorf over Biscuits - Iniesta is a no brainer.  Villa had one and a bit seasons before breaking his leg for Barca, Shevchenko is better than Eto'o IMO.  Kaka was the best in the world when he was at Milan.  Messi... yeah.

nose

need a third option in the vote for both equally amazing!

dannyboi-ffc

Dida
Cafu    Nesta       Puyol      Maldini

Pirlo         Xavi

Iniesta

Messi             Etoo                  Ronaldinho

I make that 6-5 like I said above. Its fair to say both teams and both players are incredible but one are the masters of defence and the other masters of attack

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

PaulJ123

Xavi for me, him and Iniesta in that Barca midfield a few seasons ago were mesmerising

HatterDon

Both of them are real. Roy of the Rovers is a legend.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Forever Fulham

I went with Pirlo.  He had a disappointing Champions' Final, but I'm choosing to ignore that.  I look a who Xavi played along side, and, well, I think it skews a fair comparison.  But I can't take anything away from Xavi or Iniesta.   As they say in Texas, we'd be picking the fly poo out of the pepper.   Too close to see meaningful differences.