watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

are the rules different in the wwc

Started by Barrett487, July 01, 2015, 01:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrett487

so... German gets pulled down in box... Penalty awarded and missed.

Yellow card only!!!!!!! WTF? No one between player and goal/goalie..... Errr? (Unless my eyesight's failing)

No disrespect to our American followers, just want the game played to the rules.

As for throw ins.....

Why don't they play to the rules?

God The Mechanic

The refs are generally worse than in the men's game.  But at the same time, how many instances have there been of big calls getting cocked up in the men's game too.  It happens very frequently.

Barrett487

I don't accept that in 'big tournaments' , decisions need to be right and the woman's game needs to achieve credibility, not incredulity. Having said that, I accept that the best refs can get it wrong..... But flagrant leniancy? Surely?

fulhamben

Quote from: God The Mechanic on July 01, 2015, 01:35:49 AM
The refs are generally worse than in the men's game.  But at the same time, how many instances have there been of big calls getting cocked up in the men's game too.  It happens very frequently.
but this isnt just a cock up, a cock up would be not giving the foul. this happened to us aswell against canada, and its either a directive to not send players off, or the refs do not know the rules.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

God The Mechanic

It's been the same in the Copa America.  Some referees are bad.  UK refs are generally pretty decent, in the grand scheme of things, so as soon as we see refs from less developed (football-wise) countries or federations we notice how poor they are.  It's not a directive, it's just people who aren't very good at their jobs.  It happens, unfortunately.

Case in point - 70th minute of the Argentina-Paraguay game.  Free kick given on the edge of the box after an Argentine defender pulled a Paraguayan back.  No other defender near him yet it wasn't even a yellow.

Fulhamerica23

As an American, the decision to not send off Johnston changed the match for me. Should have been off, wouldn't have changed the missed penalty by any means, but I don't think we see off Germany with 10 ladies on the pitch. I just don't. Turned to my mates who were watching it with me, after the miss I said, "we'll go on to win 2-0."

Excellent game of football though. Wide open first half. Germany was on the front foot the second until that moment.

btings

Yeah, she should have gotten sent off, and the decision to award a PK for the foul on Morgan was also suspect.  Some very strange decisions in this match.

(I'm also American.)

gang

Shame really I was looking forward to a Germany v England final.

ScalleysDad

You are right about throw ins Mr B. First day back for any coach of a girls or womens team should include a gentle reminder of how to take one properly. I am astonished how technically poor some of them have been and equally astonished none have been penalised as a foul throw. It must be twelve years ago when the Centre of Excellence for girls started and if any of the fifty odd girls at Exeter's took a throw like that it would not happen again.
I am astonished.

Blanco

Quote from: gang on July 01, 2015, 08:22:30 AM
Shame really I was looking forward to a Germany v England final.

USA vs Japan final you mean.

Lighthouse

One could argue that the refs in the Womens World Cup are at least consistent. A few times players have been brought down in the area when through on goal but no sending off just a booking. A decision  I prefer. The punishment is the penalty, why pile on more punishment?

As for the throw ins. Yes I agree. Said before that I am expecting a few under arm throw ins to creep in and go unpunished.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Holders

Maybe there were a lot of American supporters there and she just bottled it.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Forever Fulham

Hope Solo got into the head of the penalty taker.

As to the Julie Johnston foul on the German player, yes, it looked more like a red card offense than a yellow one.  But yellow she got, and those are the breaks.  My personal theory is that her good looks and general demeanor had some influence on getting the yellow--a somewhat silly theory, I know.  Refs see it in real time, and sometimes the angles of the approach, the spacing, suggests the carding could go either way.  It's a semi-final of a world cup, so maybe the ref gave her the benefit of the doubt.  One thing I do know for sure: at 11 v 11 the Germans did not outplay the Americans.  I think the U.S. deserved the win. 

Blanco

I'm watching the womens beach volleyball world cup. Much more entertaining.

snarks

I did think in real time not a red, in slow motion I thought it was, although I'm not sure how much of a pull it was for the German to fall like that (they are picking up from tips the mens game!). Cleasrly the USA penalty wasn't, a) it was outside the box 2) it looked like obstruction more.

However the bad referring is just for this tournament, look at the England v Italy u21 game, the 3rd Italian goal came from as clear a foul throw as I've seen in a long time. I can't see how anyone missed it. Also the england womens u17 match or whatever it was, when they had to reply the last few seconds because of a referee cock up.