watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (30/06/15)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 30, 2015, 07:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham forward Matt Smith hoping to put disruption behind him as he targets Championship success

Matt Smith is looking forward to the new season with Fulham

Fulham forward Matt Smith would be forgiven for wanting a more relaxed season than the one he has just experienced.

Three clubs. Two transfers. A deadline day switch. A league and cup double. As well as staving off relegation. Smith did it all last season, but did so the only way he knows best, by scoring goals. 19 in fact - a career best for the 6ft 6in frontman.

"It was certainly very eventful. I feel I made some meaningful contributions," Smith told Sky Sports.

The 2014/15 season was no doubt the most disruptive of the understated 26-year-old's career. Having started the campaign at Leeds United - then in the midst of another off the field crisis - Smith escaped the ensuing turmoil at Elland Road by completing a £500,000 switch to recently relegated Fulham. The move promised a fresh start and the chance to resume the lethal partnership with former Leeds team-mate Ross McCormack, one that had fired in 42 goals the previous season. But, as it turned out, the move was not as simple as first thought.

Felix Magath - the man who signed Smith - paid the price for the club's awful start to their first season outside of the top-flight for 13 years. With the club rooted in the Championship relegation zone, former Fulham defender Kit Symons was handed the managerial reins. Smith, having sealed what he thought was a progressive move in his career, was soon told he did not figure in Symons' plans and was farmed out on loan to League One leaders Bristol City in November to gain game time.

"The first few months at the club were pretty tough to take. It was probably the first time in my career that I have not even been a 'plan B'. When Kit came in, there was a real energy about the place, the team were playing well and Ross [McCormack] and Hugo [Rodallega] were playing well together. There was no real need to involve me as the team was winning," Smith said.

Smith endured a difficult first few months at Craven Cottage

Hitting 13 goals in 20 games for the Robins, though, breathed new life into Smith's season, one which had seemed destined to end permanently away from Craven Cottage. However Smith, who was awarded League One and Johnstone's Paint Trophy winners' medals for the part he played in City's double success, would return to Fulham in March with his parent club still embroiled in a fight to avoid successive relegations.

Symons, who had discarded Smith four months previously, looked to the forward to help save the club from their perilous position. A link between Smith and McCormack was arguably the final throw of the dice from an increasing under-pressure Symons. It proved a masterstroke as the duo fired 12 goals in as many matches to preserve the club's Championship status.

"Like plenty of others, I have had many setbacks during my career, but the attitude that I have maintained throughout is just to see past them and relentlessly strive for self-improvement because I know that opportunities will consequently pop up. When I came back, it was a bit more of a nervy time and maybe the team needed something different. And that's when I came in. I have always felt confident within myself that, when given the opportunity, I will score goals," Smith said.

Smith's strike rate would certainly attest to that. He is currently boasting an average of a goal every 163 minutes in the Championship. Despite this impressive goalscoring record, Smith still remains wary of how he can sometimes be perceived.

He added: "Certainly with my build and the type of player that I am, I have to accept I may not be every manager's cup of tea. I'm probably a little bit more unique than most strikers in that sense."

And it is that supposed tag of only being a big, target man striker that has followed Smith throughout his career. His rise to prominence for Oldham Athletic in the FA Cup in 2013 demonstrated his undoubted aerial ability, scoring twice in a famous 3-2 fourth round victory over Liverpool and twice again over two games against Everton in the fifth round.

Although always willing to concede his aerial prowess as a major strength in his game, Smith hopes his performances, contributions and, most importantly, goals last season have helped to shake off the 'big man' label. 

"A very pleasing point from last season, especially during my time with Bristol City and when I came back to Fulham, was that I was able to demonstrate that I am not a one dimensional striker and am capable of scoring a variety of different goals," Smith said.

"Amongst them were volleys, left and right footed shots from outside the box and even back heels. There were all manner of goals and that was the most pleasing point - not trying to be stuck to that stereotype of just being a big man that heads it in at the back stick.

