watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gangs of chimpanzees

Started by DeuceBigelow, June 13, 2015, 01:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeuceBigelow

I'm unsure if I've noticed it more as I sat behind the dugouts last season, or if it is actually a new phenomenon, but has anyone else observed increased numbers in the away team's dugout? As a family club and as a spectator who often brings his son and daughter to games I've been shocked by the behaviour of away team's benches, which often seem to be made up of burly blokes whose only function seems to be to jump up and down en masse and to argue and intimidate the fourth official- who appears powerless and bullied.

Middlesborough were particularly bad and were even screaming at the referee by his first name- I was glad when they weren't promoted for their intimidation tactics alone.

I would like to see the FA give the fourth official more protection and powers. Perhaps they should also consider limiting the bench numbers, before intimidation becomes a strategy for too many teams.

The spectacles of last season were quite the opposite of Kit, who is often a dignified, solitary figure on the touchline.
Riverside Block W

cmg

I was struck by a similar thought myself, having paid more attention than usual to the benches to see if Kit was there (he was in the stand as it happens).
I didn't particularly note their behaviour, merely the enormous numbers involved, not only on both benches but in the 'no man's land' between the two benches. I know there are great many 'technical' staff and officials these days, especially when UEFA and similar organizations  are involved, but I suspect that many of these are hangers-on and gravy-train passengers, whose absence would not significantly detract from the proceedings.

I'm not sure why the 'Fourth Official' has to stand there at all. His main function, which seems to be to relay the numbers (subs, additional time) to the 'Board Man' - sometimes accurately! - could just as easily be done by radio or mobile from a seat in the stand (or even at home). I suspect he may be there to perform a sort of Customer Service Centre function i.e to deflect the wrath of the customers away from those who can actually do something about the problem. In other words he's there to be shouted at. The only way to ease his pain would be to reduce the number of shouters (as Deuce suggests).