watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Deadly Snake

Started by HatterDon, June 15, 2015, 11:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Most people believe it was the FulhAmericans who brought us yanks to FFC. Well, that may be for some, but it was Boa Morte who got me hooked.

Eccentric, exciting and unfailingly Fulham
– looking back at Luis Boa Morte

I had a look on one of those 'On this day' websites this morning – and I'm very glad I did. Buried at the bottom of countless interesting factoids was the revelation that it was fourteen years ago today that Fulham concluded a deal to sign Luis Boa Morte from Southampton on a permanent basis. Boa Morte was essentially an enigma; one of those people you couldn't sum up in a sentence, but one of the greatest Fulham characters of my generation. At his very best, he was simply unplayable, as a legion of befuddled full-backs could attest to, and he always played the game with a smile on his face.

He headed back to London after being unfairly jettisoned by Southampton manager Glenn Hoddle and came with a pedigree after breaking through into the Arsenal first-team during the early years of Arsene Wenger's tenure. Jean Tigana was encouraged by Boa Morte's enthusiasm during a trial and figured that pacey Portuguese forward might be able to fire a promotion bid. He wasn't wrong. Boa Morte's first season at Craven Cottage was breathtaking. Part of an attacking triumvirate including Louis Saha and Barry Hayles that tore the First Division apart, Boa Morte scored 21 goals in 46 appearances – combining predatory finishing with the burst of acceleration that characterised Tigana's extraordinary side.

Take a look, for example, at this sweeping move during a deadlocked game at early promotion rivals Norwich, featuring Saha, Sean Davis, and John Collins, which Boa Morte finished with real aplomb:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1HY5fin8uE

Boa Morte initially struggled to recapture his Division One form in the top flight, flitting between a centre forward's role and a position on the left of midfield, although he did star as Fulham took their first steps into Europe, reaching the third round of the UEFA Cup after winning the Intertoto Cup. When Chris Coleman implemented his 4-5-1 system and played Boa Morte as a genuine left-winger, the 'Dead Snake' began to rediscover his venom. His contribution to the side couldn't simply be measured in goals alone, such was his undoubted commitment to the course and unquestionable will-to-win. That desire may have got him on the wrong side of referees, but it certainly endeared him to the Fulham fans almost as much as his uncanny ability to deliver a moment of magic from nowhere.

Boa Morte looked fearsome in full flight down the Fulham left flank. He married a turn of speed with an exceptional football brain, the ability to shift the ball from foot to foot in the blink of an eye and the means to fashion a shot irrespective of the position or pressure around him. Ten goals in 2003-04, including one sensational length of the field run to score a simply stupendous effort against Blackburn Rovers in April, were a key factor in helping Coleman's charges reach a ten club record of ninth in the top flight and secured a return to the Portuguese national picture. An indication of Boa Morte's 'mad as a bunch of frogs' mentality came on the final day of the season, when he stripped to his underpants in celebration of a win at Bolton, to throw his kit to the celebrating away fans after the final whistle.

That cult hero status was only underlined by his sublime performances in the next two years. He scored nine goals in 2004-05 as Fulham flirted with the relegation zone, before finishing the season with four fine wins over Everton, Newcastle, Blackburn and memorably, Norwich City, in the spring sunshine. That summer saw the likes of Newcastle United and Tottenham chasing his signature, with Fulham fans putting together an internet petition full of messages that ran to fully thirty pages pleading with him to stay. Boa Morte flashed that trademark smile – he is, essentially, a humble and modest man – on receipt of the fans' pleas and duly signed a new contract.