Smith netted 19 goals last season, including five for Fulham

"Sure, that is part of my game and something which I can be effective at, but managing to break the mould of the stereotypical big striker can be quite difficult. But I am hoping last season proved that I have much more to my game.

"It's another fresh slate this coming season and hopefully, if given the opportunity, I can show the Fulham fans what I am really all about for a sustained period of time. Everyone at the club wants to put the disappointment of last season behind us and really crack on this year."

However, Smith knows that just surviving in English football's second tier will not satisfy the club's fans, manager or highly ambitious owner, Shahid Khan, who acquired the west London outfit in August 2013 from former long-term chairman, Mohammed Al-Fayed.

Symons, who is set to step down from his role as Wales assistant manager to focus his attentions entirely on Fulham, has already been busy adding to his squad ahead of the new campaign.

Goalkeeper Andy Lonergan has joined the club on a free transfer from Bolton Wanderers, while highly-rated midfielder Ben Pringle has also signed following the expiry of his contract at Rotherham United. Scottish midfielder Tom Cairney last week completed a £3m switch from Blackburn Rovers to add to a growing number of new faces in Symons' squad.

Though conscious of the number of changes at the club over the past 12 months, Smith insists the aim this season must be to get Fulham back into the Premier League.

"Every bigger team in the division begins the season with the aspiration to secure promotion, but you have to remember there are a lot of tough sides in the division," Smith said. 

"It's never going to be easy, but the aspiration for Fulham must be to get back in the Premier League. Although, we have to take it one small step at a time. It was difficult last season, especially for Kit as he inherited a squad which was assembled by a number of different managers.

"Certainly it is a rebuilding process and that does not happen overnight. But what Kit does have is a lot of hard working players that will give their all and there is a lot of quality in the squad. You just hope we can get off to a good start and build up momentum, which is key."

*Season Tickets at Craven Cottage are available to purchase now, priced from £299 for adults and from just £47 for juniors (under 17s). For more information or to buy, visit: fulhamfc.com/seasontickets

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9897707/fulham-forward-matt-smith-hoping-to-put-disruption-behind-him-as-he-targets-championship-success?

WhiteJC

Manchester City chasing Fulham wonderkid Roberts

Liverpool and Manchester United have both previously attempted to sign the 18-year-old winger, who is regarded as the most gifted Englishman of his age group

Manchester City are in talks with Fulham over a deal for highly-rated teenage winger Patrick Roberts, Goal understands.

Roberts, 18, is regarded as one of the most gifted Englishmen of his age group and City are offering a package worth £5 million plus add-ons as they continue their home-grown recruitment drive this summer.

Fulham, however, are demanding £10m for a player they consider to be the jewel of a talented youth crop that produced FA Youth Cup finalists in 2014 and who helped inspire England to Under-17 European Championship glory in the same year.

Roberts, a boyhood Liverpool fan, made just two senior starts in the Championship last season as Fulham battled to preserve their survival in the second tier but is still being monitored by some of England's biggest clubs.

Manchester United and Liverpool have both attempted to sign Roberts in the past two years but it is City who are currently the front-runners, though they remain open to the possibility of loaning him back to Fulham or elsewhere to give him first-team football next season.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2015/06/29/13146022/-?

WhiteJC

Besiktas make €4m move for Fulham striker Kostas Mitroglou

Besiktas are in talks with Fulham over the transfer of Kostas Mitroglou according to the Turkish newspaper Fanatik.

The Black Eagles are understood to have set aside €4 million for the Greek international who is expected to leave London this summer.

Fanatik go onto state that Besiktas have also met with the 27-year-old's agent and are close to agreeing persona terms.

Mirtoglou has scored 19 goals in 32 appearances this season while on loan at Olympiakos. However, the Greek side do not have the recourses to buy the 27-year-old on a permanent basis.

Fulham are keen to sell the Greek international who is on high wages at the London based club.

The Black Eagles are on the hunt for a new striker after selling Demba Ba to the Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua for €13 million.

Beşiktaş finished the Turkish Super Lig season in third place and will play in the Europa League next season.

http://www.turkish-football.com/besiktas-make-e4m-move-for-fulham-striker-kostas-mitroglou/?

