watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Statement of intent to assist proposition

Started by The Old Count, June 09, 2015, 08:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Count

When Al Fayed took over he sacked Micky Adams who had achieved promotion.  Why? Because he wanted to make a statement of intent.  He hired Keegan and Wilkins.  This enabled him to make a proposal to players who would not normaly come to a club in the position that we were in at that time.
What worries me is that there seems to be no equivillant statement of intent, no leverage to attract the type of player we need to mount a serious challenge for promotion. Last year it was easier to attract players such as Ross McCormack as we were a relegated Premiership club with a good prospect of promotion. This year we are just a lower table Championship team with little to offer.
Should we have hired a strong 'name' manager to provide that statement.  Have we committed to a longer term approach to achieving promotion back to the Premiership?  Is it this concern that worries people about retaining Kit?

NJFulham

based on your logic, the statement of intent was meulensteen

Oakeshott

I think that by the beginning of the coming season Khan's statement of intent will be clear enough. We may or may not like it, but it will be clear, and revealed not by words but by actions over the next eight weeks or so.

BestOfBrede

I agree Count - you're not Arthur Strong are you?

My issue has always been that I do not believe Kit has the 'name' that has has pulling power just by his lack of experience, and that's why I don't see him taking us up or to the 'next level' if we did go up.

mikestrand

Quote from: The Old Count on June 09, 2015, 08:54:47 PM
When Al Fayed took over he sacked Micky Adams who had achieved promotion.  Why? Because he wanted to make a statement of intent.  He hired Keegan and Wilkins.  This enabled him to make a proposal to players who would not normaly come to a club in the position that we were in at that time.
What worries me is that there seems to be no equivillant statement of intent, no leverage to attract the type of player we need to mount a serious challenge for promotion. Last year it was easier to attract players such as Ross McCormack as we were a relegated Premiership club with a good prospect of promotion. This year we are just a lower table Championship team with little to offer.
Should we have hired a strong 'name' manager to provide that statement.  Have we committed to a longer term approach to achieving promotion back to the Premiership?  Is it this concern that worries people about retaining Kit?

Good points well put.

Forever Fulham

Have to agree with this line of thought.  We barely survived back to back relegations.  We have relatively new manager without a winning pedigree as a first team manager (of adults).  We are making pitches for players, offering money, and getting rejected in favour of other clubs or the target player's current club.  have to believe that part of the reason for inability to land any big fish to-date has to do with how Kit is perceived by these targeted players.  How could it be otherwise?

Chutney

Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 09, 2015, 10:50:22 PM
Have to agree with this line of thought.  We barely survived back to back relegations.  We have relatively new manager without a winning pedigree as a first team manager (of adults).  We are making pitches for players, offering money, and getting rejected in favour of other clubs or the target player's current club.  have to believe that part of the reason for inability to land any big fish to-date has to do with how Kit is perceived by these targeted players.  How could it be otherwise?

I've yet to see any factual evidence that we are making offers and being rejected for any of the players we have been linked with, its all paper talk. We simply don't now what players we are going for.
C O Y W

Lighthouse

No because on this basis the players will only move for the name of a manager. Which as we have been aware of before is simply not the case. Ross didn't come here because of his love of a German manager. So players will move for many reasons. A young manager who saved a club from relegation by 11 points will not be one of them any more than they would move for Big Sam or any other name being tossed about.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jonaldiniho 88

I actually feel Rigg is our next hero. He may not get the credit for it that a manager would but he has clout and a lot of it. Whatever you want to say about Ali Mac he has brought in some incredible signings on paper. It turns out origami doesn't win football games. Rigg is our scout, football adviser and I would argue any position kit wants Rigg has the say on players. He seems like a thoroughly organised man with fingers in more pies than were sold at the last home game at the cottage. This is absolute speculation but my gut tells me either I need the loo or I'm right. I'm out of paper so I hope Rigg and khan has a lot of paper to make this work. Kit says I want a good player in that position and Rigg supplies him. Sorry for the reference but Rigg may be to our club what Roy and lowington were to our first team. My opinion of kit hasn't changed, I wish him well and think Rigg may be the help he needs to get us in the champions league.

beijing ben

I do agree with this. Tigana was a statement of intent. But now the landscape has changed with Financial Fair Play. We were an attractive proposition to Keegan and Tigana because of the funds at our disposal back then. It was relatively simple to attract players. Not the case now as we can't justify it if we want to stay within the rules. Maybe Khan has tried to get a high calibre manager but they have just turned us down..

