watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (25/06/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 25, 2015, 08:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham: Did you ever meet the great Johnny Haynes? You're needed!

New book about Whites legend requires fans' memories

Sign here: Johnny Haynes in October 1955.

Fulham fans who met the great Johnny Haynes are needed for a new book about the club's greatest player.

As most Whites fans don't need reminding, the man who played a record-breaking 657 times for Whites and 56 times for England - 22 of them as captain, is immortalised in bronze outside the Stevenage Road stand at the Cottage.

James Gardener plans a book for autumn 2016 about the first £100-a-week footballer at a time when players were little more than serfs.

Legend: the Johnny Haynes statue outside Craven Cottage

Haynes died in 2005 the day after his 71st birthday, but his widow Avril has given her blessing to the book, and after interviewing friends and fellow footballers close to the legend, Gardener would like to speak to fans who encountered him.

"I'm looking for anecdotes and memories from anyone who met Johnny," the author said.

"I'm hoping the book will complement the very good biography written about him by Ken Coton and Martin Plumb that came out in 2008."

Fans who want to share their Haynesian moments should email: [email protected]

Action man: Haynes takes on Mike Bailey of Wolves.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-you-ever-meet-great-9509078?

WhiteJC

Fulham 5-a-side: Gentleman Jim McGullion

Having watched Fulham for decades, matchday commentator Gentleman Jim is well placed to give his ultimate 5-a-side team.

Edwin van der Sar

If I was going on favourite players I'd have someone like Gerry Peyton in goal, but if you're talking about actual ability and wanting to win the 5-a-side World Cup, then I'd opt for van der Sar. With his size and shot stopping ability, in a small goal I think he'd be ideal. If he had any shortcomings it was dealing with crosses, in my opinion, and that's something he wouldn't have to worry about in 5-a-side. He liked to play sweeper on occasion, too, and dribble with the ball – and sometimes lose it! He's played at the top level and I guess most people would say he's the best goalkeeper we've ever had.

Tony Gale

I was thinking Steve Finnan, Paul Parker, Bobby Moore – it's very difficult to leave Bobby Moore out – but in the end, as my out-and-out defender I've just given Galey the nod over Moore because he was the better of the two while they were playing at Fulham. I think he'd be more suited to 5-a-side, too, because I think he'd be better carrying the ball forward.

Johnny Haynes

In midfield I was thinking of modern players like John Collins, Danny Murphy, someone who may be short of pace but on a small pitch they can just kill the ball and move it quickly. But you can't look past Johnny Haynes – it would be impossible. I did see him play, albeit only for about four or five years. I don't know what he'd be like on a 5-a-side pitch but a player of his ability, particularly his passing ability, it would be impossible to leave him out.

George Best

Georgie Best is another one you can't leave out, because you've got to have a dribbler, someone who's got natural ability to take people on. I was toying with the idea of people like Mousa Dembélé, Luis Boa Morte, Ray Houghton, those sorts of people, but even though he wasn't at his greatest when he was with us, to me George Best is the best player that ever lived. So the fact that he wore the Fulham shirt at all is just great. And at 5-a-side he'd take the mickey.

Dimitar Berbatov

I was initially thinking of Louis Saha up front because I went for him and Allan Clarke when I did a similar 11-a-side thing. Certainly at top level, in terms of scoring goals, he did it for us with his pace, but I wasn't sure if that would be a major asset at 5-a-side without that space to run in. So in the end I went against the grain a little as I wasn't always the happiest with him at Fulham, but I think you'd have to put Berbatov in. His natural ability and his control of the ball would mean he could do a bit of magic and pluck a goal out of somewhere. In 5-a-side I imagine he'd be brilliant because he could probably stand still! He had a God-given first touch and I think with him and Bestie up front you wouldn't have a problem nicking a few goals, and it would be great to watch.

There's no denying Jim's side is full of class, but do you agree with his choices? Have your say by submitting your ultimate Fulham 5-a-side team below.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/june/24/fulham-5-a-side-mcgullion?

WhiteJC

LVC Finishes Top

Denmark have finished top of Group A in the UEFA European Under-21 Championships to qualify for the semi-finals.

Lasse Vigen Christensen came on as a 66th minute substitution in the final game of the group stages on Tuesday evening, where Denmark recorded a 2-0 victory over Serbia.

At the start of the night all four teams in Group A had a chance of qualifying for the semi-finals, but an opening goal from Rasmus Falk in the 21st minute, followed by another from Viktor Fischer just after the break gave the Danes a comfortable victory.

The result, alongside Germany's 1-1 draw against the Czech Republic, meant the Danes qualified with six points as the winners of Group A, with tournament favourites Germany in second and also through to the semi-finals with five points.