WhiteJC

Report: Everton face competition from Ajax for Fulham's Moussa Dembele

The Blues have been linked with a move for the Frenchman all summer but others are said to be interested.

Everton will face competition from Ajax and Genoa for Fulham youngster Moussa Dembele according to the Daily Mail.

The French youngster has been linked with a move to Goodison Park for most of the summer with it being thought the Blues had made an approach for his services.

However, they may now face competition from both Ajax and Italian side Genoa, with the Daily Mail reports claiming that the Serie A side are pushing the hardest on the Championship side to secure a deal.

Fulham reportedly remain uninterested in any sale and want to keep hold of the French Under-19 international, who impressed in his 15 appearances for the first team last season.

First team recruits more important

A move for Moussa Dembele would make sense on Everton's part, as they look to sign youngsters for relatively low fees who can be developed for the future.

However, fans may argue that the club would be better served spending their money on proven stars now, with their forward line in particular in need of reinforcement.

The club currently have Romelu Lukaku as the undisputed number one but there is no tangible back up in the squad, with Arouna Kone failing to make the grade so far.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/06/29/report-everton-face-competition-from-ajax-for-fulhams-moussa-dem/?

WhiteJC

OPPOSITION PREVIEW: FULHAM

Saturday, 8th August 2015 - Cardiff City Stadium - 12pm kick-off
Saturday, 9th April 2016 - Craven Cottage - 3pm kick-off

The Bluebirds open their 2015/16 campaign against Fulham at Cardiff City Stadium. The Cottagers will be looking to improve on last season's 17th placed finish, with Welshman Kit Symons entering his first full season at the helm. The signing of midfield creator Tom Cairney from Blackburn Rovers somewhat signals their intentions to challenge during the coming campaign. Alongside the addition of Cairney, the London side have also added former Rotherham midfielder Ben Pringle and ex-Bolton 'keeper Andy Lonergan, adding further depth and experience to their ranks.

Last Time Out: Cardiff City 1-0 Fulham - Saturday, 10th January 2015, Sky Bet Championship

Our last game against Fulham, on the 10th January, was a significant one for Bluebirds fans with a return to the traditional Blue strip. An enjoyable day was complimented on field as Sean Morrison headed home from an Aron Gunnarsson long-throw to give City the win.

Previous Encounter: Fulham 1-2 Cardiff City - Saturday, 28th September 2013, Barclays Premier League

Another memorable game against the Cottagers came during our Premier League season in 2013/14. A late Jordon Mutch wonder strike gave City their first top-flight away win. Steven Caulker headed the opener but Fulham's Bryan Ruiz equalised on the stroke of half-time. Mutch had the last say though sending the travelling Bluebirds into dreamland.

Club Connections

Success at Craven Cottage this season will depend heavily on keeping hold of top-scorer and former Bluebird Ross McCormack. The Scottish striker scored 25 goals for Cardiff City in his two year spell before moving onto Leeds United. His much publicised move to the borough of Hammersmith and Fulham came about in the summer of 2014, and the striker didn't disappoint, scoring 19 times in his first campaign.

Did you know? Fulham were founded in 1879 by Church of England followers as Fulham St Andrew's Church Sunday School F.C before shortening the name to what we are familiar with today in 1888.

Read more at http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/article/opposition-preview-fulham-2510835.aspx#erU2ZDyu8SPXXlzr.99

WhiteJC

Fixture Amendments

The Club can confirm amendments to the following 2015/16 Sky Bet Championship fixtures:

Cardiff City v Fulham

Will now kick-off at the earlier time of 12pm. The date remains the same – Saturday 8th August.

Fulham v Leeds United

Will now take place on Wednesday 21st October (7.45pm), previously scheduled for Tuesday 20th October.

Fulham v Reading

Will now kick-off at the earlier time of 1.30pm. The date remains the same – Saturday 24th October.

Fulham v Rotherham United

Will now take place on Tuesday 29th December (7.45pm), previously scheduled for Monday 28th December.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2015/june/29/fixture-amendments?