Forever Fulham

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 09, 2015, 11:25:33 PM
No because on this basis the players will only move for the name of a manager. Which as we have been aware of before is simply not the case. Ross didn't come here because of his love of a German manager. So players will move for many reasons. A young manager who saved a club from relegation by 11 points will not be one of them any more than they would move for Big Sam or any other name being tossed about.
I'm not making it out as an all or nothing proposition, that the manager is the ONLY reason a prospect would or wouldn't accept an offer.  But I believe it's a big part of the decisionmaking process.  When Ross joined, had opinions coalesced over Magath?  Not yet, I think.  When Ross joined, we were a just-relegated EPL team with a manager with a reputation for turning around struggling teams.  But now...

Snibbo

Have to agree with this line of thought.  We barely survived back to back relegations. 
We finished 11 points clear of relegation. That's a bit better than 'barely survived'

mikestrand

Quote from: Snibbo on June 10, 2015, 02:53:47 AM
Have to agree with this line of thought.  We barely survived back to back relegations. 
We finished 11 points clear of relegation. That's a bit better than 'barely survived'
We finished 17th,  26 points away from the play offs.
Unfortunately these are the stats any new potential signing will be looking at.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: Jonaldiniho 88 on June 09, 2015, 11:28:31 PM
I actually feel Rigg is our next hero. He may not get the credit for it that a manager would but he has clout and a lot of it. Whatever you want to say about Ali Mac he has brought in some incredible signings on paper. It turns out origami doesn't win football games. Rigg is our scout, football adviser and I would argue any position kit wants Rigg has the say on players. He seems like a thoroughly organised man with fingers in more pies than were sold at the last home game at the cottage. This is absolute speculation but my gut tells me either I need the loo or I'm right. I'm out of paper so I hope Rigg and khan has a lot of paper to make this work. Kit says I want a good player in that position and Rigg supplies him. Sorry for the reference but Rigg may be to our club what Roy and lowington were to our first team. My opinion of kit hasn't changed, I wish him well and think Rigg may be the help he needs to get us in the champions league.
Agree with this - except the bit about the loo paper, we're well stocked :)

The Old Count

It's not a case of simply moving because of the manager.  It is the entire proposition that the club presents in terms of ambition and likelihood of success that attracted players to us when MAF took over.  People look at us and see club that has been on a downward spiral for the last few years (when a manager left citing 'lack of ambition').  It is this perception that needs to be addressed.

MJG

Quote from: The Old Count on June 10, 2015, 08:44:30 AM

It's not a case of simply moving because of the manager.  It is the entire proposition that the club presents in terms of ambition and likelihood of success that attracted players to us when MAF took over.  People look at us and see club that has been on a downward spiral for the last few years (when a manager left citing 'lack of ambition').  It is this perception that needs to be addressed.
The 'Lack of ambition' quote. Do you really believe the average run of the mill footballer who lets say has not lived in London and is maybe 23 has ever even heard of that quote from Hughes.

All fans live live in their own bubble of a team and think every quote, loss, win, sacking is taken notice by everyone else. When in reality outside of the club your involved in yo dont really know what goes on at other clubs.
We look from the outside and see Clough got the sack at Utd...if you were a player would you go to a club that sacks its manager for making the playoffs?

Players move for money most of the time. Yes some managers make a difference in pulling players in but I think thats overblown in the importance of things.

Some of you give players too much credit for why they join a club, its a job and how much does it pay are the main importance to them. Once they arrive at a club and learn about it and become heroes and that view changes for some of them.

The Old Count

Quote from: MJG on June 10, 2015, 09:16:38 AM
Quote from: The Old Count on June 10, 2015, 08:44:30 AM

The 'Lack of ambition' quote. Do you really believe the average run of the mill footballer who lets say has not lived in London and is maybe 23 has ever even heard of that quote from Hughes.

All fans live live in their own bubble of a team and think every quote, loss, win, sacking is taken notice by everyone else. When in reality outside of the club your involved in yo dont really know what goes on at other clubs.
We look from the outside and see Clough got the sack at Utd...if you were a player would you go to a club that sacks its manager for making the playoffs?

Players move for money most of the time. Yes some managers make a difference in pulling players in but I think thats overblown in the importance of things.

Some of you give players too much credit for why they join a club, its a job and how much does it pay are the main importance to them. Once they arrive at a club and learn about it and become heroes and that view changes for some of them.
With all due respect, some of you don't give players enough credit. Not all players are entirely mercenary and money orientated. Some look to improve themselves by being part of a successful team.  Additionally, whilst your average 23 year old player may not be aware of what has happened at our club over recent years their agents will and it is those agents that sell the proposition to the player (of course the financial and contractual terms have to be right as well).
My point was: would a better profile of management help to attract higher quality players like it did when Al Fayed took over.

Barrett487

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on June 09, 2015, 11:04:04 PM
That mirrors my thoughts and concerns entirely. Apart from all his other deficiencies, he hasn't got the pulling power either.

Jazz Richards?

Ok.... point well made