watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (22.07.10)

Started by White Noise, July 21, 2010, 11:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6274579,00.html?
Jol laments missed opportunity
Dutch manager rues missed Fulham chance

Ajax boss Martin Jol admits he was disappointed to miss out on becoming Fulham's new manager.

The 54-year-old confirmed he would be staying with Eredivisie club Ajax this season after being heavily linked with the vacant Cottagers role.

Ajax were keen to retain the services of Jol,who arrived at the Dutch club last year, and barred his exit when he was on the brink of a Craven Cottage move.

And former Tottenham boss Jol admits he would have relished a return to the Premier League, and was flattered by Fulham's interest.

Unbelievable

"It was unbelievable," he told Sky Sports News. "I like Fulham, I like England, I like London.

"So I was probably a bit disappointed I had to say no, because the board don't want to let me go under any circumstances."

Jol held discussions with Cottagers chief executive Alistair Mackintosh over a potential move, and says he was impressed by what the London club had to offer.

"He (Mackintosh) was offering a good job at a good club with good players - good honest players," added Jol.

"I was willing to go there but as I said, I'm under contract. We spoke about it and not just for five minutes, for hours."

The manager admits the drawn-out speculation over his future was not good for Ajax, and says he was wary of causing any more grief for the club.

"It took a long time, which was probably not good for this club, because it's a big club with one and a half million fans in Holland," he said.

"I had to tell them (Fulham) I had to stay. All the problems, going to court, I didn't want that, because Ajax is too big to be put through that misery."

Disappointment
Jol also revealed he has not ruled out returning to the Premier League sometime in the future.

But despite his disappointment at losing out on the Fulham post, Jol insists he is content to remain at Ajax and is not being forced to stay against his will.

"Ajax is the biggest club over here," he added. "This a great club with great traditions.

"We spoke about it yesterday, they don't want to let me go, so I stay at Ajax. I'm happy that it's out of the way now."