WhiteJC

Striker Orlando Sa joins Royals

Forward signs three-year deal

Reading Football Club are delighted to confirm the signing of Portuguese international striker Orlando Sa.

The frontman joins on a three-year contract for an undisclosed fee from Legia Warsaw in Poland, and becomes the club's first capture of the summer.

The 27-year-old signs with an excellent goalscoring record in the past few seasons: since 2012 he has scored 32 goals in 48 starts and 24 sub appearances, finding the net every 143 minutes.

Last season he finished as Legia's top league goalscorer after bagging 14 goals in 15(+11) appearances in the Polish top flight.   

Sa has Premier League experience with Fulham, has represented Portugal at U20 and U21 level, and has one cap for the senior side.

Royals manager Steve Clarke said: "The striking department was one area of the team that everyone agreed needed strengthening this season. Obviously Orlando's goal record is really impressive but, for me, I was most impressed by his answer to my question about why he wanted to come to play for Reading in the Championship. Immediately he replied 'I want to play in the Premier League again and Reading can take me there'. He is motivated to prove that his previous spell in England with Fulham came too early in his career. He is a strong player who leads the line well and has an eye for a goal. I'm sure he will be a big asset to the squad this season."

Sa joined Braga's youth system aged 15 and progressed through the ranks at the Primeira Liga club before signing on loan at Maria Fonte for the 2007/08 campaign. He returned the following season to represent his parent club, making his debut in a 2–0 home win against C.F. Os Belenenses and scoring his first goal in a 2-2 draw against C.F. Estrela da Amadora.

He then joined Portuguese giants FC Porto in 2009, where he worked under Jesualdo Ferreira and Andre Villas Boas, before linking up with C.D. Nacional for the 2010/11 campaign; he struck the winning goal in a 2-1 win over title challengers S.L. Benfica that season.

A year later, he moved to the Premier League, joining Fulham. After making his debut for the club against Chelsea, he notched for the Craven Cottage outfit in a 1-1 draw with Norwich City.

Sa swapped West London for AEL Limassol in 2012 and he went on to hit the back of the net 18 times in 39 league appearances for the Cypriot club.

That attracted the interest of Legia, who snapped him up in February of last year, where he recorded an impressive league strike rate of one goal every 122 minutes in 2014/15.

Sa made a flying visit to Berkshire to sign this afternoon, and has flown back home for the birth of his new baby. He will return to the UK next weekend, travelling with the squad for our pre-season tour to Thailand a week on Sunday. His squad number will be confirmed in due course.

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/reading-football-club-orlando-sa-2511408.aspx#pI0ig0Rla5fQJesC.99

WhiteJC

Fulham: former Tottenham, Wolves and Blackpool midfielder training with club

Symons runs rule over ex-England U21 player

On the spot: Jamie O'Hara scores for Blackpool and is now training with Fulham

Jamie O'Hara is training with Fulham on their first proper day back ahead of the new season.

The former Blackpool and Wolves midfielder has been offered a new contract with Blackpool - but has clearly given his answer with Kit Symons running the rule over the man voted player of the season at Bloomfield Road, despite the club's relegation from the Championship.

Meanwhile, Whites have made changes to their Championship programme with the opening match at Cardiff City now scheduled for an earlier kick-off time of 12pm on August 8.

Fuham versus Leeds is now on Wednesday, October 21 (7.45pm) one day on from the original date.

Fulham against Reading now also has an earlier kick-off time of 1.30pm on October 21, and Whites face Rotherham United on Tuesday, December 29 (7.45pm) rather than the day before, as originally scheduled.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-former-tottenham-wolves-blackpool-9549729?

WhiteJC

Italian clubs monitoring Fulham striker

Italian clubs Sassuolo, Chievo and Udinese are all monitoring Fulham striker Konstantinos Mitroglou, reports Forza Italia.

Fulham are looking to offload the striker who hasn't had the best of times at Craven Cottage. Signed for around £12 million in January 2014, the Greek has had various injury and fitness problems which limited him to just three appearances.