The following season saw an uncomfortable experiment in central midfield stifle some of Boa Morte's creativity, upon which the side thrived, but also included the moment he wrote his name into Fulham folklore with that memorable winner against Chelsea at Craven Cottage. An instinctive, somewhat scrappy strike, that meant so much: the game was won with the grit and determination that Boa Morte's never-say-die attitude encapsulated. His form might have tailed off towards the end of his Fulham career, but the affection for Boa Morte has never dwindled – as evidenced by the disappointment that greeted his decision to return to Portugal to pursue a career in coaching that had begun at Motspur Park.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2015/06/eccentric-exciting-and-unfailingly-fulham-looking-back-at-luis-boa-morte/?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

dannyboi-ffc

Every kid/ teenager has a hero growing up and mine was Boa. The fastest player by a mile that I've seen play for us, no one since or before him was able to beat a player with pace like he could. Anyone can be fast but there is an art to allowing your brain to keep up with your legs and his vision/ability to make the right decision in the final third made him our most important player for the first 3 years back at the Cottage along with Steed. When Saha left they really stepped up and kept us going.

Saha and Boa were for me the most exciting players we've had and would both be worth a fortune in todays market for their attributes. He is also a really nice guy, met him a few times and he always makes time for the fans.

In particular I remember 4 goals he scored, one against pompey at home where he nicked the ball off of Primus and seemed to over run it into the box but his pace allowed him to just beat David James to the ball and somehow at an angle he managed to keep his balance, notice the defender sliding to block the shot and calmly feinted the shot meaning the defender just slid past for an easy tap in.

Another was Charlton at home where he took on 3 players and just left them for dead before finishing on his weaker foot. He had already scored a freekick from an absurd angle but the keeper did have a mare.

Third goal wasnt the famous win vs chelski, it was a 1-1 draw away when Boa equalised by turning Desially inside out twice. It would be in my top 20 goals I have seen live.

But his greatest goal was a goal not many players could do, against blackburn at loftus road somehow he got in behind the defence after winning the ball back deep in his own half, doing a brilliant 1-2 with Collins John and after that no one was ever going to catch him.

I am sure Boa will admit himself he wasnt a good captain, legend to the club but never with the armband just like Brede.

I love ya Boa!!!!!!!
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

HatterDon

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on June 15, 2015, 11:29:15 PM
Every kid/ teenager has a hero growing up and mine was Boa. The fastest player by a mile that I've seen play for us, no one since or before him was able to beat a player with pace like he could. Anyone can be fast but there is an art to allowing your brain to keep up with your legs and his vision/ability to make the right decision in the final third made him our most important player for the first 3 years back at the Cottage along with Steed. When Saha left they really stepped up and kept us going.

Saha and Boa were for me the most exciting players we've had and would both be worth a fortune in todays market for their attributes. He is also a really nice guy, met him a few times and he always makes time for the fans.

In particular I remember 4 goals he scored, one against pompey at home where he nicked the ball off of Primus and seemed to over run it into the box but his pace allowed him to just beat David James to the ball and somehow at an angle he managed to keep his balance, notice the defender sliding to block the shot and calmly feinted the shot meaning the defender just slid past for an easy tap in.

Another was Charlton at home where he took on 3 players and just left them for dead before finishing on his weaker foot. He had already scored a freekick from an absurd angle but the keeper did have a mare.

Third goal wasnt the famous win vs chelski, it was a 1-1 draw away when Boa equalised by turning Desially inside out twice. It would be in my top 20 goals I have seen live.

But his greatest goal was a goal not many players could do, against blackburn at loftus road somehow he got in behind the defence after winning the ball back deep in his own half, doing a brilliant 1-2 with Collins John and after that no one was ever going to catch him.

I am sure Boa will admit himself he wasnt a good captain, legend to the club but after with the armband just like Brede.

I love ya Boa!!!!!!!

I'm not really sure we've had that kind of pace on the wing since. Boa on the left and Steed on the right. Too much fun.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

dgnffc

In every game he played it just seemed like you were waiting for the player trying to mark him getting booked (and sometimes subsequently sent off). Must have been a nightmare to play against!

filham

With due respect to Les Barret and Damien Duff Boa is probably our best ever player in the wide left position.

alfie

My only issue with Boa was he could have a massive sulk on if things went wrong, I remember a time when a pass to him was off the mark and he just stood there hands on hips for ages with the game going on around him, I reckon that's where Berbatov got his sulks from.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't