Denmark coach Jess Thorup, speaking after the match, said: "Of course I'm very pleased. After the last game, against Germany, I was a bit worried about how we would go into this game. The way we mobilised as a team, and the way we played, makes me very happy.

"We're very happy to be staying in Prague. We look forward to watching the [Group B] games on TV and then look forward to seeing who we're going to play against."

Denmark will now face the runners-up of Group B in the semi final in Prague on Saturday. It is Denmark's third appearance at this tournament, but only the first time they have made it out of the group stages.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/june/24/lvc-finishes-top?

WhiteJC

Stadium Store and Cafe Closures

Supporters are advised that the Stadium Store and the Stadium Café will be closed this weekend on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th June.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/june/24/stadium-store-closed?

WhiteJC

Home Kit Launch on 16th July

The 2015/16 Fulham Home Kit will be revealed and on sale from 16th July 2015.

Take a look at the inspiration behind the new design here:

WIN THIS SIGNED 1975 CUP FINAL SHIRT!

Share or retweet the video on Twitter to be entered into the draw to win this 1975 FA Cup Final shirt signed by a selection of players from the squad that reached the Final including John Mitchell, John Fraser, Peter Mellor and Les Strong.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/june/24/kit-launch-preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Ryan Tunnicliffe banned over offensive tweet

Ryan Tunnicliffe: Suspended for the first two matches of next season.

Fulham player Ryan Tunnicliffe has been suspended for two games and fined £5,000 over Twitter comments aimed at Patrick Bamford.

The midfielder, who admitted the charge of aggravated misconduct and will sit out the first two games of next season, has also been ordered to attend a mandatory education course.

The 22-year-old published a tweet containing a slur about Chelsea striker Bamford, who was on loan at Middlesbrough, following Boro's Championship play-off defeat to Norwich in May.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9894137?

WhiteJC

Fulham make move for Brentford's Tarkowski

HITC Sport understands Fulham have made a bid for Brentford defender James Tarkowski.

HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club that Fulham have launched a raid on local rivals Brentford by making a move for defender James Tarkowski.

Tarkowski has impressed at Brentford since joining the club from Oldham Athletic in January 2014.

The powerful centre-back helped the club to win promotion from League One in his debut campaign and he was instrumental in the club's push to reach the Championship play-off semi-finals last season.

Fulham have made defensive reinforcements one of their top priorities this summer as they look to shore up a defence which was the second worst in the Championship last season, conceding 83 goals.

The Whites are believed to have made bids for the likes of Wolves' Richard Stearman, Brighton's Lewis Dunk and Sheffield Wednesday's Tom Lees, but have seen all their offers rejected so far.

As a result, Fulham have switched their attention to Tarkowski and are understood to have tabled a bid in the region of £2.25 million for the 22-year-old.

Brentford are reluctant to lose Takowski, but they could find it hard to turn down a sizeable offer for the centre-back.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/06/24/fulham-make-move-for-brentfords-tarkowski/

WhiteJC

Hoogland Joins VfL Bochum

The veteran fullback that joined Fulham from Schalke 04 a year ago, has agreed to terms through 2017 with 2. Bundesliga side, VfL Bochum.

The news was officially announced by the German side via their twitter account:

If the club sounds familiar, it's because Fulham youngster Thomas Eisfeld spent time last season loaned out to the same outfit.

This move leaves Fulham with only Jack Grimmer and Kay Voser as viable options at right back for the first team. It would be nice to see the Whites sign another player at this position because Grimmer is still learning and I'm hesitant to believe Voser is cut out for the role. Ww will just have to wait and see how the team handles this shift in personnel.

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2015/6/24/8838603/hoogland-joins-vfl-bochum

WhiteJC

Aston Villa in race for Jazz Richards

Villa, Norwich and Fulham showing interest in £500k-rated Swansea full-back

Aston Villa have joined the race to sign Swansea right-back Jazz Richards.

The 24-year-old is available this summer for around £500,000 as he enters into the final 12 months of his contract and boss Tim Sherwood has shown an interest.

Fulham, the club where he spent the second half of last season on loan at, and Norwich are both also in for the Wales international who looks certain to leave this summer but that will not deter the claret and blues pursuit.

Sherwood allowed Matt Lowton to join Burnley for around £1million and it's thought he will not stand in Alan Hutton's way if he wants to leave this summer, too.

The Scot's exit is only likely if Villa do land a new right-back and after missing out on Kieran Trippier, Richards is now under serious consideration.

Last season the full-back featured for the Swans towards the back end of the campaign after enjoying a decent loan spell at Fulham in the Championship.

He also stood out in Wales recent win over Belgium in Cardiff.

The full-back is expected to discuss his future with Swansea and the interested clubs when he returns from holiday tomorrow.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-race-jazz-richards-9521875?