The Cottagers were relegated from the Premier League in May of that year and were keen to get Mitroglou off the books as they could not sustain his wages in the second tier.

He was shipped out on loan to Olympiacos, where he largely impressed, scoring 16 goals in 24 appearances.

Now according to Sky Sport Italia, the 27-year-old is due to leave West London this summer with Sassuolo expected to follow up their registered interest with a former offer for the Greece international.

Fellow Serie A side Chievo and Udinese are also monitoring the situation and are weighing up a move.

Read more at http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/italian-clubs-monitoring-fulham-striker/?#eGo9uz2OAz6xsIIt.99

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: FULHAM MIDFIELDER BEN PRINGLE MEETS THE BOOT ROOM

From non-league to the Championship, Fulham's summer recruit Ben Pringle has experienced a terrific rise to the second highest tier of English football. Having started his journey at Wallsend Boys – the same youth outfit as Alan Shearer and Steve Bruce – the 26-year-old, then only a teenager, made his move to West Bromwich Albion, where he was unfortunate not to make the grade.

A spell outside the football league followed, as he earned his merit at Newcastle Blue Star, before joining Morpeth Town, and later Ilkeston Town. However, destined for bigger things, his performances at this level soon attracted the attention of Nigel Clough's Derby, the side that offered the Geordie his first shot at senior action in the Championship.

Nonetheless, still only in his early twenties at this stage, and despite showing a tremendous amount of promise, Pringle was not content with his role as a peripheral player with the Midlands club. Following a brief spell on loan with Torquay United, he made the admirable decision to join League Two outfit Rotherham United.

A double promotion ensued, with Pringle playing a starring role in the Millers' impressive climb up the hazardous English football ladder. It took a second placed finish in 2013, and a victory at Wembley – in front of 43,000 spectators – just a year later to confirm Rotherham's Championship status.

Five years on from the summer in which he first signed for the Yorkshire based-club, Pringle has now moved onto pastures new. Indeed, following a successful final season with the Millers – in which they achieved their ultimate goal of avoiding the Championship drop zone – the Geordie opted to see out the end of his contract, before sealing a move to Craven Cottage with Fulham.

Less than a week after his switch, we sat down with Ben to discuss his recent transfer; a move he is "delighted" with. Following his departure from Rotherham he has been speaking to a few teams who had been interested. However, as soon as he learnt of Fulham's interest in his services, he was quick to push a move. "As soon as I knew there was interest, I wanted to sign there," he said. "I think the platform they have set themselves, to kick on and try to get back in the Premier League, is why I wanted to sign here. It's a massive club."

Ben recorded seven assists, while creating an impressive 99 chances on his return to the Championship (via Squawka.com)

Understandably eager to make his competitive debut, it was the opening fixture of the season that first attracted Ben's attention upon the release of the 2015/16 fixture list. The Cottagers travel to Cardiff City on the opening day of the campaign, before meeting Rotherham at the New York Stadium towards the end of August. "The first thing I looked for was the opening game of the season and when I would make my debut," he said, "Then of course I looked for both of the Rotherham games. It will be nice to go back and I am looking forward to it."

Considering his contribution during his time with the Millers, one would imagine that Ben's return will be met with a tremendous level of respect. After all, who could fault someone for wishing to achieve a personal dream. For the 26-year-old, the ambition and professionalism shown at Fulham is exactly what is expected of a club aiming to one day return to the highest echelon of the Football League.

Ben may only have joined his new club relatively recently, but already he has noticed distinct differences between the set-up of a side who were operating in the Premier League a matter of seasons ago and Rotherham, who's success far outweighs the quality of the facilities at their disposal; testament to the players, staff and fans who have steered the club to such heights.

"The first thing I noticed was the size of the training ground and the facilities inside," Ben described. "From the back room and fitness staff to the work on the training pitch, everything is very thorough."

Like all those who experience relegation from the top flight, Fulham is evidently a club chomping at the bit to make a return to the country's most illustrious sporting division. A theme of "professionalism" ran throughout our discussion with Ben; a trait that will play a vital role when it comes to the London club's future prospects.

Despite his departure, Ben's achievements with Rotherham will not be easily forgotten. He accrued 146 league appearances throughout his spell, playing a major role in the club's aforementioned back-to-back promotions. We were eager to hear the 26-year-old's best memories from his time with the Millers. Naturally, his trip to Wembley – during which he successfully converted a penalty in the final shoot-out – ranked at the top of his list of anecdotes.

"Obviously the final at Wembley was by far the greatest memory, but the best personal memories for me include scoring the winner against Sheffield Wednesday in the [Capital One] cup." This first round fixture saw Ben smash the Yorkshire outfit ahead after just ten minutes, in a match that would eventually conclude with a 2-1 scoreline.

He also made reference to the play-off semi-final home leg versus Preston, a tie the Millers won 4-2 on aggregate, "for me, I thought I played well and managed to assist two goals which I was pleased with." He added, "For the team it was a great night as we knew we were going to Wembley." Indeed, the club travelled to London just over a week later, and as the old cliché goes, the rest is history.

Although difficult to believe, it was not all plain sailing for Ben at Rotherham. Indeed, after an impressive few months at the club – a period in which he made nine appearances in total – he soon found first team football difficult to come by. "For whatever reason the manager (Andy Scott) just didn't like me," he explained. "I tried everything I could to get in the team. I remember not having a day off for eight weeks, constantly asking what I could do and how I could get better."

However, in mid-March the situation soon changed, as an under-pressure Andy Scott took a chance on the underused winger. The manager was sacked soon after, current boss Steve Evans took the reigns, and Ben's career with the Millers went from strength to strength. "I played the last eleven games of the season and I have never looked back," he described.

Would he ever have expected such a meteoric rise, both as a team and on a personal level? The answer is simple, no. The level-headed Geordie could only have dreamt of the club's achievements over the past few years following his descent to League Two in 2011.

"When I first signed, I didn't really know what kind of journey I would go on with the team," he confessed. "I would never have expected in a millions years that we would eventually achieve what we did. To get promoted from League Two was kind of expected, especially with the new stadium completed. However, after that, to then go again and stay in the play-offs all season was unbelievable."

With Rotherham promoted to the Championship, Ben's previous experience of the division from his time at Derby – with whom he made 20 league appearances – proved vitally important. "I think that helped massively. It made me aware of the quality of players and teams in the division, and I experienced playing at some top grounds in front of big crowds. When I returned with Rotherham, I felt I knew what was coming."

He continued to express the benefit of training alongside the international players plying their trade at Derby, describing this as "an invaluable learning curve." Among those names were current Celtic midfielder Kris Commons, now-Porto striker Alberto Bueno and retired Welshman/Match of the Day's 'marmite' pundit Robbie Savage. Playing with them daily helped him "massively".

Ben's experience proved a tremendous asset as he enjoyed a stellar return to the second tier of English football. He scored no less than three goals, while providing a further seven assists – a tally he is determined to build upon at Craven Cottage – as the Millers achieved a 21st place finish and survival, albeit by the slimmest of margins.

2014/15 Championship Final League Standings

Despite his impressive form, when discussing the step-up from League One, Ben was quick to point out the differences between the two divisions. "The jump from League One to the Championship is huge," he said. "Every team has quality players all over and you really need to concentrate for the full ninety minutes." Having successfully established himself at this level, he is now hoping that regular game-time at Fulham will serve to improve his performance.

We quickly moved on to discuss the earlier years of Ben's playing career, with particular interest towards the time he spent outside the football league. Between 2007 and 2009, the Geordie spent the opening stages of his time as a senior player between the non-league Northern divisions, with spells at Newcastle Blue Star, Morpeth and then Ilkeston Town.

Despite asserting that his spell outside the football league provided little values in terms of his footballing development, Ben appreciates the contribution this experience had on a more personal level. "I don't think it assisted with my development, as anybody at those levels will tell you, the games are very physical. I think it just made me grow up a bit and realise I'm not playing against youth team players anymore."

"It's a tough experience, but one I really enjoyed," he added. "Especially now as I am lucky enough to be at the club I am. I would definitely advise the young pros at Premier League clubs to drop down, perhaps not to that kind of level, but certainly League Two/League One standard, as that experience in two proper leagues is invaluable."

We also touched upon his time at Wallsend Boys Club – an organisation renowned for the footballing stars it has produced. With the likes of Premier League record top scorer Alan Shearer, and current top flight pros Michael Carrick and Fraser Forster, all graduating from the North Tyneside outfit, we asked Ben if he had felt a greater sense of expectation, even at youth level.

"To be honest, when I was that young I didn't really pay much attention to the players that had come through before me," he explained. "As a young lad you just want that first break through with a professional team (Ben's first shot at this would be with West Bromwich Albion) and even then you never know how long it is going to last."

Contrary to what one may expect, Ben said that he failed to notice any differences at Wallsend during his time spent as a youngster, although he now appreciates the calibre and prestige of the club. "Being in the position that I am in now, I feel very honoured to have come through the Boys Club and be mentioned alongside some of the great players," he said.

"At the time I didn't notice anything different," he continued. "Newcastle is a city which at young ages produces good footballers. Wallsend Boys Club was brilliant because it gives those talented youngsters a chance."

To end our chat in the most light hearted manner possible, we asked Ben to give us his ideal five-team (including a manager), consisting of the best players he had ever featured alongside – a side that is perhaps unsurprisingly dominated by Rotherham United, both past and present.

Adam Collin (Rotherham United) – "After saving two penalties at Wembley, and being unbelievable in the League One campaign, he would be my goalkeeper."

Craig Morgan (Wigan Athletic – formerly Rotherham United) – "He was solid in League Two and League One, and improved against massively in the Championship. A tough opponent to play against."

Kris Commons (Celtic – formerly Derby County) – "Technically unbelievable and always makes something happen."

Lee Frecklington (Rotherham United) – "Also full of energy – gives 100% every game and training session. Never lets you down."

Tom Hitchcock (MK Dons – formerly Rotherham United) – "Scored a twenty minute hat-trick away at Gillingham in League One – one of the best I have ever seen. He is also one of my best mates, so he would be upfront."

Ben also reserved special praise for former Derby manager Nigel Clough – who he selected as manager: "I would not be in the great position that I am today without Nigel changing my life and giving me the opportunity at Derby. To sign a young lad from eight divisions below was a big risk for him and for that I am grateful."

The perfect way to end a thoroughly enjoyable interview. The Boot Room would like to say a huge thanks to Ben for being such a good sport, and we wish you all the best for a successful career with Fulham.

http://tbrfootball.com/exclusive-fulham-midfielder-ben-pringle-meets-the-boot-room/?

WhiteJC

Fulham in pole position to sign Nottingham Forest target Jamie O'Hara, trial confirmed

Former Tottenham and Wolves midfielder Jamie O'Hara is on trial with Fulham after a spell at Blackpool.

Fulham have taken Jamie O'Hara on trial, the club have confirmed via their official website.

The midfielder began pre-season training with the Craven Cottage side on Monday, as he bids to show he is deserving of a permanent deal.

HITC reported in late May that O'Hara was a target for both Fulham and Nottingham Forest, while London24 added earlier this month that QPR were also in the market to sign the former Tottenham and Portsmouth midfielder.

O'Hara's career went badly off course at Wolves after a torrid two-and-a-half seasons and he was released last summer, eventually signing with Blackpool on a short-term deal.

He was unable to help them avoid relegation but impressed with his displays, going on to win the club's player of the season award.

Team   Goals   Assists   Appearances
Jamie O'Hara   Blackpool   2   8   27

The Blackpool Gazette reported earlier this month that the Tangerines had not given up hope of re-signing the 28-year-old, but he has his sights at playing at a higher level.

His experience could come in handy at Fulham, with the club drawn into a relegation battle last season after high expectations heading into the season - and he is in prime position to show the club over the coming days or weeks that he can play a valuable role.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/06/29/fulham-in-pole-position-to-sign-nottingham-forest-target-jamie-o/?